Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Can’t wait to see even more batshit things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Darkcore Neo-Catholicism.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
honestly if they don't just double down and make this weirder and weirder i will be disappointed. you ripped the band-aid off with that last episode so let's do this poo poo.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

:yeshaha:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The name Nerva has to be a Doctor Who reference, right? To the Ark In Space, the episode which might have inspired Ridley Scott's Alien.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gazaar posted:

Darkcore Neo-Catholicism.

Random Dark Souls costumes...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Whenever I try to talk about this show I end up babbling about how Mother needs blood so she takes the rapist's blood but then while Mother is off cybering with an AI pretending to be her creator who is going to impregnate her with a flying snake the rapist reverses the blood flow and becomes super powered so they have to get the android head off him and pitch it off a cliff so his pyramid head helmet will kill him

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Mother can't weaponise without her weapon eyes :o

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Whenever I try to talk about this show I end up babbling about how Mother needs blood so she takes the rapist's blood but then while Mother is off cybering with an AI pretending to be her creator who is going to impregnate her with a flying snake the rapist reverses the blood flow and becomes super powered so they have to get the android head off him and pitch it off a cliff so his pyramid head helmet will kill him

AXSHUALLY

Mother's blood is reversed after she scans a metallic tablet with infidel tarot card pictagrams which causes her to visualize an ancient birthing ritual that would be the result of an AI impregnating her after catfishing the role of her creator.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I always thought the implication was that the AI was co-opting the serial rapist, and not that he got lucky.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

General Battuta posted:

space chandeliers posted:

AXSHUALLY

Mother's blood is reversed after she scans a metallic tablet with infidel tarot card pictagrams which causes her to visualize an ancient birthing ritual that would be the result of an AI impregnating her after catfishing the role of her creator.

I seriously have no idea how some people don't like this show.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

I think it's the opposite. Someone said earlier that the tablets were linked to the force working against the AI, as evidenced by Paul's destruction of them after influence by the voice he hears (who we could assume is the AI at this point, who knows). She scans the tablet, then it gives her a foreboding vision as well as somehow causing the blood flow to reverse. This serves to kill the baby. Roiding up the rapist was a side effect.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

honestly insanely catfished, mother should be embarrassed

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

cat snaked

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Strong ex-boyfriend jealousy energy from Father

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
got ya, snaked ya!

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

space chandeliers posted:

Strong ex-boyfriend jealousy energy from Father

And his weak rear end still jumps in a hole with her. Dude just can't give it up.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I already love Mother and Father so much, how can I cope with a Grandmother??

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Looks like they're doing The Garden Of Eden next season. I'm trying to work out who the Lillith analogue will be this season.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
That little poo poo campion is absolutely gonna chomp any apples the undunkable snake baby offers him without hesitation, and he’ll still get clowned on by ragnar jr afterwards

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

That little poo poo campion is absolutely gonna chomp any apples the undunkable snake baby offers him without hesitation, and he’ll still get clowned on by ragnar jr afterwards

good

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Flying Robot Snake needs to return as soon as possible.

I DEMAND MORE FLYING ROBOT SNAKE.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

honestly if they don't just double down and make this weirder and weirder i will be disappointed. you ripped the band-aid off with that last episode so let's do this poo poo.

yeah it's really the only way forward

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Given what happened in the finale, pretty sure it's going to be the other way around.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

General Battuta posted:

This series is total loving madness and I really vibe with it.

When I have recommended it to friends I've had to caveat with 'it's my kinda thing and there is a very good chance you won't gel with it very much, or the plot weirdness will get to you, and that's absolutely fine - I can totally understand why somebody would feel that way and have no real argument against it if that's you.'

Anyway they all hated it. I'm looking forward to S2 though. Show loving rules.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Very cruel to resurrect this thread a year before the new season hits. You don't toy with people's feelings like this

Hell yeah, this show is awesome and I started drinking more milk because of it so it had a very positive effect on my life. I don't know what I would do if they cancel it, probably quit milk for life

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheriff Falc posted:

Anyway they all hated it.

Mission Accomplished?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sheriff Falc posted:

This series is total loving madness and I really vibe with it.

When I have recommended it to friends I've had to caveat with 'it's my kinda thing and there is a very good chance you won't gel with it very much, or the plot weirdness will get to you, and that's absolutely fine - I can totally understand why somebody would feel that way and have no real argument against it if that's you.'

Anyway they all hated it. I'm looking forward to S2 though. Show loving rules.
While I love the weirdness of the show, I will admit that it's bogged down in some bad dragged-out character drama that I wish was cut.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
To expand on my previous point I think the show doesn't play well for a broad audience because it casts a very wide net of stuff that can and will turn people off. I recommended the show to 3 different people who I would describe as pretty average audience members (ie not sci-fi diehards or Ridley Scott superfans but keen enough to jump in to the show based on the trailer, which was very good) and they all bounced off it for various reasons. I think of the 3 people, 1 will likely watch S2. The things I recall them mentioning:

1. Not terrific child acting, particularly in the first few episodes - and a lot of focus on a couple of child actors' characters arcs, so it's hard to ignore and just focus on other parts of the show. One person I recommended the show to just really hated Campion's actor and couldn't get past that so they stopped watching
2. A pretty complex sci-fi plot with plenty of different-than-usual plot/writing decisions (calling it plot holes is probably not completely accurate) to pick at if that's something that pisses you off - and a few horror movie trope 'characters acting idiosyncratically or illogically in order to advance the plot because otherwise the plot would be boring' moments. Mother chillin' alone in the forest having cyber with her boyfriend is the biggy
3. A very irregular protagonist (and deuteragonist for the most part in space Ragnar) who isn't really 'good' or 'bad' and due to the specific nature of her character the actor has to both underperform and overperform the character at different times. For a couple of people I have spoken to about this show the whiplash they got from Mother's performance was a big factor in their overall dislike or indifference to the show. One person mentioned that Mother basically exterminating most of the remaining members of the human race (as far as you know at that point) at the end of the first episode meant they had a lot of trouble with the parts of the plot in later episodes which were designed to flesh out Mother's character and make her seem more relatable/human. Mother was really the highlight of the show for me but there you go. I think for a lot of the average audience member or somebody who's not really specifically invested in anything else about the show it can be pretty uncomfortable watching when you're not exactly rooting for anybody to succeed and are just sort of along for the ride
4. Goofy sci-fi aesthetic, particularly for the first episode or two (most obvious in the first half of the first episode) before it shifts tonally into something with a lot more texture
5. The plot pacing and focus shifts dramatically in the last 3 episodes or so, and one person I recommended the show to mentioned the gear shift from the first 7 episodes into the last 3 felt poorly executed

Then, if you are cool with all that stuff for the first ~8.5 episodes and stick with it, Ridley hits you square in the jaw with the goddamn

Flying space snake aborted fetus vomit birth
Eyeball consumption fatality
Planetary core adventure DLC
Dodecahedron dream sequences
Talc powder boi
and whatever other weird poo poo I forgot about

This show was never going to be everyone's cup of tea, but the fact it's just so different to basically everything else on TV at the moment is what also makes it extremely My poo poo. I know 3 people isn't exactly a scientific sample size, but my biggest fear is that the show is alienating too much of its potential audience with the above and S2 will get a lot less viewership because of it, causing the show to not get renewed and then we have to wonder what the gently caress is in the dodecahedron for the rest of eternity.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It was never gonna get a big audience with how crazy balls it is. But Amazon is desperate for content so that might help. Regardless of how many seasons it gets I’m sure it’ll leave everyone feeling they’re missing something because that’s just the kind of show it is.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Bad people with wrong opinions and boring brains and lacklustre, milkless souls will dislike this show

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
your blood is not milk, your argument is invalid.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Sheriff Falc posted:

To expand on my previous point I think the show doesn't play well for a broad audience because it casts a very wide net of stuff that can and will turn people off. I recommended the show to 3 different people who I would describe as pretty average audience members (ie not sci-fi diehards or Ridley Scott superfans but keen enough to jump in to the show based on the trailer, which was very good) and they all bounced off it for various reasons. I think of the 3 people, 1 will likely watch S2. The things I recall them mentioning:

1. Not terrific child acting, particularly in the first few episodes - and a lot of focus on a couple of child actors' characters arcs, so it's hard to ignore and just focus on other parts of the show. One person I recommended the show to just really hated Campion's actor and couldn't get past that so they stopped watching
2. A pretty complex sci-fi plot with plenty of different-than-usual plot/writing decisions (calling it plot holes is probably not completely accurate) to pick at if that's something that pisses you off - and a few horror movie trope 'characters acting idiosyncratically or illogically in order to advance the plot because otherwise the plot would be boring' moments. Mother chillin' alone in the forest having cyber with her boyfriend is the biggy
3. A very irregular protagonist (and deuteragonist for the most part in space Ragnar) who isn't really 'good' or 'bad' and due to the specific nature of her character the actor has to both underperform and overperform the character at different times. For a couple of people I have spoken to about this show the whiplash they got from Mother's performance was a big factor in their overall dislike or indifference to the show. One person mentioned that Mother basically exterminating most of the remaining members of the human race (as far as you know at that point) at the end of the first episode meant they had a lot of trouble with the parts of the plot in later episodes which were designed to flesh out Mother's character and make her seem more relatable/human. Mother was really the highlight of the show for me but there you go. I think for a lot of the average audience member or somebody who's not really specifically invested in anything else about the show it can be pretty uncomfortable watching when you're not exactly rooting for anybody to succeed and are just sort of along for the ride
4. Goofy sci-fi aesthetic, particularly for the first episode or two (most obvious in the first half of the first episode) before it shifts tonally into something with a lot more texture
5. The plot pacing and focus shifts dramatically in the last 3 episodes or so, and one person I recommended the show to mentioned the gear shift from the first 7 episodes into the last 3 felt poorly executed

Then, if you are cool with all that stuff for the first ~8.5 episodes and stick with it, Ridley hits you square in the jaw with the goddamn

Flying space snake aborted fetus vomit birth
Eyeball consumption fatality
Planetary core adventure DLC
Dodecahedron dream sequences
Talc powder boi
and whatever other weird poo poo I forgot about

This show was never going to be everyone's cup of tea, but the fact it's just so different to basically everything else on TV at the moment is what also makes it extremely My poo poo. I know 3 people isn't exactly a scientific sample size, but my biggest fear is that the show is alienating too much of its potential audience with the above and S2 will get a lot less viewership because of it, causing the show to not get renewed and then we have to wonder what the gently caress is in the dodecahedron for the rest of eternity.

this show could go on for 20 seasons and you're still going to be left wondering what is going on

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

It was never gonna get a big audience with how crazy balls it is. But Amazon is desperate for content so that might help. Regardless of how many seasons it gets I’m sure it’ll leave everyone feeling they’re missing something because that’s just the kind of show it is.

man that sucks for Amazon since it's an HBO show.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

CODChimera posted:

this show could go on for 20 seasons and you're still going to be left wondering what is going on

By Season 20 the show will have been revealed to be a project secretly created as the direct sequel to Lost and we'll all still be wondering whether everyone on the island is dead or not.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

man that sucks for Amazon since it's an HBO show.

lol

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Sheriff Falc posted:

By Season 20 the show will have been revealed to be a project secretly created as the direct sequel to Lost and we'll all still be wondering whether everyone on the island is dead or not.

If whosit and whatsherface were buried alive on the Island and the island was really purgatory then are they really double dead or

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The island was never purgatory!!! :goonsay:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Lost never had anyone as cool as Mother and Father so we're already ahead of the game even if it never starts making sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

General Battuta posted:

The island was never purgatory!!! :goonsay:

They can do that whole "the Island was friends we met along the way" bs all they want, it was purgatory.