Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The East Potomac Golf Course is probably the least offensive of golf courses (public, on land that couldn't really be residential for a number of reasons, public transport accessible), but it would still be way better off as just woods or something.

Things like public golf courses are generally good. Its an outdoor sport with low key competitive energy that happens to be dangerous only to people in front of the player.

A few blocks from me we have a golf course thats public, and the fairways are super narrow because there is absolutely no space that isn't worth a fortune because real estate is so crazy expensive here.

My only complaint is that the courses are so busy you can't just enjoy a walk in them the way you can a larger, traditional course. I saw people playing golf in the snow a couple years ago, wtf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

Things like public golf courses are generally good. Its an outdoor sport with low key competitive energy that happens to be dangerous only to people in front of the player.

A few blocks from me we have a golf course thats public, and the fairways are super narrow because there is absolutely no space that isn't worth a fortune because real estate is so crazy expensive here.

My only complaint is that the courses are so busy you can't just enjoy a walk in them the way you can a larger, traditional course. I saw people playing golf in the snow a couple years ago, wtf?

Eh, disagree. Golf is a gigantic waste of space, and is pretty much about excluding people and encourage classism.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Public golf courses are however public so that’s not really relevant.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Public golf courses are however public so that’s not really relevant.

It can be argued that clubs are priced to keep the poors out, but I feel like thats pretty true of all sports equipment

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We have so much unoccupied space in this country that there is plenty of room for golf courses AND for affordable housing solutions.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CommieGIR posted:

Eh, disagree. Golf is a gigantic waste of space, and is pretty much about excluding people and encourage classism.

I played golf when I was stationed in 29 Palms since it got me out of wearing my service uniforms on Fridays. I had a black co worker who I never really did anything outside of work with. One week he asked me to go golf with him in Palm Springs. I accepted and on the way down to the golf course I asked why he invited me out after almost two years of working together and never doing anything outside work.

He told me he was afraid to be a black dude alone on some fancy golf course in Palm Springs and felt safer knowing he had a white friend with him.

I don’t really have a point other than to say I had no idea that was a thing people had to consider but being white it was something just never saw in person.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stravag posted:

Ive said before they should create a dept of homeless or whatever they want to call it, seize every golf course but one in every county to make it more inconvenient and exclusionary to get rich people on board, plant fruit trees or crops on the golf courses and homeless shelters on them, and then pay the people minimum wage or better to have them pick it. You may be able to pay for the program, your food costs are decreased, you can sell any excess to farmers markets or whatever. It gives the homless a place where its out of the way so people wont gently caress with them and its safe, and its better for the environment and helps the ones who want to get back on their feet a way to do so that isn't just a hand out that some may not want to take they would be earning their way for people who thats important. The ones who have severe mental issues from when we emptied asylums or like it for one reason or another could do their thing, cities could stop wasting money on anti homeless measures like spikes on benches and it seems like w good idea all around

It will never happen.

Trouble is, lots of the soil under that grass is garbage. With few exceptions, lots of golf courses are sodded over enough top soil to give the terrain the features they want. You're not going to grow anything with roots deeper than grass on a golf course unless it happens to be on prime farm ground anyhow. That's not going to happen at the desert courses of the Southwest. If it's a municipal owned course, chances are better it's on a landfill, which isn't exactly fertile ground for anything you want to eat.

Frankly, I'd rather see land that farm corporations fall behind taxes on seized and turned into communal farming villages. Turn the golf courses into green spaces and parks with camping and human resource facilities.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hekk posted:

I played golf when I was stationed in 29 Palms since it got me out of wearing my service uniforms on Fridays. I had a black co worker who I never really did anything outside of work with. One week he asked me to go golf with him in Palm Springs. I accepted and on the way down to the golf course I asked why he invited me out after almost two years of working together and never doing anything outside work.

He told me he was afraid to be a black dude alone on some fancy golf course in Palm Springs and felt safer knowing he had a white friend with him.

I don’t really have a point other than to say I had no idea that was a thing people had to consider but being white it was something just never saw in person.

Public or not, I was surprised to see a group of black guys yelling at me to gtfo because I was in their way. Pretty cool that golf, which I had always heard was the last holdout as 'this is just a white guy sport'(vs like lacrosse which is a rich white guy sport) has people of all races screaming at people for being in their way

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

There is only one good form of golf.
Putt-putt, or minigolf, as most call it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Putt-putt for the proletariat.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

There is only one good form of golf.
Putt-putt, or minigolf, as most call it.

This is correct. Golfing in effectively a straight line is dumb, I need to go over hills, through windmills, and banking off walls.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I really think Golf is dumb.
Putt putt is colourful and fun, and doesn't have the bullshit requirements for dress code.

Plus, I'm a big fan of minority people being able to play.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Driving ranges are fun, can we keep them?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Golf courses should be shoved off in the middle of nowhere, where there's no chance they'd be used by anything else, like housing. There are a lot of courses that aren't, and that's the general problem (outside of the snootiness and race poo poo). Outdoor sports of literally all types should be heavily encouraged in this COVID world, so gently caress it. Double them up as big parks/nature areas and it's cool.

Top Shots, driving ranges, and domes are nowhere near as problematic.

Here's when you can't read the room:

https://twitter.com/RyanairPress/status/1396543331878981632?s=19

And here's when you can:

https://twitter.com/RyanairPress/status/1396767221058359299?s=19

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The first one reads like it was dictated by Belarus security while holding the aircrew hostage.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

RFC2324 posted:

Public or not, I was surprised to see a group of black guys yelling at me to gtfo because I was in their way. Pretty cool that golf, which I had always heard was the last holdout as 'this is just a white guy sport'(vs like lacrosse which is a rich white guy sport) has people of all races screaming at people for being in their way

Poor Minnesota native kids play a lot of lacrosse but otherwise yeah

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

In ny it was only the rich kids near me

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

hobbesmaster posted:

The first one reads like it was dictated by Belarus security while holding the aircrew hostage.

Nah it’s a canned statement, airlines have one of those ready to go for pretty much any eventuality.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Naramyth posted:

Poor Minnesota native kids play a lot of lacrosse but otherwise yeah

lacross is the one where is basically soccer, but on horses, right? because the sports where the barrier of entry is "can afford to own and take care of a horse" are the main ones I am thinking about

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

RFC2324 posted:

lacross is the one where is basically soccer, but on horses, right? because the sports where the barrier of entry is "can afford to own and take care of a horse" are the main ones I am thinking about

That's police. LaCrosse is soccer with sticks, but not hockey.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

No, that’s polo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

thats polo. lacross is soccer with a baseball and nets on hockey sticks.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Polo is whacking a ball with a big croquet hammer while on horseback. Lacrosse is catch the ball with the stick net and whip it at someone else while on foot. It's not poor soccer, the equipment costs alone make sure of that. Soccer is the poor soccer.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Stravag posted:

In ny it was only the rich kids near me

In GA lacrosse was basically the domain of the private schools.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
one time my sister dated a dude who played lacrosse and you guys are going to find this hard to believe but apparently he was a total rear end in a top hat

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

one time my sister dated a dude who played lacrosse and you guys are going to find this hard to believe but apparently he was a total rear end in a top hat

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you played lacrosse in college I automatically think you’re a pretentious douche.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

FrozenVent posted:

Nah it’s a canned statement, airlines have one of those ready to go for pretty much any eventuality.

Except, apparently, "our aircraft was hijacked by a nation's military forces."

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm less bothered about the space golf courses use as the amount of water. They average 130,000 gallons per course per day.

For sense of scale, flint Michigan needs about 95,000 gallons of drinking water per day.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 24, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

McNally posted:

Except, apparently, "our aircraft was hijacked by a nation's military forces."

There’s always something that slips through, a place I used to work at needed two days to workshop a statement for “the plane’s engine caught fire” because they’d never planned for that.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If I have learned anything in my 33 years, it’s that nobody in any industry does any proactive planning and almost every stupid regulation that gets written is because of one dumbass somewhere doing something stupid.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

If I have learned anything in my 33 years, it’s that nobody in any industry does any proactive planning and almost every stupid regulation that gets written is because of one dumbass somewhere doing something stupid.

This is true.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CainFortea posted:

I'm less bothered about the space golf courses use as the amount of water. They average 130,000 gallons per course per day.

For sense of scale, flint Michigan needs about 95,000 gallons of drinking water per day.

Yeah I was about to point out that it's not a matter of Fertile Soil Otherwise Usable For Farming but that they sink gallons of water into maintaining not native plantlife for recreational purposes. If the soil is garbage who cares, I'm sure the plants that used to live there didn't mind it at all.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

boop the snoot posted:

Yeah -- rules, regs, and laws are most often written due to death and injury, but most people either don't realize that or don't care.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The only thing more boring than golf is people talking about golf.

It's amazing I ever got promoted in the AF.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Lmao at the idea of turning golf courses into reserves for the homeless where they can roam free and harvest crops :psyduck:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Lmao at the idea of turning golf courses into reserves for the homeless where they can roam free and harvest crops :psyduck:

A graveyard would be a better use of the land, or hell turn it into dense multistory housing.

Even better: Graveyard Minigolf.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CommieGIR posted:

A graveyard would be a better use of the land, or hell turn it into dense multistory housing.

Even better: Graveyard Minigolf.

Is there a graveyard shortage in your neck of the woods? I don't think the issue precluding high density low-income housing is lack of available land - at least not outside of a few maker cities. People don't like those kind of developments because of the impact I. Property values and amenities

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grip it and rip it posted:

Is there a graveyard shortage in your neck of the woods?

I wish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Athenian spotted.