Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Kojima still doesnt miss

So in addition to Amazon being the exemplar of this new gilded age of unchecked capital accrual, it was also designed to feed all information to the government's total information awareness system.

nut posted:

just wanted to look a bit more into mkultra involvement in the expeditions that led to the popularization of shrooms and lol at this insane site

Wasson is an incredible story, tho. Successful JP Morgan banker turning mycologist in 1927 after eating wild mushrooms in Russia on his honeymoon.

Why is Mick Jagger on there? Looks like he's linked to the CIA?

nut posted:

drat, i just nabbed that britannica paragraph to give a bio of Filene but even in just that tiny paragraph you can see how influential he was in herding economically "freed" labourers into the nationalism of consumers

Gdamn. is that your terminology? because "nationalist consumerist/consumer nationalism" is the perfect term to describe the general boomer attitude towards the economy, the idea of the "aspiring class" types, esp. the petty bourgeoisie who mobbed the Capitol building, and anybody whose life goal is to be a landlord or real estate broker. It should be used more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Backweb posted:

Gdamn. is that your terminology? because "nationalist consumerist/consumer nationalism" is the perfect term to describe the general boomer attitude towards the economy, the idea of the "aspiring class" types, esp. the petty bourgeoisie who mobbed the Capitol building, and anybody whose life goal is to be a landlord or real estate broker. It should be used more often.

It's all from Stuart Ewen, but he in turn takes it pretty much directly from Filene and other advertising proponents' work. Part of why Ewen started studying the history of advertising is because he started reading trade journals (I think specifically, "Printer's Ink" maybe) and saw how openly industrialists were planning on solving the issues of mass overproduction with an increase in mass consumption by the poorer, historically thrifty class (an ideal that advertising would set to overturn).

It's a really fascinating and horrifying take to think of limiting workers freedom during reform to money-based economic freedom as one part in a bigger plan to shepherd them into self-identifying as consumers (look at how Filene was instrumental in setting up new institutions where workers were not grouped together as workers, but as consumers). It clearly persists now too, look at how much we equate money with freedom. It's a ~fact~ that if we had enough money we would be fine.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
imagining an alternate world where there were accurate “American State-Affiliated Media” warning tags on the twitter accounts of everyone from the think tank ghouls to Robert Evans

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/digitalsista/st...ingawful.com%2F

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

sounds about right, after all he's done cleaned up all the loose ends

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
honestly surprised any studio would take him on while he's involved in a huge law suit against one of them

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Excelzior posted:

sounds about right, after all he's done cleaned up all the loose ends

wait did the guys he raped get suicided?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

died in in convenient circumstances

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

afaik every single victim is either dead or withdrew their claims. there are only civil cases left

quote:

On July 17, 2019, the criminal assault charge against Spacey was dropped by the Cape and Islands prosecutors.[144] When the anonymous massage therapist who accused him died, the last remaining criminal case against Spacey was closed.[145]

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wow what a coincidence

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

Shear Modulus posted:

wow what a coincidence

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Those are some profoundly fortunate coincidences for the very innocent Mr. Spacey.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

he keeps threatening the royal family and it keeps paying off

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

he keeps threatening the royal family and it keeps paying off

let me be Frank

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Kevin Spacey slid into the Epstein role of society like Liara in the Shadow Broker DLC

he used his clout and resources to find the vault comms room on Little St James with all the screens of contacts and agents requesting trafficked flesh for secrets, money and drugs

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
hell yeah, that's my posting rig

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

smarxist posted:

Kevin Spacey slid into the Epstein role of society like Liara in the Shadow Broker DLC

he used his clout and resources to find the vault comms room on Little St James with all the screens of contacts and agents requesting trafficked flesh for secrets, money and drugs

Bold to presume that Spacey wasn't already in charge and that Usual Suspects wasn't him bragging about it publicly

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013
Kevin Spacey set for return to movies with paedophilia drama

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/may/24/kevin-spacey-return-italian-paedophilia-drama

Not sure if you guys saw this, but to me it seems a little on the nose, like when Dershowitz was going on a panel defending pedophiles.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/834991-kevin-spacey-accuser-refuses-to-reveal-identity-leading-to-lawsuits-dismissal

He can't keep getting away with this!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

judge kaplan siding with the rich and powerful again is it?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Guantanamo and habeas corpus abuse (Gladio kicker? Don't know the Kenya and Tanzania bombings); premier mob judge; artwork money laundering; Latin American imperialism (environmental destruction kicker). Busy busy busy.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

lmao the flexing

obviously Spacey had Epstein killed

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

500excf type r posted:

Bold to presume that Spacey wasn't already in charge and that Usual Suspects wasn't him bragging about it publicly

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1396817905959022601?s=20

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Kevin Spacey being a low-key super-shithead demon 2nd act boss of the apocalypse is surprising to me, but it probably shouldn't be

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

You almost got me getfiscal, you scamp

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

this tweet thread is amazing

FMguru posted:

A history professor at Syracuse posted a twitter thread following along with his efforts to read Gladwell's book on strategic bombing:

https://twitter.com/Alan_Allport/status/1395770118785966086

It goes about as well as you would imagine.

Oh poo poo he broke the code!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Alan_Allport/status/1395847473151807492

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

said gently caress off aloud before realizing who posted, oh gf...

nut
Jul 30, 2019

getfiscal can't stop

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
big thanks to the recommendation of "The Yankee and Cowboy War" by Carl Oglesby. I'm about halfway through and it's a crack-ping a minute.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

currently wondering whether the guy that runs the barely sociable youtube channel reads/posts itt. his latest video is on a scientist that disappeared after making some pretty crazy claims regarding superconductors and antigravity. he also recommends thread favorite Chaos in his audible ad.

i was also doing some reading last week after being spurred on by this post:

500excf type r posted:

You can patent anything, it doesn't have to work

I could patent a gizmo that tunes into specific graviton frequencies to be affected or disaffected by specifically gravity wells but that doesn't mean I could levitate

into reading about gravitons and came across podkletnov and modanese. just a weird coincidence his video talks about them when i was considering doing a post going into their work

video mentions some other stuff somewhat thread relevant, including pais and his goofy navy patents, check it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS_rEzKdzBA

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CorbinHiar/status/1397559353012625420

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Love unsurprising but extremely alarming stuff. It's its own kind of crack ping.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i honestly did not expect Gates to be against climate action. why?!?!

every time I think I'm fully crack pinged, I hit a new level. currently at ssgss.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
He's extremely evil OP, hth.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

crepeface posted:

every time I think I'm fully crack pinged, I hit a new level. currently at ssgss.

playing the long game to kill off all the penguins, smdh

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Love unsurprising but extremely alarming stuff. It's its own kind of crack ping.

I'm right here with you. Totally unblinkingly accepting of this news but simultaneously flabbergasted that they'd fund combating climate change action.

:thermidor:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

crepeface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H27rfr59RiE&t=45s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

crepeface posted:

bill gates is a deeply evil, cynical person who, because of his wealth and power, exhausted all conventional goals and aspirations. all he has left to drive him forward is to change the future he will never see