Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Captain Fargle posted:

This got posted ages back but I just got done watching it and wanted to signal boost it. An extremely comprehensive and thoughtful look at a lot of subjects that are very important and personal to me. Cannot recommend it enough and thank you Sarcopenia for introducing me to it.
You're welcome! It's kind of amazing how the majority of her content is about problematic stuff, but never really gets too uncomfortable because she manages to be so thoughtful about the way she talks about and presents it.

Another lovely and thoughtful creator, LadyKnightTheBrave, did another thorough video essay. This time it is on the movie 1917.
Ladyknightthebrave - "In The Moment: A 1917 Video Essay"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a9HaeQhf7k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

watho posted:

this take will always drive me crazy because like yeah love triangles can be trite and cliche but there’s like a very palpable “conflict and drama bad, only easy fluff” aura coming off it. like polyamory can be a solution to love triangles for sure but it’s not One Weird Trick For Good Storytelling
There are folks out there who've somehow managed to convince themselves the Comics Code is a good template for writing - heroes must not have conflict, only enemies can be bad. Like, maybe as a "baby's first fanfic" that makes sense to start with less nuance, but the amount of people who want homogenized fluff as all media baffles me.

Captain Fargle posted:

RE4 was very much renowned on release for how good it was at making you go "OH poo poo! OH gently caress! gently caress! gently caress! FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK...." and became extremely influential on gaming as a whole because of it. It's a different kind of horror than you initially think of when people talk about "Horror" but it is very effective at it.

The impact of it has been dulled somewhat by the development of the medium over the past 15 years but at the time there was nothing else like it.
I mean, most survival horror games before RE4 had "shoot the monster" as an option, it was just nobody had the control scheme down enough to make that something a player enjoyed doing. Before that they accidentally had the "main character is horribly ineffectual versus a monster" mechanic down, even when the character wasn't supposed to be. This newer horror was "I'm actually effective against the monsters, but holy poo poo they're coming out of the walls!"

Then by RE6 Capcom had thrown the baby out with the bathwater and had decided the broader audience was Gears Of Horror.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I didn't really appreciate Mr-X because he would get in the way of puzzles. So I had to kite him to the other side of the building and then run back and continue them.

Once you figured out his "spawns" you could cheese it by collecting and doing everything possible before activating him. Which would then shift him all the way to the other side of the difficulty spectrum.

I didn't really understand what the game wanted me to do with lickers. The game makes a big thing out of sneaking around them and it's genuinely thrilling to pull off. You also save a ton of ammo in a game where you need every bullet.

Then it puts Mr-X on your tail and now you have to kill every single licker you snuck around or fight them and Mr-X together

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

What did Shoe and Vaush do today?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Feliday Melody posted:

https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1396592520881135619?s=21

Shoe, to the best of my knowledge, is insisting that kids must be kept away from drag and the like and has a bunch of folks callouts people who disagree with this pedophiles

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021

stillvisions posted:

There are folks out there who've somehow managed to convince themselves the Comics Code is a good template for writing - heroes must not have conflict, only enemies can be bad. Like, maybe as a "baby's first fanfic" that makes sense to start with less nuance, but the amount of people who want homogenized fluff as all media baffles me.

A ton of people like and enjoy the lighter Silver Age stories that came as a result of the comics code, and they're a meaningful inspiration to modern creators as well. You're basically doing the exact thing you're criticizing these people of doing, declaring someone to be a bad person based on their media preferences.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkIcRqEEUq8
Chip and Grant go over episodes 4-6 of JJBA Pt 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BrG-aA9v6w
And here they are with their latest FFVII R LP

Also I've been following Bobbinthreadbare's Witcher 3 LP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm1FG7lt2yc&t=614s

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

watho posted:

this take will always drive me crazy because like yeah love triangles can be trite and cliche but there’s like a very palpable “conflict and drama bad, only easy fluff” aura coming off it. like polyamory can be a solution to love triangles for sure but it’s not One Weird Trick For Good Storytelling
It is hilarious that this is being said by someone who has 100% gotten mad that she has mutuals with a posting enemy.

Like is this a case where someone just forgets that they've had friends who were friends with people they don't like, or do they think there something special about a romantic relationship that precludes that sort of issue?

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 24, 2021

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

polyamory is a terrible solution to a conflict based around jealousy and exclusivity, which most love triangles are.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
what's the deal with shoe0nhead. her takes are lukewarm social democrat at their very best and outright regressive much of the rest of the time. her following seems to be based around her looking like boxxy?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Feliday Melody posted:

Don't know about Shoe but Vaush was on about how, during Pride, people in the kink community should not be using the Pride as an excuse to do exhibitionist poo poo. Especially close to kids. He used a picture of a couple of guys in dog muzzles with a kid during a Pride as an example. But also mentioned people going around naked and such, cause it feeds into the right wing notion that we're all sex obsessed degenerates. Which isn't a bad point, in all honesty, if not for the way that he delivered it is absolutely dog poo poo. I mean hell, you want to celebrate Pride with kinky poo poo? Just go to a gay club in the evenings or have a private party.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

thetoughestbean posted:

Shoe, to the best of my knowledge, is insisting that kids must be kept away from drag and the like and has a bunch of folks callouts people who disagree with this pedophiles
This take is insanely frustrating. Like yeah keep kids away from obviously adult stuff sure but please stop including 'not being straight' in your definition of 'adult' please.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
edit: nevermind

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 24, 2021

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

kink is many things, with differing levels of societal acceptability and visibility. Define which ones you consider harmful and we can start having a productive conversation.

also shoe posts reactionarily so much that it's hard to take her about-face seriously at this point.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Are we really going to do "kink at pride" discourse here? In this thread? God help us all

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah please do not pursue this topic

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

my read has always been that shoeonhead's takes and ideological stances mostly pivot around what drives engagement. it's weird to me that she is taken seriously by people

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

there’s something very ironic about vaush making arguments about keeping sexuality away from children

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

watho posted:

there’s something very ironic about vaush making arguments about keeping sexuality away from children

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The fight around drag queen story hour has been strange to me forever because I always thought drag was supposed to be a fun, campy thing rather than a sex thing. Sure, some people get off on it and the idea of it, but some people get off to sweaters, so I didn't really consider that. Drag shows are usually presented as just a good time rather than a time where people get all hot, especially because much of drag is over the top.

But the reaction to it is like if it was "watch men masturbate hour" and it's so weird. I never got the idea that it was a kink, but rather just a fun way to play with gender norms.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

thetoughestbean posted:

Saying that Drag queens are inherently sexual shows you view queerness as inherently sexual and taboo still.

gently caress off.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

If your stright and cis, you have no say on how queer people act in public. Especially during pride.

gently caress off.

How is this a hard concept, especially for liberals?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Shoe is and has always been a bog standard American liberal reactionary, she is just barely smart enough to realize that throwing out the occasional bit of lip service to pop leftism means she gets views and clicks from the kind of people that think listening to chapo is praxis

BigRed0427 posted:

https://twitter.com/probirdrights/status/368542088897372161?s=21

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Jimquisition - The One Thing Millennials Did Kill

https://youtu.be/wj1ZBfuXMvA

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Also, these takes keep forgetting that queer kids do exist.

Seriously, who the gently caress was giving shoenon head thr benefit of a doubt?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

If your stright and cis, you have no say on how queer people act in public. Especially during pride.

gently caress off.

Not going to get into her take, but for the record shoe isn't straight

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Oh...sorry.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The clip in question for vaush
https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1396219951065796610

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

watho posted:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gwen posted:

polyamory is a terrible solution to a conflict based around jealousy and exclusivity, which most love triangles are.

This is a good point but I honestly feel like there are a ton of those that end up in this "oh I'm happy you're happy with them unfortunately this means we can't be together" and it would be kinda cool to see more "huh, maybe we can also be together" as a resolution. Like, I can only think of Sense8 when I think about polyamory/non-monogamic relationships being portrayed on media positively.

Also going with that doesn't mean you can't write conflict and drama in...quite the opposite, really.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sorting Algorithms posted:

A ton of people like and enjoy the lighter Silver Age stories that came as a result of the comics code, and they're a meaningful inspiration to modern creators as well. You're basically doing the exact thing you're criticizing these people of doing, declaring someone to be a bad person based on their media preferences.

Yea it's definitely easy to look at the worst vices of modern comics and feel that way. Obviously a lot of good stuff is out there, but when some of the popular stuff is banal edgelord crap I can't blame someone for wanting those kinds of stories instead.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Jesus christ. :corsair:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

It's possible to like the lighthearted Silver Age stories and still recognize that the Comics Code was a tremendous obstacle to good story telling.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

i understand what you're going for here, championing goofy and lighthearted stories as more than just disposable cheap experiences, but the comics code sucked dog rear end because it was racist as hell

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

fun hater posted:

i understand what you're going for here, championing goofy and lighthearted stories as more than just disposable cheap experiences, but the comics code sucked dog rear end because it was racist as hell

i actually forgot you weren't allowed to use the words "horror" or "terror" in titles lol

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Sarcopenia posted:

Another lovely and thoughtful creator, LadyKnightTheBrave, did another thorough video essay. This time it is on the movie 1917.
Ladyknightthebrave - "In The Moment: A 1917 Video Essay"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a9HaeQhf7k

This video is great. That was the last movie I saw in a cinema before the pandemic and the video reminded me of how great it was while also being an excellent essay in its own right.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It boggles my mind that there's 750 fan fictions written about 1917, and that's apparently not a lot. I'm not in that scene, but it's not the kind of work I'd expect people to engage with that way.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Dias posted:

This is a good point but I honestly feel like there are a ton of those that end up in this "oh I'm happy you're happy with them unfortunately this means we can't be together" and it would be kinda cool to see more "huh, maybe we can also be together" as a resolution. Like, I can only think of Sense8 when I think about polyamory/non-monogamic relationships being portrayed on media positively.

Also going with that doesn't mean you can't write conflict and drama in...quite the opposite, really.

Your post reminded me of an old ProZD skit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgFyCuKoEGA

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

i actually forgot you weren't allowed to use the words "horror" or "terror" in titles lol

because the comic's code's number 1 target was EC Comics, who's primary market was horror comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

you really can’t criticize the hayes code since a lot of classic and iconic films were made during it