Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Talking about the adaptations we do have just kinda hammers home how good the Golden Age Arc writing and character development is. This prb will never be a live action thing, but if it were done at a S1-4 GoT level, the payoff at the end for those that didn't know what they were getting into would be AMAZING. The trilogy movies were very good about that, the 97 TV series was. Thinking about that, it's not at all surprising its the most adapted portion of the story.

Also please never do a live action adaptation.

e: since i sniped the page LoneStar, howd the sky of faces turn out for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

And now the landscape and sky is faces. Really didn't expect that.

Lol

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The Notorious ZSB posted:

e: since i sniped the page LoneStar, howd the sky of faces turn out for you?
Well, I dunno about the ones in the sky, but one in the ground turned into a giant naked lady, so that's all good.

But really, things went to Hell so drat fast. Literally and figurately. Everyone's loving dead pretty much except for Rickert and Casca. Just saw Pippin hollowed out like a shell (from a monster strangely similar to The Count) and Gaston broke the fourth wall. Saw God or some version of it which was horrifying. I really had no idea things got so loving crazy and chaotic, with Hell literally breaking loose upon the world right then and there, Griffith actively sacrificing all his friends and comrades for power. I knew it was so foreboding that we never really saw much of his inner thoughts. Makes me wonder at what point he went this crazy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He was always that crazy, but his breaking point was when Guts beat him in a duel and he had to face the reality that he wasn't in absolute control of the world around him.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Reserving the next 3 pages for the incoming "Griffith did nothing wrong" talk

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

TheLoneStar posted:

Well, I dunno about the ones in the sky, but one in the ground turned into a giant naked lady, so that's all good.

Just saw Pippin hollowed out like a shell (from a monster strangely similar to The Count) and Gaston broke the fourth wall.

Thats another very good quote for posterity.

To the bolded thought... :thunk: I'd encourage you to revisit the black swordsman chapters after you finish the eclipse...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

He was always that crazy, but his breaking point was when Guts beat him in a duel and he had to face the reality that he wasn't in absolute control of the world around him.
I guess I hadn't realized that had driven him so insane.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Thats another very good quote for posterity.

To the bolded thought... :thunk: I'd encourage you to revisit the black swordsman chapters after you finish the eclipse...
Thanks, I try.

Was there a hint that they had met before when he saw him in the earlier chapters? I don't recall. Thinking of it, The Count was a monster for a while, wasn't he? I don't know how long the timeskip between The Golden Age and the present is, though.

Also, I did also notice that the seduction monster from the first few pages of the manga appeared to devour Corkus.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
These have been a couple of funny pages. Almost enough to break through the tears.

Just made me think that when I reread it here in the next few weeks I'm going to do Black Swordsman, Golden Age, the interlude, then Black Swordsman again before lost children.

Consider the chronology. Theresia makes Guts cry, then Lost children...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also, read this after you get to Guts declaration of war- you'll know *exactly* what that means when you get to it-

The way the world works, magic is always teeming just beneath the surface of Berserk-world. Its a separate layer of reality. Certain things can make those realities mix together, such as the stones, certain trees, grave enough atrocities, so on and so forth. More physical spirits like elves are able to exist in the real world by crossing into it from those points. Same for demons, especially Apostles.

Guts basically becomes a walking nexus point after the Eclipse due to his Brand. The spirits too weak to normally crossover actively can around him, notably at night. So things that people go their whole lives without ever being aware of are now able to make themselves known due to his presence.

Apostles also mostly hosed off to wherever the hell they could since they're not creatures that would do well in groups. Two Apostles in one location means that there's two top tier predators competing for the same food source. The Snake Baron was a roving warlord until he settled down, the Count had his whole area already secured, and you'll see more examples soon. The Dog Knights and Zod were known as mythical figures on the battlefield, but the average person wouldn't believe half of the bullshit said about them.

Guts actively seeks them out following the Eclipse, which raises the awareness that they even EXIST for whoever survives. Which isn't many.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

TheLoneStar posted:

He immediately responds by raping Charlotte. He didn't beat up Corkus, didn't send Casca through some torturous training, didn't find some enemies to go hack to bits, didn't bother to find someone else in power to assassinate. He went with the easiest, most direct solution. Lowest cost, greatest reward (greatest risk).

Figuratively and literally, "his sword was broken". Not only could he not recover Guts, he couldn't even participate in battle. That "arm" had been removed. What was left was his boyish looks or tactical skill. And with the queen gone, who really cares about a daughter they'll probably high-five me!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Burkion posted:

Also, read this after you get to Guts declaration of war- you'll know *exactly* what that means when you get to it-

The way the world works, magic is always teeming just beneath the surface of Berserk-world. Its a separate layer of reality. Certain things can make those realities mix together, such as the stones, certain trees, grave enough atrocities, so on and so forth. More physical spirits like elves are able to exist in the real world by crossing into it from those points. Same for demons, especially Apostles.

Guts basically becomes a walking nexus point after the Eclipse due to his Brand. The spirits too weak to normally crossover actively can around him, notably at night. So things that people go their whole lives without ever being aware of are now able to make themselves known due to his presence.

Apostles also mostly hosed off to wherever the hell they could since they're not creatures that would do well in groups. Two Apostles in one location means that there's two top tier predators competing for the same food source. The Snake Baron was a roving warlord until he settled down, the Count had his whole area already secured, and you'll see more examples soon. The Dog Knights and Zod were known as mythical figures on the battlefield, but the average person wouldn't believe half of the bullshit said about them.

Guts actively seeks them out following the Eclipse, which raises the awareness that they even EXIST for whoever survives. Which isn't many.
So, what this means is that monsters aren't around every corner, except when Guts is around they come out to play more often? I had just been under the impression that after the Eclipse, it was basically like an invasion, where any trip through the woods or a lonely dirt path could make you run into all sorts of demons and creatures.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

He immediately responds by raping Charlotte. He didn't beat up Corkus, didn't send Casca through some torturous training, didn't find some enemies to go hack to bits, didn't bother to find someone else in power to assassinate. He went with the easiest, most direct solution. Lowest cost, greatest reward (greatest risk).

Figuratively and literally, "his sword was broken". Not only could he not recover Guts, he couldn't even participate in battle. That "arm" had been removed. What was left was his boyish looks or tactical skill. And with the queen gone, who really cares about a daughter they'll probably high-five me!
Was that really a rape? She was caught off-guard, but seemed very into things before the kiss even ended. But yes, that's true. It was about the stupidest thing he could've done in that situation aside from trying to usurp the throne by cutting the king's head.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I know it's probably beaten to death but I really do wonder how things would have played out if there was just a little bit of actual goddamn communication between those idiots.

It wouldn't even have to be much. Just as he's walking away, for Guts to drop a quick thing about doing it to be a true friend who can stand on his own or whatnot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheLoneStar posted:

So, what this means is that monsters aren't around every corner, except when Guts is around they come out to play more often? I had just been under the impression that after the Eclipse, it was basically like an invasion, where any trip through the woods or a lonely dirt path could make you run into all sorts of demons and creatures.

Was that really a rape? She was caught off-guard, but seemed very into things before the kiss even ended. But yes, that's true. It was about the stupidest thing he could've done in that situation aside from trying to usurp the throne by cutting the king's head.

For the first, nope. Its due to Guts himself. There are monsters that lurk, but they're rare and mostly Apostle related. The spirits and horrible nasties that plague Guts can only manifest because of his brand. Apostles are, to a one, humans who forsake their humanity for power, so they escape this separation by nature but they're still isolated- unless something like the Eclipse happens. As you'll see when/if you go back to the early chapters, all of the Apostles from there can be found in the Eclipse and they are the same people. Guts was basically avenging the Band of the Hawk one by one by hunting down the monsters responsible for their deaths.

For the second, it's less overt rape and more he knew how the princess felt about him and took advantage of her to make himself feel powerful.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I know it's probably beaten to death but I really do wonder how things would have played out if there was just a little bit of actual goddamn communication between those idiots.

It wouldn't even have to be much. Just as he's walking away, for Guts to drop a quick thing about doing it to be a true friend who can stand on his own or whatnot.

Wouldn't have mattered. For Griffith it would have been the same.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheLoneStar posted:

Not really. The Apostles and magical beings have always been around, but once Guts gets branded we see them a lot more because the story is centered around Guts. Your average peasant still doesn't see much magical poo poo unless they get unlucky, and those that do rarely survive the experience.

The Eclipse is a huge deal, but more because it occurs once ever 250 or so years to add another member to the God Hand. Don't ask too much about God Hand particulars, we have lots of inferred information, but nothing solid and that was one of the threads that Miura left unresolved.

quote:

Probably statutory rape, and definitely a case of Griffith leveraging his talents to predatory ends. If nothing else this is what absolutely seals Griffith as a piece of poo poo prior to the Eclipse in my eyes-- when he was proven fallible and no longer King poo poo of poo poo Mountain, he beelined to the most vulnerable person in his social sphere just so he could get the temporary high of being idealized and on a pedestal again.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Burkion posted:

For the first, nope. Its due to Guts himself. There are monsters that lurk, but they're rare and mostly Apostle related. The spirits and horrible nasties that plague Guts can only manifest because of his brand. Apostles are, to a one, humans who forsake their humanity for power, so they escape this separation by nature but they're still isolated- unless something like the Eclipse happens. As you'll see when/if you go back to the early chapters, all of the Apostles from there can be found in the Eclipse and they are the same people. Guts was basically avenging the Band of the Hawk one by one by hunting down the monsters responsible for their deaths.

For the second, it's less overt rape and more he knew how the princess felt about him and took advantage of her to make himself feel powerful.

Wouldn't have mattered. For Griffith it would have been the same.
I see, alright. Makes sense. And poo poo, that's a good point. I didn't even consider he was going on a revenge binge, just thought he was going after any monster he could, especially if he could find one with ties to a Behelit.

mind the walrus posted:

Probably statutory rape, and definitely a case of Griffith leveraging his talents to predatory ends. If nothing else this is what absolutely seals Griffith as a piece of poo poo prior to the Eclipse in my eyes-- when he was proven fallible and no longer King poo poo of poo poo Mountain, he beelined to the most vulnerable person in his social sphere just so he could get the temporary high of being idealized and on a pedestal again.
That's true too. Wasn't defending his actions, of course. He was pretty blatantly taking advantage of her from the moment they met. This was just the icing on the cake, as it were.

But now the flashback is done. And wow, it was both a lot longer and a lot better than I was expecting. I was a bit wary with the story at first because it was so super edgy, Guts being a bit unlikable even though I knew he had a rough backstory. But it's gotten so much better. The Golden Age was just so well written and I really grew attached to the friends that Guts made. Oh, and Corkus was there too. I did have this feeling of dread the whole time, knowing that the higher things got, the worse they'd crash for everyone. Had this sense of foreboding and I kept wondering when things were going to get absolutely hosed. Especially later into it, each time the Behelit showed up, I wondered if Griffith's descent into demonkind was right around the corner or not. Really makes me wonder how things would be if this had been where the manga started. Not as a flashback, but just the very start. That dramatic irony would be gone, but I wonder how much more of a punch Griffith's betrayal would've been if no one knew it was coming? Really feel for Casca, so traumatized that she can barely function. When she survived the Eclipse, I first wondered if Guts just forced her to let him part ways with her, but naturally the reality is a lot worse.

Also, I should've seen it coming that the blacksmith that Guts befriended would be the source of that massive sword of his. Really satisfying to see him whip it out and kill that monster that attacked Godo's home.

And that metal arm really is groovy.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TheLoneStar posted:

It wasn't that, really. That's what crushed his world. I don't think he realized how important Guts was to him until he lost him, as it always goes. Guts leaving destroyed him, and from that point on Guts was the only thing in his thoughts (Miura shows Griffith thinking of Guts even when he was having sex with Charlotte). But that itself is not really insanity. What really made Griffith lose his mind was 1) probably the year of intense torture. I mean, it's safe to say that played a role. 2) Seeing Casca and Guts together again. The last thread of sanity was severed when he overheard Guts and Casca talking about the possibility leaving the band together (the point at which Griffith stole the carriage). And that's why Griffith raped Casca and forced Guts to watch. His way of reasserting the dominance and control he felt he lost.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It wasn't that, really. That's what crushed his world. I don't think he realized how important Guts was to him until he lost him, as it always goes. Guts leaving destroyed him, and from that point on Guts was the only thing in his thoughts (Miura shows Griffith thinking of Guts even when he was having sex with Charlotte). But that itself is not really insanity. What really made Griffith lose his mind was 1) probably the year of intense torture. I mean, it's safe to say that played a role. 2) Seeing Casca and Guts together again. The last thread of sanity was severed when he overheard Guts and Casca talking about the possibility leaving the band together (the point at which Griffith stole the carriage). And that's why Griffith raped Casca and forced Guts to watch. His way of reasserting the dominance and control he felt he lost.
Very true, yeah. Griffith really became obsessed with those two. Wonder what would've happened if he hadn't overheard them talking about leaving...

And forgot to say, I had been wondering what that weird little monster-thing was that Guts kept seeing in the first few chapters. Never thought it was a stillborn(?) demon fetus. Jesus...

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

TheLoneStar posted:

Really makes me wonder how things would be if this had been where the manga started. Not as a flashback, but just the very start. That dramatic irony would be gone, but I wonder how much more of a punch Griffith's betrayal would've been if no one knew it was coming?
The anime was like this (it started with parts of the black swordsman arc, but did not contain the slug count and first griffith encounter), and as someone who watched that first with no idea what this series was about, it was very confusing. The element of foreboding isn't there in the same way because you don't know what the behelith does, and you don't know that Griffith is going to do something to become a demon god. The only thing you know is Guts is going to be alone and angry. So the Golden Age arc reads a lot more like Guts' story as opposed to the story of how Guts came to hate Griffith, you're just kind of following along as Guts gets more and more badass, then the Eclipse just comes out literally loving nowhere and is extremely, viscerally confusing.

It also does not contain the Skull Knight save so it leaves you flabbergasted at the end, it cuts with Guts losing his eye as his vision is covered with blood and last sight being Griffith raping caska, and then credit roll! The end! To add insult to injury, most anime seasons are 26 episodes long, but this anime ends at episode 25, so my first instinct was did I miss an episode?? Nope! That's the end! The only way the anime makes sense, as other mentioned, is if you then go back and watch the first episode, which connects all the dots and is pretty beautiful. But I had a friend who did not, he just ended up confused and moved on.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I do wonder what would have happened if the eclipse never occurred or if Griffith turned down the godhand's offer.

My theory is that Guts would have wound up King instead of Griffith.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheLoneStar posted:

Very true, yeah. Griffith really became obsessed with those two. Wonder what would've happened if he hadn't overheard them talking about leaving...

And forgot to say, I had been wondering what that weird little monster-thing was that Guts kept seeing in the first few chapters. Never thought it was a stillborn(?) demon fetus. Jesus...

Guts and Casca's kid

Its a difficult story there. I think the proper term is miscarriage. You'll learn more about them soon

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Disagree. :)

On the one hand Griffith never "lost his mind" or went insane. He was the same controlling ab/user the entire time. Going to Charlotte was tactically accurate: He was using her because the king would have to acquiesce if there was a child. It was a direct power play.

But what's being forgotten here is what Griffith himself says atop the hand after being told that his path was interrupted: Guts is the only one who made him forget his dream. Griffith had that dream firmly in his mind until that sword broke. As Dr just reminded us, Griffith was thinking about Guts, not Charlotte. About Guts, not the torture. About his hands around Guts' throat, not the Hawks. Hanging out with Guts and the armor, not what the Hawks were doing next.

The period where Griffith lost his dream? Sword to sacrifice.

Happy I'm gathering things to look for when I start the reread here, hopefully within the next week.

ps I'm not sure I've ever made sense of the move on Casca. Maybe he knew Guts was independent but wanted to see if Casca was going to stay because she still worshipped him or actually loved him instead of Guts? Or the fleeing, not sure what he hoped to achieve. (But again I'd say it's because he had "lost Guts so he had lost everything".)

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 24, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Lucasar posted:

Guts was chosen for the assassination mission because Griffith does not feel the need to maintain a veneer of nobility with him. This is because Guts is the only member of the Band of the Hawk who does not rely on Griffith. Guts does not need to believe in Griffith to be effective - think of why Corkus is so unnerved by Guts; he's not just jealous, Guts represents a real challenge to Griffith's cult of personality. Griffith would absolutely kill a child if it meant getting what he wanted, but he also wants to maintain his clean-cut reputation. His allowing Guts to see this side of him and then the following scene where Griffith talks of friendship has got to be one of the most important parts of the whole Golden Age.

It's arguably the pivotal moment, because it puts in Guts' head that his lack of a greater purpose means he can't stand shoulder to shoulder with Griffith as an equal and a friend. If that never happens then Guts doesn't try to leave the Hawks, which means Griffith doesn't go off the deep end and kick off bad times.

On the one hand Griffith never "lost his mind" or went insane. He was the same controlling ab/user the entire time. Going to Charlotte was tactically accurate: He was using her because the king would have to acquiesce if there was a child. It was a direct power play.

Marrying Charlotte as a means of seizing the throne was a good idea sure, but breaking into her room to bang her with no escape plan except hoping she'd get pregnant and the King would have to give up was not. Presumably had Guts never left Griffith would have tried to get Charlotte's hand but when it became clear the king was never going to let her marry anybody, Griffith would have bumped him off just as he did the queen and then swooped in to pick up Charlotte on the rebound.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 24, 2021

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
I think the eclipse always would have happened, even if Griffith didn't go to the princess and then to the jail. Causality and such, the Godhand would have gotten him there some other way.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Tactically accurate for sure, but extremely badly executed. A Griffith in his right mind would have waited patiently for a better moment. But this is Griffith screwing things up because of how badly his loss against Guts got to him. Griffith would never display any emotion that doesn't serve his purpose, so you'll never see anger or such on his face, the best way to spot that it gets to him is that he immediately takes an at that point unnecessary action that ruins him.

As for him not losing his mind - hard agree - he was always a narcissistic psychopathic murderous evil bastard with no room in his life for compassion.

quote:

I think the eclipse always would have happened, even if Griffith didn't go to the princess and then to the jail. Causality and such, the Godhand would have gotten him there some other way.
The god hand do not mention fate, but rather the 'threads of causality' and they are heavily alluding to some sort of ability to influence them but does not sound like they can directly influence fate. So if something were to disrupt the threads of causality - a butterfly flapping its wings in the wrong place, or someone outside causality such as the Skull Knight - things could have turned out differently. I think it is fair to say that the eclipse was bound to happen - but perhaps it could have happened with different people, with someone else than Griffith or the band of the hawks involved, if some event would have played out differently.

I think if the eclipse didn't happen, Guts and Caska would have just disappeared into the sunset and lived a troubled but merry life somewhere.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 24, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TheLoneStar posted:

As the Skull Knight said, Guts is in the "interstice" between realms. The manga will explain what that really means in due time so don't worry. Just know for now that Guts and Casca are basically demon magnets. Though you should also take note of all this "Age of Darkness" stuff. The rest of the world has not been unaffected.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Since first-time readers are past the Eclipse point I can finally link these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9iMfRBDf0

Also this is a really cool moment during the Eclipse from the movies :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sz9cgtNBgs

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 24, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheLoneStar posted:

Quoting this so you see- When you do go back to reread the opening arcs, especially the Count, pay attention to the Count's flash back

There's only 4 Godhand 7 years prior to that moment. Which is consistent with the timeline- Griffith only rose to power after the Count did.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Dumb question. Miura has said the story (the first part anyway) is based on a childhood/teenage experience. Has there been an indication of who it was in what circumstances? I really wonder what their thoughts were when they found out Miura died.

Second question (poor memory). Does Guts ever learn that the downfall occurred immediately after his departure? Casca obviously shares what they've been going through, but she's not a complete jerk so it doesn't seem likely she'd acknowledge much beyond "yeah it's me I'm pissed you left". Does anyone every actually say, "You destroyed Griffith"?

And since I was flipping through the eclipse checking Griffith's last line, I remembered my next reason to cry.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dumb question. Miura has said the story (the first part anyway) is based on a childhood/teenage experience. Has there been an indication of who it was in what circumstances? I really wonder what their thoughts were when they found out Miura died.

Second question (poor memory). Does Guts ever learn that the downfall occurred immediately after his departure? Casca obviously shares what they've been going through, but she's not a complete jerk so it doesn't seem likely she'd acknowledge much beyond "yeah it's me I'm pissed you left". Does anyone every actually say, "You destroyed Griffith"?

And since I was flipping through the eclipse checking Griffith's last line, I remembered my next reason to cry.

Corkus, in his only moment of trying to comfort Guts in his own weird way, actually does the opposite.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Berserk/comments/n3u1el/do_you_guys_think_corkus_was_just_telling_guts/

It's notably the only time he lies to Guts too. Every other time he's critical of Guts, he always has a point. This time, trying to spare Guts' feelings, he lies.

If on purpose or by accident, it's a reason he's a fascinating character.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

As the Skull Knight said, Guts is in the "interstice" between realms. The manga will explain what that really means in due time so don't worry. Just know for now that Guts and Casca are basically demon magnets. Though you should also take note of all this "Age of Darkness" stuff. The rest of the world has not been unaffected.
Alright, I'll keep that in mind. I just thought it was a lot worse for the rest of the world than it turns out to be. Though apparently it'll get worse.

Burkion posted:

Quoting this so you see- When you do go back to reread the opening arcs, especially the Count, pay attention to the Count's flash back

There's only 4 Godhand 7 years prior to that moment. Which is consistent with the timeline- Griffith only rose to power after the Count did.
Well, I didn't really intend to go back and reread. It's not a big enough deal for me to go back and do that. I guess The Count just joined the party when The Eclipse went down.

Speaking of which, back to present Guts. He's a lot less edgy so far, which is a good treat. Still really don't like Puck. Especially after he was (mostly) gone for so many chapters, having the constant comic relief character again makes me sigh a bit. Seems like that Elf lady is back though, or whatever she really is. I remember her from that massacre, which I'm sure Guts knows about by this point.

Also got a nice treat of Berserk's Prototype. Interesting to see how much things changed, yet stayed the same. Almost wish regular Guts had that eyepatch...

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 24, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

quote:

Miura: [In high school] I was in a group full of people saying they wanted to be manga artists, but were actually busy getting girlfriends and getting into fights, so they weren't really all that otaku. So I was basically the biggest manga nerd out of the bunch. It was a group of five, and I was pretty much the yellow ranger of the group: lagging behind in terms of emotional growth, but way ahead of the others in terms of drawing ability. I wasn't capable of making a story that would really make anyone feel much of anything, though.

So that information coming from outside – the other group members' love troubles and fights – was really new to me. Also, there's the fact that people who go into fine arts tend to be people with big egos who all have something that they're particularly good at, and so with these other guys showing off what they're good at, I wanted to find what I could do. Drawing, I decided, was my only option. The only way I could keep on equal footing with these guys was to make my mark as a manga artist. It became this strange obsession for me.

Interviewer: Is that idea that you had to stay on "equal footing" something that is reflected now in the relationship between Guts and Griffith?

Miura: Yes, it is, quite a bit. I don't know what relationships between boys these days are like, but back in the eighties, boys were really obsessed with stuff like how good their friends were at things, how highly they "ranked" in comparison to their friends, etc. For boys, friendship isn't about consoling each other. Sometimes you even try to take the other guy down a peg or two. But to break away from those friends would feel like admitting defeat, and you do help each other when you find some sort of goal. That's where the Band of the Hawk comes from.

Interviewer: I see – so, that core from your high school days has been transformed into the story in Berserk.

Miura: Right. I'd done some training to change that group of high school friends into a band of mercenaries by the time I was graduating university.

Interviewer: And you took that formative experience and put it into the sprawling original fantasy world of Berserk. When'd you come up with that idea? How much did you plan out at that point?

Miura: I'd hardly thought any of it out at first. I had no idea how far I'd be able to run with just that original idea for the manga, and I really hadn't come up with the idea for the Band of the Hawk at all. Aside from the monster-slaying black swordsman, I had this idea that it'd be easier to give him something to fight if I added the element of revenge to it, and that was about it.

Interviewer: That's true of the prototype story, but from the very start of the actual series we see Griffith's transformed self as well as Apostles and the God Hand, so it at least certainly seems like you had worked out quite a bit of the universe before starting it, though.

Miura: It looks that way now in retrospect, but up until volume three all I had in mind was that it would be a story about anger. In preparation for starting this series, first I asked myself what it was that I had to pay attention to, and what I decided was that I would make sure that the character was angry. So then I asked myself how to make him angry. There are a lot of ways to depict anger – there's the explosive kind of anger, but then there's the kind of anger where your face just loses its color and goes expressionless. I decided I would just focus on expressing anger and hope I'd find something to work with.

So how well I could evoke the fascinatingness of an angry person was going to make or break the manga at the start. Now, how do I go about making Guts angry? Depending on the answer, he might come out looking like a scary monster and seem inhuman, or maybe he'll be scary in a more human way. And so when the God Hand showed up in the manga, Griffith still wasn't all that important yet.

Interviewer: Really? I figured that you must've had the antagonism with Griffith in mind from the start.

Miura: I think there were a bunch of things overlapping in my mind, and they start coming together around the third volume of Berserk. First of all, if Guts is angry, there is going to have to be an object of that anger. So I asked myself what people get angry at, and, well, something you see a lot of is the murderer of one's parents, but as I already said, I was someone who friendship mattered a lot to, so the idea of making the target of Guts's anger a friend, or at least a man of the same general age, naturally came to mind. So I put that character in, but then I have to give the reason why Guts is angry. So then we have the Band of the Hawk, where I make use of my own past.

Interviewer: So it was the idea of creating an "equal" character for your protagonist that brought out these things from inside yourself.

Miura: I'm not sure if this works as a lesson to take away from this, but like I said before, when you're working hard on something, sometimes you just hit upon the right thing and it all starts falling into place. I myself am someone not very good at planning, but when you stop and think about the manga you've already made, I think you'll find that there was some sort of reason behind it. Assuming you don't have multiple personalities or something.

Interviewer: It's all connected on a subconscious level, you're saying.

Miura: And if I dig into that enough, it comes together as a story. It's not something done intentionally.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

These bug people are so freaky. Some of these Berserk monsters have shown up in my dreams, whether I want them to or not. Really effective.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The fact that Miura started the series and got two volumes in without knowing what it would ultimately be about makes a lot of sense now. It also explains why Guts' edginess comes off as a bit hollow at first, in my opinion.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Kart Barfunkel posted:

These bug people are so freaky. Some of these Berserk monsters have shown up in my dreams, whether I want them to or not. Really effective.
Really love the monster designs so far. All sorts of freaks of various shapes and sizes and limbs and eyes and claws. Truly feels like they crawled straight out of Hell.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Bisse posted:

I think if the eclipse didn't happen, Guts and Caska would have just disappeared into the sunset and lived a troubled but merry life somewhere.

Where my little fan theory comes from is that quite a few thing probably would still have happened without Griffith sacrificing The Hawks. Like the Kushan invasion probably would have still happened, however with the original Hawks still around things might have progessed quite differently.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The fact that Miura started the series and got two volumes in without knowing what it would ultimately be about makes a lot of sense now. It also explains why Guts' edginess comes off as a bit hollow at first, in my opinion.

Its when he starts making the comparisons between himself and Vargas that I feel like the edginess dulls and the true character shines

So that lines up pretty perfectly yeah. That's when he started figuring it out himself.

The entire final moment with Theresia is a stand out because that was him genuinely trying to help her the only way he understood anymore and it destroyed him to make someone else like him again.

That's probably the cruelest thing he ever does and I believe is the last time we see him crying, and its right before we smack into the Golden Age. It also lines up perfectly with The Lost Children and what happens there

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Just finished Lost Children, and it was pretty depressing. I feel bad for Rosine, even though she really had to be put down. Got turned into a demon without knowing what she was really doing and clearly went completely insane as a result. And it seems like Guts is going to keep traumatizing children by slaughtering those they hold dear. Speaking of which, I'm glad Guts' edginess went down for this. Went from giving a girl a knife to slit her wrist with to just telling Jill to go home because it's too dangerous for her to be with him. Interested to see how the knightly order will play into things, the one that's chasing Guts down.

And I know I sound like a broken record but holy poo poo I hate Puck. He's actually gotten worse with all the pop culture references he keeps making. Especially since him and Guts have the same interaction five times a chapter.

Guts says something mean.
Puck gets mad at him and asks him how he could be so cruel.
Guts ignores him or flicks him away.

Probably happened at least a dozen times in this arc alone. Makes it worse because Puck has no real reason to even be with Guts. He just kind of wants to, as far as he'll admit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

David D. Davidson posted:

Where my little fan theory comes from is that quite a few thing probably would still have happened without Griffith sacrificing The Hawks. Like the Kushan invasion probably would have still happened, however with the original Hawks still around things might have progessed quite differently.

Honestly the fact that "where Griffith's behelit would have activated" can create dozens of equally compelling alternate versions of the Berserk universe is a testament to how well the whole conceit works. Really, top-notch stuff when you get down to it.

TheLoneStar posted:

Really love the monster designs so far. All sorts of freaks of various shapes and sizes and limbs and eyes and claws. Truly feels like they crawled straight out of Hell.
Yeah if there's one thing Miura never, ever whiffs on it's the monster designs. Dude had to do hard research for medieval stuff like armor and architecture and it paid off, but he never seemed to have trouble coming up with nightmare creatures.

Also it is otaku supreme to see Miura call his high school self "the yellow ranger of the group: lagging behind in terms of emotional growth, but way ahead of the others in terms of drawing ability" is some :discourse: primo poo poo. Really wish I could have bought the dude a steak or something in appreciation.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Puck is annoying but also that arc has that great page of Guts saying he can't take himself that seriously whenever puck is around with the closest thing to a smile on his face.

Edit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Put together with the later arcs it becomes tragic-- after all the development and self-actualization he got in the Golden Age, the trauma of the Eclipse caused Guts to regress into the worst parts of himself. The way he gradually gets past the no-touching thing only for it to come roaring back is especially sad. I think it's a testament to Miura's skills that the super-edgy, seat-of-the-pants storytelling from the opening arc ends up looking planned.

Opening scene of Guts banging demon lady notwithstanding. It's so goofy I'd never change it for the world, though.