Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Is it worth watching the vods of the Vicky 3 panels from pdxcon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like parties should be dynamic if they exist at all; having parties that were hard coded and tied to specific dates doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

In response to fan feedback, we are re-working the political system. Each ideology will now be represented by one political party, and for every legislative session (by default once every five years) each party can propose one piece of legislation, which can either be a Law or Motion...

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea I think the interest group system sounded like an interesting way to represent what political parties are without actually tying yourself down to the nitty gritty details of what parties exist and think. Does make me wonder how elections would be represented - totally passively, or basically times that interest group power would be refreshed and updated?

But in some countries the rising power of urban labours would be absorbed into a trade union party, in others it gets subsumed by the liberal party which accommodates them at the expense of another interest group.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like parties should be dynamic if they exist at all; having parties that were hard coded and tied to specific dates doesn't really make a lot of sense.

One of the devs said on a discord that they (personally) were playing with an idea of making political parties/factions a dynamic label you get dependent on what Interest Groups you're pulling support from, somewhat simialr to the government flavor names in Stellaris. I at least thought this was a very neat idea.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
If parties end up getting separated from demographic interest groups, a fun mod to make would be one that adds like ten separate leftist factions that agree on 90% of demands but also raise absolute hell if you try to make them coalition with each other.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
We're definitely not replacing the interest groups at any rate, there's a lot of countries/political systems where parties don't make sense.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Randarkman posted:

One of the devs said on a discord that they (personally) were playing with an idea of making political parties/factions a dynamic label you get dependent on what Interest Groups you're pulling support from, somewhat simialr to the government flavor names in Stellaris. I at least thought this was a very neat idea.
Yeah, that was what I was gonna suggest too, a purely flavor thing. Anything more, and I feel like it would just feel anemic unless they really went all-in, at which point it's probably better left for an expansion if it's not something that has really been in the plans until now.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BigglesSWE posted:

Did Victoria 2 have anything resembling an arms-race as a thing to happen? Since the build up of the German Navy was a major driving force in British foreign policy towards the 1910s, it would be interesting to see countries react to the developments of other countries, rather than just the active actions.

yeah it was “be the first to unlock machine guns/gas attack and ironclads”

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'm not sure parties need to be a distinct category of extra moving parts, at least not for release. I also know nothing about how the game works beyond a reddit post and some alpha screenshots so I shouldn't be listened to, but how is having a separate layer that says "the Democratic Party is in power, backed by the Landowners and opposed by the Petit Bourgeois interest groups" usefully different from just having the Landowners in government and the Petit Boug in opposition?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

feels wrong to have an economic system that isn't a black box powered by booze and imperialism tbh

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm not sure parties need to be a distinct category of extra moving parts, at least not for release. I also know nothing about how the game works beyond a reddit post and some alpha screenshots so I shouldn't be listened to, but how is having a separate layer that says "the Democratic Party is in power, backed by the Landowners and opposed by the Petit Bourgeois interest groups" usefully different from just having the Landowners in government and the Petit Boug in opposition?

If you refuse to use your imagination even a tiny bit then the idea that people vote for "the Rural Folk" is pretty dumb and you need someone to tell you that's not what is actually happening

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh gosh, please don't listen to dumb fans afraid of change. Parties were terrible and often broke the game. For instance:
People have been radicalized and elect the Communists. Communists arbitrarily oppose voting laws. The (communist) people like voting so you get a bunch of Jacobin rebels demanding voting rights. They succeed and the people... elect the Communists again.

There is no reason to arbitrarily link a group of political ideas together in a "party", and if you're doing it dynamically then it's pointless. If people are up in arms about a little bit of flavor, fine, whatever. But I'll be very unhappy if anything as restrictive and frustrating as Victoria 2 parties get added.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Parties should be what they are in real life (in theory anyway...): a confluence of disparate but otherwise in-agreement interest groups that choose to be represented collectively. Let the parties form organically based on what interest groups want, don't have parties that just exist and so happen to appeal to enough interest groups to get into power.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Eiba posted:

Oh gosh, please don't listen to dumb fans afraid of change. Parties were terrible and often broke the game. For instance:
People have been radicalized and elect the Communists. Communists arbitrarily oppose voting laws. The (communist) people like voting so you get a bunch of Jacobin rebels demanding voting rights. They succeed and the people... elect the Communists again.

There is no reason to arbitrarily link a group of political ideas together in a "party", and if you're doing it dynamically then it's pointless. If people are up in arms about a little bit of flavor, fine, whatever. But I'll be very unhappy if anything as restrictive and frustrating as Victoria 2 parties get added.

That rebel doom spiral was the worst thing about Victoria 2 and I hope its avoided/fixed. If only because needless micro is annoying at best to unmanageable at worst.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I don't really need a dynamic Populist Party to appear I'm entirely capable of just using my imagination to frame my ruling coalition of Rural Folk, Intellectuals, and Trade Unionists as the Populist Party and when the Trade Unionists get booted in favor of the Petit Bourgeois or something I can just imagine a new thing. If I were the omnipotent dictator of video games I wouldn't do parties as much more than a pure flavor bit of text localization off to the side of the interest groups/government screen, I don't see what the additional complexity adds except more moving parts for the simulation to break.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eiba posted:

This just means that parties were poorly implemented in V2 (like a lot of other things), not that there's something inherently wrong with them.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
We can leave Parties to the expansion a few expansions from now, the one where you can pay $30 to experience "Coalition Government Simulator" and have fun with:

• Passing or being subject to votes of no confidence
  • Not being able to form a coalition and having snap elections
  • Leftist circular firing squad
  • Horse trading for votes
  • Abolishing and/or instating the Filibuster
  • An MP stealing the royal scepter that makes the government exist
  • Customize the shape of your legislative room: horseshoe, two sides facing each other, semicircle, circle, and even classroom!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I like having specific party names so I like parties but I do think interest groups are more interesting, so as long as interest groups aren't depreciated for parties I am fine.

Plus you might be able to get things like an interest group jumping ship from backing one party to backing another party, which would be interesting emergent storytelling.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

DrSunshine posted:

We can leave Parties to the expansion a few expansions from now, the one where you can pay $30 to experience "Coalition Government Simulator" and have fun with:

Yeah party politics feel like an expansion mechanic that belongs with other things fleshing out parliamentary politics in the democracies rather than a core pillar of the game

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DrSunshine posted:

• Customize the shape of your legislative room: horseshoe, two sides facing each other, semicircle, circle, and even classroom!

A video game that lets you essentially play as Lincoln trying to wrangle votes for the Abolition amendment would be pretty dope.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Super Jay Mann posted:

Parties should be what they are in real life (in theory anyway...): a confluence of disparate but otherwise in-agreement interest groups that choose to be represented collectively. Let the parties form organically based on what interest groups want, don't have parties that just exist and so happen to appeal to enough interest groups to get into power.

This is my position. Go all in on them or wait and implement it in an expansion with it as the focus alongside other parliamentary poo poo. Doing it half assed just results in the vicky 2 problem of parties being this static unchanging thing that makes no sense based on their "ideology".

Obviously the wishlist would be interest groups coming together to form a party to get elected and get in power to get their agenda passed. Maybe they don't all agree but they agree enough on these issues to give ground and further what they really care about. Bonus points if you can have a party based around abolishing/promoting one issue that's spicy enough to get a lot of people invested from disparate interest groups that would die after the issue is abetted - like slavery. More bonus points if you have parties change over time - like how the democrats were the party of the south and rural areas and then the Republicans became that party.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Don't blame me, I voted for the intelligentsia.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Party politics is pretty enormously important in the history of this period, as the actual interface between social 'interest groups' and government policy. I'm not really worried that they'll do a better and more dynamic job of it than Vic2 does.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
This game made me want to try out vic2 so now I’m learning as Russia not to gently caress with German Empire regardless of what Italy and France say.

Is Japan fun? Japan seems like it would be fun to just gently caress up china.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Japan is very fun and chill, it's full sandbox mode

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Randarkman posted:

I'm not really a fan of the end date being as late as 1936 to be honest. The world before and after WW1 is just too different and the Victoria games were never good at actually simulating WW1 or its aftermath.

I almost feel like the Great War should be left out of the simulation all together and be a dynamic game over condition, though I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be terribly popular and might be bad at actually incentivising players to build up large standing armies alliance networks.

Eh I don't know. My most memorable Vicky 2 campaign had a very realistic WW1 where the whole world got involved and every country got bled white and at the end no one really felt like they won anything.

I recall losing something like 10 million soldier pops in a single multi-year battle in the Carpathian mountains.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Japan is very fun and chill, it's full sandbox mode

Are you hosed if you get sphered? All of my money as Russia came from tariffs. How do you not get sphered?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Are you hosed if you get sphered? All of my money as Russia came from tariffs. How do you not get sphered?

Become a great power yourself. There's some growing pains as Japan but you can easily get there after some minor industrializing.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Japan is hard to sphere because they have high pop. They also have a bunch of decent to good rgos that should print enough money to float you until you civilize and break into GP status. But no, not really being sphered for a lil as Japan is fine

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Doesn't getting sphered as Japan mean you can early westernise? I'll say it's well worth it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's been a minute but there's two ways to westernize via décision in Vicky 2 as Japan. One of them is getting spheres by the US but you need to wait until the 1860's. Or you can use the points you get from conquering Korea to westernize earlier at the cost of increased militancy.

Personally I'd go for the earliest westernization. It'll give you more time to gently caress around in the east before the euromericans move in. And conquering Korea Is a no brainer. High literacy, population, and good resources.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Japan is one of my favorite countries to play in V2 for how wide open of a sandbox it is. Once you modernize, the Asian-Pacific world is your oyster. There are lots of weak uncivs with good resources to bully (the coal and iron in Korea and Manchuria being particularly tempting targets), Spain and the Netherlands' colonies in Asia are easy pickings, and the sheer distance between you and Europe plus bad naval AI means a modernized Japan can punch way above its weight against other great powers.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

I'm deciding whether or not to start V2 up again and it got me thinking about the UK in the early and mid-game. Was it ever truly brutal to fight?

I remember always trying my best to avoid war with them but I can't really remember how challenging they were to fight. It would kinda be cool to have this huge and terrifying menace early game you have to avoid at all costs for a while.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Depends on what country you are, any decent GP at start should be able to take them (at least to a limited degree) so that it's more obnoxious to fight them than life threatening

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
I definitely fought the UK multiple times in my GP Mexico and Texas games. They could be pretty tough ...if the AI got mass troops to your shores.

Japan, Texas, and Mexico are my favorite playthroughs. Texas needs some serious luck early....but playing a brutally repressive bunch of Yahoos conquering the world was a blast.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I work in non-game development, but I wonder what user stories look like in a game like Victoria.

"As a slave pop, I would like to be able to kill my master pop and overthrow the government. Please fix ASAP, this is affecting production!"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I would personally try and avoid confronting the UK at gane start. You can beat them by virtue of the ai being braindead and then having people scattered all over the globe. But the opportunity cost is usually too high when you could be beating up uncivs or secondaries for equal or greater rewards.

Vicky is however the one game where they're a good ally. Getting them as am ally and using them to batter your enemies is fantastic

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I work in non-game development, but I wonder what user stories look like in a game like Victoria.

"As a slave pop, I would like to be able to kill my master pop and overthrow the government. Please fix ASAP, this is affecting production!"

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What if John Brown had succeeded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah I would personally try and avoid confronting the UK at gane start. You can beat them by virtue of the ai being braindead and then having people scattered all over the globe. But the opportunity cost is usually too high when you could be beating up uncivs or secondaries for equal or greater rewards.

Vicky is however the one game where they're a good ally. Getting them as am ally and using them to batter your enemies is fantastic
I don't know about that: the AI is often very bad about transporting troops to relevant places in a timely manner(it's how you win the Oriental Crisis as Egypt: just smother small Euro stacks as soon as they get dumped off), so I hope you're not counting on them doing anything vital.

Also, yeah...I want to see John Brown's Appalachian Republic of Freedmen raiding plantations throughout the South.