Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

This is a tough movie to call out, in terms of character motivation and plot holes, because it's absurdist to the point that none of that poo poo particularly matters anyways. Like, put aside all the goofy throwaway stuff with aliens, robots, and timeloops: The Keystone Kop dumbfuckery of Zeus' escape establishes out of the gate that you can't approach any of the people in this film as even semi-rational. We're dealing exclusively with abhuman psychologies, operating in a broken and illogical universe. We shouldn't be asking why the characters made this or that stupid decision, we should be asking how society ever functioned here to begin with.

To be clear, I'm not necessarily saying this as a knock on the film. I find it somewhat charming. Just worth remembering.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He did make some money though and that's not great but...yeah. I honestly am kind of confused about the level of scrutiny this is getting. It was far more noxious when the dude was on Dancing With The Stars, actually getting Hollywood to help rehabilitate him.

I had to google that, because despite the exact conversation we're having about him in AOTD right now, I still thought you were loving with me. Jesus.

This forum needs a satire thread. I'm not thinking about this movie in particular, but an ongoing umbrella conversation about ways to read, interpret, and conceive satire in film would be hugely helpful, for me and I imagine for other people. For instance, "how can satire even exist in this psychotic nightmare hellscape" is a question I think about nearly every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

It is super super weird and pathetic to make a film director who has done nothing but make movies you dont like into some kind of villain and creatively abusive person based on nothing but a projection that is contradictory to everything anyone whose ever worked with him has said.
Try as I might, I can't actually find a negative thing said about Snyder from the people that have actually worked with him. The closest is Sarah Polley and even thats fairly innocuous, and she ended her question in the Guardian Q&A with "love you!".

You can however easily find a lot of people who have worked for him that are quite open in how much they loved doing so and how collaborative he is. I even know a few people in the UK who have various roles in the industry, and even they've singled him out as someone thats easy to work for.

But we're still subjected to deranged takes that he runs his productions like a dictator. gently caress, I even had a little thing on Discord the other day who thought Sucker Punch would have some really nasty stories about its production because 'we know what Snyders like', and I thought mate, go read what the actresses that worked on it have to say, because you'll be pleasantly surprised that you couldn't be further from reality.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gorn Myson posted:

Try as I might, I can't actually find a negative thing said about Snyder from the people that have actually worked with him. The closest is Sarah Polley and even thats fairly innocuous, and she ended her question in the Guardian Q&A with "love you!".

You can however easily find a lot of people who have worked for him that are quite open in how much they loved doing so and how collaborative he is. I even know a few people in the UK who have various roles in the industry, and even they've singled him out as someone thats easy to work for.

But we're still subjected to deranged takes that he runs his productions like a dictator. gently caress, I even had a little thing on Discord the other day who thought Sucker Punch would have some really nasty stories about its production because 'we know what Snyders like', and I thought mate, go read what the actresses that worked on it have to say, because you'll be pleasantly surprised that you couldn't be further from reality.

there was that one extra on twitter who was like saying Zack Snyder was bad because he said to act like you were in NYC during 9/11 when the towers got hit lmao

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

there was that one extra on twitter who was like saying Zack Snyder was bad because he said to act like you were in NYC during 9/11 when the towers got hit lmao

He actually started it with "Come on guys, you aren't sad enough!" THEN he asked them to imagine 9/11 and "put on their twin towers face". LOL

(it was about looking sad after Superman died, btw)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He actually started it with "Come on guys, you aren't sad enough!" THEN he asked them to imagine 9/11 and "put on their twin towers face". LOL

(it was about looking sad after Superman died, btw)

LMAO people literally mad at Snyder because he didn't forget 9/11

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neo Rasa posted:

LMAO people literally mad at Snyder because he didn't forget 9/11

More people should've

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jerkface posted:

Ya man, they find him infront of a liquor store with an entire gang of ppl dressed as stereotypical gang bangers and when they are invading the city chambers is wearing a vazquez bandana lol

Its not that big of a deal I just thought it was funny that she is also not spanish at all. Also what I found weird is that she never killed a zombie before entering the city but immediately john wicks all the zombies!

This isn't me trying to be snippy or curt, I honestly did not read any of that as gang clothes. I read it as "twitch streamer". Aside from the "Don't forget to like and subscribe", the different YouTube and twitch gamer guys I have seen basically all dress like him and have their hair partially dyed like him. I would totally buy it is also the way a gang member would dress though seeing as how most popular social media looks are appropriation.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I just finished watching this and I regret it, I was expecting Dawn of the Dead but this was more Resident Evil. I'm sure a lot of people like the mindless formulaic stuff but there were just too many plot holes and idiot characters for me.

Also maybe I'm alone here but I thought the way the actors played the super zombies was just comical, they were like stray cats crawling around and hissing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someday you will find a plot hole free zombie movie with super genius rational characters.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Being angry about Spicey boy receiving a paycheck is understandable, but I think having him on and then putting him and his parties politics on full blast is worth it.

And it's nice that we actually have a big blockbuster film coming out as saying ICE is full of abusive fascists

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Someday you will find a plot hole free zombie movie with super genius rational characters.

or any horror movie

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not asking for perfection, just something that can suspend disbelief for a while before the end credits roll.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

bees everywhere posted:

I just finished watching this and I regret it, I was expecting Dawn of the Dead but this was more Resident Evil. I'm sure a lot of people like the mindless formulaic stuff but there were just too many plot holes and idiot characters for me.

Also maybe I'm alone here but I thought the way the actors played the super zombies was just comical, they were like stray cats crawling around and hissing.

This is absolutely why I get a lot of peoples problems with it and partially why I both love a lot and disliked a lot of the movie. I do enjoy the zaney RE take on the zombies and the dumb fun vibe of a lot of the movie but a lot of the plotting and pacing suffers from the same mindset.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only thing I would really say read as formulaic to me is who died, who survived, and the order in which they died. The manner in which they died however was generally real surprising, as well as other plot and character beats

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It was surprising to me that Snyder sets up this female character in the opening sequence only to kill her off. Didn't see it coming

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I was annoyed at how Chambers died, because it seemed like the whole crew was 20 feet away with their weapons at the ready but nobody fired a shot and they just stood there watching her. Either run away or shoot the zombies, people!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

The Keystone Kop dumbfuckery of Zeus' escape establishes out of the gate that you can't approach any of the people in this film as even semi-rational. We're dealing exclusively with abhuman psychologies, operating in a broken and illogical universe.

This is exactly why I had such a hard time even buying into this movie from the get-go. Every person we see does not act like a human being. They don't even necessarily act like a walking analogy. They're all screaming the the things they are thinking, saying, and doing, while never reacting to anything in the manner a human being would. I mean that could certainly be a specific creative choice, it's just not one that I agree with or enjoy viewing.

quote:

"how can satire even exist in this psychotic nightmare hellscape" is a question I think about nearly every day.

Same. My god, same. Every time we attempt to satirize reality anymore, reality simply outpaces us and presents an even more insultingly stupid set of conditions. It is not enhancing my calm.

bees everywhere posted:

While watching the Alpha zombies, I had the thought that "this must be what it would he like like to watch the film Cats if you had a stroke and forgot both the English language and what a cat is."

As for the brownface poo poo with the Vazquez character in Aliens, it sure seems like they could've avoided all the on-set difficulty that came with browning up a white British lady by... casting a brown skinned Latina for the role. Just a thought!

Lastly, someone brought up again that Van had a big Omega sign tattoo on his chest I think, which I somehow never noticed. I might bump this movie up a point or two if someone can convincingly make the case for how this is Snyder saying something about his time with DC. Superhuman "alien" creature, with red cape, visual symbolism intented to evoke a godlike quality about him, repeated scenes of him being "bulletproof" (the metal mask they kept showing), opposing a buff adversary with Omega theming... like, there are clearly some unusual similarities popping up here that I lack the context to place, but I'm not averse to the idea that he's got at least one coherent, consistent theme running throughout that might give me something to latch onto. I get that there are lots of other themes, as has been discussed, but they mostly feel scattershot and underbaked, to me.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

bees everywhere posted:

I was annoyed at how Chambers died, because it seemed like the whole crew was 20 feet away with their weapons at the ready but nobody fired a shot and they just stood there watching her. Either run away or shoot the zombies, people!

Guzman does fire one shot but very hesitantly and carefully so it seemed like they were afraid shed get shot as well? That part is a bit unclear as to how many zombies were inbetween them and her to make it seem like a lost cause.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

Lastly, someone brought up again that Van had a big Omega sign tattoo on his chest I think, which I somehow never noticed. I might bump this movie up a point or two if someone can convincingly make the case for how this is Snyder saying something about his time with DC. Superhuman "alien" creature, with red cape, visual symbolism intented to evoke a godlike quality about him, repeated scenes of him being "bulletproof" (the metal mask they kept showing), opposing a buff adversary with Omega theming... like, there are clearly some unusual similarities popping up here that I lack the context to place, but I'm not averse to the idea that he's got at least one coherent, consistent theme running throughout that might give me something to latch onto. I get that there are lots of other themes, as has been discussed, but they mostly feel scattershot and underbaked, to me.

Its a brand Omari got in a frat and has nothing to do with Snyder. Its just a coincidence.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is an unfair and hyperbolic response to a reasonable desire that some might have for a film's decisions to feel at least somewhat relatable as a first step for viewer buy-in. Many people in this thread have pointed out that the movie operates on dream logic as a means to rationalize the many strange things that happen, so another person noting that and saying it rubbed them the wrong way is neither an unfair nor invalid assertion.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It was surprising to me that Snyder sets up this female character in the opening sequence only to kill her off. Didn't see it coming

That opening had a lot of cool setups for characters that bought it way too quickly.

It's a crime the piano dude never showed back up outside of the first few shots of the movie.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

This isn't me trying to be snippy or curt, I honestly did not read any of that as gang clothes. I read it as "twitch streamer".

Guzman was dressed sharply and cool, and had the stylish hair and accessories, but he also used like a shorty AK-74su and held it sideways and all of his friends were dressed like GTA extras with the stereotypical top button shirts and stuff. I like the concept of an influencer danger seeker live streamer guy, but outside of him actually being in a youtube video in universe he was more closely portrayed as just a street thug type guy.

The Chambers death could have used some better setup, like a big running thing through the whole movie is seeing someone with a bite mark and having to put them down, but Chambers is never visually bitten- its just assumed. There should have either been too many zombies inbetween Guzman and her, or she should have had obvious multiple bite marks from fighting her way single handedly through a horde. (obviously she gets bitten at the very end of her struggle, but like up to that point they could have obviously helped her)

She was too badass and the way her death was shot was pretty weak imo.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Guzman does fire one shot but very hesitantly and carefully so it seemed like they were afraid shed get shot as well? That part is a bit unclear as to how many zombies were inbetween them and her to make it seem like a lost cause.

There aren't really many zombies in between, but there was a horde just a few feet away from her.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Its a brand Omari got in a frat and has nothing to do with Snyder. Its just a coincidence.

It fits surprisingly well considering the ending. He's the last remaining member of the team (the daughter invited herself along at the last minute) AND the next Alpha, this time in a place that's going to be much harder to contain, he might be literally ushering in the end times

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

2house2fly posted:

It fits surprisingly well considering the ending. He's the last remaining member of the team (the daughter invited herself along at the last minute) AND the next Alpha, this time in a place that's going to be much harder to contain, he might be literally ushering in the end times

I dunno, I think the implication is that even tho he's an alpha, he won't be the next Zeus, none of the alpha zombies seemed to have the sentience Zeus had, although I wish they did. The alphas coordinating without Zeus and armoring themselves would've made the odds ridiculously lopsided.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

2house2fly posted:

He's an alpha and an Omega

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
It's all bible

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I'm honestly a little surprised he doesn't off himself immediately when he finds out he's been bitten. Nothing in the film seemed to imply that he was an evil or callous person, or even all that interested in self preservation (he willingly decided to go on a suicide mission, after all). I have trouble imagining him not coming to a very quick understanding of the reality of his situation. We don't necessarily know if the bite was Alpha zed or regular, either, since it happened offscreen, so it's not like he could assume that he's going to retain a level of intelligence and maybe try to resist becoming a cannibal ghoul by the end of the day.

Anyway, I'm no nuclear scientist, but doesn't being anywhere within the blast radius of an atomic bomb, or wandering around in the crater of its immediate aftermath, guarantee a grotesque, lingering death by means of rotting away into tumescent flesh slime? I'm pretty sure that's a thing, which means any potential survivors are probably not gonna be around for a sequel no matter what.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Well he was hosed anyway, he was straight up breathing in nuclear fallout for however long it took him to find the car. Getting covered in fallout isn't a death sentence but breathing it or ingesting it is very very bad for your internal organs.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ruddiger posted:

That opening had a lot of cool setups for characters that bought it way too quickly.

It's a crime the piano dude never showed back up outside of the first few shots of the movie.

Piano dude being linked to the timeloop theory after counting to 4 is such a cool theory for me.

Jerkface posted:

Guzman was dressed sharply and cool, and had the stylish hair and accessories, but he also used like a shorty AK-74su and held it sideways and all of his friends were dressed like GTA extras with the stereotypical top button shirts and stuff. I like the concept of an influencer danger seeker live streamer guy, but outside of him actually being in a youtube video in universe he was more closely portrayed as just a street thug type guy.

The Chambers death could have used some better setup, like a big running thing through the whole movie is seeing someone with a bite mark and having to put them down, but Chambers is never visually bitten- its just assumed. There should have either been too many zombies inbetween Guzman and her, or she should have had obvious multiple bite marks from fighting her way single handedly through a horde. (obviously she gets bitten at the very end of her struggle, but like up to that point they could have obviously helped her)

She was too badass and the way her death was shot was pretty weak imo.

You do see her get bit, theres a huge blood splatter

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 24, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really liked the way the alpha queen zombie was moving around and how dancelike it was. It was very otherworldly and her guttural screeches seemed almost like incantations. The only similarity I see to Cats there is that it is highly choreographed

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

McCloud posted:

Zeus is basically a zombie superhero

He even had a cape

Semi-related, but Zeus, The Alpha, ascended from Olympus to fight those that would steal the fire of the gods. He met Vanderhoe, The Omega, in front of the Gotterdammerung, which means Twilight of the Gods, or doomsday, or Ragnarok, which ever you prefer. Dieter says it symbolizes death, and Rebirth. Zeus dies, Vanderhoe emerges from the depths of the Underworld, or Tartarus, after Ragnarok, reborn into something new

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This was a missed opportunity to showcase Bautista's self-doubt, the streamer's overconfidence, or Dieter's naivete by having one of them try (and fail) to help - causing the same results.

What we actually got didn't line up with any of the characterization (except for Dieter). Especially so close to the film's opening, where we just saw everyone else leaping into action and accomplishing heroic badass rescues.

I know someone will argue that was a deliberate choice, and I'm not trying to poo poo on the film; I think that scene was just a clunker.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

You do see her get bit, theres a huge blood splatter

She gets bit like after 5 minutes of them watching her struggle and Guzman shooting 1 of the zombies. In fact, they are already like "Shes done lets leave her!!" before she ever gets bit. Thats the problem, she busts through the window and scrabbles around for a bit fighting and everyone stands around slack jawed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

This is an unfair and hyperbolic response to a reasonable desire that some might have for a film's decisions to feel at least somewhat relatable as a first step for viewer buy-in. Many people in this thread have pointed out that the movie operates on dream logic as a means to rationalize the many strange things that happen, so another person noting that and saying it rubbed them the wrong way is neither an unfair nor invalid assertion.

Not really. There's a long tradition of people throwing "plot holes" as a criticism without elaborating on what those plot holes are. It's Cinema Sins syndrome. "Idiot characters" is a similar critique. It's the film watcher equivalent to an being armchair quarterback. The smartest character in the movie was the one guy who left team before they went to Vegas.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not really. There's a long tradition of people throwing "plot holes" as a criticism without elaborating on what those plot holes are. It's Cinema Sins syndrome. "Idiot characters" is a similar critique. It's the film watcher equivalent to an being armchair quarterback. The smartest character in the movie was the one guy who left team before they went to Vegas.

Lol yeah he literally says they're all going to die as he leaves

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/KayneIvor/status/1396879524025884673?s=19

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Lol yeah he literally says they're all going to die as he leaves

The things about these characters is ... the core team are the survivors of the actual zombie outbreak. After they survived and escaped they willingly went back into Las Vegas. Once you realize that, all expectations of rational decision making or whatever rightfully goes out the window.

Each one of them acknowledge that it is more than likely they are going back to die. Tig's character's like my life sucks enough I'd rather go back to zombieville. Bautista's character is like I'm not flipping another day of burgers.

Even then they joke about what it would be like if they actually did the smart thing. Tig (being the second smartest character in the movie, first being the guy who sees what they signed up for and immediately backed out) points out that they should just shiv Martin at the outset.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 24, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I hate that so many movies have decided zombies make some sort of dinosaur noise. I feel like I’m the last ten years every single monster in every single movie just makes the same monster noise now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I liked Tig a lot

I found it distracting how it looked like all of the zombies, when they ran and leapt about, looked like a bunch of preening and posing community college actors. But maybe they were???