Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Koskinator posted:

My understanding is he has some kind of motor or nerve disorder, and uses software that lets him play hearthstone using his eyes.

My anger has subsided ........for now 😈

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Just had a game where I played both of all of my spring waters, arcane intellects, and cram sessions in a single turn, all while having played 2 incanters flows previously. (and so had full mana after all that BS). No spell power on board, but still, 0 mana draw 10 (and reduce each drawn card by 2).

Yeah, I guess I get why Mage can be frustrating to play against.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Shockeh posted:

Yeah, I'm done until expansion.

We have two Classes, one of them (Paladin) is just flat better than everything else, and the other (Mage) is just basically saying 'While you play Hearthstone, I'm playing a side Pachinko and sometimes it says I win'. They're both poo poo to play against, for different reasons. One is an uphill slog vs just better cards, and the other feels like it doesn't really matter who did what, because occasionally it'll hand out a win for funsies by Discover or Lunacy or whatever.

I know to some extent That's Hearthstone, but it's fuckin' silly right now.

I feel the same and it's just boring. I think I'm switching to wild full time until the mini expansion as well because there's at least more variety. I play paladin in standard which I know is the problem but it's the only deck I have all the cards for. Even then it's just mirrors as far as the eye can see.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

GTO posted:

I remember reading a good tip from a top player a while back about this. They were highlighting the opposite of 'playing around' what an opponent might have, which is 'make them have the card' ie you might try to play conservatively and avoid putting minions on the board in case they have a hysteria, the flipside is could you drop a board that isn't all in for you but that makes them answer it and they lose if they have the wrong cards in hand - as every turn gives them more of a chance to draw or generate the right cards.

I guess it's closely tied into the concept of knowing who is the aggressor in a given match up or game.

Echoing this sentiment. "Make them have it" is a great general rule and can get you far.

Unfortunately, the days of Classic HS are long gone where this could be applied universally, and things like Hysteria for example are so crushing that you do have to consider middle ground compromises. Thank goodness it was nerfed to 4 mana and now feels equivalent to playing vs Consecration or Equality/Pyro, but anyways.

So the nuance is "Make them have it, but don't LET them have it (especially on curve, but maybe one turn later ok let them have it and figure out how you are going to respond if they do)".

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

More than anything, I'm sad that Duels is currently degenerating into whether you can get good Tether Priest or Bomb Warrior. I can never push hard enough with any other build to get through the respective pinging/armor.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

GTO posted:

I remember reading a good tip from a top player a while back about this. They were highlighting the opposite of 'playing around' what an opponent might have, which is 'make them have the card' ie you might try to play conservatively and avoid putting minions on the board in case they have a hysteria, the flipside is could you drop a board that isn't all in for you but that makes them answer it and they lose if they have the wrong cards in hand - as every turn gives them more of a chance to draw or generate the right cards.

I guess it's closely tied into the concept of knowing who is the aggressor in a given match up or game.

i've yet to play a priest who didn't have multiple board clears (soul mirror, samuro plus apotheosis combo, multiple hysterias, xyrella, etc.). didn't matter if it was drawn, already in hand, or generated through any one of their numerous options.

with priest, it seems to be not do they have it, but how many times do they have it?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

enki42 posted:

Just had a game where I played both of all of my spring waters, arcane intellects, and cram sessions in a single turn, all while having played 2 incanters flows previously. (and so had full mana after all that BS). No spell power on board, but still, 0 mana draw 10 (and reduce each drawn card by 2).

Yeah, I guess I get why Mage can be frustrating to play against.

Next time anyone ever wonders why people hate playing against Mage, I’m just going to link this video
https://youtube.com/watch?v=I2YEykiekUM

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Today in battlegrounds I learnt the glory that is Baron Rivendare, Kangor's Apprentice and Kaboom Bot to explode an enemy team in great succession. It finally clicked that so many deathrattles are summons so Baron feels like a natural upgrade from Khadgar.

Oh and I finally learnt that if someone picks George the Fallen? Pack an Unstable Ghoul. Ancient knowledge by now but it's so fun to discover how much depth is in this silly mode.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Next time anyone ever wonders why people hate playing against Mage, I’m just going to link this video

The video doesn't have close captioning enabled, so if I may, I can translate:

Everytime Kibler says "Mhh hmm" or "Yup", what he actually means is "Oh gently caress that guy. Holy poo poo how is this possible. I hate this game so much."

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Last King posted:

i've yet to play a priest who didn't have multiple board clears (soul mirror, samuro plus apotheosis combo, multiple hysterias, xyrella, etc.). didn't matter if it was drawn, already in hand, or generated through any one of their numerous options.

with priest, it seems to be not do they have it, but how many times do they have it?

Yes, depending on how much legs your deck has dictates how early you go - eg an aggro deck needs to demand an answer before all those options can come online or it will lose vs priest every time. A control deck needs (and would have) more board refill options. How long your deck can go dictates how much you need to pressure for an answer and draw out their options.

The priests skill as a player is partially about knowing what you're likely to play and prepping or holding back the counters for it.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

mcbexx posted:

Everytime Kibler says "Mhh hmm" or "Yup", what he actually means is "Oh gently caress that guy. Holy poo poo how is this possible. I hate this game so much."

That was phenomenal to watch. Subbed. Well played to Kibler for biting his tongue, I know if I saw that amount of utter BS heading my way I wouldn't have been able to keep my cool!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The worst part is that wasn't even a total nut draw.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

mcbexx posted:

That is the closest thing I’ve seen to Kibler losing his cool. And to be perfectly honest, I would have punched a loving hole through my monitor so thats a pretty big win for him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

That is the closest thing I’ve seen to Kibler losing his cool. And to be perfectly honest, I would have punched a loving hole through my monitor so thats a pretty big win for him.
There's always this old classic:

https://clips.twitch.tv/DeliciousNeighborlyDurianGingerPower

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I KNEW this was the quest rogue bit before even clicking the link. Only time I had seen him mad.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Finally found a deck I don't mind playing that is actually good. Played 34 games with Token Druid and currently have a 80% win rate. Took me from Gold 10 to Plat 6 with 27 wins and 7 losses.

I think some decks just suit my mind/play better. I really struggled getting a handle on that poison rogue deck, I was basically treading water, same with a priest deck I copied from someone in this thread. This Druid one just clicked.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Was playing against a priest in casual to get the frost spell quest done and after fifteen minutes I just asked myself, why am I doing this?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mcbexx posted:

Lol he's like the Buddha. Incredible.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

In other accomplishment news, I finally managed to do something that I've never done before: collect and entire expansion (normal set via packs) completely Free-2-Play

This was done thanks to the increased gold earnings from the first Rewards track, the multitude of nerfs, and winning packs from MTQs. In other words, no grinding ranked ladder, no grinding Arena, and even extra dust to spare.

This was going to be my proudest accomplishment in the game (until the MT thing), as it is goal I was attempting back in 2014-15 through infinite Arena but never quite got there.

So there you go, I can officially confirm the game is not Pay-2-Win, but Pay-2-Win-Faster. And I fully expect any or all parts of this strategy to be nerfed by next expansion to prevent me from doing it ever again.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 25, 2021

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

mcbexx posted:

He says those in response to what people play in every video - read into that what you will :)

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

So there you go, I can officially confirm the game is not Pay-2-Win, but Pay-2-Win-Faster. And I fully expect any or all parts of this strategy to be nerfed by next expansion to prevent me from doing it ever again.

What part of this is "strategy"? How many packs did you (approximately) open?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Boatswain posted:

To get all the Epics from packs you'd need to open 250 packs (50 Epics, on average 1 per 5 packs), if you open 260 packs you'd be able to safely disenchant the 2 golden ones you'd be likely to get. In that time you'd open an average 13 Legendaries and get a little over 12k dust in commons/rares to dust (including goldens) and the golden epics. That would allow you to craft 8 additional Legendaries. Added to that the free ones you get from the tavern pass (x3), and Voljin which everyone got would get you the whole set. However with Kargath getting a full dust refund, and other cards getting nerfed as well giving bonus dust, you could probably knock off a significant amount of packs to complete the set (as you only need to have owned the card at point to get the achievement, not have it in your collection). Somewhere between 220-240 packs should definitely have got you the whole set without any shenanigans needed.

There are factors too, like being able to disenchant Bru'kan once you have the full set as you get a diamond version, and potentially disenchanting other Epics/Legendaries (including any golden ones) you could probably ping the achievement with well under 200 packs opened and using no previously accrued resources, if that was the only goal.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I see.

Is HS Replay premium able to tell you the WR of unusual cards at various ranks? I'm thinking of Broom/Scorpid in Miracle Rogue for instance (replacing Cult Neophyte and Augmerchants).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Boatswain posted:

Flayer outlined the pack logistics well, and in addition it's just strategy with my time. Grinding for 8+ hours/day is not an option for me, so I've always wanted to see how far F2P could be pushed in a more reasonable way.

I'm also implying that the rewards for MTQs and the Rewards Track might be too lucrative, and so glass half empty would not surprise me to see them pull it back somehow.

I can check my pack tracker later if you're interested in the exact number of packs.

Also yes to your HS Replay question.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

the Rewards Track might be too lucrative

DON'T PUT THAT EVIL ON US

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Coming back to the game after not playing for years, the rewards track is great. I don't even mind spending money on the game and I've bought a couple shop deals, but I want to feel like I'm making SOME progress towards a collection while playing, and the old system barely felt like I was chipping away at it. Between that and duplicate protection it feels like Hearthstone has gone from a pretty miserable monetization model to a mostly reasonable one.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Man, this season has got more and more disappointing as it's gone on. I know this thread enjoys dunking on Priest for some reason, but let me tell you something: it's equally as frustrating being on the other side. Blizzard just loving hates giving Priest a true gamewinning card or combo, the class hasn't had one in... a year? Maybe more? The only way to really win right now is to grind out the game and hope you generate the right poo poo to withstand the opponent's entire deck, because as the Priest you're not going to be able to be proactive. EVER. The best you can hope is to shove in one of the old gods, but without fail they're all super loving slow and force you to play pretty lovely cards through the midgame. I don't want to play out every game through fatigue, but I don't have a choice - and at least in upper-half Diamond I end up losing once I get that far more often than not anyway, just because people are playing extremely greedy poo poo yet somehow also not dying to Paladin because of it :iiam:.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Flayer outlined the pack logistics well, and in addition it's just strategy with my time. Grinding for 8+ hours/day is not an option for me, so I've always wanted to see how far F2P could be pushed in a more reasonable way.

I'm also implying that the rewards for MTQs and the Rewards Track might be too lucrative, and so glass half empty would not surprise me to see them pull it back somehow.

I can check my pack tracker later if you're interested in the exact number of packs.

Also yes to your HS Replay question.

Cheers! Also congratulations on the MTQ.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
The VS podcast from Saturday talks about someone winning a MTQ with a weirdo DH list...

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Strawberry Panda posted:

Was playing against a priest in casual to get the frost spell quest done and after fifteen minutes I just asked myself, why am I doing this?

did that + worked on frenzy/battlecry minion quests as mage in this week's brawl and it was actually kinda fun. If you don't get a freeze/battlecry/frenzy option take whatever discovery option you can, no matter how sub-optimal the play is. I had one entirely bullshit highroll game where I made a lovely choice like 4 times including mostly wiping my own board and playing the "give opponent two turns then take two turns" card and still erased the dude. felt kinda bad but not bad v:shobon:v

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

DON'T PUT THAT EVIL ON US

real :tinfoil: talk, if Blizz does any sort of player metrics analysis I am positive my account stands out like a shining beacon of where to draw the line with free stuff. For example I'm certain my account data contributed to the early Arena systems adjustments (from 9 wins to 12 and worse rewards), and I'm almost positive they track me for top ladder finish from an account that has spent $0.

So apologies in advance!

fanny packrat posted:

The VS podcast from Saturday talks about someone winning a MTQ with a weirdo DH list...

I'll have to listen again, but I'm almost positive they are talking about the Deathrattle Midrange build, paired with Spell Mage and Poison Rogue for a strong target-Priest lineup.

edit: close, they were referring to the prior week when an OTK DH with deathrattle draw engine won, that build has been around for a while but it's a bit too dank and jank for me

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 26, 2021

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

AnacondaHL posted:

I'll have to listen again, but I'm almost positive they are talking about the Deathrattle Midrange build, paired with Spell Mage and Poison Rogue for a strong target-Priest lineup.

Entirely possible. I listen while I'm at the gym so I kind tune in and out missing context.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Re: the f2p stuff - gold is still best spent on Arena/Duels right? Think I just have to grind my tiny amount out on Saturdays when I can face 9-yos instead of mid-week grinders

Is the 15-20% exp boost worth the $20 Tavern Pass?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

idiotsavant posted:

Re: the f2p stuff - gold is still best spent on Arena/Duels right? Think I just have to grind my tiny amount out on Saturdays when I can face 9-yos instead of mid-week grinders

Is the 15-20% exp boost worth the $20 Tavern Pass?

With one exception! Gold is best spent on minisets now; for 2000g you get great value, and the next one should be releasing soon.

Otherwise yes, your choice of Arena/Duels is fine given the usual qualifiers.

It's a bit late to get now, but for next time: if by August you make it past Level 200 in this Rewards Track then you would have made your $20 back in raw gold.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Just had an insane game with golden Hoggarr, Flat Tusk and Amaggan which later turned into this:

I didn't know what the hell I was doing but it somehow worked out in the end.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Boatswain posted:

I see.

Is HS Replay premium able to tell you the WR of unusual cards at various ranks? I'm thinking of Broom/Scorpid in Miracle Rogue for instance (replacing Cult Neophyte and Augmerchants).

Two Methods:

the Cards section, class Rogue, then search for your card
https://hsreplay.net/cards/#playerClass=ROGUE&sortBy=includedWinrate

or the Decks section, select class Rogue, then include the cards you want, for example
https://hsreplay.net/decks/#playerClasses=ROGUE&includedCards=59029%2C62486

Premium gives you plat/legend/top1k data

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Flayer posted:

Somewhere between 220-240 packs should definitely have got you the whole set without any shenanigans needed.

Pretty close!

I opened 212 packs of Forged in the Barrens, for 17 Legendaries opened. Given that Mankrik + Voljin + 2 Legendaries were free, I only spent dust crafting 4 Legendaries, which was easily covered by nerf dust, let a lone excess gold cards.

114 packs on opening day, just using gold from the previous rewards track
79 packs (+19 unopened) from MTQs
10 packs from 2 months of Legend rewards
and the rest from Drops or the free Arena tickets on the track.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Turn 5 Lightfang still pretty good.

Turn 3 roll was 3 of the sell-for-3-gold pirate so I stalled for a couple of turns to level to 4 and greed the triple. Other choices were Noz and the windfury pirate. Once I stabilized on turn 8 I never faced any serious threat. I realized I'd won outright when with 3 players left my bye-bye emote to the player I was KO'ing didn't take, meaning 3rd place was killed by the ghost.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

It's time ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

BY MY BEARD!

Magni has long been my favourite Warrior portrait.