Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

What's your go to thing to play if you feel dramatically unmotivated but just need to push through doing 15 minutes of practise?

I'm in a rut in a lot of ways but if I can just push through to start playing something regularly I'll at least keep my fingers moving. I'm getting bored of scales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jyrraeth posted:

What's your go to thing to play if you feel dramatically unmotivated but just need to push through doing 15 minutes of practise?

I'm in a rut in a lot of ways but if I can just push through to start playing something regularly I'll at least keep my fingers moving. I'm getting bored of scales.

Pick a random song and learn at least something from it. If you’re not inspired by anything specific just pick. If you can’t play it perfectly immediately then it’s something that can help you improve.

Also don’t underestimate how much improvement you can get from free jamming. Throw on a drum machine or backing track and go wild. Just get your hands moving.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jyrraeth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orbr-_aGeW8

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Ornithology.

Is the only jazz song I remember, and on the repeat I should be walking the cord changes but I am bad at walking and always have been so gently caress it. I have a book that's supposed to be a good way to get started with walking, but like most jazz instruction books, it goes from whole notes on the roots to being able to play along to any jazz standard in a very short span. And if you're thinking, you can't start playing bass for the first time on page 1 and be ready for standards by page 30... you're right!

But I remember Ornithology. It's fun on bass. And I mean the version with the chromatically descending minor triads on the 2nd ending. It can be played quickly and, if nothing else, it's great technique workout.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My, "pick it up for 5 minutes while someone lollygags before we leave" is major scales starting on the 3rd string, up in 4ths (so C major scale, F Bb Eb etc) then the minor scales starting on the 4th string, same pattern starting on C.

The big takeaway I've gotten from reading a lot of those same "walking jazz" books is this. If you just really have down your semitone chromatic slides, you're golden. Be able to go

1, root
2, chromatic slide into
3, the 5th
4, chromatic slide into
1, the next root

Nobody will ever question you. Use both octaves, vary sliding from above or below, mind the flat/augmented 5s. The big long walkups/downs you'll find naturally from experience. Throw in some eighth note two-semitone slides here and there. Get exactly that under your fingers and you could probably gig for life. Everything past that in the book is to make it more interesting for you, not for them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Huxley posted:

Nobody will ever question you.

I have questions

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

I have questions

Man I'm playing bass in a local store's walk-in jazz real book play along jam.

You can't even hear me.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jyrraeth posted:

XTC.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Huxley posted:

Man I'm playing bass in a local store's walk-in jazz real book play along jam.

You can't even hear me.

Crank it!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Jyrraeth posted:

Heaven, by Talking Heads. It's my go-to warmup: simple enough that I have it memorized, but still interesting to play. It has everything: small runs, octave jumps, varied attacks, and it's easy to mess around with if you get bored.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Jyrraeth posted:

Source by Fever the Ghost. Its catchy, has some simple bits and some nice fills and moves about the neck a bit.

Also, 19/2000 by Gorillaz, because it's fun and it's one of the few songs I can sing and play bass.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jyrraeth posted:

When im in a bass rut, especially burned out on scales and jazz, two words for ya: Duff McKagan

Put on a Guns or Velvet Revolver show and play along. Its a blast and its a nice "reset" to just have some fun.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kevin Bacon posted:

what have i done

couldn't quite justify spending that much on a lakland for my second ever bass and my first 5 string (even thought its probably worth it). it's an esh various from 98 - super weird little thing with a piezo PU in the bridge. but i like it. the sound fits my band very well, but it's a very different beast from my 80s schecter p-bass, so i'm having a hard time making it go funky, but i'll have to mess around with it some more to see what it can do.

Raise the strings that'll help with the funkiness quotient

E: for easy walking practice old Motown hits are the bomb. Mavis Staples' Ill Take You There just demands you do it, makes it so fun to do.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 25, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thought the Simpsons fans in this thread would get a kick out of this:

By Jens Ritter instruments

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kvlt! posted:

Thought the Simpsons fans in this thread would get a kick out of this:

By Jens Ritter instruments

I really like this! Most of the time gimmick guitars like that look janky but it’s really fun. The fretboard markers are a great touch.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I dig the control cavity output jack. That's a good idea.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Jyrraeth posted:

I like to play through "Anarchy in the UK" if I'm feeling especially lazy, because you can do the entire thing on just the A string.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Technically you can play every song on just the A string

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Jyrraeth posted:

don't practice if you don't feel motivated. unmotivated practice is a waste of time; if you can't consistently generate intrinsic motivation to practice, reevaluate your relationship with the instrument.

you're probably getting bored because you're playing scales without actually applying them; use the scales you've learned to make music. pick a chord progression, and improvise over it.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Kilometers Davis posted:

Pick a random song and learn at least something from it. If you’re not inspired by anything specific just pick. If you can’t play it perfectly immediately then it’s something that can help you improve.

Also don’t underestimate how much improvement you can get from free jamming. Throw on a drum machine or backing track and go wild. Just get your hands moving.

Thanks, its nice to reframe a too hard song with something thats helping me to improve instead of 'boo bad at bass :smith:'

I haven't put on a drum track in a looooong time, either. Gotta do that more.

quote:

Folks reccomending music/stuff in general

I'll have to check all y'alls suggestions out. Even if I never play them I'll at least listen to something different.

creamcorn posted:

don't practice if you don't feel motivated. unmotivated practice is a waste of time; if you can't consistently generate intrinsic motivation to practice, reevaluate your relationship with the instrument.

you're probably getting bored because you're playing scales without actually applying them; use the scales you've learned to make music. pick a chord progression, and improvise over it.

I'm burnt out and exhausted, bored is actually a pretty decent improvement most days. I get stuck in thinking if I'm not working on something that I can just barely play, than its a wasted day. I put it down for the better part of the last 3 weeks, normally I try and replace it with guitar or flute... but nope! Giving this as context, not using this to dump.

Playing scales slowly and trying to fret the notes as cleanly as I can manage was my initial attempt at just trying to pick things up again. Comfort food songs are helping too.

I've played over jam tracks, but I can't seem to make something that sounds like anything on bass. I've seem to figure out how to muck around with pentatonics on guitar, but its just not clicking yet with bass. I know far too much about theory and barely any way to start applying, especially since I haven't been playing a year yet.

I should probably start with that walking bass formula that Huxley posted.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

creamcorn posted:

Strange how that goes. Bounced off guitars for decades, and it took picking up a bass and immediately playing in bands for me to devote myself to music.

Now I'm falling into the home recording thing and neglecting a bit just playing bass for its own sake. What can you do?!

Feel bad about neglecting all those pedals I just bought....

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Jyrraeth posted:

Lately for me...I know, point and laugh...has been the silk sonic track. Here is what I like about it as a warm up:

It's catchy and fun
There are some ridiculously rad fills that I have picked up a lot of cool technique in drilling that I hadn't encountered before.

It's in that great tradition of tunes where (unlike I'm rock) where all the instruments are in service of the over all song and not showboating all over it

It let's me practice very quiet and delicate techniques, and switch pretty quick to the 16th laden syncopated fills. So...it's a good one to work on tone and accuracy of more sustained notes.

It's got a step modulation which breaks it up and keeps your brain engaged.

Every verse and chorus is different in cool ways on the bass part. Except for...the post chorus? I've heard of a prechorus but a post chorus? Man these boys are wild. Idk maybe it's a "C" part. It's the f to g whole notes it opens with.

Paak us loving bad and I'll gladly die on that hill.

It's bootsy baby (or so I believe).

It's that or jamerson stuff. Ain't it.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Propagandhi's Ska Sucks, mostly because it's easy, jumpy and repetitive

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
I mean

Pooper Trooper posted:

Propagandhi's Ska Sucks, mostly because it's easy, jumpy and repetitive

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
anything bauhaus is fun on bass

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
The Meters.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Are any of you using an HX Stomp for bass modeling? I just ordered one with some store credit and it should be coming in next week

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

curried lamb of God posted:

Are any of you using an HX Stomp for bass modeling? I just ordered one with some store credit and it should be coming in next week

Kiiiinda, I have a Helix Floor for guitar and I also use it for bass cause why not. Decent variety of bass amps, good overdrives, GREAT routing options, only thing I want is some more filters.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Been using Gargoyles Over Copenhagen by Nekromantix as my “I just want to play bass” thing. Easy enough tune, goes through all the standard slap bass maneuvers like repeated roots, arpeggios in the standard shapes, and fun textural things like the weird thumb/pinky gallop thing Kim does, plus it’s at what (to me) feels like the perfect speed.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Hot on the heels of buying my first bass, I bought my first bass amp!

Originally, I was just going to run it through my interface and use Amplitube or Guitar Rig, but then my oldest got a guitar, and my youngest plays piano, and they want to jam, so....

(At least that's the excuse I used.)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

but then my oldest got a guitar, and my youngest plays piano, and they want to jam, so....

(At least that's the excuse I used.)

This is a dream I have about my girls, but I don't want to say it to them and jinx it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Think I've copped to not knowing anything about heads and cabs here (mostly been using combo amps and sound boards and PA systems when I gig out).

But my cover band is set to play again and we got a gig in small bar set for July. Ive payed there before and used their lovely amps or my gnerally okay Riumble 40 there...but I actually saw a band play there last week and the bassist used an Eden wtx 500 head with an haartke hd12 and I was blown away by the quality of the bass.

Do heads really improve your sound that much? Can I just use it with my rumble and not have to get another amp to pair with it. Whats a good head, that Eden is like 500 dollars lol goddamn.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I had an Eden setup for about 5 minutes. It just never clicked for me and it was expensive at the time. I see the older models (like I had) on CL/marketplace often.

Is rental (not from house/backline) an option? That's what I'd do for limited engagements.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Heads don't make the amp better. The head is just a combo amp without the speaker; just because it's separate, that doesn't make it any good. That said, the best amps made tend to be configured as heads, letting you pick your own cabinet.

Heads are usually a little pricey compared to small combos, but that stands to reason, as they're more powerful and usually built to handle gigging. But, don't discount combos yet, because since Class D became a thing, you just don't need to go the whole head/cabinet route. Lots of people don't, in fact; when I was playing out just a few years ago, my band was the only one where half the players were running half stacks. Everyone else was using mic'ed combos (except bass, which was usually DI'ed to the board, often with a SanAmp).

Look for a Rumble 100, 200, or 500. I have the 100, and it's plenty for small gigs. If the gig is big, or a "big gig" if you will, then you can run a line from the amp to the board, although it's a little weird because the DI level is affected by the master volume for some reason. (That's uncommon.) I have seen some folks gig with Rumble 500s, which sound really good, are relatively affordable, contain the Rumble 500 head in the cabinet, and can be extended if need be to another cabinet. It's unlikely you're going to need more than that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The Ampeg Rocket amps from 50W on up also have a balanced out for the house (and I'm not just saying this because I totally love my Ampeg Rocket).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pumped up for school posted:

I had an Eden setup for about 5 minutes. It just never clicked for me and it was expensive at the time. I see the older models (like I had) on CL/marketplace often.

Is rental (not from house/backline) an option? That's what I'd do for limited engagements.

Its pretty expensive in nyc from what ive seen so far. I'll keep looking.

tarlibone posted:

Heads don't make the amp better. The head is just a combo amp without the speaker; just because it's separate, that doesn't make it any good. That said, the best amps made tend to be configured as heads, letting you pick your own cabinet.

Thanks so much for this. Yeah I'll prob end my search for a head until i can afford and most importantly find a space for a head and cab stack. But i did learn alot from this post.

E: Prob just gonna use my Rumble 40.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Jyrraeth posted:

Sometimes you have to take a break but if you don't want to not practice (I get it because it's a supreme effort on my part to get back into a schedule) then declare a fun night. I usually noodle around with bass-less backing tracks. This person is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?TomasSandanusGuitar

Also, anything by Matt Freeman from Op Ivy/Rancid. The dude can wail.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

For either guitar or bass I am a full believer in heads+cabs vs combos for the simple reason that's its easier to carry two slightly lighter things that one v heavy thing.

These days going the FRFR/modelling route is also an option. Modeller sends one output to the PA, one to a floor monitor either the venues (I wouldn't trust them to have enough for every member of the band) or your own. Set up your whole rig in one trip from the car.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 7, 2021

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Do you guys have any recommendations for babby's first flat-wounds? They're for a CV 70's P Bass, which comes with 45-105s - is it recommended to stick with the same gauge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I like d'addario chromes since they're good and not too expensive. Others may have different opinions.

String gauges aren't too comparable between flats and rounds as flats tend to be higher tension in general (with some exceptions). As such you might find your neck needs adjustment after changing (or not, just as likely). I'd recommend going with the lightest gauge available due to the higher tension. I also think lighter gauge flats sound better, but again that's just imo.