Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Cross posting for reference but the OP of the GBS "stop making GBS threads at work" thread has ABANDONED it and needs to be owned until they return to answer for their crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

xcheopis posted:

The worst of the data sets has finally been uploaded. It only took me half of one work day and most of today, god drat. It's not just their data, it's also that our database is very very creaky and gives hilarious error messages in the middle of a 45-minute upload process, such as "there are records in the import table without client ids" and then aborts the import and demands that I never try to import anything ever again, so I have close the demented thing and re-open it and start all over.

And the closest we have to "client ids" is that a lot of times the client's SSN is included but not always, so. What the gently caress.

Yes, we are using a Microsoft product how is that important?

Access strikes again!

xcheopis

cruft posted:

Access strikes again!

How ever did you know?

Finger Prince

It's funny to think how "when I say jump, you say how high" is used as a quote to show dominance and obedience. That seems like a pretty sweet power dynamic compared to "when I say jump, you jump, you don't ask questions, and it had better be high enough."

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

It's funny to think how "when I say jump, you say how high" is used as a quote to show dominance and obedience. That seems like a pretty sweet power dynamic compared to "when I say jump, you jump, you don't ask questions, and it had better be high enough."

Lately in my job, it's more like "when I say rewrite this, you say how many times".

Because I'm now on the fourth iteration of the mission/vision, which has had 0 substantial changes, and we are just catering to the whims of management increasingly higher on the chain. For the last update, I just reverted to two revisions ago.

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

Lately in my job, it's more like "when I say rewrite this, you say how many times".

Because I'm now on the fourth iteration of the mission/vision, which has had 0 substantial changes, and we are just catering to the whims of management increasingly higher on the chain. For the last update, I just reverted to two revisions ago.

Our manager asked us today to review a flowchart of our daily routine to make sure it was accurate and a bunch of my colleagues had various feedback and I'm just sitting there reading it going lol I don't even know what my job is anymore.

Escape From Noise

Yeah. Pretty unsure of my position. God I hate this job.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

My job is to sell things to Big Ears Company and, since I'm on "vacation" nobody is answering Big Ears Company. I know this, because Big Ears Management has called me three times this morning asking why I haven't answered. I informed them before I left that I would be out of office for two days.

I loving called it.

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

My job is to sell things to Big Ears Company and, since I'm on "vacation" nobody is answering Big Ears Company. I know this, because Big Ears Management has called me three times this morning asking why I haven't answered. I informed them before I left that I would be out of office for two days.

I loving called it.

Big Ears lil Brains.

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

Cross posting for reference but the OP of the GBS "stop making GBS threads at work" thread has ABANDONED it and needs to be owned until they return to answer for their crimes.

Also finally checked out this thread, yeah the OP is either Bezos or Gates or some other colossal waste of carbon. Worst (and probable) case scenario: they are a class traitor.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Escape From Noise

That OP was a worse crime than my most heinous coffee poo poo.

Escape From Noise

We had a three and a half hour long meeting. About two hours was about tax and labeling stuff, which was probably good to know, but was also pretty long-winded. After that the rest of the time was taken up by another presentation about mash pH, which I already know about. We also watched a presentation on it last week and talked about it multiple times afterwards. I told him an easy fix. The owner also doesn't really understand it, he just rehashed the presentation we'd watched earlier. Since that presentation he's become focused on this. I've talked to him multiple times since then about measuring the pH during our next brew day and how to easily adjust things. It's not that complicated to deal with, I don't mind dealing with it, but it absolutely does not need this amount of attention when there are several other pressing issues that need to be addressed, but I can't move forward with them until I can raise the issues with him, but he won't allow time for anything else until he's taken up a meeting talking about whatever little issue he read about or heard at a conference most recently and has made a top priority.

He keeps talking about things like making new recipes and using liquid yeast from the US or whatever while not keeping me in the loop as to what's actually going on with the constantly shifting brewing schedule. We do need more diversity in recipes but again, it's not that complicated. Our processes are a mess but he wants to talk minor adjustments. He's also talking about wanting to enter our beer into massive competitions we'd barely have a chance at if our QA and QC were actually any good. I doubt we'll make it to the second round. We're rearranging the deck chairs as the ship sinks.

Basically I'm just sort of over it and going through the motions. I can't get anything to move forward. It's so mind numbing.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 22, 2021

cruft

Would he let you take one tank and do your own thing there? It might be a way to show you know what you're doing, although he should have known that when he hired you and he just sounds like a bad boss.

Escape From Noise

I was able to change tank cleaning SOPs. The problem is everything else doen the line. Even if I changed one tank, the overall issues would be endemic. It's just slamming my head against a brick wall.

Edit: What I mean is, even with the tank itself being cleaned properly, it doesn't mean much if bottling machine or kegging equipment isn't cleaned properly.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 22, 2021

Ass-penny

Have you tried putting your sweaty ballsack on your bosses face? It sounds like it could really help your situation.

:siren: putting your balls on your bosses face is not for everyone, please contact your doctor to see if putting your balls on your bosses face is right for you.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Escape From Noise

I'm just checking out. If he isn't going to let me change things, why waste the time and effort on trying to improve?

Escape From Noise

My boss is also now worried about yeast autolysis, which is off flavors from dead yeast. In order for this happen you need to shock yeast with sudden temperature changes, or let the yeast remain in the beer for a really long time. Like probably a year. That or really heat up packaged beer. He seems to think it happens really quickly, because he thinks the yeast that settles to the bottom of the tank is dead and not dormant, despite knowing it can be re-pitched into a fresh batch of beer. I'm pretty sure he's going to walk back plans for a longer fermentation period that I put forward.

cruft

Escape From Noise posted:

My boss is also now worried about yeast autolysis, which is off flavors from dead yeast. In order for this happen you need to shock yeast with sudden temperature changes, or let the yeast remain in the beer for a really long time. Like probably a year. That or really heat up packaged beer. He seems to think it happens really quickly, because he thinks the yeast that settles to the bottom of the tank is dead and not dormant, despite knowing it can be re-pitched into a fresh batch of beer. I'm pretty sure he's going to walk back plans for a longer fermentation period that I put forward.

I just don't understand this style of operating a small business. I want to hire people who are well-qualified to do a specific job, but then I'm going to ignore their advice and even enforce contradictory procedure... I mean, why did I hire this person? I could have hired a high school student for a lot less, and then I wouldn't have to fight them.

I'm sure this thought has crossed your mind too.

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

I just don't understand this style of operating a small business. I want to hire people who are well-qualified to do a specific job, but then I'm going to ignore their advice and even enforce contradictory procedure... I mean, why did I hire this person? I could have hired a high school student for a lot less, and then I wouldn't have to fight them.

Hell, large businesses operate this way too.

Escape From Noise

cruft posted:

I seriously constantly wonder this. I'm also getting paid way more than anyone else because in his words I know a lot about beer. He tells everyone to listen to me, takes my advice at first, then decides to revert back to the original way a few days later.

I was apparently hired to improve issues, but how am I going to change anything without making any real changes? At least I got them to change tank cleaning SOPs. That poo poo before was awful.

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

Hell, large businesses operate this way too.

Yeah, I think the issue with large businesses is you have several people steering the ship so any change can take a really long time as it needs to go through several levels sometimes.

In cases like this it's just one guy who's in total control but doesn't really know what he's doing. Decisions are seemingly made based on some tiny bit of information from a larger piece of knowledge and just laser focused on.

Dude also laughed at me when I suggested getting a face shield for the incredibly harsh caustic and acid we work with. We didn't have safety glasses until I said to get some. I bought a face shield today though. Changing anything to a noticable degree here's impossible, but I'm not melting my face off for it.

cruft

I seriously constantly wonder this. I'm also getting paid way more than anyone else because in his words I know a lot about beer. He tells everyone to listen to me, takes my advice at first, then decides to revert back to the original way a few days later.

I was apparently hired to improve issues, but how am I going to change anything without making any real changes? At least I got them to change tank cleaning SOPs. That poo poo before was awful.

Kinda sounds to me like you're a consultant.

Escape From Noise

cruft posted:

Kinda sounds to me like you're a consultant.

I guess I am, yeah. It's very weird.

Escape From Noise

I have been thinking about starting a consulting business on the side but there's a lot of paperwork for the business and visa I still need to figure out.

cruft

Hi, I just got off a call with my boss and two people who work for me. Here's the lowdown:

• We must submit a 6-8 page request to continue working from home.
  • This must demonstrate how our working from home benefits the organization.
  • "I will be happier at my job" is not a valid benefit.
  • "I will be less stressed" is not a valid benefit.
  • "We've been doing this for 18 months and everyone, including our customers, agrees that it's been great" is not a valid benefit.
  • Upper management has pre-emptively denied requests to work from home full time: we can ask for 1-2 days, or 3-4 days a week.
  • There is a high probability that our requests will be denied.
  • At least one of my people is probably going to quit over this. I may lose the entire team.

So... yeah. I have no idea what pressures upper management is dealing with, but here in lower management, this is like the beginning of a slow-motion train wreck.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I can never take a day off again because they somehow managed to almost lose Big Ears to a competitor in the two entire days I was away from work.

Ass-penny

cruft posted:

Hi, I just got off a call with my boss and two people who work for me. Here's the lowdown:

• "We've been doing this for 18 months and everyone, including our customers, agrees that it's been great" is not a valid benefit.
  • Upper management has pre-emptively denied requests to work from home full time: we can ask for 1-2 days, or 3-4 days a week.
  • At least one of my people is probably going to quit over this. I may lose the entire team.

So... yeah. I have no idea what pressures upper management is dealing with, but here in lower management, this is like the beginning of a slow-motion train wreck.

:suicide:

Also :lol: at upper management dealing with pressure at all. I mean, I know they have responsibilities, but let's just talk about the list you posted.
  • 6-8 pages seems arbitrary AF. There's no reason you should have to write a request on par in length with my average undergrad paper.
  • They don't consider employee happiness/stress levels as relevant to being beneficial to the organisation? See how fuckin beneficial it is to have people fuckin quit on you over this.
  • If the customers have no issues with how things have been handled over the last 18 months what possible beef does upper management have with it? They really really want to see all your faces in the office, so they can micromanage your time?
  • Maybe they just really like paying rent to whoever owns your office space?
Best of luck, cruft.

:suicide101:
It sucks, but good on you for getting your own PPE, poo poo is not a game.

I'm always thankful to not have an office job, and now hearing stories like cruft's I'm even more thankful. I think I mentioned before there's talk about letting customers into my place of business again. I'm not about it. Even not having them in the store though, the vast majority of them when I bring food out to em or make deliveries aren't wearing masks, I suppose it wouldn't be a massive change. But we've really thrown rules about what we're allowed to listen to out the window and I don't want to have to think about lyrics hard enough to try and decide what is and isn't appropriate for the loving shambling monsters that shop here.

Customers are the loving worst.

Escape From Noise

Oh. They paid for the PPE. I just picked it up.

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

I can never take a day off again because they somehow managed to almost lose Big Ears to a competitor in the two entire days I was away from work.

:popeye:

Ass-penny

Oh. They paid for the PPE. I just picked it up.

Even better then!

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

That's loving mind blowing.

Escape From Noise

cruft posted:

Ahhhhhh management!

Vernii

Mormon Nailer posted:

That's going to be an unpleasant surprise for them if you find a new job.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Vernii posted:

That's going to be an unpleasant surprise for them if you find a new job.

Yup. This is my caring face.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Cruft I can have Wife Unit toss you to the Big Search Bois if you're interested. They're hiring SRE management like crazy.

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

Yup. This is my caring face.

Please Nailer, don't hurt 'em!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm gonna drive all the way to don't poop at work guy's office and poop at his work, in his desk, while on the clock at my job. That'll teach em all.

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

I'm gonna drive all the way to don't poop at work guy's office and poop at his work, in his desk, while on the clock at my job. That'll teach em all.

I think this is fair, but maybe you should recruit a few people to join you. Just flood his workspace with on the clock excrement.

cruft

rear end-penny posted:

I'm always thankful to not have an office job, and now hearing stories like cruft's I'm even more thankful. I think I mentioned before there's talk about letting customers into my place of business again. I'm not about it. Even not having them in the store though, the vast majority of them when I bring food out to em or make deliveries aren't wearing masks, I suppose it wouldn't be a massive change. But we've really thrown rules about what we're allowed to listen to out the window and I don't want to have to think about lyrics hard enough to try and decide what is and isn't appropriate for the loving shambling monsters that shop here.

Customers are the loving worst.

See, here's the thing. Every job has some amount of bullshit that goes along with it, and on average, it's the same amount of bullshit. The difference is the type of bullshit. My job has a ton of bureaucracy, but generally they have their poo poo together about most things. The job I left to work here had almost no bureaucracy, but couldn't institutionally get its head out of its rear end, and I was far more subject to the petty whims of the idiots above me. When I was younger, I worked retail with awesome bosses but the customers were just absolutely horrid.

So you have to sort of what type of bullshit you're willing to put up with. When I was offered an adjunct professor job, I very quickly realized that I wouldn't be able to tolerate the parts of teaching that aren't teaching at all (parents, politicians, standardized tests) and turned it down.

This place I am now is just about the right type of bullshit for me to tolerate, but I think this WFH inflexibility is going to cause a lot of problems that could have been avoided. It was hard enough to hire people here, without having to say we're completely unwilling to entertain the option to work remotely. People in this field can make more money, and live wherever they want. Our benefits package is phenomenal, but try selling a 22-year-old on how great the retirement plan is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

Cruft I can have Wife Unit toss you to the Big Search Bois if you're interested. They're hiring SRE management like crazy.

Thanks, but I'm actually good, and don't really mind if I have to walk an extra 10 minutes a day into the office after walking my wife to work. Cruft jr. is driving herself places now, so the only real reason I'd need to stay home is for Ruby (our little dog). But my dad loves having her over now that mom's dead, and is sad when he's alone, so that problem pretty much solves itself.

My house is loads better than that dilapidated 1940s building I'll be going back to work in, but maybe I'll buy myself a couch or something, spruce it up.

I'm mostly concerned that everybody on my team is going to leave.