Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

trucutru posted:

I give him major props for that. Nerds tend to forget or are incapable of sliding in their dog-whistles gracefully when they do their stuff and this guy is a pro. I don't even have to read reddit to know they are going to love the video because it's "fair and balanced".

quote:

Very well balanced and enjoyable video, about the game. :) Well done by Linus Media Group! :D

quote:

I love how brutally honest they are about the hate group the game has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:confused:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Deskeletonized posted:

See, this kind of bitter cynicism I just can't agree with 100%, and I say that as a very bitter cynic. Scams are fascinating; general audiences get interested in all sorts of random grifts once they get large enough. I mean, look at Fyre Festival or Theranos or various MLMs or Stratton Oakmont or Qanon: once the numbers get big enough, they become interesting to all sorts of people and start drawing all kinds of unwanted attention.

I'm game literate but hardly a gamer. I got interested in Star Citizen not because it's a game, but because it is a massive, convoluted, and hilarious complex of bizarre and surreal things overlaid on a stunningly successful grift. The game itself is irrelevant. A basic understanding of what a game is and what it should be is sort of required to get how and why it is a scam, yeah, but that's way more accessible to a general audience than understanding, say, the biochemistry of blood testing or the inside baseball of how the stock market works or whatever. I really believe that once the number gets big enough a general audience will care, or could be made to care.

I acknowledge the point but I'm going to dig deeper into this position based on the following: the general public (the great unwashed, as it were) are hard-coded to plug into anything they want if they can use it to solidify a political opinion, signal to their tribe, stroke their own ego, etc. Blood tests, the stock market, pro sports, etc. even though there are very few actual experts on those things, everyone wants to throw in their two cents as if they are experts. People will toss in opinions about things far more complex and esoteric than even those, there is no shortage of confident opinions about battles for which they have no tactical data, diseases for which they have no scientific metrics, corporate practices for companies they've never even heard of. Sit in a barber shop chair for 15 minutes and you'll have the "solutions" to every existing global problem.

Except gaming. It doesn't matter if it's 2021 and gaming revenue has eclipsed several other forms of entertainment media combined - there is still a thick membrane between gaming and non-gaming. In fact, the "oh I don't know anything about gaming" crowd actually derives some sort of pleasure from declaring their ignorance, as if knowing nothing about a topic is as important to communicate, if not more, than knowing something. Perhaps it's because I'm older, but about 80% of the people in my age group not only don't give a poo poo, but actively stop listening if that's the topic. The only exception is when the media decides to do another piece on gaming and violence, which politicizes it, and that's when they suddenly become PhD experts on a topic they aggressively denied knowing anything about 10 minutes earlier, and will reflexively reassert their ignorance of 10 minutes later.

In a couple decades I'd be more inclined to agree with your assessment, which should actually work out great, since the scam will still be trucking along by then.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

Fleet 42: Rise of the Occulatum
Episode One Prelude: In Sanguis Veritas

How do you say "Come pledge my lord" in Latin?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

I work for Microsoft.

Wow, I had almost forgotten about this dude. Good to see he's still fighting the good fight.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sarsapariller posted:

They're gamedad collectors and this is their collection: rare internet spaceship jpegs. If it wasn't this it'd be stamps or warhams or anime busts or something. The sad thing is that they don't seem to grasp that they don't actually own the jpegs, and ten years from now after Star Citizen is dead and buried they won't even have a box full of garbage to irritate their kids with.

CIG knows what they are and the entire purpose of the enforced rarity at this point is to maintain the collectible atmosphere. I'm kind of surprised they have not done more web stuff like letting people attach their fleets to their posts or giving them achievements for having all the ships of a certain manufacturer etc.

Oh, deep down they know this.

It’s why they keep spending, why they white knight the game whenever they can.

Because they know that if they stopped spending this whole house of cards would collapse and they’d be left with nothing.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Scruffpuff posted:

I acknowledge the point but I'm going to dig deeper into this position based on the following: the general public (the great unwashed, as it were) are hard-coded to plug into anything they want if they can use it to solidify a political opinion, signal to their tribe, stroke their own ego, etc. Blood tests, the stock market, pro sports, etc. even though there are very few actual experts on those things, everyone wants to throw in their two cents as if they are experts. People will toss in opinions about things far more complex and esoteric than even those, there is no shortage of confident opinions about battles for which they have no tactical data, diseases for which they have no scientific metrics, corporate practices for companies they've never even heard of. Sit in a barber shop chair for 15 minutes and you'll have the "solutions" to every existing global problem.

Except gaming. It doesn't matter if it's 2021 and gaming revenue has eclipsed several other forms of entertainment media combined - there is still a thick membrane between gaming and non-gaming. In fact, the "oh I don't know anything about gaming" crowd actually derives some sort of pleasure from declaring their ignorance, as if knowing nothing about a topic is as important to communicate, if not more, than knowing something. Perhaps it's because I'm older, but about 80% of the people in my age group not only don't give a poo poo, but actively stop listening if that's the topic. The only exception is when the media decides to do another piece on gaming and violence, which politicizes it, and that's when they suddenly become PhD experts on a topic they aggressively denied knowing anything about 10 minutes earlier, and will reflexively reassert their ignorance of 10 minutes later.

In a couple decades I'd be more inclined to agree with your assessment, which should actually work out great, since the scam will still be trucking along by then.

I don't inherently disagree. I just know that the one of the things that the great unwashed like to latch onto is scandalous, ill-gotten wealth. There will come a point where the funding attached to this project will make eyebrows raise and tongues wag. I don't know how big the number has to be to penetrate that membrane between gaming and non-gaming, but I do know that it is there, and the longer the grift keeps grifting the more inevitable it'll be that non-gamers will start caring.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Deskeletonized posted:

I don't inherently disagree. I just know that the one of the things that the great unwashed like to latch onto is scandalous, ill-gotten wealth. There will come a point where the funding attached to this project will make eyebrows raise and tongues wag. I don't know how big the number has to be to penetrate that membrane between gaming and non-gaming, but I do know that it is there, and the longer the grift keeps grifting the more inevitable it'll be that non-gamers will start caring.

The number is 1 billion. People love the "b". That and some kind of TV show on one platform or another, I think a Spinal Tap style mockumentary would be perfect. And they wouldn't have to write it - just act it out as it happened.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/6JeCMwn.mp4

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Azubah posted:

I lost any incentive to give the video any credit when they mentioned "hit piece" when the gaming press gave any sort of criticism of the game.

I thought the video, while not horrible, was exceedingly "fair" and even complimentary to Star Citizen, while glossing over a lot of the complaints and scandals and overselling what has been achieved. The whales will love it, let me tell you that much, because it speaks to their need to look like visionaries and gives tons of time to how incredible it "will" be when they finally introduce all this impossible stuff into the game.

For example, "GROUNDBREAKING TECHNOLOGY" my rectum, unless they mean literally breaking the ground in-game and falling into the core of the planet. Yeah they've thrown a whole lot of money at it and ended up with an incredibly buggy engine that probably won't ever be fixed, that doesn't make it groundbreaking. Especially if it, in the end, won't deliver almost everything they promised it would. Does anyone actually think there will ever be hundreds/thousands of worlds in this game that you can just up and visit, and a persistent universe of millions of players with seamless server melding between areas? Yeah, I kind doubt it. I just haven't seen any impressive technology. More like they've taken things things that work and made them not work in the interest of pointless and ultimately fatal complexity.

Bardeh posted:

This is insane, these people are loving insane.

:emptyquote:

That being said, I don't see the point of touching the poop and messing with these people in their forums. That's way too deep for me, I just want to watch and laugh as the whole thing crashes down in slow motion

Play fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 24, 2021

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

:emptyquote:

That being said, I don't see the point of touching the poop and messing with these people in their forums. That's way too deep for me, I just want to watch and laugh as the whole thing crashes down in slow motion

I don't think anyone in this thread is touching the poop anymore. It's more :effort: than it deserves to be completely honest.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

LostRook posted:

That's only 5000 fauX-wings. Chump change.

x-things

Prop Wash posted:

So they named a ship the M2 Hercules Starlifter? They couldn’t decide to rip off the nickname of the irl C-130 Hercules or the irl C-141 Starlifter so they just ripped off both of them and smashed them together? Fucks sake lol

lmao. classic

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Scruffpuff posted:

The number is 1 billion. People love the "b". That and some kind of TV show on one platform or another, I think a Spinal Tap style mockumentary would be perfect. And they wouldn't have to write it - just act it out as it happened.

I think that sounds good. And at the rate we're going, they'll get there. Can we cast Sandi as Chris Roberts in the mockumentary?

.random
May 7, 2007

Deskeletonized posted:

I think that sounds good. And at the rate we're going, they'll get there. Can we cast Sandi as Chris Roberts in the mockumentary?

But who would we get to play Young Sandi, childhood entrepreneur extraordinaire?

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

.random posted:

But who would we get to play Young Sandi, childhood entrepreneur extraordinaire?

Gary Oldman

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Hey it's Monday, what's new in Star Citizen?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Oh, deep down they know this.

It’s why they keep spending, why they white knight the game whenever they can.

Because they know that if they stopped spending this whole house of cards would collapse and they’d be left with nothing.

Not true!

Somebody will be all "give us the source code and we will finish your project!"

And at that point it will be dead and there will be nothing left.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mp5 posted:

There is an event going on where you can spend real money to buy ship JPEGs.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

mp5 posted:

Also the free fly is up, only download it if you hate yourself though :sweatdrop:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized that that youtube review about how SC can be the most incredibly game ever and so on didn't seem to mention that their somewhat more modest single player experience SQ42, which is not supposed to be the best game ever or require the matrix tech they are developing is also stuck in development hell. But I am sure the company that cannot finish a modern WC game will be able to develop the BDSSE.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

The Titanic posted:

Not true!

The new custodians looking directly into the source code of Star Citizen after CIG is done with it:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

William Bear posted:

The new custodians looking directly into the source code of Star Citizen after CIG is done with it:

"I'm a CryEngine expert and I can totally handle th- OH MY GOD!!"

Bonus points if you can find a comment, anywhere in the code that indicates Chris did anything at all anywhere.

Pretty sure that YouTube video where he hit some undo action was the only time he had to even pretend to be interested in using a computer not as a video conferencing device and acting like he was a code whisperer.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I wonder who came up with the narrative that Chris is doing on hands programming and is a master of physics refactoring.

Cause its the stupidest loving thing

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I wonder who came up with the narrative that Chris is doing on hands programming and is a master of physics refactoring.

Pretty sure that was Chris himself. But yeah idk if anyone actually believes that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Last King posted:

this is what really blows my mind... if you're gonna spend money on star citizen and go in with eyes wide open (not expecting anything) ok it's your $ but it seems like there are a lot of guys like this:

assuming what he's typed is true, given his experience / background you'd expect him to have some sort of common sense and fiscal responsibility but apparently all he's been doing is spending thousands of dollars year after year on this game. collecting ships. that's it. this is his dream. all he's been looking forward to :smith:

"I wouldn't say I'm rich" is the call of the rich man who isn't Jeff Bezos.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Q6qrzYw5I

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

See, I can believe that or Wing Commander up to a point. After that? No way

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020
So, has there been a successful release with Amazon Lumberyard yet?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

The Titanic posted:

Not true!

Nothing? I suspect the true believers will have their dreams forever. Years later they will have fully mythologized Star Citizen and will bring it up endlessly as an example of how perfect a game could be, if we did not live upon this fallen world that despises and destroys all that is good. They'll happily recount stories about how it was cruelly snuffed out just when everything was coming together, and how anything praiseworthy in a modern game is obviously a hidden homage to the groundbreaking work done by Star Citizen. The money they spent on their fleets will be mentioned as a badge of honor, signifying that they were philanthropic visionaries who knew a good thing when they saw it, unlike the great unwashed who wanted only bad games.

And only the people who paid attention to Star Citizen will know how truly crazy those people are. Everyone else will just dismiss them as garden-variety assholes.

.random
May 7, 2007

Though I choose to believe the “written by” credit for that game is specifically in reference to the story, which - as you can tell from the first couple minutes of gameplay - is rich in lore and steeped in history.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dejapes posted:

So, has there been a successful release with Amazon Lumberyard yet?

It's a match between The Grand Tour and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5GGQl6scIg&t=78s

So Coffence wins.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I was wondering what the hell people were talking about with 'Lumberyard'. What a strange name. Stranger service though, if you can call it that (judging by that game list lol).

I know Amazon is producing an MMO where you literally have to pay for the convenience of fast travel so Star Citizen seems right up its alley

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

trucutru posted:

It's a match between The Grand Tour and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5GGQl6scIg&t=78s

So Coffence wins.

After seeing the thrilling gameplay that is Coffence, I can now say that all the Amazon riches and effort that has gone into Lumberyard has been vindicated.

( The deep-shaded comic insert of a determined dog face above the word 'Parried!' made it all worth it. )

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

The fun thing is, the same model as the Star Citizen “no-ships” (with my apologies to the estate of Frank Herbert) works for entire industries. I don’t know if any of you is into mechanical watches. You know, those writ things that have been kinda obsolete for fifty years, and utterly obsolete since the advent of the smartphone. A wristwatch is about as useful as an SC jpg.
The industry is booming, because it sells validation to an anxious middle class.
As an extreme example, take the wrist Idris, the Patel Philippe 5711 Nautilus: it’s a kinda pretty steel watch that is not really good in any particular respect. It retails for around 30 grand. Getting one at that price is utterly impossible. You’re lucky if you can get one under 100k. They recently introduced a limited version. The only difference is that it’s green. We’re talking about a quarter of a million for that.
On a smaller scale, I understand the same thing is going on with sports shoes. They’re produced for a few cents in China, they retail for hundreds and are resold for a multiple of that. And more often than not, they are used as much as the Star Citizen ships.
I’d love to see the take of a gifted social diagnostician like Veblen on this.

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020
https://www.amazongames.com/en-us/s...H3RghqKo988Cl14

Even the 'Grand Tour' has been removed from storefronts. The fact that even the pre-order content is "expiring" seems to be just a gratuitous 'f u' to the people who actually bought the game.

Lumberyard has just been one long string of successes.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hey SC is actually trending on the gaming subreddit in a positive way for once: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/nk1utg/the_perfect_landing_doesnt_exi

It's a legitimately neat looking video, to it's credit. It'll probably trick a number of people into thinking there's more to the game than pretty flight gifs.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hey SC is actually trending on the gaming subreddit in a positive way for once: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/nk1utg/the_perfect_landing_doesnt_exi

It's a legitimately neat looking video, to it's credit. It'll probably trick a number of people into thinking there's more to the game than pretty flight gifs.

the comments are all dragging SC pretty hard actually lol

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Trilobite posted:

Nothing? I suspect the true believers will have their dreams forever. Years later they will have fully mythologized Star Citizen and will bring it up endlessly as an example of how perfect a game could be, if we did not live upon this fallen world that despises and destroys all that is good. They'll happily recount stories about how it was cruelly snuffed out just when everything was coming together, and how anything praiseworthy in a modern game is obviously a hidden homage to the groundbreaking work done by Star Citizen. The money they spent on their fleets will be mentioned as a badge of honor, signifying that they were philanthropic visionaries who knew a good thing when they saw it, unlike the great unwashed who wanted only bad games.

And only the people who paid attention to Star Citizen will know how truly crazy those people are. Everyone else will just dismiss them as garden-variety assholes.

I wouldn't mind seeing how people are role playing this stuff, because I figured that's the only thing keeping it alive at this point. The game itself is junk... but I imagine there's the out-of-game role players. But I don't know and nobody ever tapped into that facet here so maybe it doesn't exist?

I guess I'm trying to justify to myself the price of $3000 for a dumbass video game space ship, and a world where people have spent more money than I have on my house on it.

If the video game is junk... there must be something else that is keeping people interested.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Popete posted:

Pretty sure that was Chris himself. But yeah idk if anyone actually believes that.

iirc Sandi 'Pusher' Gardiner was the one pushing this narrative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

The Titanic posted:

If the video game is junk... there must be something else that is keeping people interested.
sunk cost fallacy and probably also some other fallacies or mental defects like poor impulse control