Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

thetoughestbean posted:

(Blizzard will absolutely give her redemption because they only know one story)

It wasn't their fault, they were corrupted/possessed by something else! So someone else has to corrupt the corruption with light/goodness to make them not evil now! Bonus points if, like literally every other antagonistic action in WoW and now Warcraft as a whole, it can be traced back to an elder god being behind it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Every time I see them and their wretched tweets the like 'theme of disaster' beginning of One-Winded Angel starts going off in my head.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nuebot posted:

It wasn't their fault, they were corrupted/possessed by something else! So someone else has to corrupt the corruption with light/goodness to make them not evil now! Bonus points if, like literally every other antagonistic action in WoW and now Warcraft as a whole, it can be traced back to an elder god being behind it all.

Apparently all non-elder god problems can now be tracked back to the current villain and his minions, so that’s fun

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Max Wilco posted:

I find it's better not look at some horror games (or other horror related media) as something that's meant to scare you necessarily, but something that just pertains to a certain style or contains certain tropes.

Like there are a lot of people who still replay the older RE games, but I'd wager that a lot of those people don't find it scary having replayed it multiple times. That doesn't make them bad horror games, though. Even if you know where all the scares come from, the game can still be enjoyable.

I'd say that you wouldn't like a horror game enough to replay it unless it was ooky spooky enough the first time around to stick with you but maybe some people actually thought fixed camera tank controls were the pinnacle of game design and replayed it for the love of the craft.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I find it's better not look at some horror games (or other horror related media) as something that's meant to scare you necessarily, but something that just pertains to a certain style or contains certain tropes.

Like there are a lot of people who still replay the older RE games, but I'd wager that a lot of those people don't find it scary having replayed it multiple times. That doesn't make them bad horror games, though. Even if you know where all the scares come from, the game can still be enjoyable.

I don't disagree, and I enjoy the aesthetics of horror, but I do find that horror games who focus on the scares are missing the point. The newest RE tries so hard to be scary that it almost feels like it is on rails at times. It's got cool visuals, but I find it lacking as a game.

The best horror game is Dark Souls cmv

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Reposting this video on how Subnautica works to scare the player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz80210ipGc

The short version (which is a spoiler) is that it pulls its punches and would rather leave you almost dead rather than actually dead.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Jenny's decorating skills are just :discourse:

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1396606056344604672

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Bakeneko posted:

The internet didn’t create this kind of fandom obsessiveness, but it did make it worse.

Online friendships tend to have a very different dynamic compared to real-life friendships, and this isn’t necessarily a bad thing but it can become that in some circumstances. In real life you might watch movies with your friends but you usually do other stuff as well, and have other things in common besides watching the same kinds of movies even if it’s as simple as living in the same town. But online, groups of people tend to be much more narrowly focused. A community may form because they all love Star Wars, and so the love of Star Wars becomes the main, or only thing all these disparate people have in common. So when a member of this group sees someone else talking about how much they hate Star Wars, even in a completely different place, it feels like not just a difference in media preference but an attack on the very glue that holds the community they’re a part of together.

And the basic nature of online interaction doesn’t help things, either. People are hard-wired to look for clues in each others faces and voices, so being in a situation where you're talking to someone without being able to hear or see them can trick your subconscious into thinking they aren't really there. If you're not careful you can end up yelling and ranting at some person in a way you’d never do in real life, because on some level your subconscious doesn’t quite recognize them as a person.

Online friendships/followings can be great, but it can turn to enabling terrible behaviors and choices because your online friends don't have to deal with the real-life consequences of this enablement. They're entertained by and encouraging of a guy losing his mind for 12 hours about SJWs ruining Star Wars because they can hit the pause button and aren't dealing with this person lashing out about it at an real life hangout, or alienating friends. It's very easy for these people to be entertained by this stuff without considering how much it's wrecking this person's real life.

You can get that sort of circle of lovely people in real life, but with the internet it's so much for those people to find someone in desperate need of attention.

I've watched real-life friends go into a downward spiral of "only my online friends understand me" because the real-life friends were actually willing to call out bad ideas.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Xiran Jay Zhao posted a video about how their armpits don't stink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1eHIfUyYfs

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

She kinda does a tangent into Three Kingdoms stuff and holy poo poo would I love to see someone do a deep dive series on stuff like Zhuge Liang the OG Gary Stu at some point.

Alacron fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 24, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Nuns with Guns posted:

Honestly, the fact that white people have wet earwax explains so much that I hadn't ever needed explaining before now. Q-tips, for instance.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I know this is a page back but I am absolutely reeling from this lmao

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Acute Grill posted:

I'd say that you wouldn't like a horror game enough to replay it unless it was ooky spooky enough the first time around to stick with you but maybe some people actually thought fixed camera tank controls were the pinnacle of game design and replayed it for the love of the craft.

I played RE1 Classic for the first last year, and while I didn't find it super-scary, I thought it worked well as an horror-themed adventure game with some action elements supporting it. Same deal with RE2, though I got burned out trying to do each scenario back-to-back. RE3's the weakest of the trilogy, but Nemesis does make things pretty tense.

Famethrowa posted:

I don't disagree, and I enjoy the aesthetics of horror, but I do find that horror games who focus on the scares are missing the point. The newest RE tries so hard to be scary that it almost feels like it is on rails at times. It's got cool visuals, but I find it lacking as a game.

The best horror game is Dark Souls cmv

I mean, the RE8 devs said that the game was 'balanced based on feedback that Resident Evil 7 was "too scary to play."' so...:shrug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

theGrooseofLegend posted:

The rest of her channel doesn't really have these types of videos, but this is a pretty cool video on Kickstarter and how game funding works with Friday Night Funkin's kickstarter as the main example. Games are expensive, who'da thunk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHBMUKmY6pg

Highlight for me is when the guest goes through "cheaper" kickstarter successes and how almost all them went broke.
this is a good video for a variety of reasons, it breaks down the costs of servers for even small projects that want multiplayer, it discusses the actual cost of the game(20 dollars) vs the kickstarter itself(2 million+ when the video was made), and it mentions things like ninjamuffin's past.

There was a similar video that went in depth into development costs when people were losing their minds over the cost of adding Squigly to Skullgirls, people thought it was INSANE that they wanted...iirc 180,000 to add a single fighting game character in. But the video very succinctly broke down exactly where that money goes, I can't seem to find it though.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

I distinctly recall one or two posters in the last Internet Personality thread where it was incredibly obvious they didn't watch the gay space rock cartoon but thought it redeemed fascists anyways (it never did). I'm glad that people in this thread know that take is bullshit and that Lily Orchard is both a terrible critic and a terrible human being. I refuse to watch her "______ is Garbage and Here's Why" videos out of principle but I do know she and her stans were really pissed at Sarah Z's video on bad media criticism. That and she got kicked out of Hbomberguy's Discord server after harassing at least two of it's other members. Totally (not) looking forward to when she gets around to reviewing The Owl House or whatever.

Anyways I think we can all agree that anyone who genuinely believes that either SU or SPOP is fascist apologia is a terminally online weirdo who needs to log off.

Genthil fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 24, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

this is a good video for a variety of reasons, it breaks down the costs of servers for even small projects that want multiplayer, it discusses the actual cost of the game(20 dollars) vs the kickstarter itself(2 million+ when the video was made), and it mentions things like ninjamuffin's past.

There was a similar video that went in depth into development costs when people were losing their minds over the cost of adding Squigly to Skullgirls, people thought it was INSANE that they wanted...iirc 180,000 to add a single fighting game character in. But the video very succinctly broke down exactly where that money goes, I can't seem to find it though.

That gave us the best Tweet ever in ‘you guys are in the video game business not the rent paying business.’

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Harrow posted:

I know this is a page back but I am absolutely reeling from this lmao

Yeah, you don't need to have played much or any WoW to know that's stupid, but oh my god does it make it a whole lot worse if you have.

Alacron posted:

She kinda does a tangent into Three Kingdoms stuff and holy poo poo would I love to see someone do a deep dive series on stuff like Zhuge Liang the OG Gary Stu at some point.

The boys of Shu Han got a whole, whole lot of whitewashing and puffing up in general thanks to the timeframe in which Luo Guanzhong wrote ROT3K, during which the Ming wouldn't have been super happy with it presented otherwise.

Like for their historic-real counterparts, Liu Bei was a huge sneaky rear end in a top hat and his 'man of the people' shtick was largely an act, who'd run out on people at the drop of a hat. Zhang Fei at least was probably the most accomplished military man of the time on any side, but the dude was genuinely barbaric and terrible about a lot of things even for the time regarding how he treated prisoners, enemies, civilians and even his own men, which is why his end came from going out on a ride with two of his guys, who yanked him off his horse once they were far enough out, stabbed the hell out of him, chopped his head off and then brought it to the nearest enemy garrison. Guan Yu is the most agreeable of that trio in the real stuff, his biggest flaw supposedly having been that he was the most vain person on the planet and super up on his own hero worship.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 24, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mother's basement has been devoured by One Piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO7fCjdhP48&hd=1

edit: aw yeah, he's got the right opinions on which crewmember is the best. it's usopp and it's not even close

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 24, 2021

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Sarcopenia posted:

Ms. Lola made a 2 hour long video about Call Me By Your Name and all of the controversies the surrounds it.
Ms. Lola- "We need to talk about Call Me By Your Name"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVp1F7I1kjI

This got posted ages back but I just got done watching it and wanted to signal boost it. An extremely comprehensive and thoughtful look at a lot of subjects that are very important and personal to me. Cannot recommend it enough and thank you Sarcopenia for introducing me to it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

now this is podracing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People try to treat this as a big controversy like the Space Jam Lola Bunny thing but uh, isn't that how Resident Evil games operate usually?

Hi, I've never played a Resident Evil game so I'm thoroughly unqualified to have an opinion on the series but I've seen an LP of 2&3 remake 5, 6, and 7 so far. Isn't that kinda how character sequels work? Did anyone find 4 scary compared to 2? 1 to 3 works for Jill I suppose considering how hard fighting Nemesis is. But for Chris I dunno. I don't think 5 or 7's DLC he was in was really that scary.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 24, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I think I watched that person’s video about Korra. I also forget the name of the person who made it, but that might be for the best because while half of the video was decent critiques of the show the other half was just venomous bile and boy it put me off. Also one bit that really bugged me because they kept referring as the nega-avatar as being an injection of Christianity and like... no? Having a good deity and a bad deity of equal power is very much not an Abrahamic thing, God/Allah is explicitly more powerful than whatever evil force is in the world

Kay and Skittles makes the same point about the Dark Avatar and honestly with how well he makes it, I'm inclined to agree. The relative power levels aren't important, the important thing is that the dark spirit and the light spirit don't exist in balance, as you'd expect from an Eastern style mythology, the dark spirit is explicitly evil and will destroy everything if not sealed away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6alQz2CEsz0

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

People try to treat this as a big controversy like the Space Jam Lola Bunny thing but uh, isn't that how Resident Evil games operate usually?

Hi, I've never played a Resident Evil game so I'm thoroughly unqualified to have an opinion on the series but I've seen an LP of 2&3 remake 5, 6, and 7 so far. Isn't that kinda how character sequels work? Did anyone find 4 scary compared to 2? 1 to 3 works for Jill I suppose considering how hard fighting Nemesis is. But for Chris I dunno. I don't think 5 or 7's DLC he was in was really that scary.

RE4 was very much renowned on release for how good it was at making you go "OH poo poo! OH gently caress! gently caress! gently caress! FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK...." and became extremely influential on gaming as a whole because of it. It's a different kind of horror than you initially think of when people talk about "Horror" but it is very effective at it.

The impact of it has been dulled somewhat by the development of the medium over the past 15 years but at the time there was nothing else like it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Something I think about when horror game discourse comes up is the time after Amnesia blew up and suddenly people were coming out of the woodwork and insisting that any game where you can shoot the monster isn't a real horror game, with the strong implication that horror games can only be one thing and that one thing is Amnesia.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 24, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

To be fair for a while it felt like every horror game was also a lot more shooty than usual, aping RE4 or otherwise, so yanking the guns out of your hands was a good way to make you more helpless again. Horror games in general are just kind of hard depending on what level of horror you're going for, if you're too able to fight what's after you then they just turn into speedbumps, if you're helpless but what's after you is a bit overkill death becomes more frustrating than threatening, if you're too subtle and then don't have your moments then the game can be boring, if the game is wall to wall nightmare torture gore then the atrocity tourism becomes mundane and so on.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

imo RE8 is way scarier than 7. The village has you fighting off enemies that move fast and can flank you while you have limited ammo (and one really tense part where you have to walk through a crop field filled with them). The castle section is pretty much RE7 with you being stalked by an invincible enemy. Then you have the dollhouse section which is just pure pants-making GBS threads horror. The waterway is low on scares, but then you get to the factory that's filled with body-horror mechanical monsters. All of which is backed by amazingly unnerving sound design.

They just added more moments that are focused on action instead like the return to the village and the final act.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dabir posted:

Kay and Skittles makes the same point about the Dark Avatar and honestly with how well he makes it, I'm inclined to agree. The relative power levels aren't important, the important thing is that the dark spirit and the light spirit don't exist in balance, as you'd expect from an Eastern style mythology, the dark spirit is explicitly evil and will destroy everything if not sealed away.

Taoism isn't the only "Eastern-style mythology", and even then it doesn't exactly work like that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

buddhism, famous for not having any malevolent entities

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Jamie Faith posted:

WHAT? lmao after all that poo poo about shipping minors with adults being hosed up (which it is of course) and she did that? :stonk:

you know how you hear about the most explicitly homophobic anti-gay-legislation politicians cruising in bathrooms and being caught with male prostitutes near-exclusively?

that's also how it works in fandom. i had a (thankfully ex-)friend with the same attitude, and the more "protect the children from irresponsible problematic media" they got on their public twitter, the more weird gross poo poo piled up on their private.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

this take will always drive me crazy because like yeah love triangles can be trite and cliche but there’s like a very palpable “conflict and drama bad, only easy fluff” aura coming off it. like polyamory can be a solution to love triangles for sure but it’s not One Weird Trick For Good Storytelling

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Fargle posted:

RE4 was very much renowned on release for how good it was at making you go "OH poo poo! OH gently caress! gently caress! gently caress! FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK...." and became extremely influential on gaming as a whole because of it. It's a different kind of horror than you initially think of when people talk about "Horror" but it is very effective at it.

The impact of it has been dulled somewhat by the development of the medium over the past 15 years but at the time there was nothing else like it.

Ah, so it's just a different flavor of it compared to what you'd normally think of horror as. Okay, I can understand that.

That said, I am also very dumb and if you give me a gun; that I don't have trouble finding ammo for, and is effective at killing enemies, it will make me think of fighting things as less 'Oh god oh geeze oh gently caress' and more like 'This is a challenge I have to overcome' Like, most things don't usually have a ranged attack in RE.

I do think that the option of 'yeah, there's weapons everywhere go nuts' but nothing works, is a way more effective one than just disabling every option of defending yourself entirely. I think trying and finding it's useless is a good way to go about it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VEMLNg3ICo&t=194s

That said, for how injured you get in 7 and 8 nothing will be scarier than just putting more than 2 lickers in a room.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I think Voidburgers LP of RE2 demonstrated the fine line between scary and annoying pretty well.
To some Mr. X will always be terrifying. To others he becomes a chore to deal with more than anything.

Also RE8 isnt scary guys.
The puppets said so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx4tDiKNNJU

(Japan is still great when it comes to commercials)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dabir posted:

The relative power levels are extremely important though. The inevitable victory of good/heaven/God is a fundamental part of Christianity and the devil’s quest to ruin everything is ultimately futile, the stakes are how much damage he can do in the meantime.

The cosmology of the nega-avatar is a direct infusion of Manichaeism, which like Zoroastrianism has a fundamental cosmological conflict between light and dark, but unlike Zoroastrianism doesn’t have a promise of the future victory of the light.

I’m sympathetic to the idea that western ideas got added to the setting’s detriment but it wasn’t Christianity

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Kay uses they/them btw.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ok seriously, please tell me she isn't talking about Sylvanas here

People losing their minds over Sylvanas warcrimes is kinda funny because since day one she was always written as an ethically challenged person who'd do anything to accomplish her goals, they just removed the single figleaf of "i'm doing it for my people, promise, wink wink" that she had going on and people really bought into.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

A naked attempt by the simp lobby to increase production of simp characters, smdh.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DeafNote posted:

I think Voidburgers LP of RE2 demonstrated the fine line between scary and annoying pretty well.
To some Mr. X will always be terrifying. To others he becomes a chore to deal with more than anything.

For me that fine line is whether or not I can kill it, in direct opposite to what other people seem to think. I love Mr. X and Nemesis in the original games because as annoying as it is when they pop their asses out; you can bring them down. You even get cool rewards for it! But they get back up after you leave the screen. You can dump a lot of your resources into that and they're still undaunting, at best you've stopped yourself from being harassed for a bit. But then you get to RE2 and 3's remakes (and don't get me wrong here, I did like 2's remake overall) where Mr. X is just an unstoppable force, like a lot of other nemesis-like monsters that started showing up in horror games post RE2 and 3, the invincible monster in Dead Space comes to mind here or the big murder ghosts in Fatal Frame, where you just can't really do anything about it. It's just there to be invincible, get in your way and kill you. It stops being scary, or even really intimidating, very fast since you learn not to waste resources on it and there's not even the pipe dream of "Well if I shoot it just a few more times maybe it'll go down". They basically just turn the stage into an auto-scroller stage from mario. Sure sucks when the screen out scrolls you and you die, but it's not really scary, there's nothing you can do about it except not get caught.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Captain Fargle posted:

This got posted ages back but I just got done watching it and wanted to signal boost it. An extremely comprehensive and thoughtful look at a lot of subjects that are very important and personal to me. Cannot recommend it enough and thank you Sarcopenia for introducing me to it.

seconding this. I should watch more of her stuff, two videos I've seen were v good

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021

Captain Fargle posted:

This ancient video is still my favorite goof about how intense RE4 was at the time, especially compared to its peers since the PS2 gen was when fidelity + storage space reached the points where games loved to just jam a ton of unnecessary cutscenes into everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4OZcV-5fE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I'm hanging too hard for all these Lily Orchard hot takes. I mean, there's so many of them