Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Humphreys posted:

Yeah I don't gently caress around with that poo poo without an arc-flash suit.

With suitable "you fuckin kidding" pose.

Just ensure you are not in the Chinese "imposter" version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

MRC48B posted:

Yes. We will. And it will be because managers cheaped out on maintenance when revenues dropped, not because of virus concerns.

None of them will be punished for this.

I know some industries, like aviation, have protocols for temporarily decommissioning systems, but I can only assume this is one big experiment to see how any of these protocols fare.

What happens to elevators if they’re not used for a year? Does the grease dry up? Is anyone paying for maintenance to make sure it doesn’t? I feel like mundane things like this are going to be the source of, at best, early system failures, and at worst, injuries etc.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I remember seeing some discussion about the potential for Legionnaire's disease from water systems that hadn't been used in a year.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
On a smaller scale this is absolutely happening. I work at a small nonprofit park thing and on top of the disuse our maintenance guy was also fired a little before COVID and never replaced. So far nothing dangerous has happened, just small poo poo like doors and toilets and whatever breaking a lot more often than usual. Leaks going unnoticed and causing damage, that kind of thing.

It doesn't help that most of the construction is not even a lowest bidder job, it's frequently discounted further as a "donation" so the corner cutting is intense. They built this massive wedding venue about 6 years ago and had these 30ish foot high white stone pillars. When these midwest fracking earthquakes started happening, we found out the guys who built it didn't really bother to secure some of the stones and some maybe 20-30lb stones near the top wiggle free and drop to the floor. Needless to say we had to shut down the entire venue while we paid someone else to come in and redo all of it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ultrafilter posted:

I remember seeing some discussion about the potential for Legionnaire's disease from water systems that hadn't been used in a year.

it showed up at Buckingham Palace

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

A Stupid Baby posted:

So far nothing dangerous has happened, just small poo poo like doors and toilets and whatever breaking a lot more often than usual. Leaks going unnoticed and causing damage, that kind of thing.

Our old pest control guy said that early in the pandemic a lot of his business clients (hotels, etc.) stopped doing regular visits for control since nobody was coming, then about 6 months later he ended up getting bigger jobs when they had problems and the prospect of having clients in again started getting better.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

mycomancy posted:

Tan is sus

Motherfucker always hiding in electrical :argh:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

For commercial buildings during the pandemic, there's a lot of stuff that needs attention when it's not getting used as normal. Elevators have to be run extra to keep the guide wheels round, traps and drains have to be kept wet, flushometers need exercise, and as noted you need to flow water to prevent bio stuff from growing. Even with regular pest treatment you don't have people spotting the single cockroach wandering around so you maybe don't know there's a problem until it's bigger. Early on the starving rats that usually fed on the restaurant trash in the alley dumpsters came calling, but that problem sorta solved itself.

I think I've kept up with stuff, but I'm sure there's places that slashed the budget with no rent coming in that are going to have some tough times later this summer/fall.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Humphreys posted:

Yeah I don't gently caress around with that poo poo without an arc-flash suit.

With suitable "you fuckin kidding" pose.

"What do you mean you forgot to pack the f*cking gloves?!"

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

JackSplater posted:

Driving a forklift is pretty easy. Driving a forklift well takes a lot of practice. A lot of people don't seem to think that and it's always entertaining watching them realize they're in way over their head.

The learning curve is steep but, once you get the hang of it they're easy. Initially I could barely just move one around the warehouse. Within a few months I was picking pallets off the top rack with the mast at full extent. Once you figure out plugging it get's way easier. The brakes are always grabby.

Never driven natural gas though. Only electric. I grew up on a farm so I'm used to driving a tractor with a bucket and rear hydraulics so I had a bit of a leg up, just not much.

The really dangerous warehouse device is a stand-up rider. The power pallet jack type that have a tiny platform that you ride on. They can throw you pretty easily if you aren't careful. The reverse safety switch keeps you from squishing yourself if you're walking behind it but you can still run yourself over, flip the truck, run over other people, smash stuff up good. At least they do stop themselves if you fall off.

When I'd show people how to operate a fork truck, they always thought the power pallet jack would be the easy one. You're way safer on a regular fork truck. You just have to pay attention. It's worth it to make sure everyone is certified. Remember, when you change jobs, you have to re-certify in most cases.

Also, don't drive off the dock. You will die. It will be squishy.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I want to say that powered pallet jacks are scary because they are kind of fun, sort of like riding a skateboard or scooter that weighs up to 5-10 tons depending on where you're scooting. Just don't get a piece of flesh caught between the machine and a rack doing 10-20mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SyVuPxkuxA
This is something of a best case scenario accident. All of the worse variations are harder to laugh at.

E: I thought I was exaggerating the 5 ton bit, but just the single length pallet truck pictured there weighs between 3 and 4.5 tons including battery, without load.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 24, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

do you WANT another Battlefield Earth!?

Yes, very much so.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

a primate posted:

I know some industries, like aviation, have protocols for temporarily decommissioning systems, but I can only assume this is one big experiment to see how any of these protocols fare.

Yeah the plane's "warranty" or the airplane equivalent is voided if it doesn't fly at least once a year so they periodically fly the stored planes around a bit. They're also concerned about pilots skill levels after being furloughed for a year.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Pekinduck posted:

Yeah the plane's "warranty" or the airplane equivalent is voided if it doesn't fly at least once a year so they periodically fly the stored planes around a bit. They're also concerned about pilots skill levels after being furloughed for a year.

We're also finding out engine storage procedures may not be the best procedures the aerospace industry has come up with.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Powershift posted:

Yes, very much so.

Lol wat

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Never seen 'em make ground beef?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
one of my uncles, in a wide-ranging set of careers, used to fly broken Cessnas (I think) to Canada (I think) to get them repaired.

he quit because he started getting complacent, treating it like driving instead of really paying attention, and he was worried he'd kill himself through carelessness.

which is a little surprising bc he did not quit immediately after the time the flight controls broke off in his hands midflight

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Powershift posted:

Yes, very much so.

"Cows! I hate cows worse than coppers!"

[fires his spacegun at them]

"Oh, George... not the livestock."

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Never seen 'em make ground beef?

At least it's lean

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Powershift posted:

Yes, very much so.

My favourite bad movie!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unstable gravity fields can be very dangerous
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qqsq8kYlUs1w5pr9j.mp4

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

mostlygray posted:

The really dangerous warehouse device is a stand-up rider. The power pallet jack type that have a tiny platform that you ride on. They can throw you pretty easily if you aren't careful. The reverse safety switch keeps you from squishing yourself if you're walking behind it but you can still run yourself over, flip the truck, run over other people, smash stuff up good. At least they do stop themselves if you fall off.

A lot of them also allow you to fold up the riding platform, thus turning them into just a powered pallet jack. A colleague did that at work a couple of months back and is still out of work because he managed to crush his ankle between one of those and a wooden platform. It's predicted that he'll recover but we probably won't have him back for another couple of months yet. His ankle was hosed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Purgatory Glory posted:

Ghostride the ship.

lol

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Ru2URwy.gifv

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV0-Gc2CDAQ

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Holy poo poo

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

olympic level cat-in-tree-removal.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

ascending_xylophone.wav

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

They defibrillated a steak?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well yes, they tried, but obviously it failed for numerous reasons. Foremost among them being the lack of a heart, and second to that, the lack of fibrillation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: misread

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bad Munki posted:

Well yes, they tried, but obviously it failed for numerous reasons. Foremost among them being the lack of a heart, and second to that, the lack of fibrillation.

The other thing that caused it to fail is that the meat is apparently already shocked as part of the butchering process. The fresh fish he tries later on does flex in response to the defibrillator.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0DttCJFWig

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bad Munki posted:

Next thing you're gonna tell me is they did surgery on a grape.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

So Elon Musk built Black Mesa?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FuturePastNow posted:

Volcanic lightning is a hell of a thing:

haven't thought of it this way, but isn't a volcano essentially a charged particle beam

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the particles aren't charged when they come out, but rather gain their charge from friction as they travel through the air. i believe.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://i.imgur.com/EhqMsh2.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/3qWyeM2.gifv

For anyone who uses TikTok, the sound on the second one has some incredible stuff.
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMe7mFC23/

Woozie66 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Woozie66 posted:

https://i.imgur.com/EhqMsh2.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/3qWyeM2.gifv

For anyone who uses TikTok, the sound on the second one has some incredible stuff.
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMe7mFC23/

lmbo