Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Aramoro posted:

Folk will say they're off to get the messages meaning going shopping. I was unware of this until my wife pointed out she had no idea what I meant by 'going to get the messages'

She didnae ken messages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
doing your messages is a NI thing as well

"redding up" meaning tidying up seems to be more localised to the bit i'm from but is apparently also somehow a thing in pittsburgh, PA

getting a skelf meaning a splinter, calling a woodlouse a slater. i could go on but it would most likely be very boring for everyone else

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

multijoe posted:

Wonder if this is to be another case where all types of crazy poo poo comes out now the threat if libel is gone

Well the Independent.co.uk’s report on his death only mentions him as being a F1 boss and nothing about all the fascist stuff. So they seem to be still afraid of his reputation.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I love British dialect discussion but i will never understand the strange words Englanders use for a simple bread roll

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm not sure the specifics are very interesting, but it is interesting that everyone will have phrases that they use which they think are perfectly normal but is actually very regional to where they are. Like getting a jag.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
in the north west of ireland you'll hear gee (pronounced like the indian butter) used for vagina and wab used for penis and for some reason i find both very funny

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

And nothing has ever made me hate poetry more except for the rime of the ancient mariner.

Like one, that through a poetry slam
Doth walk in fear and dread,
And having once heard verse walks on,
And turns no more his head;
Because he knows, a frightful rhyme
May suddenly be said

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

crispix posted:

"redding up" meaning tidying up seems to be more localised to the bit i'm from but is apparently also somehow a thing in pittsburgh, PA

getting a skelf meaning a splinter, calling a woodlouse a slater. i could go on but it would most likely be very boring for everyone else

Never heard it before, but "redding up" makes sense, from the Old English raede meaning "to arrange or prepare".

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Now do squinnying and dinlo.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
My favourites an old Scottish phrase my dad would say, ive never seen it written down but "stall yer man they jan the cant" which i believe meant "stop talking or you'll give yourself away" or :quiet down they can hear us" kinda thing

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Total Meatlove posted:

Now do squinnying and dinlo.

Not from my area, but I'd guess squinnying to be either onomatopoeic for the sound of moaning/crying, or related to the word squint in the literal sense of doing that being the face you make when you cry or complain. Dinlo I have no idea. *googles* Apparently it's a Romani word meaning fool?

but I cheated for that one so 0 points.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

South of Ireland too.

"Gee" as vag was made clear to me when 8yo Imagineer started karate lessons and showed off my brand new gi (fight pyjamas) to my older brothers who shite themselves laughing :unsmith:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

My favourites an old Scottish phrase my dad would say, ive never seen it written down but "stall yer man they jan the cant" which i believe meant "stop talking or you'll give yourself away" or :quiet down they can hear us" kinda thing

Sounds similar to the Cork equivalent of "hold on there" - "stall the ball" or "stall the ball, Pope John Paul" if you're fancy

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 24, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Reveilled posted:

I believe it's speculative, but messages as a term for groceries likely derives from the Old French "mes" meaning a small amount of food. This was borrowed into English as the term "mess", see "eton mess" and "mess hall", and also into Scottish English as "messages", with mess-age being the thing you would need to make mess.
a pot of message :hmmyes:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Reveilled posted:

I believe it's speculative, but messages as a term for groceries likely derives from the Old French "mes" meaning a small amount of food. This was borrowed into English as the term "mess", see "eton mess" and "mess hall", and also into Scottish English as "messages", with mess-age being the thing you would need to make mess.

I had heard it was from going and getting things from messenger boys.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I really enjoy "Dinlo"

It sounds like it's going to be some lovely schoolyard ableist term but it isn't and it's fun to say

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Aramoro posted:

Folk will say they're off to get the messages meaning going shopping. I was unware of this until my wife pointed out she had no idea what I meant by 'going to get the messages'

I don't like to break this to you but your parents/caregivers were probably spies.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Reveilled posted:

I know you're kidding, but it does actually rhyme!

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

One thing I really like about the poem is how it broke the entire meaning of that phrase. Before it was published people would use the line without a thought of irony or self-reflection. Now you basically can't use it like that any more, it lives on only as the lie it's called out as in this poem.

Haha yeah that was part of my poem-understanderer bit.

I take your point, but I feel like flag shagger culture has unfortunately shown that it can absorb and coexist quite happily with realistic depictions of ww1, like call of duty wisely quoting various authors on the futility of war whilst still being absolute filth

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gats Akimbo posted:

I'm old enough to have had Geoffrey Summerfield's Voices anthologies, which were fuckin' awesome.

I think we had that for O-level Eng Lit (1974/5)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Aramoro posted:

I had heard it was from going and getting things from messenger boys.

Perhaps not impossible, but that seems more likely to be a folk etymology to me. If we're talking literal messenger boys (carrying written messages), it would have to be a cross-class borrowing since you could imagine a merchant or an officer having to get messages from messenger boys, but not so much Peggy from the Gorbals "getting the messages" in 19th-20th century Scotland. If we're talking messenger boys that are carrying "messages" in the sense of groceries, that just moves us back one step and we'd want to explain why the groceries the boys carried were called messages in the first place.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

a pot of message :hmmyes:

A mess of pottage.

Originally something to do with lentils.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Hmm. I think Amazon is on to me. 3 suggested books
"25 times Britain was a bell end."
"The Abolition of Britain. From Winston Churchill to Diana."
"The politically incorrect guide to the British empire."

Facebook however is not sure if I'm a lesbian or a Viking I need of hair trimming products. So I'm not doing to bad a job of screwing with the algorithm.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Afternoon all.

I'm very much a lurker on this thread and site overall but really could do with some help to solve a problem of my own making.

I've been getting overpaid by work (NHS) for on-call duties since Feb 2020 (I stopped on-call duties in Jan 2020). For some reason I didn't say anything at the time, assuming they would notice and take it out of my next pay slip in March 2020. However they've carried on overpaying me and I've buried my head in the sand about it in case I got in trouble and now we're here and I need to get it fixed before I'm properly hosed.

I spent ten minutes on the phone to payroll today with no answer. How do I fix this and what is going to happen to me? It's the best job I've ever had and I'm scared I may have totally hosed it.

Any advice appreciated.

(Not a begging thread - I could pay the money back tomorrow if I had to).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
document your efforts to get un-overpaid, continue making some efforts, and I am pretty sure you'll be fine

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I just wouldn't mention it and if they bring it up plead ignorance and offer to pay back the difference. It's a mistake on their end after all. This is quite possibly terrible advice though.

The safe option is to do what you're doing and be very up front about how you're trying to get it sorted. I very much doubt there'll be much of an issue in terms of the job itself, it's essentially just a minor admin issue unless it looks like you've tried to deliberately make fraudulent claims or something.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 24, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A mess of pottage.

Originally something to do with lentils.
If you make it with oats instead you get porridge.

I'm not sure if you go to the shops for just oatmeal it becomes merridges.

Grey Hunter posted:

The cover to that one is amazingly :rolleyes:

Why yes I did know that the British Empire ended the slave trade, they covered that one in school, could you tell me a bit more about who started it and what the Royal African Company was chartered to do?

I swear the authors live in some alternate timeline where everyone born after 1975 just gets taught nothing but endless crimes of empire and the historical record needed nudging in the other direction, rather than this just being a reheated version of what most people got in school with more flags on top.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm interested in the period when the UK stood alone against the combined forces of nazi Germany, fascist italy, imperial Japan and Soviet Russia, does anyone know when that was?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gambrinus posted:

Afternoon all.

I'm very much a lurker on this thread and site overall but really could do with some help to solve a problem of my own making.

If you're regulated, start making very detailed records of your attempts to correct this and maybe refer yourself if it's something payroll is likely to do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

I'm interested in the period when the UK stood alone against the combined forces of nazi Germany, fascist italy, imperial Japan and Soviet Russia, does anyone know when that was?
The British Empire, not the UK, so it'd be that (e: entirely apocryphal iirc) period of a few hours when Canada declared war but nobody else had because of timezones.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 24, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a good enough idea that I'd be very surprised if it's not already been covered from every possible angle. Might be a fun jumping off point for fiction though, if nothing else the coincidence of someone found dead in Stepney and someone else being murdered there the next year with people suspiciously dying in breweries and falling down stairs the same weeks, could be good for a Restoration Goodfellas.

I started some historical detective stories back when I was writing, might need to start those up again.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Reveilled posted:

Like Shakespeare though, I think modern English lessons seriously damage appreciation the art, because we put some really great poems in front of kids who don't have the emotional experience to relate to them, and then ask them to read aloud stuff they can't relate to. I do hope that the pandemic forcing more technology into teaching will lead to teachers using videos of plays and poetry recitals instead of just having Steve, age 13 and a half, read a passage with the passion of a particularly boring accountant.

Here's one of my favourites, a classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB4cdRgIcB8

I'm also very fond of this stanza from Emily Dickinson's untitled poem 372, about what it feels like to go numb after suffering a great loss:
Oh absolutely, shakespeare is wasted on kids, and I don't mean that as a dig at kids.

I didn't understand any of Hamlet when I was forced to read it at school, nor the subtlety of any of the big memorable phrases we were told to memorise, nor the point of any of it because all of the videos we saw of it were the big, legs wide apart thespians roaring "OOOUH, tobeornottobethatisthe QUESTIYON."

As much as people may rag on David Tennant's whole gurning shtick that was at it's worst in Doctor Who, he was a really interesting contemporary Hamlet in 2009's RSC production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On14CIYwpyE

The scene is really, really clearly laid out and set up and the way the lines are said is not completely natural (because it's Tennant) but everything from the gravedigger's accent to the moment of recognition tell you infinitely more than the usual, standing in a spotlight with a skull staging usually does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbuojia1zc

crispix posted:

Around the North East woodlice are Slateybacks, and we have spelks for those annoying hair-thin bits of wood that catch on everything. If you tell a Geordie you have a splinter, you'd best have a small branch sticking out of your arm.

Apparently a lot of Geordie slang comes from viking and germanic roots which is why it's uniquely wedged between the celtic scots slang and latin-french english slang.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

XMNN posted:

Well it can't have been before or during the Munich talks.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Around the North East woodlice are Slateybacks, and we have spelks for those annoying hair-thin bits of wood that catch on everything. If you tell a Geordie you have a splinter, you'd best have a small branch sticking out of your arm.

yeah they have a lot of names :spiderguy:

quote:

"Jomits" (Cloneganna)
"armadillo bug"[7]
"billy baker" (South Somerset)
Billy Button (Dorset)
"boat-builder" (Newfoundland, Canada)[8]
"butcher boy" or "butchy boy" (Australia,[9] mostly around Melbourne[10])
"carpenter" or "cafner" (Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada)[11]
"carpet shrimp" (Ryedale)
"charlie pig" (Norfolk , England)
"cheeselog" (Reading, England)[12]
"cheesy bobs" (Guildford, England)[13]
"cheesy bug" (North West Kent, England)[14]
"cheesy lou" (Suffolk)
"cheesy papa" (Essex)
"cheesey wig"
"chiggy pig" (Devon, England)[15][16]
"chucky pig" (Devon, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, England)[17]
"chuggy peg" (North Devon)
"crawley baker" (Dorset)
"daddy grampher" (North Somerset)
"damp beetle" (North East England)
"dandy postman" (Essex and East London)
"doodlebug" (also used for the larva of an antlion)[18]
"gramersow" (Cornwall, England)[19]
"Mochyn Coed" (meaning "Tree Pig"), "Pryf lludw" (meaning "Ash fly"), "granny grey" in Wales[20]
"granny grunter" (Isle of Man)
"hog-louse"[21]
"horton bug" (Deal, Kent, England)
"humidity bug" (Ontario, Canada)
"menace" (Plymouth, Devon)
"monkey-peas" (Kent, England)[14]
"monk's louse" (transl. "munkelus", Norway)[22]
"parson's pig" (Isle of Man)[23]
"pea bug" or "peasie-bug" (Kent, England)[14]
"piggy wig"
"pill bug" (usually applied only to the genus Armadillidium)[24]
"potato bug"[25]
"roll up bug"[26]
"roly-poly"[25]
"rosary bug" (Turkey)
"slater" (Scotland, Ulster, New Zealand and Australia)[27][28][29]
"saw bug" (Dingwall, Nova Scotia)
"sow bug"[30]
"wood bug" (British Columbia, Canada)[31]
"wood-louse"
"Chiggy Pig" (North Devon)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlouse

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Gambrinus posted:

Afternoon all.

I've been getting overpaid by work (NHS) for on-call duties since Feb 2020 (I stopped on-call duties in Jan 2020). For some reason I didn't say anything at the time, assuming they would notice and take it out of my next pay slip in March 2020. However they've carried on overpaying me and I've buried my head in the sand about it in case I got in trouble and now we're here and I need to get it fixed before I'm properly hosed.

I spent ten minutes on the phone to payroll today with no answer. How do I fix this and what is going to happen to me? It's the best job I've ever had and I'm scared I may have totally hosed it.

Any advice appreciated.

(Not a begging thread - I could pay the money back tomorrow if I had to).

I've been through this before.

Firstly, that money is not yours. You have to pay it back, legally. Do not spend it - it is good that you say that you can pay it back tomorrow. Keep trying with payroll, send letters/emails so you have evidence, and wait. By all means put that money in a high-interest account or whatever to get the most out of it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Hmm. I think Amazon is on to me. 3 suggested books
"25 times Britain was a bell end."
"The Abolition of Britain. From Winston Churchill to Diana."

Facebook however is not sure if I'm a lesbian or a Viking I need of hair trimming products. So I'm not doing to bad a job of screwing with the algorithm.

The only time I've ever been hurt by the algorithm is when Facebook tried to sell me t-shirts for D&D players with generalised anxiety disorder, that loving hurt to see

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

I've been through this before.

Firstly, that money is not yours. You have to pay it back, legally. Do not spend it - it is good that you say that you can pay it back tomorrow. Keep trying with payroll, send letters/emails so you have evidence, and wait. By all means put that money in a high-interest account or whatever to get the most out of it.

Thanks. I'll get on the phone again tomorrow. Emailing them was useless. Thanks to everyone else as well. I've got form for burying my head in the sand.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Gambrinus posted:

Thanks. I'll get on the phone again tomorrow. Emailing them was useless. Thanks to everyone else as well. I've got form for burying my head in the sand.

I would suggest keeping up with the emailing them every time you phone them, just so you have records.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

multijoe posted:

The only time I've ever been hurt by the algorithm is when Facebook tried to sell me t-shirts for D&D players with generalised anxiety disorder, that loving hurt to see
This T-Shirt Belongs to a Baddass

SYSTEMS ANALYST

from

APPLEBY MAGNA

who was born in

SMARCH

and owns a

LABRADOR RETRIEVER

and a

FLYMO LAWNMOWER

:rock:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Gambrinus posted:

The emailing is just to keep a trail going. To be clear: they can't ask for more than what they've paid you back, so there's no danger of interest accruing or anything like that, and it's reasonable for you to agree to pay it back over x period of time.

I'm surprised they're not chasing this more though, when it happened to me my company were hot on my heels as soon as I noticed.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

When I was growing up in rural Hampshire in the 80s you could still occasionally hear farmers call woodlice 'flumps'. I heard one ancient wizened stockman use the word 'dumbledore' years before JKR put pen to paper. They used words like 'aftershear' (consequences), they would 'bait' rather than stoke/tend a fire, call a fussy person a 'quiddler', accuse a braggard or show-off of being 'janty' and call young geese 'gulls' rather than goslings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The other day I was watching an Antipodean Twitch stream and learned they use the term "total weapon" to mean a solid lad and not a pranny like we do o'er here.