Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Some fan art I can’t find anymore on twitter of the main 3 palling around reminded me of this hilarious piece of art created for the movies for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Audacious armaments predate anime and video games by a good while, but it was tough back in the day, seeing as how if you were in a position to design said gear, you'd either be wearing it yourself, or with a vested interest in keeping the person who would be using it alive.

Still, extravagance will always find a way.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

Get used to Zodd. Not sure why but Miura loved using him whenever possible.
Fair. Guess he got attached.

Popo posted:

I wish I could remember where I read it but in an interview Miura talks about how important research and reference was for him but how difficult it was for him pre-internet. And some of the more ridiculous "no way that's real" poo poo he comes up with is often a straight copy of some actual armour (often display pieces meant to show craftmanship rather than be practical war gear but still...)

Big Poofy Sleeve Armour

Rooster Visor
That Rooster Visor is honestly horrifying. Still gotta hold out for the angler fish helmet, though.

So, I just got to the part where Griffith burned the Queen and her subordinates to death. It was a great payback from him, but I kind of have to roll my eyes that he just sort of knew Foss would become his enemy one day. Very convenient that he picked him out to help betray his comrades. Still, very nice that the mercenaries can live the high life as nobles now and nothing will go wrong and ruin this for everyone. Miura really knows how to play the dramatic irony. I couldn't imagine this flashback being at the beginning of the manga instead. I just keep thinking "How is this going to get ruined?" and it's great and tense.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh believe me you're just getting to the top of that hill. Enjoy the ride down..... "enjoy."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm glad that now people can also read Golden Age etc. with a competent translation, instead of suffering through Band of the Hawk scans's tedious "NO, IT'S GATTSU AND GRIFFISU" type dumb TL.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mazed posted:

Audacious armaments predate anime and video games by a good while, but it was tough back in the day, seeing as how if you were in a position to design said gear, you'd either be wearing it yourself, or with a vested interest in keeping the person who would be using it alive.

Still, extravagance will always find a way.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

Oh believe me you're just getting to the top of that hill. Enjoy the ride down..... "enjoy."
Okay, was not expecting Griffith to seduce and sleep with Charlotte, only to find out her father has had depraved thoughts about her. I felt like he'd do something rash at Guts' departure, but not all this. Especially the incest bit. Everyone talks about the those two rape scenes, but not this...

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TheLoneStar posted:

Guts had ONE job. Just had to kill one guy and he hosed up and killed a kid too.

But for real though, bet that's going to haunt him for years to come, poor Adonis. Something I never commented on was how much I really love the art of Berserk. Every page is amazing, and there's so much detail in the battles, the armor, the clothing of the royalty. Such a treat for the eyes.

I mean it's not entirely Guts fault. For being so smart, Griffith did the equivalent of sending the loving Juggernaut on a stealth assassination mission. At the very least should have stopped Guts when he saw him going out the door with his meat cleaver equipped and go "dude, maybe try a knife or a poisoned arrow, you know, for ironic ha ha purposes"

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 24, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

TheLoneStar posted:

Okay, was not expecting Griffith to seduce and sleep with Charlotte, only to find out her father has had depraved thoughts about her. I felt like he'd do something rash at Guts' departure, but not all this. Especially the incest bit. Everyone talks about the those two rape scenes, but not this...

Yeah that was a super creepy part of the manga. I think both anime versions of the Golden Age excise it.

Guts using his giant very noticeable sword for an assassination is pretty hilarious. It’s necessary plot wise for him to use it to escape when things go bad but it’s funny he brought it along in the first place. Our protagonist can’t be seen without his giant sword...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

I'm glad that now people can also read Golden Age etc. with a competent translation, instead of suffering through Band of the Hawk scans's tedious "NO, IT'S GATTSU AND GRIFFISU" type dumb TL.

Well.... Dark Horse's early translations were more competent, perhaps. I wouldn't go as far as to call it good. A lot of the more complex thoughts and emotional scenes ended up kinda mangled and hard to follow. A lot of characters often talked in an overly stiff way, too. Still, it was at least more accurate than the scanlations, which frequently got a lot of very important lines wrong. Dark Horse switched translators shortly before the eclipse, and the new translator was a decent bit better than the old guy, thankfully. They've stuck with him ever since.

Another thing I didn't like about the original DH translator is that it seemed like he was really trying to play up the edgy nature of the manga, dropping slurs and such at totally inappropriate moments. He couldn't just let it be normal edgy, it had to be edgy edgy. I'm glad they eventually gave him the boot.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

dropping slurs and such at totally inappropriate moments. He couldn't just let it be normal edgy, it had to be edgy edgy.

Reminded me of the favorite line of my 8 year old inner child.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

lezard_valeth posted:

I mean it's not entirely Guts fault. For being so smart, Griffith did the equivalent of sending the loving Juggernaut on a stealth assassination mission. At the very least should have stopped Guts when he saw him going out the door with his meat cleaver equipped and go "dude, maybe try a knife or a poisoned arrow, you know, for ironic ha ha purposes"
I was kidding about giving Guts a hard time. But you're right, he was still pretty much the worst person for the job. He's the guy that goes into battle and wins by swinging a giant sword around like a buzzsaw. Of course he'd get caught.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Should've sent Pippin, much less conspicuous.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Griffith was just using his one solution to every problem which was to chuck Guts at it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

All of this is of course an intentional bit of character building from Miura. Judeau would've been the ideal choice (among the named characters, at least), but Griffith has come to rely on Guts so utterly that for him there's no other choice.

edit: Beaten by someone who put it much more succinctly.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hunt11 posted:

Griffith was just using his one solution to every problem which was to chuck Guts at it.

Someone post the tactician meme

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
https://twitter.com/AruJoestar/status/1396576752856616960

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Good to see the band back together after Guts left. Only took like, two chapters after he left. But I gotta say, Casca really did become more likable, even if she does still go on about Griffith a bit too much. It also seems that demons are starting to spring forth now...that Eclipse has to be right around the corner. And I bet that something like it happened with Midland, with those corpses all having that Brand that Guts has in the present time. I do feel for Griffith, even though I know he ends up betraying his humanity. A year of torture and all those wounds...

They just escaped the prison, and I'm so nervous that Griffith will do something horrible to Charlotte. I know he rapes Casca, but maybe he does something to the princess as well...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheLoneStar posted:

Good to see the band back together after Guts left. Only took like, two chapters after he left. But I gotta say, Casca really did become more likable, even if she does still go on about Griffith a bit too much. It also seems that demons are starting to spring forth now...that Eclipse has to be right around the corner. And I bet that something like it happened with Midland, with those corpses all having that Brand that Guts has in the present time. I do feel for Griffith, even though I know he ends up betraying his humanity. A year of torture and all those wounds...

They just escaped the prison, and I'm so nervous that Griffith will do something horrible to Charlotte. I know he rapes Casca, but maybe he does something to the princess as well...

Never is it truer to say

Yours is a black path through the night.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AssnQiOU54

God loving dammit. The 2017 anime finally got an emotion out of me, but at what cost.

(I had forgotten about this talk. Might be time to do a full reread)

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

What are opinions of the Berserk Redux fan edit movies around these parts, in this age? I've on the 5th movie or so, right after the bad god guys show up and things get nasty and violating in an over the top way should I keep watching or just switch to the manga?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ If you haven't read the manga, read the manga. There really is no 1:1 substitute for it, and any additional time it might take you to consume it could only be considered time well spent.

Well gently caress, just heard about Miura tonight in a stickied post on the Claymore subreddit of all places :negative:

Chalk up one more person who watch the anime way back in the day, had their mind melted by the last episode, and immediately started tracking down manga scans to find out what happened next. Cue me sporadically catching up with releases releases every couple of years, laughing that eventually that meant like 7 or 8 new chapters. I think they were still on the boat when I quit out last time, sounds like I have one more arc to finish things up for the foreseeable future :smith:

An old GBS 1.0 classic:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Compare Chapter 1 Guts to the Guts in basically any post-eclipse chapter for a good laugh.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I mean, he changed the direction of his throwing knife belt, but that's it. Not sure why that would be funny

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
how are the new HC editions like?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah the Black Swordsman arc art holds up pretty well, it's hardly like some of the anatomy in Phantom Blood JoJo

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I mean I'm not saying it was bad or anything, though Guts' face did look pretty different back then. I guess "good laugh" is bad wording on my part. It's more the disparity in the level of detail I was remarking on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It starts off as good art and evolves into amazing art. You're working with a very high baseline.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

TheLoneStar posted:

I was kidding about giving Guts a hard time. But you're right, he was still pretty much the worst person for the job. He's the guy that goes into battle and wins by swinging a giant sword around like a buzzsaw. Of course he'd get caught.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I always thought the collateral damage from sending Guts on the assassination mission was part of the point. Griffith also probably knew he was the most reliable, even if not the most subtle. I don’t think it was a mistake on Griffith’s part, even if it did also represent his over reliance on Guts.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Honestly pretty accurate.

I do like how this assassin group was built up to be able to slay thousands of men, but died within the span of two chapters. One even died by just getting stabbed by the king. Wyald and his guys are...something else. That poor farmer family. I knew the second they appeared and helped that they were gonna die. Also, Wyald just transformed and that was not what I was expecting. That weird eye-golem form with his torso as its head...very odd.

The fact that Griffith can't talk and we don't know his inner thoughts is making me increasingly nervous. He just keeps staring at the action and its so foreboding...

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

TheLoneStar posted:

Honestly pretty accurate.

I do like how this assassin group was built up to be able to slay thousands of men, but died within the span of two chapters. One even died by just getting stabbed by the king. Wyald and his guys are...something else. That poor farmer family. I knew the second they appeared and helped that they were gonna die. Also, Wyald just transformed and that was not what I was expecting. That weird eye-golem form with his torso as its head...very odd.

The fact that Griffith can't talk and we don't know his inner thoughts is making me increasingly nervous. He just keeps staring at the action and its so foreboding...

So close now, cant wait for the next post hah.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
He probably knows the gist of it by osmosis since it's THE most popular event of the series.

I'm more interested by his reaction to the mini arc right after.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TheLoneStar posted:

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Guts was chosen for the assassination mission because Griffith does not feel the need to maintain a veneer of nobility with him. This is because Guts is the only member of the Band of the Hawk who does not rely on Griffith. Guts does not need to believe in Griffith to be effective - think of why Corkus is so unnerved by Guts; he's not just jealous, Guts represents a real challenge to Griffith's cult of personality. Griffith would absolutely kill a child if it meant getting what he wanted, but he also wants to maintain his clean-cut reputation. His allowing Guts to see this side of him and then the following scene where Griffith talks of friendship has got to be one of the most important parts of the whole Golden Age.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

lezard_valeth posted:

He probably knows the gist of it by osmosis since it's THE most popular event of the series.

I'm more interested by his reaction to the mini arc right after.
All I know is that Griffith rapes Casca and becomes a God Hand. Aside from that, I sincerely have no idea about the actual details.

But speaking of which, Griffith has got his hands on The Behelit now and the next chapter is called Eclipse. I'm strapped in and ready to go.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

And now the landscape and sky is faces. Really didn't expect that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TheLoneStar posted:

In a better world this would be the thread title for an active series. :smith:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Things seem to have taken a bad turn for the ol' band of the hawk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheLoneStar posted:

Few ever do