Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Saint Freak posted:

You must be excited about the return of Weiss the Immaculate.

dirge of cerberus is my SECOND favorite final fantasy game :eng101: (and yes i legitimately lost my mind at that reveal)

my actual favorite is FFTA, and I have gotten yelled at for loving FFTA while finding original Tactics not as compelling, so make of that what you will :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

and chaotic is the alignment of 'i do what i want'

No it’s not, ugh, what source books have you been reading

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
D&D alignments are just the political compass with different names imo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looper posted:

preemptively putting in a request for next month's chat thread to be named for sonic, in honor of his 30th birthday

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Simone Magus posted:

Now let's talk about how hosed up it is that most of D&D didn't allow nonhumans to be clerics

Like that's just... that's hosed up

There's a lot of hosed up stuff in tabletop (product of the time) but I'm at least real happy to see the community and industry seem to be really maturing.

D&D is revising its concepts of race, lots of new systems don't have racial stats at all. Racist sourcebooks are commented on and left behind to be replaced with new, inclusive settings. Lovecraftian roleplaying books that open by making it clear he's a racist shithead and you really shouldn't be even if you roleplay in a lovecraftian horror, etc.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Having Intelligence be a stat was always dangerous

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
let mazzy be a paladin

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

If theres one thing I need more of in my tabletop roleplaying games its phrenology

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I also like how modern systems like pbta or blades in the dark don't even have physical stats as such

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

D&D alignments are just the political compass with different names imo

D&D alignments somehow manage to be even worse than the political compass

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is like Harry Potter house levels of bad.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here are my d&d stats (10 is the human average btw’)

Strength: 16, earlier today I moved my bed to clean the floor beneath it, and it wasn’t too difficult
Dexterity: 16, I have never cut myself chopping vegetables
Constitution: 18, no history of hereditary diseases in my family
Intelligence: 18, I know most of the Pokémon type match-ups
Wisdom: 16, I’ve been known to offer solid relationship advice
Charisma: 18, I’m a beloved poster on certain Internet forums

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I think the first time I heard of D&D alignments back in the 90's was a writeup of how each alignment would handle the distribution of water to survivors of a wreck in a lifeboat. It was a really smart and effective description, or at least it was to 10-year-old-me.

I have been wracking my brains for the last decade or so trying to figure out where I read that.

Also this has been my cell phone wallpaper for years now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

This is like Harry Potter house levels of bad.

What D&D alignment are the harry potter houses?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

I mean, Griffindor is obviously Lawful Stupid, and Slytherin obviously Lawful Evil,

The hard ones are Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. I'd say True Neutral for Ravenclaw, and maybe Neutral Good for Hufflepuff?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I also like how modern systems like pbta or blades in the dark don't even have physical stats as such

I think Blades in the Dark is maybe my favorite roleplaying system I've ever read/run. It's very specific to the kind of game it's made to run, but it's exceptionally good at it, and the way it balances risk vs. reward mechanics is great. The flashback system is brilliant, too. It's such an elegant way to prevent players spending 3 hours planning for every session while also encouraging the "aha, you thought I was in trouble but I planned for this!" heist movie moments that are always a blast.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Andrast posted:

JK Rowling is lawful evil
Harry is neutral evil
Ron is chaotic evil
Hermione is also lawful evil

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the dumbest thing about D&D alignment is that they don't account for Original sin. All humans are born Chaotic Evil and only through a ritual requiring 2 edible material components will the blood of christ can your alignment shift.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Harrow posted:

I think Blades in the Dark is maybe my favorite roleplaying system I've ever read/run. It's very specific to the kind of game it's made to run, but it's exceptionally good at it, and the way it balances risk vs. reward mechanics is great. The flashback system is brilliant, too. It's such an elegant way to prevent players spending 3 hours planning for every session while also encouraging the "aha, you thought I was in trouble but I planned for this!" heist movie moments that are always a blast.

yeah bitd is really good. friends wanted me to run 5e after we did some bitd and it's just so boring and sloggy in comparison

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah, since I first ran a game of Blades I've started houseruleing a lot of the same flow into other systems.

I ran a game of White Wolf D10 Mage and am now DMing a game of Dungeon World and in both of them I've allowed the players a certain amount of "flashback" moments.

Otherwise your party can easily spend an entire hour just arguing about how to approach a castle and then it ends up based on a dice roll it doesn't even go according to the plan! Sometimes those plan haggling moments can make for good roleplaying, but a lot of times it just drags.

Scum and Villainy is good too, its just Blades in Space.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Khanstant posted:

the dumbest thing about D&D alignment is that they don't account for Original sin. All humans are born Chaotic Evil and only through a ritual requiring 2 edible material components will the blood of christ can your alignment shift.

This reminds me of the time in college I was playing White Wolf's Scion system (you play as children of the gods ala Hercules) and one player proposed playing a son of Christ. :stonk:

E: Quite literally "I have the power of God and Anime on my side!"

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

I’m a beloved poster on certain Internet forums

Which ones?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

wuggles posted:

Which ones?

:iceburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACJJMiID5AI

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I vastly prefer the rigid rules of systems like DnD over more roleplay-based systems like PBTA. Listening to podcasts that use the latter systems tend to feel like the party can get away with anything. Having a strict list of things you can do emulates the video game feel where you're solving puzzles with the tools you have available, so a clever solution feels even more clever.

Speaking of which, I just played Magical Diary: Wolf Hall, and I absolutely love the exams in that game and in Horse Hall. It's like a trainer game where each week you study five schools of magic and you learn specific spells from each, and then the exams are like dungeon-crawling puzzle segments you have to solve using the spells. So, the first one is very easy - there's two exits and you have to get through one of them. The first is a trapdoor with a hidden button on the floor, the second is by climbing out of a skylight. The button is hidden, so you won't be able to find it without some help. You can cast "Breeze," which will tell you that there's air flowing through one of the walls, helping you identify that it's a secret door. You could just cast "Activate," which will trigger any buttons in an AoE, or you could do the slow method and cast "Inspection" on all nearby surfaces. If you have white magic, you can cast "Sense Spirit" which will reveal a nearby sprite which will sink into the floor and show you the button. To climb out, you need the red magic skill "Energize" to give yourself the strength to jump up to the skylight. Or, if you have green magic, you could notice the vines hanging down from the skylight, and use "Healing" to make them strong enough for you to climb.

Great little puzzle-solving segments

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mix. posted:

dirge of cerberus is my SECOND favorite final fantasy game :eng101: (and yes i legitimately lost my mind at that reveal)

my actual favorite is FFTA, and I have gotten yelled at for loving FFTA while finding original Tactics not as compelling, so make of that what you will :shrug:

drat, took a shot in the dark and almost had it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I vastly prefer the rigid rules of systems like DnD over more roleplay-based systems like PBTA. Listening to podcasts that use the latter systems tend to feel like the party can get away with anything. Having a strict list of things you can do emulates the video game feel where you're solving puzzles with the tools you have available, so a clever solution feels even more clever.

Its a question of what you want from roleplaying. On the other hand, I often find that I have a really strong concept for a cool story beat that I'd like to roleplay, but the rules say I need to be 3 levels higher to be able to do the thing, even though it wouldn't be crazy OP or anything. The flexibility of things like PBTA basically lets the party engage in a shared storytelling.

Its not meant to be gamey. So yeah, there's like two fundamentally different styles of tabletop, D&D is firmly in the tactical chess camp, where things like PBTA are on the writing and roleplaying side.

E: Also the problem with the deep gamey rules of D&D is if your whole party isn't on the same skill level, it'll be lopsided. One guy spends time planning a synergistic build for their character, and everybody else doesn't look at their character sheets between sessions, there's going to be a massive power imbalance.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 24, 2021

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

wuggles posted:

Which ones?

You wouldn’t have heard of them, they’re pretty highbrow

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Let’s just say there’s a reason I‘m always the one who‘s breaking the hottest Seinfeld (1989-1998) news here

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What's the latest in seinfeld

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Netflix is set to gain exclusive streaming rights in June 2021 and broadcast the show in 4K for the first time.[4]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
thanks seinfeld ghost

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

This reminds me of the time in college I was playing White Wolf

Were you listening to a lot of She Wants Revenge? :j:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Blades in the Dark is honestly worth a look even then. Blades is pretty heavily rules-driven. While it's still more narrative than something like D&D, it has pretty defined rules about how player actions work, what the results of the dice rolls mean, and guiding how the GM plays out outcomes, that kind of thing. It's a game that looks rules-light at first glance but is actually pretty strongly defined. It doesn't have grid-based combat, but it's also not really a system about combat (it's about heists and crime instead).

Something I find interesting about the better PbtA systems, meanwhile, is that while players are playing a pretty rules-light game, the GM has a ton of rules to follow. Playing with the rules as written, the GM is actually pretty tightly bound by the game's rules and has very specific moves they can make in response to player actions. It serves as a great guide rail for new GMs (and helps train up GMing skills that are useful in other systems) and also prevents the GM from being arbitrary. It's by no means a rigidly rule-based system like what you're looking for so this isn't a recommendation to play it yourself, but just something I think is really interesting about those systems.

Zaphod42 posted:

Scum and Villainy is good too, its just Blades in Space.

Have you checked out any of the Shadowrun hacks? I haven't played any myself yet but it seems like the Blades system would be perfect for a less-complex game in the Shadowrun setting.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jay Rust posted:

Netflix is set to gain exclusive streaming rights in June 2021 and broadcast the show in 4K for the first time.[4]

Excited for the "The Shining" analysis that comes from this new fidelity where we can see the titles of all the books in Jerry's apartment

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I have started up ff14 as a little person arcanist and i hope to have a good time

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Hey we’ve ranked the residents evil already today, let’s do final fantasies now

Parasite Eve

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I have started up ff14 as a little person arcanist and i hope to have a good time

They're called potatoes, show some respect.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sonic June and Sonic Boom sound kinda similar, someone can make that work I think

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

stev posted:

They're called potatoes, show some respect.

they're called popotoes, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

Parasite Eve

Finally beat Parasite Eve 2 last year that game rules if you want a cool RE-style survival horror game