Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Everyone posted:

Horse Thor.

C'mon you MCU bastards. Give us Beta Ray Bill.

Even if they do give us Bill... I doubt he will earn Stormbreaker the same way.

Though I suppose we do know Bill exists in some form or fashion, what with his cameo in Ragnarok

Maybe if Hemsworth ever retires, Bill would be his logical successor? Unless they go with King Thor and bring in his daughters

I can't see Portman holding that level of importance to the franchise, so I don't think her as Thor/Valkyrie will last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Who knows? But I can’t see Disney letting a Horse Thor be the star of its own movie. Unless it’s part of an assemble like Guardians of the Galaxy or something.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i don't follow the comics so i am moderately interested to see where the loki show goes. i skim past loki discussion in this thread which, combined with my truly awful memory, means i can read this thread while remaining mostly unspoiled

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Maybe Loki will time travel back to the beginning of time and create the first mutant. Or is Miss Minutes the first mutant? Owen Wilson's character initials being MMM can't be a coincidence. gently caress, what if it actually stands for Marvel's Mephisto Mutants

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
One of our cats is called 'Cat Thor'. He's a great little baby.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Don't.

You should know this two series in.

Remember we hadn't seen dick about US Agent or even Karli in FatWS at this point in the advertising prerelease, or much about the twins in Wandavision beyond some small shots of them as kids.

Yes there will be surprises, but they're the same poo poo you've known about for nearly 10 years if you've kept even a cursory glance at Marvel comics-- most likely bets are Teen Loki/Lady Loki, maybe a Hemsworth or Hopkins cameo.

cough Kang

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Argue posted:

Maybe Loki will time travel back to the beginning of time and create the first mutant. Or is Miss Minutes the first mutant? Owen Wilson's character initials being MMM can't be a coincidence. gently caress, what if it actually stands for Marvel's Mephisto Mutants

Make Mine Marvel, True Believer

'Nuff said

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Moreau posted:

I can't see Portman holding that level of importance to the franchise, so I don't think her as Thor/Valkyrie will last

Portman walked away from Thor originally because she felt like the part of Jane was offering her gently caress all to work with, and has come back while talking about how great it is that female heroes can be so much more now and has gotten ripped for the part. She's no stranger to committing to a part (learning ballet for Black Swan, shaving her head for V for Vandetta etc) but between the committment, the happiness that the part is offering more and the fact Hemsworth's Thor is now stepping away from Asgard to go do his own thing I feel like it's reasonably possible she'll stick around as Thor for a few films while Hemsworth goes off as Odinson to be a Guardian of the Galaxy or have random space adventures on his own before retiring.

Bear in mind, Thor is basically the only Avenger from the first few phases who is likely to still be an active character going into this new set of phases. Iron Man is dead, Cap is old/dead, Natasha is dead, Clint is retiring/retired and Hulk is permanently scarred from using the Infinity Gauntlet and probably looking to retire too. Almost all of them have successors lined up too. Spiderman is being lined up as a spiritual successfor Iron Man while Ironheart will probably be his physical successor, Sam is Captain America's successor, Florence Pugh is almost certainly going to be placed as Natasha's successor as a new Black Widow after the film, Clint is training a new Hawkeye in his TV show and there's a She-Hulk TV show lined up, even if it's likely She-Hulk will focus more on lawyering than beating people up.

Thor is the only one without a successor lined up in some fashion if you discount Jane as Lady Thor. It seemed likely Valkyrie would be his replacement originally, but she's king of Asgard now so it's unlikely she'll be a hero too. Not that that's impossible, since T'Challa is already both in the Avengers, but with Valkyrie taking up a posiiton of authority just as a Thor replacement appears it seems more plausible that Jane will become the Thor for the next while instead.

Of course, that's implying that the next Avengers will consist of the new legacy heroes who take up the mantle of their predessecors, and that may not actually happen. Spiderman or Ironheart, Sam Cap, Yelena Widow, Kate Hawkeye, She-Hulk and Lady Thor may become a team of Avengers at some point, or they may not but even if they do, there might be others on the team alongside them or they just might never get a lot of focus. War Machine, Vision, Wanda and Falcon were being lined up as a new team of Avengers to replace Iron Man, Cap, Hawkeye etc. after Age of Ultron and nothing was done with them as a team. Sadly. I'd have liked to see them get one Avenger movie on their own. As is, we have multiple other heroes from the tail end of Phase 3 that could be big new heroes on such a team, like Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel. Strange isn't as much of a team player, but it's possible.

There are also the Young Avengers being lined up to become the successors of the Avengers, including some in the vein of the original Avengers, such as Patriot being a new Captain America. Iron Lad could also appear, though he hasn't been teased yet if he will. If he did though, then it would (a) give a lot more weight to the idea of Kang as a central villain for the upcoming phases, and (b) tie more heavily into that, since Iron Lad is a younger Kang who hates what his older self has become and wants to stop him, using Stark Tech from the future to do so.

Hemsworth has said he's enjoying playing Thor now that Taiki Waititi is the central director, and he gets to be more comic and give more life to the character rather than playing a dour, Shakespearian role and James Gunn has a lot of the same sensibilities for his Guardians films (though he may be stepping away after Guardians 3 too), so it's not unlikely that Thor will stick around in some fashion, but given his decision at the end of Endgame it also seems likely that if Thor does stick around he'll just be going off doing his own thing and having adventures in space. Which he'd probably do under a new name, whether that's Odinson, Thunderstrike or what. The fact he's going off on space adventures now means it's possible he'll run into Beta Ray Bill at some point too, by the by. Which would be cool, and seems like the kind of character more comic directors like Waititi or Gunn would love to include.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
If movie make money, stick around she will
- ancient proverb

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Re: Hulk, I do wonder when they’ll get around to Amadeus Cho.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

She-Hulk is the reasonable bet there.
Yeah just like Wandavision was guaranteed to include Mephisto

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The_Doctor posted:

Re: Hulk, I do wonder when they’ll get around to Amadeus Cho.

I don't know that they will. They're explicitly setting up She-Hulk at the moment, and there are rumours that the MCU is trying to set up or at least interested in Hercules as another character in that veing; which only intensified with Russel Crowe's revelation he's playing Zeus in Love & Thunder. I doubt he'll be more than a cameo for Gorr to kill personally, but I can see Herculeus being implied or even introduced as a result of that cameo in some fashion if Marvel wants to do so. If the MCU She-Hulk is like the comic one there's also the possibility of She-Hulk and Herculeus being a thing. It was only a brief fling (or maybe even a one night stand; can't recall) in the comics, but both She-Hulk and Herculeus have similar powers and personalities as care-free super strong people, so it's possible the MCU could do more with it.

If the MCU was gonna do Amadeus Cho then it's possible he'd be in the next phase as someone inspired by Bruce rather than someone with a direct relationship with him. I'm not even sure they'd do that though, or could, since Cho is presumably more directly tied to the Hulk while She-Hulk is probably it's own property and thus may not be part of whatever legal woes exist between Marvel Studios and Paramount over the Hulk license.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I watched Thor 2 and fell asleep during the final act. I really gave it a fair shake as best as I could but goddammit this movie makes no fuckin sense and these villains are garbage, just running around in GWAR costumes.

Over the entire movie I just kept thinking… I know how Ragnarok ends sooo… does anything in this movie matter at all?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

It sets up an Infinity Stone and presumably some Jane stuff in Love & Thunder but other than that yeah it's pretty skippable.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
But the final act portal fight is the only part worth watching other than the 3 seconds of Loki-as-Cap.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The scene of Thor going to tell Loki about his plan to escape and ask for his help in return for Loki being able to get revenge for Friga's death is worth watching too, to see Loki trying to put up a sneering facade only for Thor to see right through it and then reveal Loki as being a mess.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This is the only MCU related thread I've got bookmarked, so enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WVDKZJkGlY

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Thanks. I don't have any reaction beyond that it looks pretty cool for the moment, but I did like the use of golden lines in their clothes, ships, weapons, use of powers etc. distinguish them from other heroes the same way Dr. Strange had the use of visual warping via 3D. It's a nice effect. There's already two reactoin vidoes appearing in the "recommended" section of that video once it finished though, which I don't know what to think about it. Some people are very fast with their thoughts and putting out a video encapsulating them, I guess.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 24, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

tsob posted:

Some people are very fast with their thoughts and putting out a video encapsulating them, I guess.

If you're not first, you're last.
It does what it sets out to do, intro the Eternals as a concept people can understand.

Anyway here's Black Knight getting dunked on by the Avengers

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

The scene of Thor going to tell Loki about his plan to escape and ask for his help in return for Loki being able to get revenge for Friga's death is worth watching too, to see Loki trying to put up a sneering facade only for Thor to see right through it and then reveal Loki as being a mess.

This scene made the whole movie worth watching for me.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Character Descriptions of the Eternals (thread)
https://twitter.com/marvel_shots/status/1396830658933231620

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Reading those power level descriptions, I can't wait to hear the reason where they were in Infinity War/Endgame.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spacebump posted:

Reading those power level descriptions, I can't wait to hear the reason where they were in Infinity War/Endgame.

they all got snapped, it was tragic

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

tsob posted:

I watched Thor 2 for the first time last weekend after seeing every other marvel movie so far and I honestly wish I had seen this scene sooner

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Thor loving his brother despite not being blood related is one of the most endearing things about him.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MODOK wasn’t great but I’ll still watch whatever they pump out. I laughed a few times but had a hard time getting over what was basically a bigger budget Robot Chicken which I historically didn’t enjoy at all.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I haven't read a huge amount of Eternals stuff, but there was a mini series about ten years back when I was just about dropping out of comics buying were Sprite was plotting against the rest of the group because she was fed up with being an eternal child and I wonder going off the description they're giving there if the same won't be true in this. I don't even know if that's a common thing in Eternals lore, come to it.

Spacebump posted:

I don't think it'll be any more comlex than "we don't intervene", honestly. Which is kind of funny, given that their whole deal as a group is that the Celestials put them there to intervene in the evolution of native species. I do wonder too if Druig's disagreement over their intervention will mean he wants to intervene more or less. I'd assume more, since they don't intervene at all according to the trailer, but he's also described as having withdrawn because he disagrees with "how they've interacted with mankind over the centuries" which implies they have interacted with them in some capacity. Which might just be "lived among them", I guess.

Invalid Validation posted:

Thor loving his brother despite not being blood related is one of the most endearing things about him.

The elevator scene in Love & Thunder is probably one of the best scenes in the film, and it's just them talking and Thor saying he hopes good things for Loki but that Loki should probably stay on Sakaar because it's everything he claimed to want while Loki stands there shifting through emotions as he realizes what a dick he is.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

tsob posted:

I don't think it'll be any more comlex than "we don't intervene", honestly. Which is kind of funny, given that their whole deal as a group is that the Celestials put them there to intervene in the evolution of native species. I do wonder too if Druig's disagreement over their intervention will mean he wants to intervene more or less. I'd assume more, since they don't intervene at all according to the trailer, but he's also described as having withdrawn because he disagrees with "how they've interacted with mankind over the centuries" which implies they have interacted with them in some capacity. Which might just be "lived among them", I guess.

I'd guess that Druig's issue is that the others have interfered more than they were supposed to.

The trailer and a few things they have put out implies that one of the Eternals is essentially a living CAD program that can design/engineer anything and has subtly guided humanity towards more advanced technology than it "should" have.

One of them was worshipped in Babylon and is implied to have built the Ishtar Gate in Iraq.

A few of the others live among the humans. Nanjiani's character seeks out adoration from the humans and is an actual Bollywood celebrity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Infinitum posted:

This is the only MCU related thread I've got bookmarked, so enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WVDKZJkGlY

Looks perfectly mediocre. Very pretty though. If I were 12 again and this were my first "Ancient Aliens" story I'd probably love it.

Invalid Validation posted:

As an adopted kid-- lol wtf is wrong with you?

Lots of adopted kids get rough deals but anyone even half-decent tends to accept them unquestioningly, especially if they were raised together as kids. It's not really that endearing as much as "basic goodness."

It's more endearing that Thor still loves Loki despite Loki spending so much time explicitly trying to gently caress Thor over.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Let’s do ‘get help’. :haw:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

The elevator scene in Love & Thunder is probably one of the best scenes in the film, and it's just them talking and Thor saying he hopes good things for Loki but that Loki should probably stay on Sakaar because it's everything he claimed to want while Loki stands there shifting through emotions as he realizes what a dick he is.

In one of the many promo videos Hiddleston's done in the past couple of weeks, he mentioned that the meat of the elevator chat was spread out over a couple of scenes until Waititi had them pound one out all in the elevator. Sounds like it was a real lightning in a bottle moment.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think Waititi's sense of humor is vile, but he's phenomenal at character detail and always has been.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I think Waititi's sense of humor is vile, but he's phenomenal at character detail and always has been.

Vile? That’s a weird word to use.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It might blow your mind but not everyone goes down on the guy for batting to the cheap seats. He can do better, and chooses not to.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

mind the walrus posted:

It might blow your mind but not everyone goes down on the guy for batting to the cheap seats. He can do better, and chooses not to.

Sounds more like your expectations are informing your word choice more than anything he actually did. Pretty sure he's doing things exactly right by him, as from what I hear he sleeps on a big pile of money with many beautiful women.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yeah, "vile" has kind of a moral component to it thats a lot stronger than just "he isn't funny"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Are you thinking of James Gunn, perhaps?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

mind the walrus posted:

Is...is ‘get help’ vile? Was Thor’s attempts to claim he won to a confused Banner ‘vile’?

This is a really weird word choice here. Are you sure you’re not thinking of someone else? You’re mostly inspiring confusion more than direct disagreement so it really sounds like you are.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Yeah Taika is good and cool and I wish he was my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah Taika is good and cool and I wish he was my friend.

Taiki is out there living his best life.

https://news.google.com/articles/CA...US&ceid=US%3Aen