Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Do you have a style preference? Fridges don't seem to be built to last 20 years anymore so that's going to be the primary factor; they all have their problems and complaints,(Samsung and LG have both had class action lawsuits for ice makers/compressors respectively, loud noises on GE/Cafe fridges/etc ), so just get one you like the look/features of and use a credit card that gives an extra year warranty coverage.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
With an eye to resale, what will be worth more to a buyer, a modern radiant heating system or a modern HVAC system?

We put an offer in on a 1970s house that currently has electric baseboard heaters (+ one mini split unit). We may have room left in our budget for some renos before taking possession. The realtor said that she would install an HVAC system, and my gut says that any future buyers will prefer the typical furnace & AC setup. On the other hand, radiant heating sounds nicer to live with.

I was also looking at under-floor hydronic systems but our average winter lows are around -20c/-5f and I don't know if that'd work for those temperatures.

I haven't lived with radiant so from my POV installing an HVAC would mean forgoing an upgrade rather than stomaching a downgrade.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I had a basic french door Whirlpool at my last house that ran for almost 9 years with no problems.

I have a LG that's less than 3 years old that has already needed to be repaired once. Manufacturing defect with the filter drier in the compressor loop. I'm generally not a fan of extended warranties on things, but I did buy one for the Fridge.

I have no idea how these things cost 3500 dollars and aren't designed to last for 20 years like they used to be.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ball Tazeman posted:

Oh hello.

So she’s living under the shed. I’ve definitely never dealt with wildlife trapping. Is a groundhog something I can catch and release safely on my own or should I get a wildlife control expert?

Galaxy Brain: set up cameras and little tables with food and post them to YouTube like the Chunk and make some cash.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

just another posted:

With an eye to resale, what will be worth more to a buyer, a modern radiant heating system or a modern HVAC system?

We put an offer in on a 1970s house that currently has electric baseboard heaters (+ one mini split unit). We may have room left in our budget for some renos before taking possession. The realtor said that she would install an HVAC system, and my gut says that any future buyers will prefer the typical furnace & AC setup. On the other hand, radiant heating sounds nicer to live with.

I was also looking at under-floor hydronic systems but our average winter lows are around -20c/-5f and I don't know if that'd work for those temperatures.

I haven't lived with radiant so from my POV installing an HVAC would mean forgoing an upgrade rather than stomaching a downgrade.

If you're trying to maximize resale already (I'mnot sure how much I agree with that) and if you are in an area where you need AC then you really need to have meaningful AC for the whole house. If you want radiant that's great - it is really nice. But it can't provide AC. It's also a little weird as a primary heating source to me. It takes to long to increase temperature. I've always considered it a very nice primary/first stage heating that also needs something like a forced air system as a second stage for times when it's needed.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

Galaxy Brain: set up cameras and little tables with food and post them to YouTube like the Chunk and make some cash.

My friend suggested I do this hah!

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
I need some help with air conditioners and BTUs.

I have a small one-bedroom apartment. The total area to be cooled is about 430 square feet. Normally I would get a tiny window AC for the bedroom and a moderately sized AC for the living room/kitchen, but unfortunately my building requires through-the-wall air conditioners instead of window ACs. That makes things difficult because the bedroom is only about 100 square feet, and I don't know of any through-the-wall air conditioning units appropriate for such a small space. It gets pretty warm at night because my apartment is on the west side of the building, and the building soaks up a lot of heat during sunset.

The obvious options are to make a living room AC responsible for cooling the entire apartment, or to find the smallest possible through-the-wall AC for the bedroom and hope for the best. It is possible I could artificially enlarge the bedroom because it connects to a short hallway that opens to the living room, and maybe a temporary room divider would impede airflow.

Has anyone cooled an entire small apartment with one AC? Which option is better, and how many BTUs would work best?

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

PageMaster posted:

Do you have a style preference? Fridges don't seem to be built to last 20 years anymore so that's going to be the primary factor; they all have their problems and complaints,(Samsung and LG have both had class action lawsuits for ice makers/compressors respectively, loud noises on GE/Cafe fridges/etc ), so just get one you like the look/features of and use a credit card that gives an extra year warranty coverage.

The only style preferences I have are stainless steel and french door, not too picky otherwise. Lowes seems to have some they can deliver as soon as tomorrow so I guess I'll see what all my options are there.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

fartzilla posted:

I need some help with air conditioners and BTUs.

I have a small one-bedroom apartment. The total area to be cooled is about 430 square feet. Normally I would get a tiny window AC for the bedroom and a moderately sized AC for the living room/kitchen, but unfortunately my building requires through-the-wall air conditioners instead of window ACs. That makes things difficult because the bedroom is only about 100 square feet, and I don't know of any through-the-wall air conditioning units appropriate for such a small space. It gets pretty warm at night because my apartment is on the west side of the building, and the building soaks up a lot of heat during sunset.

The obvious options are to make a living room AC responsible for cooling the entire apartment, or to find the smallest possible through-the-wall AC for the bedroom and hope for the best. It is possible I could artificially enlarge the bedroom because it connects to a short hallway that opens to the living room, and maybe a temporary room divider would impede airflow.

Has anyone cooled an entire small apartment with one AC? Which option is better, and how many BTUs would work best?

A modern energy star compliant AC unit should have an "eco" mode you can use, it will run the compressor a hell of a lot less and blast fewer btu's / hour. Should help bridge the gap between slapping 1ton of AC into a 10x10 room. You might also see if your building would make an exception for one of those "U" shaped window units. Someone around these parts recently got one and loves it, it seems to be the best of both world.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I need to extend my dishwasher drain hose by like 1-2 feet. Can I buy any hose and cut it to length and clamp it or does it need to have the clamps built in?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

H110Hawk posted:

A modern energy star compliant AC unit should have an "eco" mode you can use, it will run the compressor a hell of a lot less and blast fewer btu's / hour. Should help bridge the gap between slapping 1ton of AC into a 10x10 room. You might also see if your building would make an exception for one of those "U" shaped window units. Someone around these parts recently got one and loves it, it seems to be the best of both world.

i too have a u

would recommend

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ErikTheRed posted:

The only style preferences I have are stainless steel and french door, not too picky otherwise. Lowes seems to have some they can deliver as soon as tomorrow so I guess I'll see what all my options are there.

Here's the Samsung fridge we bought a few years ago, it has barely changed at all:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Samsung-RF...STAR/1000969456

I recommend it

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

U shaped ones appear to be sold out everywhere (except for scalpers on amazon) - which is annoying, because I was going to buy one, but wanted to measure my window first.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah they so look neat but amazon had them for like $400 so not paying double neat. I ended up with an LG one to supplement my central AC for my too far of a run bedroom

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I need to extend my dishwasher drain hose by like 1-2 feet. Can I buy any hose and cut it to length and clamp it or does it need to have the clamps built in?

Any decent hardware store will have an extension kit or an old dude in the plumbing aisle that will set you up with hose off the bulk rack and the right clamps. Either will do just fine.

Edit: do you need 2 feet just to reach, or does 2 feet also give you the high loop that you absolutely want to have so the crap from your garbage disposal doesn't end up in your dishwasher making it smell rotten?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Motronic posted:

Any decent hardware store will have an extension kit or an old dude in the plumbing aisle that will set you up with hose off the bulk rack and the right clamps. Either will do just fine.

Edit: do you need 2 feet just to reach, or does 2 feet also give you the high loop that you absolutely want to have so the crap from your garbage disposal doesn't end up in your dishwasher making it smell rotten?

I need the 2 feet to do the high loop. It's all hooked up right now, but the loop isn't very high, and I don't have enough slack in the hose to attach it to the underside of the cabinet

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought a Samsung french door fridge that lasted 2 years until the water dispenser broke so they sent a tech who said there's foam blocking the vents (???) and deemed it irrepairable so they issued me a complete refund.
Bough an LG fridge which lasted 7 years until the compressor gave out. Parts were covered under warranty but the tech they sent quoted me $700 labor (lol) so i told them to pound sand and bought a new one.
I spent a bunch of time researching fridges, checking CR and appliance forums and settled on a nice mid-range Whirlpool fridge and went back to a side by side since the repair guys said they tended to be more reliable.
This one lasted 18 months before the wiring harness in the door got severed which, according to best buy reviews, is a design flaw which can't be remedied and can only repaired by replacing the entire door. Good thing I spent the $70 on the best buy extended warranty.

3 fridges in 11 years. I hate modern appliances so much.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I got a GE profile French door and it seems fine after a month other than the water flow from the dispenser is very poor

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FCKGW posted:

I bought a Samsung french door fridge that lasted 2 years until the water dispenser broke so they sent a tech who said there's foam blocking the vents (???) and deemed it irrepairable so they issued me a complete refund.
Bough an LG fridge which lasted 7 years until the compressor gave out. Parts were covered under warranty but the tech they sent quoted me $700 labor (lol) so i told them to pound sand and bought a new one.
I spent a bunch of time researching fridges, checking CR and appliance forums and settled on a nice mid-range Whirlpool fridge and went back to a side by side since the repair guys said they tended to be more reliable.
This one lasted 18 months before the wiring harness in the door got severed which, according to best buy reviews, is a design flaw which can't be remedied and can only repaired by replacing the entire door. Good thing I spent the $70 on the best buy extended warranty.

3 fridges in 11 years. I hate modern appliances so much.

This is why I paid $440 for a 5-year warranty from the appliance store for my $1710 fridge, I absolutely do not want to be worried about dealing with this poo poo.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I have a new french door whirlpool fridge from Costco arriving tomorrow after we found out the GE monogram that came with our new house was leaking freon. Was probably 10-15 years old so it was probably time.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

kitten emergency posted:

I got a GE profile French door and it seems fine after a month other than the water flow from the dispenser is very poor

Check the water filter, like take it out, test flow and reinstall it or swap it.

I had an issue with this in my old Samsung fridge. Water would struggle through whatever off brand filter the PO put in at the time.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

I had this issue with my fridge for *2 YEARS* before I fiddled with the valve leading to the fridge and realized it was only open a hair. So much shame as I plumbed it myself.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
Ended up ordering a Whirlpool refrigerator from Lowes. Lowes wanted ~$500 for a 5 year warranty, but it looks like you can get one direct from Whirlpool for $250.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The only thing I hate so far in my Samsung fridge that the ice in the fridge is almost milky white. But apparently that's normal - just aesthetically not nice.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/home-appliances/refrigerator-ice-colour-concern/

We get our replacement range on Friday - I hope the dual door works this time. :lol:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Anyone had to have foundation work like extra piers? How was it?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Woof Blitzer posted:

It sounds like having giant raccoons with powertools infest your house.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Yeah but how much dolla dolla bill was it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

$texas

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Woof Blitzer posted:

We had our foundation braced and bolted for $4k less a $3k rebate from the California earthquake authority aka the earthquake insurance people. Not new supports but a days labor for a crew of 4ish.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Three new reinforced concrete footers and steel columns in my basement was $2100 for the contractor, $750 for the stamped drawings, and $200-ish for the permit. We also got a deal because the contractor had a much larger job around the corner and we told him to do it whenever he had downtime over there.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
If there's a better thread to ask drywall questions, lmk I'll post over there

I have always used Beadex metal drywall corners for outside corners, paper for inside corners. Beadex cause it's what lowes and my local hardware store sell. I use 3m spray adhesive and then coat with mud after. I haven't ever had significant problems with a Beadex corner. Occasionally part won't stick but that's just my installation error.

Now this poo poo: Clark Dietrich corners. I bought them cause I had a big load of drywall delivered from Home Depot and it's the corners home depot sells.

See that long, vertical bubbling on the right side of the picture? That's where the paper is adhered to the metal corner at the factory. All I did was mud over it and this happened all over the dang place. The paper unstuck from the metal corner!

No big deal in terms of the end result, I'll just go back through, cut the bubbles out, and recoat. And recoat. And probably sand a bit. But dammit I don't want extra work. Drywall takes forever as is.

Is there anything I did wrong? Or are these just shittier than the ones I've gotten before?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Went the carbon fiber strip route since the steel wall beams take up so much space and the bowing was still minor. They were installed at the same time as a perimeter drain for a total of $16k, can't seem to find anything in writing now that breaks down the quote but I'm pretty sure just the strips alone $7k-ish?

Edit: realized I confused piers with those steel wall braces so maybe this info isn't that helpful

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 25, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

All I did was mud over it and this happened all over the dang place. The paper unstuck from the metal corner!

I got those once and mudded them in like paper tape (i.e., mud under, then 2 coats on top of that). Didn't have an issue.

Not sure if that's what made the difference or not, but I kinda doubt it? With where that paper is coming off it looks more like a manufacturing defect.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I want to add a walk in part of my yard and while concrete wouldn't be my first choice that's what the existing sidewalk already is so I'd like it to match. How stupid is it to try and do this myself instead of hiring it out? I'm handy but I've never worked with concrete.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wallet posted:

I want to add a walk in part of my yard and while concrete wouldn't be my first choice that's what the existing sidewalk already is so I'd like it to match. How stupid is it to try and do this myself instead of hiring it out? I'm handy but I've never worked with concrete.

How much concrete are we talking about?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Somebody tell me everything I should know about replacing a roof.

When we moved into our house about a decade ago the home inspector said our shingles would probably need replacing in ten years. We were thinking about getting it done soon and I've checked out an online calculator https://www.roofcalc.org/ but don't have a very good idea what to expect. We're in New England and have all the weather that comes with that. Haven't gotten any estimates yet but the calculator says it'd probably be between $5-6k.

Roof is asphalt and looks fine to me but it's not like I have any idea what to look for specifically. Also thinking that'd it'd be better to replace it before any problems crop up and we do have the money now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Quiet Feet posted:

Somebody tell me everything I should know about replacing a roof.

When we moved into our house about a decade ago the home inspector said our shingles would probably need replacing in ten years. We were thinking about getting it done soon and I've checked out an online calculator https://www.roofcalc.org/ but don't have a very good idea what to expect. We're in New England and have all the weather that comes with that. Haven't gotten any estimates yet but the calculator says it'd probably be between $5-6k.

Roof is asphalt and looks fine to me but it's not like I have any idea what to look for specifically. Also thinking that'd it'd be better to replace it before any problems crop up and we do have the money now.

We roofed our 1900 sqft home in Mississippi for about $9k a couple of years ago.

I got a roofing company out to do an estimate for no particular reasoning other than I knew it was eventually going to need replacing. He got up there and said "actually looks like you have some hail damage... insurance will probably pay for this."

Called insurance and they did without much of a fuss at all. So... yay! There is a time limit on when the known hail storm had to come through but we were within it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

BonoMan posted:

We roofed our 1900 sqft home in Mississippi for about $9k a couple of years ago.

I got a roofing company out to do an estimate for no particular reasoning other than I knew it was eventually going to need replacing. He got up there and said "actually looks like you have some hail damage... insurance will probably pay for this."

Called insurance and they did without much of a fuss at all. So... yay! There is a time limit on when the known hail storm had to come through but we were within it.

How many slope changes does your roof have?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

About how long did it take? Is this a few days project or a weeks project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Quiet Feet posted:

About how long did it take? Is this a few days project or a weeks project?

To actually do the work? One day.

Going through the process and getting scheduled obviously takes a little time, but the actual re-roofing was one day. Those crews loving HUSTLE.