Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Now that you discussed this, I remembered vividly how menacing were the Narn vessels approaching Catherine's ship, after a Shadows vessel shadow passed by. I was on the edge of my seat. What was G'Kars agenda? What was his plan? Is that THE Shadows that found her on that dangerous planet?
drat, it felt so refreshing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Erulisse posted:

Now that you discussed this, I remembered vividly how menacing were the Narn vessels approaching Catherine's ship, after a Shadows vessel shadow passed by. I was on the edge of my seat. What was G'Kars agenda? What was his plan? Is that THE Shadows that found her on that dangerous planet?
drat, it felt so refreshing

Wasn't it a Walker ship, not the Shadows?

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Polaron posted:

It was, but as I recall, at the time, we hadn't seen a shadow ship. So they were wondering if the Walkers were Shadows.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Were there any references to the Shadows before Signs and Portents? I don't remember any.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I’ve been binging through a bunch of shows in this last pandemic hell-year and there are a lot of ways, both good and bad, to end a show.

I think one of the things that really separates B5 is how they managed not just to stick the landing on the finale, but narratively and emotionally bring the entire series to a proper close. The last three, maybe four episodes are all of a piece that basically lets you emerge from the show without getting the bends.

It really lets everything sink in. It lets the viewer breathe.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's a great way to put it. All shows end, precious few of them conclude.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Slamhound posted:

I’ve been binging through a bunch of shows in this last pandemic hell-year and there are a lot of ways, both good and bad, to end a show.

I think one of the things that really separates B5 is how they managed not just to stick the landing on the finale, but narratively and emotionally bring the entire series to a proper close. The last three, maybe four episodes are all of a piece that basically lets you emerge from the show without getting the bends.

It really lets everything sink in. It lets the viewer breathe.

Not only is that true, but it was managed with the finale being written a full year prior to the other denouement episodes.

My favorite thing about the ending is that it doesn't assume the universe ends with the story. We not only know where everyone is going, but we know who is staying behind. That moment when the people staying on the station salute Sheridan and Delenn as they depart is powerful in part because you can imagine another show with those characters as the main characters, and it would work.

And ending the life of a main character with a sunrise is a brilliant touch, even without that drat final scene with Delenn on the bench that makes me bawl. I'm already crying after "even for people like us." And then the music swells and we get that photo montage of the entire cast and crew? Fantastic.

"There would never be another," indeed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Just sitting at my desk, tearing up, as you do on a Sunday morning.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Narsham posted:

Not only is that true, but it was managed with the finale being written a full year prior to the other denouement episodes..

Not just written, largely filmed.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

Not just written, largely filmed.

Which had the great advantage of letting Ivanova be in it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, I think Deconstruction of Falling Stars really helped in setting up the ultimate finale. It kind of set the mood.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
It never occured to me that the two vorlons with Valen were Ulkesh and Naranek.

This loving show, man.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Largely chosen based on the fact that they already had those encounter suits around.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

evobatman posted:

This loving show, man.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me."

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Polaron posted:

Back when first watching I assumed this was Shadows because I knew about their existence and that they are 'the villains' but nothing more. My post is literal description of my feelings at the moment.

evobatman posted:

This loving show, man.

This actually brought an interesting observation while watching.

From watcher's/Sinclair's perspective
Kosh the old and wise teaches Sinclair the young, guides him subtletly. Sinclair becomes wise and old, travels back in time and meets Kosh less wiser and way younger. Viewer can assume Kosh learned something from Sinclair.

From Kosh Naranek's perspective
A wise time traveller from future of a distant and yet unknown race comes with a war-turning battlestation, behaves around Zorlons and Mumbari like he was born and raised with them. Saves the day, wins the war and teaches everyone new stuff. Becomes a minbari and writes a letter to himself 900 years into future. After 895 years Kosh finally meets the One who originally was Sinclair and now has to guide him.

What a show indeed.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 24, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I’m pretty sure he became Mumbai on the way to the past.

And from Ulkesh’s perspective:

This uppity minbari shows up with a space station and claims to be from the future. Thinks he knows more than the Zorlons. Disgusting. While the station does turn the tide it’s pretty obvious that the Zorlons in the future have a hand in this so to treat this infant race like saviors is abhorrent. The Zorlons will be ready the shadows come out one way or the other. Perhaps we should start bending them to our will now….

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kosh sure seemed to be down with the whole "bend the younger races to our will" thing. He was definitely the good cop compared to Ulkesh's bad cop, but he was a cop nonetheless.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Mumbai? Zorlons? Am I having a stroke?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Mumbai? Zorlons? Am I having a stroke?

It's a reference to the spellings new viewers have used in the blind watch thread.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ultrafilter posted:

Kosh sure seemed to be down with the whole "bend the younger races to our will" thing. He was definitely the good cop compared to Ulkesh's bad cop, but he was a cop nonetheless.

AVAB?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vavrek posted:

It's a reference to the spellings new viewers have used in the blind watch thread.

It's not just there. Longtime viewers of the show will stay stuff like "Mimbari" or "Narms," and these are not people with ESL, so I always twitch a bit, myself.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I searched the blind thread. No one has said "Mumbai" and the only instance of "Mimbari" is someone explaining that it's a common mistake.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ultrafilter posted:

I searched the blind thread. No one has said "Mumbai" and the only instance of "Mimbari" is someone explaining that it's a common mistake.

I get Mumbai as an autocorrect option for Minbari all the time, so I assumed that was the joke to go along with Zorlons (from the young races thread). Kind of like Klangons and Blorg for Star Trek.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ultrafilter posted:

A joke is a three edged sword

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ultrafilter posted:

There’s a lot of mumbari in the blind thread. Mumbai is in turn making fun of that and/or autocorrect mangling someone’s joke.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Timby posted:

It's not just there. Longtime viewers of the show will stay stuff like "Mimbari" or "Narms," and these are not people with ESL, so I always twitch a bit, myself.

It helps if you know what narm is.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

sebmojo posted:

A joke is a three edged sword

As one wise Mumbari once said, "Indeed".

Jedit posted:

It helps if you know what narm is.

This almost feels like an intentional use
Nah, it's probably me being wrong as usual

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Believers is still hard to watch, but I like the assistant doctor with Franklin. Maybe if she stuck around his subplots could've been more fleshed out. Although I still think that it's realistic that he was mostly sidelined as the political narratives bloomed.

I like how in Deathwalker everybody stumbles over themselves compromising their values for potential gain It's probably one of the most sinister things that the Minbari did, shielding a genocidal monster and then voting against her seeing justice. G'kar shows some moral fiber by not even considering Deathwalker's demand for Na'toth's head, but even after that, he tries to wriggle her into Narn hands and torpedoes the trial in spite. Even the League of Unaligned Worlds decides that eternal life is worth delayed justice. Londo actually comes off the cleanest, because he doesn't know what's going on and wasn't involved in any schemes to get control of her, he just is dodging the Centauri Republic's colonial past. Goofy old Londo.

Also in Believers, he didn't lecture the parents on philosophy or political pragmatism, he basically just hints very strongly that he'd like a bribe.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I do love Londo's approach with those parents. It's so perfectly what an actual political/diplomatic response to the situation would be.

"I respect your situation and agree with your position, but the only reason I would do anything to help you is if it benefited me/my government. Have you got anything to offer? If not, I give you my sympathies and nothing else."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Still slowly watching through with my mom. She liked Signs and Portents, and I realized why people hate TKO. It's not a very strong episode, none of the Garibaldi-centric episodes really are, but it is probably the one of the most one-off inconsequential status quo episodes in the series right after the big episode that has the most consequential plot in the show up to that point, so everything's kicking off and then it screeches to a halt. Really pumping the breaks.

My mom also asked "why is it the last of the Babylon stations" right at the beginning of Grail, so that was fortunate timing. I feel like there should've been more moments later in the series where Delenn is just overwhelmed by religious-caste admiration for somebody following their own beliefs. It's fun for her to be a dork. There's also some weird philosophically contradictory moments where here's this horrible monster that needs to be destroyed for the good of the station, but then David Warner almost befriends and tames it, like it could've done something other than eat people. Weird.

The next episode made me wonder about how the show is directed, because here's Jeffery Coombs, and he feels like he's acting like almost the same character as Jinxo. The episode itself is so dramatic and serious, but it centers around this ridiculous character who looks like a classic nazi with a dueling scar and talks like he's from a cartoon and finishes off with one of those ridiculous "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH" moments and tries to hold everyone at gunpoint. B5 takes some really cheesy turns sometimes.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I kinda love the zany campy S1 stuff for what it is. Good that they got it out of the way before going full-on arc driven for basically the rest of the show.

Nearly halfway through S4 in my rewatch and holy gently caress I can't believe they didn't fix the sound quality in Into the Fire for the remaster??? I can only assume that means the audio masters for that ep (or the whole series) are completely lost and we'll never get to watch it as intended. Insanely unfortunate that the mixing got botched on that one and not, like, literally any other episode.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Tosk posted:

I convinced a Trekkie friend of mine to give Babylon 5 a go - no small feat, as I live in South America and janky 90s scifi just was never much of a cultural thing here.

I have accordingly started my third rewatch of the series since I originally saw it back in 2010 or so, many years after it originally aired. I'd already forgotten so many key details, like (I assume that there's no need for spoilers in this thread) Londo foreshadowing his relationship with G'kar from the very first episode of the series. I had never known the circumstances of Michael O'Hare's departure from the series until recently, possibly because it was revealed after my first viewing and the second time around I don't think I consumed trivia quite as avidly.

This series has such good writing that it occasionally floors me. The beginning is a bit rough as the actors adapt to their characters, and I feel like the whole show was a bit odd all the way through, but it's just so drat good. I really feel like you can see Harlan Ellison's touch later on as well - I was a fan of his writing for many years, and I feel like thematically it complemented Babylon 5's space epic aesthetic very well.

I was surprised to find this thread on just the second page, and I plan on going through the whole thing as I rewatch the series to see what fun stuff you guys have discussed over the years.

I noticed this thread got bumped and decided to share that this friend went through the whole series and fell in love and now spams me with pictures like these because he follows the actors on social media.

It's fun to see them all old. Claudia Christensen in particular seems like she's had quite a life in the interim... Patricia Tallman's twitter was, hilariously, autoposting her horoscopes last year, but it seems like she's fixed that.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 28, 2021

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Tosk posted:

It's fun to see them all old. Claudia Christensen in particular seems like she's had quite a life in the interim...

She is a certified heavy duty alcoholic. Like lock yourself in wine cellar till all the wine is gone.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MikusR posted:

She is a certified heavy duty alcoholic. Like lock yourself in wine cellar till all the wine is gone.

She's been very open about this and what has helped her to recover and manage her addiction. It's really interesting, she's very passionate about it and about raising awareness so that it might help other people with similar issues.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

In one of those "everything is connected" moments: if Claudia Christian had made different choices Princess Di would still be alive today.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

She's been very open about this and what has helped her to recover and manage her addiction. It's really interesting, she's very passionate about it and about raising awareness so that it might help other people with similar issues.

Her autobiography, Babylon Confidential, is well worth reading.

Ironically, the means she uses to control her alcoholism is known as the Sinclair Method.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jedit posted:

Her autobiography, Babylon Confidential, is well worth reading.

Ironically, the means she uses to control her alcoholism is known as the Sinclair Method.

Is there any independent verification that this method was actually working for her? Because I do remember being a bit taken aback that a significant portion of the book was dedicated to promoting it, and that it was counter-intuitive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there any independent verification that this method was actually working for her? Because I do remember being a bit taken aback that a significant portion of the book was dedicated to promoting it, and that it was counter-intuitive.

I don't know, and it's a concern to me that she seems to be using it as a way to safely have a drink when she wants to as opposed to when she needs to. I also don't know enough about the exact working of the method to say. But the Method is available on the NHS in the UK, and if it didn't show benefits that wouldn't be the case.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Midjack posted:

In one of those "everything is connected" moments: if Claudia Christian had made different choices Princess Di would still be alive today.

Could you elaborate on this cause I am insanely curious now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

I don't know, and it's a concern to me that she seems to be using it as a way to safely have a drink when she wants to as opposed to when she needs to. I also don't know enough about the exact working of the method to say. But the Method is available on the NHS in the UK, and if it didn't show benefits that wouldn't be the case.

interesting, so you take a hit of naltrexone before drinking, which means you don't actually enjoy it. makes sense.