Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FrozenVent posted:

You don’t store liquids high up in the ship because of stability concerns, hence why the pool drain switch. It’s only 35 metric tons of water, but it’s on deck 17, so it has a measurable effect on the center of gravity of the ship.

Pumping all that water back up could cost you

checks notes

a whole dollar in fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

I had to Google what that is. Never seen one, and I’ve worked on 20+ ships and studied plans for a lot more.

Usually you just have separate tanks, this allows you to fine tune your list and trim. Flume tanks might have them, but they’re pretty rare on commercial vessels, cruise ships use stabilizers instead since those don’t gently caress up your actual vertical stability for the sake of comfort.

They are pretty common. Usually just go with a full or empty tank to limit free surface but depending on size and construction of the tank you will need them. Unless you just have a large amount of small tanks? How can you never see them?

Most people think the ocean is dirty due to their experience with bays but that water is gross cause of land. Saltwater from the middle of the ocean is crystal clear and pretty clean. If its from the tropics its also nice and warm, just have to change it every couple days since it starts getting algae and poo poo growing so it gets a little greenish.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 22, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah. Going from a port in Italy to the middle of the med was amazing to see how fast water quality changed.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Clear water isn’t a sign of cleanliness, it’s a sign things like lots of algae and stuff aren’t alive in the water, which tends to happen either in very hot climates or because something is preventing it. The coast off California for example is teeming with life, which is why visibility is worse than in like Bermuda.

Something like a super toxic chemical spill will make the water crystal clear in that area.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Oops, true. Its mostly devoid of life and hopefully not polluted to a toxic extent. Theres large deserts in the ocean without a lot of life. Dont have to do too much processing of the water depending on your desired profile.

My last chief was from Florida and he was bragging about his saltwater pool, it sounded amazing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lightpole posted:

My last chief was from Florida and he was bragging about his saltwater pool, it sounded amazing.

They’re not that different from traditional pools. They just have a different chemical cycle. Initial cost is higher, but they can be more pleasant to use and cheaper to maintain.

Sodium chloride goes in the pool. It’s about a tenth as salty as the sea and just at the threshold of human taste.

The pool has equipment to produce free chlorine from the dissolved salt. This has the same sanitation effect that the chlorine used in traditional pools does. It’s just more a more consistent dosing, so you tend not to get the “chlorine” smell that is actually from chloramines created when chlorine incompletely oxidizes organic molecules (e.g. from pee).

As the chlorine is a created in the pool equipment, as a byproduct, the sodium forms sodium hypochlorite (lye). This raises the pH of the pool, and eventually you will want to fix that with hydrochloric (muriatic) acid. This reacts with the lye and returns chlorine atoms to the pool, completing the cycle. The sodium ions never leave the pool. One the pool is full, it almost never needs more salt, just hydrochloric acid, and the dosing of that is more forgiving than the dosing of chlorine in a traditional pool.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’ve seen lots of girders and floor but never a bulkhead to limit sloshing.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Straight chlorine is so harsh and unenjoyable, that sounds so much better!

It doesn't have to be a full bulkhead with like lighterholes, it can just be a baffle or something to break up the tank a bit.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah. Going from a port in Italy to the middle of the med was amazing to see how fast water quality changed.

That may have something to do with them dumping poo poo barges straight back into the water. Or bringing barges meant for a submarine or possibly a small raft out to a carrier and then not wanting to swap it out, and then someone sinks said poo poo barge because they fell asleep on the sponson and didn't notice anything until the line snapped off the header and sprayed them with poo poo.

FrozenVent posted:

I’ve seen lots of girders and floor but never a bulkhead to limit sloshing.

A few of the CHT tanks on the carrier had bulkheads in them with manhole sized openings, iirc. I think the midship port side ballast tanks did as well, trying to remember that long ago is a bitch now.

I guess I'm an idiot because I've honestly thought about going merchant marine because I legitimately miss being underway.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

iwentdoodie posted:

That may have something to do with them dumping poo poo barges straight back into the water. Or bringing barges meant for a submarine or possibly a small raft out to a carrier and then not wanting to swap it out, and then someone sinks said poo poo barge because they fell asleep on the sponson and didn't notice anything until the line snapped off the header and sprayed them with poo poo.

A few of the CHT tanks on the carrier had bulkheads in them with manhole sized openings, iirc. I think the midship port side ballast tanks did as well, trying to remember that long ago is a bitch now.

I guess I'm an idiot because I've honestly thought about going merchant marine because I legitimately miss being underway.

Thought about it? Hell I got my resume in and just did a phone interview.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Did five years plus my cadet time.

Everything except my licence is expired right now and I intend to keep it that way so I don’t get press ganged.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

You can just come out to your friends and family and date guys, it’s 2021, not 1950

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

FrozenVent posted:

Did five years plus my cadet time.

Everything except my licence is expired right now and I intend to keep it that way so I don’t get press ganged.

Oh this sounds like a good story.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Remulak posted:

Oh this sounds like a good story.

Nah not really, I just don’t bother renewing firefighting / first aid / radio because that way I don’t get the “hey can you fill in on boat X for a few weeks?”

Office life best life.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Canadian soldier charged with feeding cannabis cupcakes to artillery unit during live-fire exercise

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
https://twitter.com/TaskandPurpose/status/1396883440042225665

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://twitter.com/TradocDCG/status/1396894407811551232

https://twitter.com/ltgrusselhonore/status/1396937062457253897

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Who is giving General Officers access to Twitter??

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/WKRG/status/1396990676433346562

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Can a case rupture really throw shrapnel into your face? I thought that was more of a hypothetical.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

*Another* Predator remake ?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Vengarr posted:

Can a case rupture really throw shrapnel into your face? I thought that was more of a hypothetical.

Situation was described as 'handling a family member's gun', so he might've had the ejection port pointed towards him at the time. Probably did not have it shouldered or aimed or whichever.

Failed rule 1.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Depending on the details, yes, a malfunction could in theory do that.

Chances are dude was being an unsafe gently caress head.

Predator Fact- that scene, "Contact!", wasn't in the script. After studio pressure for more war action, they added it.

It was done specifically to waste time and money because the higher ups were disconnected dickheads.

So yeah, same/same as the Predator scene.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
For a good time read the replies and look at all the assholes whining about that being irresponsible because it's wearing the weapons out or other dumb complaints

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

For a good time read the replies and look at all the assholes whining about that being irresponsible because it's wearing the weapons out or other dumb complaints

The "how much taxpayer money wasted" tweet was so sweet and innocent. Oh, my beautiful naive baby boy. You're in for such horrors if you dig any deeper.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

GD_American posted:

The "how much taxpayer money wasted" tweet was so sweet and innocent. Oh, my beautiful naive baby boy. You're in for such horrors if you dig any deeper.

Hopefully this is what the replies are to the generals, "yeah you're right that is wasteful, it's not like the pentagon would ever waste any money, better not audit them ever"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Absolute king.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Canadian soldier charged with feeding cannabis cupcakes to artillery unit during live-fire exercise

quote:

All the members of W Battery who consumed the cupcakes, except one, allegedly experienced symptoms

Way to narc on yourself, stoner sloth.

GD_American posted:

Never have I ever had to direct a fresh tanker to dump 80k+ pounds of jp8 and land after someone unnecessarily launched the GAAR asset.

*sips a PBR*

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/TradocDCG/status/1396894407811551232

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the greatest sin you can commit in the military is getting caught, doubly so if you film it and get it plastered on the internet

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I love these assholes who are going to poo poo on the one moment of unfettered joy some of these troops are getting. It's probably going to be the highlight of their service but lol officer mcfuckface is always politicking

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I was gonna say this was kind of dumb seeing as how he nearly fell backwards and could've blasted someone, but the loving taint licking and pearl clutching and "sir" calling in the comments just so disgusting that gently caress it, go nuts. Shoot yo rounds. You're probably gonna die or get hosed up somehow from something even dumber anyway, and way less fun.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Switching gears slightly lol

https://twitter.com/CIA/status/1397193234086957056?s=19

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

The idiot part of that is filming it and posting it. Otherwise loving awesome.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Whole lotta fuckin snitches in that thread

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Lotta people who's range time was spent hanging out in the shade chatting with friends while other people had to count the ammo in that thread.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Time Crisis Actor posted:

That thread is embarrassing for America.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

Absolute king.

that chick is gonna go away for a long time, and deservedly so.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

https://twitter.com/mollymiller951/status/1397207441062903809?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
how is his name tape and poo poo backwards but the paper text oriented correctly?