Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/rohan_21awake/status/1396737699848019968

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Broadband chat:

I had a rep from GoFibre come to my door the other day explaining that they were receiving vouchers from the Scottish gov to install high-speed fibre connections at no interest to homeowners so long as they agree to a plan ahead of time and were gauging interest in our neighbourhood. My current broadband plan with NowTV expires in September, so I was thinking of signing up, since I currently get about 35 Mbps and for the same price GoFibre's plan would guarantee 200 Mbps, but I'm wary that there might be some catch.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of arrangement and/or been a customer of GoFibre?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
When people quote internet speeds my eyes glaze over, the only barometer is how many mb/s a second steam downloads at

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Am I going mad or did they also talk about herd immunity during one of the first covid broadcasts on TV? I 100% remmeber some guy on a podium saying we should all just carry on are normal lives and eventually we'll all get covid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We need to take it on the chin.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MeinPanzer posted:

Broadband chat:

I had a rep from GoFibre come to my door the other day explaining that they were receiving vouchers from the Scottish gov to install high-speed fibre connections at no interest to homeowners so long as they agree to a plan ahead of time and were gauging interest in our neighbourhood. My current broadband plan with NowTV expires in September, so I was thinking of signing up, since I currently get about 35 Mbps and for the same price GoFibre's plan would guarantee 200 Mbps, but I'm wary that there might be some catch.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of arrangement and/or been a customer of GoFibre?

These numbers seemed crazily low, but then I took a look and apparently UK has some of the slowest broadband in Europe? My 1Gbps connection is the pretty standard, comes-with-your-TV package in Dublin, and Virgin seems to be charging similar for 35Mbps in the UK

:rip:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

Am I going mad or did they also talk about herd immunity during one of the first covid broadcasts on TV? I 100% remmeber some guy on a podium saying we should all just carry on are normal lives and eventually we'll all get covid.

They certainly did. Honestly I've never felt more like I was in a bad dystopian novel than the first months of the pandemic. Not only did you have the government briefing the media on herd immunity before being entirely memory holed by all parties involved but but you had the conservatives acting like covid was a period of bad weather moving over the country and insisted we shouldn't lock down until cases were peaking to maximise its impact, just absolutely incomprehensible thinking all-round

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It was very literally that they just came out and said the plan was Herd immunity and it got a terrible reaction so then they said that herd immunity was never the plan and the press just went along with it. Like it was very jarring when you saw people going "Herd immunity, what a wonderful idea" and then almost overnight say that it was never the plan and you're just a conspiracy theorist for saying it is.

Guavanaut posted:

Yep. Then Boris nearly died of the virus, IDS put out that bizarre statement where he sounded like he was blaming Boris for being weak enough to get sick and then suddenly it was a real thing, right up until he got over it and now he just doesn't want the pubs to close again.

We have the worst loving press in the world

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

These numbers seemed crazily low, but then I took a look and apparently UK has some of the slowest broadband in Europe? My 1Gbps connection is the pretty standard, comes-with-your-TV package in Dublin, and Virgin seems to be charging similar for 35Mbps in the UK

:rip:

Good broadband is a communist lie, mate.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

That's the quote but people always bring up, completely ignoring the context around it, which was something along the lines of "One line of thinking is we should take it on the chin and let it pass through the population, but that's not what we're going to do".

Which I'll be honest - if I thought Johnson and the people around him were *much* more clever - seems like an almost perfect way of playing this, because it gets all the sound and fury concentrated on one pull quote but no actual politician or journalist would use it because it's so easily debunked. It's one of the things I hate most about people confusing social media for politics - people get so mired in little poo poo like that that they never even bother to look at the much bigger picture, which is that throughout this the priority for the Government has been, in order, protecting big business, specific donors and chums, their own image, and then way, way, *way* down the list, the actual people of the UK.

It's a neat demonstration of how you don't actually need the smoky marbled halls full of powerful people pulling strings - the majority of people in the world are more than happy to arrange a coverup of the most heinous poo poo just so they can get a few hundred likes on social media. Like the refurbishment of number 10 - this was an absolute, slam-dunk, no-escape story of outrageous graft... and everyone made it about the choice of loving shop.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

We have the worst loving press in the world

Yeah. You can point at countries like Uzbekistan, or Turkmenistan, or... really any of the 'Stans, but at least journalists there run the risk of being tortured, left to rot in prison or simply executed if they don't tow the government line.
Our brave journalists run the risk of being removed from a WhatsApp group, which they consistently suggest would be the worst thing imaginable.

Seriously, what a bunch of cunts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's the quote but people always bring up, completely ignoring the context around it, which was something along the lines of "One line of thinking is we should take it on the chin and let it pass through the population, but that's not what we're going to do".
It was worse than that, it was "some people say we should do absolutely nothing, but we might do something."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDXmipIYF8

Or as what happens next? put it this time last year, "The "Flatten The Curve" plan was touted by every public health organization, while the United Kingdom's original "herd immunity" plan was universally booed. They were the same plan. The UK just communicated theirs poorly."

It's pretty cool how much that got right just by using known statistical epidemiology. And pretty horrifying how much better things could have gone with just a tiny bit of earlier action and better communication.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Con +12

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It was worse than that, it was "some people say we should do absolutely nothing, but we might do something."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDXmipIYF8

Or as what happens next? put it this time last year, "The "Flatten The Curve" plan was touted by every public health organization, while the United Kingdom's original "herd immunity" plan was universally booed. They were the same plan. The UK just communicated theirs poorly."

It's pretty cool how much that got right just by using known statistical epidemiology. And pretty horrifying how much better things could have gone with just a tiny bit of earlier action and better communication.

I mean ultimately without a vaccine on the horizon (and even the most insane optimists at the time weren't expecting one until this summer) then there were really only two options, an Australian-style early, total lockdown (something that was never going to be politically possible in the UK) or herd immunity with just enough mitigation to stop the NHS completely falling apart. From an absolutely cold realpolitik standpoint you can say they actually managed to time it *perfectly* - the Nightingales were never needed, the NHS survived by the absolute skin of its teeth but with enough damage to make privatising it even easier, and everyone got to fill their boots in the panic. You can even spin all of this as a positive - "First time we've ever had to deal with something like this, mistakes made, hard job, lessons learned".

The thing to really nail them to the wall on absolutely should be what happened in Sept-Dec 2020. We'd been through the pain of the first lockdown, cases were near zero. We knew the vaccines were coming, we had seen *exactly* how quickly the virus could spread, and every single policy decision made was absolutely, 100%, no-hindsight-needed, wrong. Furlough ending forced people back onto public transport, international travel was reopened with basically no restrictions, and of course Eat Out To Help Out managed to be both the most inefficient possible way of stimulating the economy *while also* being the most efficient way possible of spreading the virus, forcing us into a lockdown at the most economically-damaging time possible. Reversing any one of those decisions could have probably avoided second lockdown, or at least delayed it pretty deep into winter. Like I say, you don't need hindsight, or even a calculator, to criticise those decisions - just look at the shape of the curve, move it up six months, bang.

Most of all right at the finish line, as vaccines were actually starting to roll out, we hosed it, completely and totally, by ending the second lockdown early. 100,000 people died as a result of just that one decision, that wasn't made for medical or even economic reasons, but purely for BORIS SAVES CHRISTMAS headlines.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This government has hosed up the pandemic so badly (and seemingly deliberately) that even they should be surprised that the general public aren't dragging them out on to the street and beating them to death with their shoes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

keep punching joe posted:

This government has hosed up the pandemic so badly (and seemingly deliberately) that even they should be surprised that the general public aren't dragging them out on to the street and beating them to death with their shoes.

They are absolutely loving bulletproof. There is nothing they can't do to us.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What's sad is that the same thing is going to happen again. The Indian variant is seemingly spreading and the government knows and acknowledges that it exists and is a threat but will continue to open up as normal, with the inevitable result of more months of lockdown in the future and thousands of deaths. It's going to happen and it's going to end up with a worse result than if restrictions were just tightened for a bit longer now.

At least we aren't actually India because gently caress me but when cause for optimism is you aren't as bad as the country with open air crematoriums running at over capacity 24/7 that's not exactly a positive thing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah I think this summer is going to go very badly for us. And I had actually made tentative plans too...

EDIT it really is absolutely infuriating that this is what's happening and it's obvious and all they needed to do was hold back on openin' er up for a couple weeks but no, full steam ahead, gently caress you, we choose disaster

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Flayer posted:

What's sad is that the same thing is going to happen again. The Indian variant is seemingly spreading and the government knows and acknowledges that it exists and is a threat but will continue to open up as normal, with the inevitable result of more months of lockdown in the future and thousands of deaths. It's going to happen and it's going to end up with a worse result than if restrictions were just tightened for a bit longer now.

At least we aren't actually India because gently caress me but when cause for optimism is you aren't as bad as the country with open air crematoriums running at over capacity 24/7 that's not exactly a positive thing.

The vaccines completely change this equation. They stop the Indian variant *almost* as well as the Kent one, we're a few weeks from 50% coverage, and probably a couple of months until herd immunity starts to properly kick in. If it hadn't been such a lovely cold and damp May we probably wouldn't even be talking about the variants.

It would probably have been prudent to extend the opening of hospitality for a couple of weeks but we're not seeing a rise in the numbers; the worst that can be said is that it's caused a couple of hundred excess deaths if keeping the lockdown would have decreased the numbers a bit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean ultimately without a vaccine on the horizon (and even the most insane optimists at the time weren't expecting one until this summer) then there were really only two options, an Australian-style early, total lockdown (something that was never going to be politically possible in the UK) or herd immunity with just enough mitigation to stop the NHS completely falling apart. From an absolutely cold realpolitik standpoint you can say they actually managed to time it *perfectly* - the Nightingales were never needed, the NHS survived by the absolute skin of its teeth but with enough damage to make privatising it even easier, and everyone got to fill their boots in the panic. You can even spin all of this as a positive - "First time we've ever had to deal with something like this, mistakes made, hard job, lessons learned".
The other things they could have done in the first lockdown were testing at the ports, we couldn't have done an Australia or Taiwan but we could have done at least half of a South Korea style plan, and universal masking indoors from day one rather than as an afterthought. That plus 2 weeks earlier (in and out) lockdown would have done a lot of good.

Other things like not trying to Heath Robinson our own test and trace app and just going with pencil and clipboard until the Apple-Google one was out of beta would have been nice. Things like better ventilation and focusing more on oxygen generators over ventilators are benefits of hindsight that would have been cool too but would not have been expected for the time.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The thing to really nail them to the wall on absolutely should be what happened in Sept-Dec 2020. We'd been through the pain of the first lockdown, cases were near zero.
Keir Starmer's one good idea and nobody mentions it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Most of all right at the finish line, as vaccines were actually starting to roll out, we hosed it, completely and totally, by ending the second lockdown early. 100,000 people died as a result of just that one decision, that wasn't made for medical or even economic reasons, but purely for BORIS SAVES CHRISTMAS headlines.
Narrator: Boris did not save Christmas.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

Keir Starmer's one good idea and nobody mentions it.

this would be playing politics with the pandemic, which would look disrespectful and the Tories will never do

also he kind of hosed it by going back to being a pissy little windsock in January, him u-turning on schools an hour after the government leaked that they would be u-turning on schools is much more likely to be the thing people remember imho

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

he kind of hosed it by going back to being a pissy little windsock
- The kieth straman story

He was right about the immediate two week circuit breaker though, he just didn't have enough party backing or popular support for "this wouldn't have happened if we'd had the circuit breaker" to be part of the winter narrative.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've been checking the numbers my hospital trust employer has been releasing daily, and they've been consistently very low for the last few weeks - particularly the 'new infections' measure.
And this is in an area with low uptake of both vaccines and testing, where you'd assume it to be worse.

So I don't think it's going to be catastrophic, but I'd be surprised if there aren't more local lockdowns.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

One of the local riding schools is going to be absolutely hosed if there's another serious lockdown :(

I heard the owner saying she'd had to break into her pension to keep going over winter. (They apparently can't get any of the grants because they break even rather turning a profit).

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gut problems generally were a surprisingly rare way to die before cholera came over in the 19th century, considering the whole "making GBS threads in your drinking water" thing that Londoners have always been so keen on:

Wind (what a way to go - history doesn't recall if a naked flame was also involved): 8
loose and you were unable to get out of the way in time.

I was wondering about this. It might not have been farting yourself to death.

It could have been this?

https://youtu.be/jgNHi35ICIc

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1396574267349872644

TL:DR no bueno

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Long interview with Vallance here describing our initial plan and detailing the herd immunity idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XRc389TvG8

And the video of the Downing Street presser from March 12th where Vallance says you want people to catch it to build up immunity in society https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAE8-e5_EKY, it's at about 10:50.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 24, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gut problems generally were a surprisingly rare way to die before cholera came over in the 19th century, considering the whole "making GBS threads in your drinking water" thing that Londoners have always been so keen on:

A moment to pay respects for the person who died of a 'sore legge'.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I thought I would post about this here incase anyone is interested.

Basically Johnny 'Itch' Fox from the King Blues is a sex predator to a bunch of women in other bands etc talked about this at a festival and then in a youtube video. He's decided to sue them all, essentially to silence to group of women involved. This started in 2016 and as you can imagine it's a lengthy legal process and very expensive. To that end the group has setup a crowd funder for their legal expenses.

https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/solidaritynotsilence/

and also a single which you can buy

https://solidaritynotsilence.bandcamp.com/

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Again I think the word sore here is a noun. Sore as in a lesion. My money's on the guy having a leg ulcer that went septic.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Rhetorically it feels a lot like Trump's favoured "people are saying" line. Partly it could just be a dumb guy remembering having heard something at a meeting, but it feels more like inventing a source to distance himself from an idea. Possibly relying on some version of the primacy and latency effect so that people remember the 'take it on the chin' bit and not the rest.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The vaccines completely change this equation. They stop the Indian variant *almost* as well as the Kent one, we're a few weeks from 50% coverage, and probably a couple of months until herd immunity starts to properly kick in. If it hadn't been such a lovely cold and damp May we probably wouldn't even be talking about the variants.
Someone with a better grasp of virology please correct me if I'm wrong, but my concerns break down like this:

- Variants happen as the virus evolves, given free reign to spread around a large enough population.
- Vaccinated people appear to still be able to catch and shed the virus, even when vaccinated (though they are not in danger from symptoms themselves).
- Very early on, there were questions about the method AZ used that it might not be as effective against variants as pfizer.

Essentially, my question is: If we remove all restrictions and go back to normal, what's to stop it mutating into a vaccine dodging strain, and isn't this highly likely if the government drops lockdown restrictions?

The general response seems to be 'yes but we're vaccinated,' whereas my concern is that an unrestricted population that can still catch and transmit viral cells just seems like a challenge to the virus to evolve a way round at least AZ vaccination.

You said the vaccines 'stop' the virus but is that a case of preventing spread, or just a case of stopping infected people being killed / affected by symptoms?

I remember discussions early on about the nature of the viral cells and how they're very stable and not prone to mutations, but also that it's incredibly efficient at duplicating itself. And the existence of the South Africa / India / Kent variants shows that they can adapt, given a large enough population to spread through.

My concern is mostly that the government's response has been to implement the bare minimum of restrictions, and while the science seems to support waiting for full vaccination before tentatively easing, Boris et al seem to have taken that as carte blanche to open everything up

I know everyone wants to be out seeing their friends and going back out to pubs and concerts etc, but it just seems like it has huge potential to put us back at square 1 and make us a complete pariah internationally.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

There's another one that has someone die of piles. I occasionally raise a glass to their memory.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Essentially, my question is: If we remove all restrictions and go back to normal, what's to stop it mutating into a vaccine dodging strain, and isn't this highly likely if the government drops lockdown restrictions?

Hi, microbial synthetic biologist and assistant professor of biology here. Yes, you are correct: giving a contagious, airborne virus a highly heterogeneous population of vaccinated people is just about the most perfect way for said virus to evolve into a vaccine-dodging variant, if such a thing is possible genetically. The US and the UK are playing Russian roulette with these stupid "Open'R'Up!!" policies, and it scares the holy hell outta me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mycomancy posted:

Hi, microbial synthetic biologist and assistant professor of biology here. Yes, you are correct: giving a contagious, airborne virus a highly heterogeneous population of vaccinated people is just about the most perfect way for said virus to evolve into a vaccine-dodging variant, if such a thing is possible genetically. The US and the UK are playing Russian roulette with these stupid "Open'R'Up!!" policies, and it scares the holy hell outta me.

Nurglite cultists, I'm telling ya.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Part of me is more relieved at being right not being cimpletely wrong than at the likelihood of death this summer, which just makes me realise how very British I am.

I should get a graun column.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what i want to know is why the deafening silence from traditional family values conservatives (NORMAN!!!!!!!!) when it's boris shagging around and making women with child out of wedlock :bahgawd:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i mean i know the answer but can you imagine if it was keith doing the same

actually don't

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Rhetorically it feels a lot like Trump's favoured "people are saying" line. Partly it could just be a dumb guy remembering having heard something at a meeting, but it feels more like inventing a source to distance himself from an idea. Possibly relying on some version of the primacy and latency effect so that people remember the 'take it on the chin' bit and not the rest.

Someone with a better grasp of virology please correct me if I'm wrong, but my concerns break down like this:

- Variants happen as the virus evolves, given free reign to spread around a large enough population.
- Vaccinated people appear to still be able to catch and shed the virus, even when vaccinated (though they are not in danger from symptoms themselves).
- Very early on, there were questions about the method AZ used that it might not be as effective against variants as pfizer.

The general response seems to be 'yes but we're vaccinated,' whereas my concern is that an unrestricted population that can still catch and transmit viral cells just seems like a challenge to the virus to evolve a way round at least AZ vaccination.

You said the vaccines 'stop' the virus but is that a case of preventing spread, or just a case of stopping infected people being killed / affected by symptoms?

I remember discussions early on about the nature of the viral cells and how they're very stable and not prone to mutations, but also that it's incredibly efficient at duplicating itself. And the existence of the South Africa / India / Kent variants shows that they can adapt, given a large enough population to spread through.

My concern is mostly that the government's response has been to implement the bare minimum of restrictions, and while the science seems to support waiting for full vaccination before tentatively easing, Boris et al seem to have taken that as carte blanche to open everything up

I know everyone wants to be out seeing their friends and going back out to pubs and concerts etc, but it just seems like it has huge potential to put us back at square 1 and make us a complete pariah internationally.

Spread is still a massively controversial aspect because you just can't measure it. None of the manufacturers are willing to come out and say that it definitely stops spread because there's no way to prove that.

The fundamental problem (note: Not a virologist, doctor, or even particularly smart, just a hypochondriac with access to Wikipedia) is that because the virus infects nasal and lung tissues even a fully immune person will have a measurable amount of virus in their head-holes after exposure before their immune system kicks in, and it's impossible to say if the virus can be spread from those initial infections. However *most* people seem to believe that even if it can be spread from there the total amount of virus shedding will be far, far less than from a full infection, and over a much shorter period of time - more than enough to disrupt the chain of infection much more effectively than social distancing.

A vaccine-evading variant is certainly a possibility - but even if you assume we're massively under-reporting the amount of cases there's so few infections in the general public that the probability is probably pretty low. Coronaviruses mutate slowly (or rather they have such a particular structure that the vast majority of their mutations aren't viable) and you need a massive pool of infected people to give a new variant a base to break out from.

Unfortunately of course for all we're slapping ourselves on the back the vast majority of the world still isn't vaccinated, and isn't likely to be for another 3 or more years. That *will* provide the pool for variants to emerge from (and lots of ammo for the machine-guns-on-the-Cliffs-of-Dover crowd), and a slow rollout in the big cities of the Global South will definitely give the maximum opportunity for a vaccine-evading variant to take hold.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I think sore legge means sore as a noun. It's probably a leg ulcer that went septic.

I was thinking maybe an infarction or something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

i mean i know the answer but can you imagine if it was keith doing the same

actually don't
You don't have to stretch your imagination that far, hasn't Kieth been kicked out of the house? Or was that just for the dog nonceing