Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone ever replace the oil filler tube on a 996/997?

I'm debating the best way to get access to where is bolts to the crankcase. I think I might be able to get to it from the side if I remove the alternator otherwise from the top taking off the throttle body. I'm not sure which would be preferred or more likely to guarantee access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have not done it but I have seen others do it by removing the alternator and popping off some vacuum lines.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to try for. I think when I did a AOS I had the alternator out and I don't remember it being too crazy.

I also think I might of had the throttle body out too though :lol:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

This is a terrible time to try and find a good 911. Nothing but garbage everywhere.

the Hot Deals thread on Rennlist 991 forum is a blast......everyone just needs to hide for like 18 more months until poo poo settles down, then pounce.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
This is a scam right... ?

https://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/d/russell-springs-porsche-911-carrera/7325958379.html

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Wow it has PASM and the sports steering wheel. Does seem too good to be true

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You couldn't find a legitimate non-crashed (and unrepaired) 997S for $22k right right now even if it was missing the engine.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I also found this in a slightly different region's craiglist... https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/union-audi-rs4/7325509757.html

edit: could it be an estate?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

I also found this in a slightly different region's craiglist... https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/union-audi-rs4/7325509757.html

edit: could it be an estate?

That's different. That car is a piece of poo poo that requires partially pulling the engine to change O2 sensors among other bullshit packaging problems.

The timing chains are on the back of the motor, which needs to be pulled obvious, and look like this:

And has a service interval of 80 to 120k miles.

Those cars are 100% unmaintainble/not worth maintaining garbage now.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

show me on the doll where the audi hurt you

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

show me on the doll where the audi hurt you

<palms the entire doll with both hands>

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The 4.2 v8 had the plastic guided wear out or was is the one where the chains would stretch? Either way not heard anything good about them.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

BigPaddy posted:

The 4.2 v8 had the plastic guided wear out or was is the one where the chains would stretch? Either way not heard anything good about them.
Guides and tensioners IIRC, if it's the same issue as plagued whatever generation S4 I was looking at that had the 4.2L v8.

Motronic posted:

I'm not comfortable saying in this stupidest of timelines, where in this very thread a year or so ago I was saying "wait for it, wait for it....we're all gonna be able to buy cheap used Porsches!"
I've gone from "I've grossly overpaid for this 911" to "maybe I should sell my 911 for a quick and substantial profit" in like three months.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

I pinged them for the VIN for the lulz. Let's see how this thing goes.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

Thanks. Unfortunately they don't make PS4S in the right size. Pirelli are telling the Porsche shop they don't do the EV version in that size either, so my choice is either the F1s or P Zeros in non EV version. So.... Pirellis?

Having told me they didn't exist, the garage has fitted EV spec P Zeros to my car. Switching to summer tyres feels like it's sharpened up the steering a notch, it was a blast to drive in the foothills yesterday.

I think the 21in wheels look great.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gvibes posted:

I've gone from "I've grossly overpaid for this 911" to "maybe I should sell my 911 for a quick and substantial profit" in like three months.

Same, except that I would never sell it without knowing what I'd replace it with. I've realized that I become a sad husk of a man without having a Fun Car To Drive To Work On Friday And On The Weekends.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Other than being an early 2006, suspect IMS, and 96k miles anyone see any red flags on this Cayman S? http://www.buycbb.com/Details-9666-Used-2006-PORSCHE-Cayman-S-Near_Scottsdale_AZ--WP0AB29806U780151

One of the first I've seen with most of the options I want: manual, PASM, sport wheel, sport chrono, bose and bi-xenon. Would prefer sport seats but they seem stupidly rare.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 24, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That is almost identical to my Boxster S and not far from me. I could head over and take a look if you were interested.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Something looks off with the nose. Both the color and lining up with the frunk just don't quite look right.

Also, that website layout is terrible and hurts my eyes

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

slidebite posted:

Something looks off with the nose. Both the color and lining up with the frunk just don't quite look right.

Also, that website layout is terrible and hurts my eyes

Agree the color is weirdly off. Which is a pity, because the spec is great. I particularly like the lobster fork wheels, which are relatively light (only the sport designs are lighter)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BigPaddy at this point I'm still trying to decide if I wait for a 987.2 in my spec, buy a cheaper 987.1 or hold out for a 911SC or older air cooled. If you're looking for an excuse to go for a drive I'd appreciate it but don't go out of your way.

Slidebite you're right, that front does look mismatched. Carfax is clean which doesn't mean poo poo and the thing has been through five owners. For 96k that bumper is lacking normal wear and tear I'd expect, wonder if at some point someone did a quick respray. Also that site took a half hour for the car to even appear, it's garbage.

I wonder what the little switch under the parking brake handle is connected to.

edit: There's also this one which isn't on their website but exact same spec (according to vinanylitics) https://spokane.craigslist.org/ctd/d/tacoma-2006-porsche-cayman-coupe-cayman/7325466325.html 59k miles, $30k

edit edit: I am still waiting for a friend to figure out a price and get back to me on a 70's 2.7L car. I have no idea what price he's going to come in at and if it'll even be in my budget. It'll also be much worse as a daily drive but I love the old cars.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 24, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

Also that site took a half hour for the car to even appear, it's garbage.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WP0AB29806U780151/2006-porsche-cayman/

It is also listed on TrueCar, which is a little bit better. It went through this place after being sold at auction with 95k miles, which seems like one of those smaller dealers that buys cars from auction, cleans them up a bit, and sells them. Probably where the front and maybe rear bumpers got sprayed.

e: just realized I forgot to link the place I was talking about - https://www.paramountautos.com/

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 24, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

the thing has been through five owners.

That's pretty much a red flag to me on something of this age and type.

Something isn't right, and it may be something that is even less obvious than bodywork that manifests after you've owned it for a bit. Why else would this particular example be getting turned over so frequently?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Dunno if it’s different in the states but over here it’s not unusual for anything half decent to change owners every six months. Lots of people ticking off their bucket list and/or making GBS threads themselves when it comes to maintenance.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

making GBS threads themselves when it comes to maintenance.
That isn't a reassuring thought.

Looks like maybe those options aren't as rare as I thought digging through FB marketplace, they just aren't usually listed. Easy enough to go through a ton of listing and ignore anything that isn't manual and doesn't have the PASM button. I still need to drive one before I think about a fly-n-drive or having a car shipped.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 24, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

When I was looking around there was a lot of the same, cars with 5-6 owners over their lives which is not uncommon for something that is not a daily driver. I lucked out on a one owner full service history car within reasonable distance but my 986 had 4 prior owners and full service history. The service history is more important that owners imo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

Dunno if it’s different in the states but over here it’s not unusual for anything half decent to change owners every six months. Lots of people ticking off their bucket list and/or making GBS threads themselves when it comes to maintenance.

BigPaddy posted:

When I was looking around there was a lot of the same, cars with 5-6 owners over their lives which is not uncommon for something that is not a daily driver. I lucked out on a one owner full service history car within reasonable distance but my 986 had 4 prior owners and full service history. The service history is more important that owners imo.

So maybe then? But the bulk of the ones around here that are worth looking at have maybe an owner for a couple years, then another owner every 3 or 4. Every 6 months would be ludicrous to me even on a new car.

This thing is 15 years old so I guess it's plausible? But I'd be re interested in the distribution of owners. If the last few (as this car is worth less) are flipping in regularly that's not what I would consider a good sign.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

If a car has flipped a bunch of times in a short period of time then yes there is something wrong. If it has a new owner ever 2-3 years over a couple of decades that is more what I would expect.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I found their website

https://automotorsale.com/

I've never seen a full blown site like this though.

When I messaged them about the RS4 in the cincy craigslist they said it was in Tallahassee FL.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

I've never seen a full blown site like this though.

When I messaged them about the RS4 in the cincy craigslist they said it was in Tallahassee FL.

Lol this is a remarketing/broker site as best.

It's probably worse than that and they own/authorized to sell nothing and are just looking for arbitrage opportunities. Or even worse, just leads.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Motronic posted:

Lol this is a remarketing/broker site as best.

It's probably worse than that and they own/authorized to sell nothing and are just looking for arbitrage opportunities. Or even worse, just leads.

The RS4 listing was lifted verbatim from another, seemingly actual dealer from last year. Exact same photos and odometer. That site shows it having sold then for $20k and it's listed for 15 here. WTF is going on? Where even is the car? The address the guy gave me in FL is for the shadiest looking buy here pay here type of deal you've ever seen. Like 3 star body shop. For 15,5 they claimed they would ship it to me for free. Would it be on fire?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If you don't want it to be on fire, you have to pay with a money order in advance.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Ask if they will take iTunes gift cards.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

The RS4 listing was lifted verbatim from another, seemingly actual dealer from last year. Exact same photos and odometer. That site shows it having sold then for $20k and it's listed for 15 here. WTF is going on? Where even is the car? The address the guy gave me in FL is for the shadiest looking buy here pay here type of deal you've ever seen. Like 3 star body shop. For 15,5 they claimed they would ship it to me for free. Would it be on fire?

Understand that people "bottom feeding" $20k-ish Porsches are, not here but in general, dead money. This is the stupid guy you invite to your poker game that absolutely will throw in every bit of cash he's got just to be able to play along with who he thinks are the people he wants to be.

BigPaddy posted:

Ask if they will take iTunes gift cards.

lol this.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

Big same. The thought of making a significant profit even after 6 years of ownership is starting to weight heavily.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I can't get that silver 996 out of my dome so I'm considering trying to buy it next week. 22k for a 996.1 w/ 65k, even if it's a stripper model, and the IMS done just can't be anywhere near beat in today's market. And I don't see the market going anywhere but up. These are the things I say right before buying the top. It's also my favorite color combo, beyond exotic/rare ones.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

I can't get that silver 996 out of my dome so I'm considering trying to buy it next week. 22k for a 996.1 w/ 65k, even if it's a stripper model, and the IMS done just can't be anywhere near beat in today's market. And I don't see the market going anywhere but up. These are the things I say right before buying the top. It's also my favorite color combo, beyond exotic/rare ones.

I think the worst, saddest car purchases are made by people who logic it all out and then realize 6 months after the fact that they were never truly in love. So it's good that you can't get it out of your head. Do you feel it in your heart as well?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

When it is a toy then your heart has to be in it because it is not a logical thing to begin with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And if your heart says you want to take a shot at a $22k 996, and you can afford a $22k toy car, then go for it. You're not getting "optimal" in this market unless you're willing to overpay even more.

If it passes a PPI it should be plenty of fun to toss around and has a very very good chance of not be deleterious to your wallet.

If I missed something and this is not intended to be a toy but a primary vehicle I'm not sure if I'd give the same advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Motronic posted:

And if your heart says you want to take a shot at a $22k 996, and you can afford a $22k toy car, then go for it. You're not getting "optimal" in this market unless you're willing to overpay even more.
This is it. If you can afford it, and you're not ruining yourself if the car becomes a money pit, fill your boots.

If you do seriously want it, maybe check a few more things on it if you haven't yet. IE: check engine vacuum with the oil filler cap off as it helps diagnose AOS service which absolutely is a wear part, and not a super small job.

Try to be there with a cold start, IE: Overnight. A little noise is normal (from what I understand, mine is horrific and scared the gently caress out of me.. but here I am 4 years later) but it should go away almost immediately.

Make sure the rear spoiler auto deploys and check it for rips/tears on the wall. Super common as they age, as it's ton of air pressure it's redirecting and it likes to tear as the rubber ages.

Also check the 3rd brake light (both of them) for bulbs out. Very common as well and the whole strip needs to be replaced.

Remember tires are not cheap nor is insurance if you're a young guy so make sure you can afford to drive it and check on that first.

And please, I'm not trying to infer anything here as I do not know you, but if at any time you have 2nd thoughts on the financial side of things, just do not do it.

Don't be car poor for a 22+ year old car which WILL need maintenance. It WILL need work, at some time *WILL* be major. They're not a horrible pain in the rear end to work on if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, but it certainly isn't an 1981 280ZX either. If you are stretching it financially and aren't comfortable working on it yourself, just don't.

Red guy never got back to you hey?