Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zero VGS posted:

I've been at it for hours lol please shoot me in the head Mr. Linux

Have you tried Fedora or openSUSE or another distro that was put together by competent people, rather than the trainwreck that is Ubuntu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Zero VGS posted:

This is dumb as gently caress, the install USB each time will randomly:

- crash during all the scrolling text nonsense

- go into an infinite loop during all the scrolling text nonsense

- fails to ask me to log in to wifi half of the time, so it doesn't download additional drivers and can't proceed, no way to manually have the install connect to wifi, just has to hope it notices that it is there

- won't let me install alongside Windows because it thinks there's no open partition

- says it is already installed when it isn't, won't reinstall because of some poo poo about mountpoints

- has sound during the installer, but if I launch Ubuntu off the USB then it has no sound

I've been at it for hours lol please shoot me in the head Mr. Linux

If you're actually looking for help you might try Fedora or Debian testing? Ubuntu has fallen from grace and it's a bit poo poo tbh.

You'll need to be careful you don't nuke your windows partition though because it sounds like you don't know what you're doing and potentially got them into a bad state (because of: Ubuntu).

GRUB is a bootloader and handles reading disks and then booting an OS from one, it supports Windows and Linux. You can technically tell it what to do from the boot menu but it's very arcane and normally it gets built automatically for you, auto detecting partitions, what's on them and presenting them in convenient list form right after the POST. Sounds like maybe the auto detecting was hosed during install for whatever reason and your config file is malformed?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Ubuntu does the one thing I need it to do when I run it from the USB, which is to let me download Moonlight Streaming from their app store and launch it. If there's another distro that can be as good or better about that (with regards to latency, drivers, and not melting my lap like the Windows implementation does) then I'm all ears. What about this Clear Linux? Seems Intel manages it, so maybe it'll perform the best on an Intel laptop running a single application?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt/releases/download/v3.1.3/Moonlight-3.1.3-x86_64.AppImage

AppImage will run on every Linux distro, you just double click it or call it from the CLI and it's works. You'll need to manually keep track of updates though (e.g. download the new file and update scripts).

https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.moonlight_stream.Moonlight

Flatpaks will run on every distro, provided you install flatpak. Some (Fedora) include it by default others (Ubuntu) do not. Flatpak will handle updating it for you with a 'flatpak update' command.

https://flatpak.org/setup/

Neither solve your problem of hosed up bootloader.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zero VGS posted:

Ubuntu does the one thing I need it to do when I run it from the USB, which is to let me download Moonlight Streaming from their app store and launch it. If there's another distro that can be as good or better about that (with regards to latency, drivers, and not melting my lap like the Windows implementation does) then I'm all ears. What about this Clear Linux? Seems Intel manages it, so maybe it'll perform the best on an Intel laptop running a single application?

no. if you want a serious distro use OpenSUSE(if you want something nice and german) or Fedora(if you want something backed by a major company: IBM)

Sorry, you didn't come in acting like you wanted help you just came in humorously bitching about linux, and there is plenty to bitch about, particularly if you use Ubuntu. If you want, I can probably dig up the infamous screed about why you should never ever use Ubuntu

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

RFC2324 posted:

If you want, I can probably dig up the infamous screed about why you should never ever use Ubuntu

Please, not sure I know what you're referring to.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

RFC2324 posted:

If you want, I can probably dig up the infamous screed about why you should never ever use Ubuntu

Please. I haven't followed OS news closely for many years and don't know anything about Ubuntu's fall from favor.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
NBSD’s post should be a background image for this thread.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

no. if you want a serious distro use OpenSUSE(if you want something nice and german) or Fedora(if you want something backed by a major company: IBM)

Sorry, you didn't come in acting like you wanted help you just came in humorously bitching about linux, and there is plenty to bitch about, particularly if you use Ubuntu. If you want, I can probably dig up the infamous screed about why you should never ever use Ubuntu

Do either of those have an option to install Linux with a dual-boot toggle? Ubuntu's promise of a dual-boot that actually works is what lured me over, alas.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Ubuntu lost favor for a lot of people for trying to hoover up Amazon search data through Unity. People also hate snaps.

Ubuntu isnt that bad though. Linux users like to be elitist. I use KDE Neon on ocassion and its alright.

EDIT: While not directly Ubuntu, but Ubuntu adjacent, there was also the Linux Mint repo being compromised, but I don't blame Ubuntu for that one.

Zero VGS posted:

Do either of those have an option to install Linux with a dual-boot toggle? Ubuntu's promise of a dual-boot that actually works is what lured me over, alas.

You should really take the time to learn what dual boot is, how it works, and how to install it correctly. I've used Ubuntu flavored distros for years and never once had an issue with dual or triple boot systems while one of those systems being some flavor of Ubuntu.

tjones fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 24, 2021

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

tjones posted:

Ubuntu lost favor for a lot of people for trying to hoover up Amazon search data through Unity. People also hate snaps.

Ubuntu isnt that bad though. Linux users like to be elitist. I use KDE Neon on ocassion and its alright.

You should really take the time to learn what dual boot is, how it works, and how to install it correctly. I've used Ubuntu flavored distros for years and never once had an issue with dual or triple boot systems while one of those systems being some flavor of Ubuntu.

I mean, the Ubuntu live USB had an uptime of nearly 2 months on my laptop without needing to reboot, I'm lucky to get a full day on Windows so that's already promising but I assume any other Linux distro can pull that off.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Zero VGS posted:

I don't know what that means but GRUB will usually auto detect a Windows partition and automatically include it, e.g. here is a guide for a slightly older version of Fedora. https://www.fosslinux.com/842/how-to-install-fedora-in-a-dual-boot-setup-with-windows.htm

Edit: I think most of whatever you've read about Ubuntu is probably applicable to any modern Linux distribution.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 24, 2021

tjones
May 13, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I mean, the Ubuntu live USB had an uptime of nearly 2 months on my laptop without needing to reboot, I'm lucky to get a full day on Windows so that's already promising but I assume any other Linux distro can pull that off.

It would be worth trying openSuse and Fedora to see if those distros are a better fit. But you should definitely understand what you are doing before you hose your system trying to brute force a dual boot with a one click solution.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, ClearLinux finished downloading slightly before Fedora so I gave that a shot first. I chose "safe install: install on unused partition" which I made space for. After the install the BIOS said "Intel RST reports unknown error" and I couldn't boot into either OS. Nice work Intel, making a Linux distro to demolish your own storage config, lol

I didn't actually have anything on the Windows install, so no data lost... I just would have liked to successfully get a dual-boot going.

edit: even after saying gently caress it and 100% blowing away all the partitions, ClearLinux just shows a blinking white underscore, which eventually stops blinking. It's super weird that both Ubuntu and ClearLinux will boot and run like a dream on USB but not an actual install.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 24, 2021

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If it makes you feel better I have a W10 install I've done nothing with but nonetheless shits itself 60% of the time, finally broke down last night and went to do a reinstall with a fresh ISO and.. it can't find the drivers it comes with? Everything is terrible

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Is the laptop running a spinning hard drive or an SSD? Because a failing hard drive can cause pretty much all the errors you've described.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is the laptop running a spinning hard drive or an SSD? Because a failing hard drive can cause pretty much all the errors you've described.

It came stock with an Intel 1TB Optane Hybrid SSD, which I thought to mean it was a lovely platter with a small amount of storage (that's what I understood hybrid SSD to mean) but when I opened it up to upgrade it turned out it was just a single 1TB NVME and no spinner drive at all.

edit:

Ubuntu: no sound, no screen brightness

Clear Linux: no sound, supports screen brightness

Fedora: supports sound, no screen brightness, Live USB also has the added feature of toggling the touchpad off for 15 seconds then on for 15 seconds repeatedly

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 24, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

So, uh, what model laptop are you using?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Computer viking posted:

So, uh, what model laptop are you using?

ZenBook UX564EI Q538EI

The only 2-in-1 convertable laptop with a 15.6" 4K OLED, 1165g7 CPU and a discrete GPU. Got it on sale at BB for $1300.

It's really really good for streaming from a monitorless desktop PC to itself, almost no perceptible latency and a super nice screen. If I'm playing with a gamepad or watching a movie I can flip the keyboard around to get the screen even closer.

edit: Fedora wound up being the first distro I could actually boot from the hard drive instead of the USB. But it has the mouse cursor constantly dropping out and it doesn't recognize the Intel chip as being able to decode h.264 or h.265; Ubuntu USB had neither of those issues.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 24, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
You probably need to find the right packages for your hardware, many Linux distros have spotty support out of default installs for proprietary hardware/software, meaning you need to enable the 'non-free' package repos. This is either an ideological issue or a licensing issue, or both.

You should Google your Fedora version and h.264/5 and you'll find instructions, but probably it'll be something along the lines of enabling rpm fusion repos and installing the correct package like so: https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/466820

I run Fedora and watch movies / stream games (via steam link) all the time but I don't remember what specific packages include the codecs you need.

Same thing with your mousepad issues

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah, gstreamer1-libav will cover pretty much all the bases.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

It came stock with an Intel 1TB Optane Hybrid SSD, which I thought to mean it was a lovely platter with a small amount of storage (that's what I understood hybrid SSD to mean) but when I opened it up to upgrade it turned out it was just a single 1TB NVME and no spinner drive at all.

edit:

Ubuntu: no sound, no screen brightness

Clear Linux: no sound, supports screen brightness

Fedora: supports sound, no screen brightness, Live USB also has the added feature of toggling the touchpad off for 15 seconds then on for 15 seconds repeatedly

How big a partition are you making for Linux?

Does the drive show okay health-wise?

Have you checked to see if there is a BIOS update?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I popped on over to the google so I could check the main source of linux documentation(random rear end forums posts) and found this:

https://www.linux.org/threads/installing-on-asus-zenbook-flip-15.33591/

sounds like the laptop is gonna be a pain, but as said above you are going to need to enable the non-free or proprietary repos so you can actually get the software that might work with your hardware. you may have to figure out how to do this from the command line(you can go full terminal mode by hitting ctrl-alt-F1 and back by ctrl-alt-F7 usually)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Getting Linux running on a newish laptop is hard mode, it's the worst introduction to the OS possible. It's gonna make you hate Linux.

Generally speaking once the hardware is five years old it'll run with no issues.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xzzy posted:

Getting Linux running on a newish laptop is hard mode, it's the worst introduction to the OS possible. It's gonna make you hate Linux.

Generally speaking once the hardware is five years old it'll run with no issues.

depending on the popularity of the components maybe as little as a year. it really all depends how mainstream and cheap it is

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

But not too old, either.

You want accelerated 2D on the Radeon 7500 in your Thinkpad T42? The driver is broken since forever and no one is going to fix it. So either run an old kernel or enjoy lovely performance and a choppy desktop.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yeah, my quadro m3000m is a pain in the rear end to get the old drivers working on. Even on OpenSUSE where there is an official repo its iffy

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
just ensure every part of your laptop is made by intel and at least a year old. so simple

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Or we could force manufacturers to actually write drivers worth a poo poo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
OK, I'm like 12 hours in now. Just for safe measure I tore out my Optane SSD and put in a brand new Samsung Evo that I had laying around.

Still had 5 different distros refuse to install and run on the SSD even though they would launch on the Live USB. I could run the exact same Live USB 5 times in a row and have it crash each time, then make it to desktop on the 6th. Finally the Ubuntu "Hirsute Hippo" that I could not get to install successfully after 3 installs, I got to work by installing it in "OEM Installation Mode" and everything worked fine.

Just kidding, my Moonlight Streaming now randomly freezes up and generally runs shittier than the previous Ubuntu revision's Live USB did.

It's just really hosed that my first taste of Linux was a single Live USB that worked miraculously well with an uptime of 2 months, and absolutely nothing will run as smooth as it did. You all told me that 2021 was the year of Linux on the Desktop!

Is there a way to write changes back to a Live USB? So I can reboot the laptop and keep the settings when I launch from it? That would solve things for now I guess.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

The "crash before you can finish installing" may come from the NVIDIA GPU overheating due to the poor state of opensource drivers (called nouveau). With NVIDIA, you should really use the closed source drivers but most installation media only have nouveau.
And since you're on a laptop, you should look into Optimus (to switch between the integrated and dedicated GPUs).

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Zero VGS posted:

OK, I'm like 12 hours in now. Just for safe measure I tore out my Optane SSD and put in a brand new Samsung Evo that I had laying around.

Still had 5 different distros refuse to install and run on the SSD even though they would launch on the Live USB. I could run the exact same Live USB 5 times in a row and have it crash each time, then make it to desktop on the 6th. Finally the Ubuntu "Hirsute Hippo" that I could not get to install successfully after 3 installs, I got to work by installing it in "OEM Installation Mode" and everything worked fine.

Just kidding, my Moonlight Streaming now randomly freezes up and generally runs shittier than the previous Ubuntu revision's Live USB did.

It's just really hosed that my first taste of Linux was a single Live USB that worked miraculously well with an uptime of 2 months, and absolutely nothing will run as smooth as it did. You all told me that 2021 was the year of Linux on the Desktop!

Is there a way to write changes back to a Live USB? So I can reboot the laptop and keep the settings when I launch from it? That would solve things for now I guess.

Check your BIOS settings and make sure the drive settings aren't set for optane. If they are, set for AHCI. I had this issue with a laptop at some point. It may even be a hidden setting, so some google fu may be needed in finding it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Zero VGS posted:

It works fine on my poweredges op

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I suddenly want to try burning a liveusb straight to an hdd and turning on persistence, just to compared to an actual install

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Linux: "4K Display Detected! Activate 2pt Font Mode!"

Also lol at how needlessly high-res that map is.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 25, 2021

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Bourricot posted:

The "crash before you can finish installing" may come from the NVIDIA GPU overheating due to the poor state of opensource drivers (called nouveau). With NVIDIA, you should really use the closed source drivers but most installation media only have nouveau.
And since you're on a laptop, you should look into Optimus (to switch between the integrated and dedicated GPUs).

I wonder if this is true for PopOS since they do offer an installer ISO with the nvidia drivers baked in. Honestly not a bad distro to start with since they really focus on getting that kind of fussy setup/driver/codec/etc stuff Just Working.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I got OpenSuSe to install to my drive and every minute or so everything locks up, like both my USB mouse and the touchpad stop working, also Firefox gives a "not responding" when I do basic searches and I have to force quit it. Lastly the Moonlight app can't find my host on the network, every other distro found it fine. This is the only distro where I installed it using AppImage (because I couldn't get the Snap store to install, I followed the guide but the AppArmor service won't initiate).

Is AppImage walled off from the rest of the network by default? Like some kind of VM?

edit: running sudo snap install snap-store gives: "http://localhost/v2/snaps/snapstore connection refused", why is it trying to use localhost when I can reach the internet on Firefox?

edit 2: Why are people saying OpenSuSe is so stable when things like "using Google" and "installing an app" lag it so bad that the mouse and touchpad both stop working? Or was I not supposed to use Gnome as the GUI? They gave me like 10 different GUI options during install and didn't recommend one.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 25, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zero VGS posted:

Why are people saying OpenSuSe is so stable

Because it is, on hardware that isn't haunted by vengeful spirits.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I think the only option left now is to try Arch. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

Because it is, on hardware that isn't haunted by vengeful spirits.

Apparently so, because I have now spent several hours on each on:

- Ubuntu Hirsute Hippo
- Fedora 34
- Clear Linux
- Drauger OS 7.5
- OpenSuSe
- Pop! OS

And the only thing that finally worked was just going back to the older Ubuntu Focal Fossa, formatting the SSD and installing it there. Moonlight works, sound works, the cursor and Firefox aren't randomly freezing up every 10 seconds like with OpenSuSe, the entire system doesn't freeze for 30 second straight every single time I click anything like with Pop! (which was bizarre because System Monitor saw nothing wrong with CPU use), I don't have to boot 5 times in a row to get it to load like Drauger, Clear Linux was actually fast but Moonlight had unexplained bugs, and so on.

My hardware is haunted by a jealous Fossa and it is even able to make OpenSuSe run like unusable buggy poo poo just so I don't share my attention with other distros.

On another topic, now that I'm being back to stable on Ubuntu, I wanted to try the low-latency kernel to see if it improves the Moonlight stream latency. I ran "apt-get install linux-lowlatency" and it installed the low latency kernel and I rebooted, eveything seemed fine except my wifi was gone. When I did the "apt-get remove linux-lowlatency" and rebooted, the wifi came back just fine. Is there some command to make sure the wifi drivers (I found them all in the root of lib/firmware) load up with the low latency kernel?