Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

For you maybe. I loved the Mexican American characters and their northern Mexican dialect. I’m also a big Bautista guy. Vanderhoe and Dieter slowly becoming friends to me was great too.

E: i think this movie just hits different for me because I am literally from the border and I was surprised just how much Zack had to say about the US/Mexico border situation with this movie (the wall, the camps, etc)

You can hate it but you’ll probably never understand my perspective I guess and that’s fine. I would go in with a more open minded perspective personally.

I did go in with an open minded perspective. I'm a fan of genre movies, and of zombie movies and especially heist movies. I thought Snyder's Justice League was fun and worth watching.

But I'm straight up disappointed the movie is as half baked as it is, that it did a slipshod job hitting the things that make heist movies or zombie movies great, and especially that the script was as lackluster as it was.

If people enjoy it tho fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Saying something is possibly weak is a pretty far cry from "Actually, the message is incredibly strong but in the opposite direction".

I said it was compromised.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

"Edgy" was probably a sillier term than I should have used, but you're the one who was claiming that Disney wouldn't allow Snyder to include elements in his films, and I ask what these too-hot controversial inclusions are?

TBF they said Snyder would "want to have stuff in it that they don’t want" and one incredibly basic thing is: there's no way Snyder would want a second unit directing all (or even the majority of) the action for his movie.

I honestly think Snyder pre-JL fiasco would have gotten along with Marvel alright since he seems like a pretty reasonable guy overall. He seemed to follow studio notes and included world building stuff they requested in MoS and BvS, and was even following a lot of their directives with Justice League until he basically reached a breaking point where their micro-managing became too much for him*. I absolutely think after that experience he wouldn't go back to do a big franchise film where he didn't get to be the one making a lot of the final decisions, not even because his stuff is "too extreme mannnnn" or whatever but because he has probably had enough of that kind of studio oversight.

* and again, for context, I think his breaking point here was pretty generous: he had pitched Justice League as a trilogy and they agreed and were totally on board with his ideas and direction until the backlash to BvS hit and they started chipping away at this, taking it from a trilogy to a two-parter to a single movie that they kept trying to whittle down to 2 hours when he finally just said "this isn't what I signed on to make" and cut his losses

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Comrade Fakename posted:

Then whey even bother to use them as legitimate examples in your argument? Just because those components exist doesn't immediately make the movie more interesting. If anything it makes the movie worse because they're compromised themes, lol.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Please do not post your MSNBC lib poo poo in this thread.

Calling Sean Spicer a mouthpiece for a man who attempted to install a dictatorship is perhaps the least inflammatory and most accurate way of describing his role in the Trump administration to the point where I’d sincerely wonder if you were in a coma for the past four years if you had a problem with that characterization.

I don’t really have a problem with Spicer in the movie but it’s absolutely a sour note for this movie to play given the context within which he appears, and left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth early on.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Justice League itself may not be out of place in the MCU, but then it's the lighter and softer sequel to two movies which very much would be. As late as Thor Ragnarok the Marvel movies were doing big displays of how Not Man Of Steel they were

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NieR Occomata posted:

Calling Sean Spicer a mouthpiece for a man who attempted to install a dictatorship is perhaps the least inflammatory and most accurate way of describing his role in the Trump administration to the point where I’d sincerely wonder if you were in a coma for the past four years if you had a problem with that characterization.

I don’t really have a problem with Spicer in the movie but it’s absolutely a sour note for this movie to play given the context within which he appears, and left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth early on.

For context, there's a history of people accusing Snyder of being a fascist provocateur and his fans of being chuds who mainly like his stuff because Disney is too woke for them. So describing what was probably at worst a poor-taste gimmick casting in the manner above probably got people's defenses way up.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

teagone posted:

Then whey even bother to use them as legitimate examples in your argument? Just because those components exist doesn't immediately make the movie more interesting. If anything it makes the movie worse because they're compromised themes, lol.

I didn't say the films were more interesting, or better. Just that they included more complicated and controversial (i.e. "edgy") themes than Justice League.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

At least Spicer is getting dunked on in his cameo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That’s on Snyder for deciding to give a mouthpiece for a fascist racist piece of poo poo a paycheck for appearing in his movie, not on the rando sa forums poster for calling it out as such.

And again it more speaks to how Snyder has no self-control or thinks through the real world implications of what he is doing in preference to doing something that looks cool or is some super sick awesome own. The process was certainly Snyder thinking that his incredibly powerful awesome political allegory would be even better and more clever if Sean Spicer was in it, ignoring he was making a dumb heist zombie movie and not Schindler’s loving List.

But again, let me be clear, this is part and parcel with the Snyder brand. He thinks that he and only he can make a movie this “clever” and “layered” when it’s actually infantile and plebeian nonsense at its most skin deep and pointless of criticisms that all adds up to being a load of nothing. Nothing that should’ve been excised by any script doctor worth their salt who could’ve given the entire pointless Camp analogy a once-over and gone “Zack all of this needs to be cut, it’s not given enough screen time for the political analogy to be meaningful and it just distracts from the central thrust of the movie”. Army continuously and repeatedly makes this fundamental storytelling failure in its two and a half hour runtime for no good reason, entirely because the director wrote the script and everyone involved in making this movie who held the purse strings was in lockstep about how Snyder is some brilliant genius whose every thought is pure gold.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not to launder Spicer's reputation in the slightest but he was gone from the Trump administration less than a year in because he was so bad at his job and a complete laughing stock. He's exactly the kind of person MSNBC or CNN would hire for analysis to say "We have voices from both sides". I'm absolutely sure he would have supported the Trump coup if it had been successful but this was all made like a year before any of that happened.

Probably would be easy enough to replace him in post but he has the luxury of not having actively been involved or in the spotlight.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

NieR Occomata posted:

i don't care either way because breathlessly calling trump a fascist trying to usurp democracy (as if slightly more polite conservatives aren't) is very whatever but it is still extremely funny that they replaced the sexpest comedian with tig notaro but left in sean spicer lol

also i've been thinking about it and i get that this movie is filled to the brim with aliens homages/etc but the film i mostly connect it to is rubber

is it possible zack snyder tricked the studios into giving him $90 million to make a spiritual sequel to the 2010 film rubber

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Comrade Fakename posted:

teagone posted:

Frankly, it's a stretch to call them compromised themes. The movie has like the clearest themes of the MCU, there's no anti-colonialist core here accidentally undone by some unfortunate choices - it's just a strong imperialist narrative backed by an imperialist marketing campaign.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I didn't say the films were more interesting, or better. Just that they included more complicated and controversial (i.e. "edgy") themes than Justice League.
Being pro-imperialist is not controversial at all, it's the default in America.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

NieR Occomata posted:

That’s on Snyder for deciding to give a mouthpiece for a fascist racist piece of poo poo a paycheck for appearing in his movie, not on the rando sa forums poster for calling it out as such.

And again it more speaks to how Snyder has no self-control or thinks through the real world implications of what he is doing in preference to doing something that looks cool or is some super sick awesome own. The process was certainly Snyder thinking that his incredibly powerful awesome political allegory would be even better and more clever if Sean Spicer was in it, ignoring he was making a dumb heist zombie movie and not Schindler’s loving List.

But again, let me be clear, this is part and parcel with the Snyder brand. He thinks that he and only he can make a movie this “clever” and “layered” when it’s actually infantile and plebeian nonsense at its most skin deep and pointless of criticisms that all adds up to being a load of nothing. Nothing that should’ve been excised by any script doctor worth their salt who could’ve given the entire pointless Camp analogy a once-over and gone “Zack all of this needs to be cut, it’s not given enough screen time for the political analogy to be meaningful and it just distracts from the central thrust of the movie”. Army continuously and repeatedly makes this fundamental storytelling failure in its two and a half hour runtime for no good reason, entirely because the director wrote the script and everyone involved in making this movie who held the purse strings was in lockstep about how Snyder is some brilliant genius whose every thought is pure gold.

These sure are some assumptions!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

NieR Occomata posted:

But again, let me be clear, this is part and parcel with the Snyder brand.

The whole "Snyder is too stupid to know what he's actually doing" is both boring and unverifiable. You don't have any inside knowledge on this, you don't know a single person on this movie personally, so all you've done is waste everyone's time with a 2 paragraph screed of your own fantasies and screech it at strangers on the internet. Bizarre.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Sean spicer is in the movie because the movie near explicitly takes place during a trump presidency and he’s a useful signpost of that fact

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

NieR Occomata posted:

Would love to hear what you think about the Biden administration

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NieR Occomata posted:

Lol see this is the exact thing, you make a fairly reasonable point that Snyder shouldn't have given a paycheck to Spicer, okay fair, criticism noted.

Then you go on this rant about Snyder's major flaws as a filmmaker that seem made up out of whole cloth. Like, "he thinks he and only he can make a movie this 'clever' and 'layered'..." is completely contradicted by everything people who work with and collaborate with him have ever said about him, and how genuinely enthusiastic a fan of movies he seems to be (based on his own interviews but also the slew of references he puts in his films) and how he seems to value input from all sides. You're not even just critiquing flaws in the story, you're making up behind-the-scenes justifications for why those flaws happened which seem to be entirely "everyone involved is stupid and thinks Snyder is a genius, when only I can see through this mirage"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"Any scriptwriter worth their salt" proclaims some rando poster who I personally guarantee does not work as a script writer, does not know any script writers, and is not in any industry adjacent to the movies. LMAO the dude is just writing fan fiction where he (in the guise of this "script writer worth a salt") loudly owns Snyder on all his "bad ideas" and sends him packing, unlike those idiot Netflix money men! (who this poster doesn't know the names or backgrounds of).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Necrothatcher posted:

All this from someone with a Nier/Yoko Taro avatar is pretty funny imo.

This post is very confusing to me.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Sean spicer is in the movie because the movie near explicitly takes place during a trump presidency and he’s a useful signpost of that fact

It's fine to portray Sean Spicer in this movie. It's not fine to pay Sean Spicer to appear in this movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They should have got Melissa McCarthy (sorry if that joke was made already)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Any scriptwriter worth their salt" proclaims some rando poster who I personally guarantee does not work as a script writer, does not know any script writers, and is not in any industry adjacent to the movies. LMAO the dude is just writing fan fiction where he (in the guise of this "script writer worth a salt") loudly owns Snyder on all his "bad ideas" and sends him packing, unlike those idiot Netflix money men! (who this poster doesn't know the names or backgrounds of).

I don't know anything about that guy's life but when I watched this with my SO who does actually follow how much money movies cost/make she kind of wondered aloud how much this would have lost in theaters after advertising if covid hadn't shuffled it off to netflix

I don't think it would have lost as much as DUNE is going to but I see it getting into 'breaking even, maybe' range

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't know anything about that guy's life but when I watched this with my SO who does actually follow how much money movies cost/make she kind of wondered aloud how much this would have lost in theaters after advertising if covid hadn't shuffled it off to netflix

I don't think it would have lost as much as DUNE is going to but I see it getting into 'breaking even, maybe' range

I thought this was a Netflix production from the start, aside from the preproduction/concept from several years ago.

That's one thing I do love about the streaming model, movies like this get made that would never make money theatrically. You are dead on about Dune. I bet it is awesome and also makes no money.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

NieR Occomata posted:

I get the feeling Zack Snyder would be perfectly happy to be called plebeian. But then I don't know him as well as you seem to.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean, I don't feel like you really needed anything more than Trump talking about how it's extremely American to nuke an American city on the fourth of July. Also a very American perspective, which fair enough, that part is about an American issue (or at least the American version of it), but very few people outside the US is gonna recognize the dude. Frankly, probably not a whole lot inside either. Having a character sarcastically calling the nuke a "Big beautiful explosion" later in the movie would probably do more to anchor the movie in the near-present.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Hell they only gave the Vasquez character one good scene before acing her inexplicably.

Chambers is a hundred times better than Vasquez simply for the fact that she’s not a white woman in brown face who got the job because her white boss thought it was hilarious that she showed up to audition in brown face.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I thought this was a Netflix production from the start, aside from the preproduction/concept from several years ago.

That's one thing I do love about the streaming model, movies like this get made that would never make money theatrically. You are dead on about Dune. I bet it is awesome and also makes no money.

oh, I thought they snapped it up after but on review it languished in development hell for a decade before they bought it and actually started filming. i have no idea what netflix's business model is though, while in theory it's about generating new exclusive content I mostly suspect their biggest moneymakers are people forgetting to cancel their account

and yeah, dune could be the best movie of this decade and it will still lose $100 million, its a completely cursed project

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I think Snyder pitched AotD to WB but the execs were like we cant do anything with this script and shoveled it off to Netflix.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Wolfsheim posted:

Do we know if covid had anything to do with WBs bad decisions? The fact that this is is a cast of mainly PoC in a zombie flick, kind of says it was always going to be a success. Can you point to any multicultural led film that doesn't at least do well overseas? And the budget was 70 mil before reshoots, ain't nobody gonna be losing out accept the WB execs who we now know just don't want PoC in their movies.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Chambers is a hundred times better than Vasquez simply for the fact that she’s not a white woman in brown face who got the job because her white boss thought it was hilarious that she showed up to audition in brown face.

Yes dude!!!!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

All the streaming services' MO seems to be "make the interface annoying enough to use that people don't like using it, but not so annoying to use that they just cancel their subscription" to maximize the length of time subscribed:amount of stuff actually watched ratio. Apart from Amazon, which straight-up does not want you using the video service at all because if you're paying for Prime it's probably to save on delivery fees so they have your money anyway. I loving hate prime video so much

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ruddiger posted:

got the job because her white boss thought it was hilarious that she showed up to audition in brown face.

Is this part true?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MacheteZombie posted:

Is this part true?

I never heard this, just that she showed up wearing a lot of makeup. The way she describes it they were mostly impressed with her big arms. It's been a while, maybe more info has come out?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Is this part true?

Yeah hold up, I need confirmation if that happened.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, I don't feel like you really needed anything more than Trump talking about how it's extremely American to nuke an American city on the fourth of July. Also a very American perspective, which fair enough, that part is about an American issue (or at least the American version of it), but very few people outside the US is gonna recognize the dude. Frankly, probably not a whole lot inside either. Having a character sarcastically calling the nuke a "Big beautiful explosion" later in the movie would probably do more to anchor the movie in the near-present.

When you link this with the zombie container originally being labeled to go to Iran, we have to reach the conclusion that the entire reason they were going to infect Iran with a zombie virus was as a pretext for nuking it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I mean you be the judge

Aliens

Terminator 2

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"Any scriptwriter worth their salt" proclaims some rando poster who I personally guarantee does not work as a script writer, does not know any script writers, and is not in any industry adjacent to the movies.

This is extremely flawed reasoning. You don't need culinary credentials to tell your steak's burnt, why is that somehow applicable here?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

moths posted:

This is extremely flawed reasoning. You don't need culinary credentials to tell your steak's burnt, why is that somehow applicable here?

That's not what they're doing. What they are doing is describing how they think the chef and his staff prepares the meal despite never setting foot in a kitchen. It's literally some dipshit in the dining room ranting about what the chef was thinking and ascribing motives to the owner (who they don't know and have never met), pure fantasy.

Edit: to keep this metaphor going, a lot of this thread is people saying "well I NEVER want pickles on my burger, there's no excuse for that IMO" and expecting anyone else to care.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

moths posted:

It's not, but if your steak is burnt and you begin to fantasise about the chef being told off by another, better chef then uhh. What are you doing.