Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is no one besides me experiencing game crashes during the daily challenges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

went from having no completion marks besides Boss Rush on J&E to getting Hush, Blue Baby, and Mega Satan in one swoop. Shame I didn't get the Delirium portal,

Sharkitten posted:

Is no one besides me experiencing game crashes during the daily challenges?

not me
try verifying the integrity of your files on Steam?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Augus posted:

went from having no completion marks besides Boss Rush on J&E to getting Hush, Blue Baby, and Mega Satan in one swoop. Shame I didn't get the Delirium portal,

not me
try verifying the integrity of your files on Steam?

just did, everything validated fine

e: you made a poo poo of piece with your buggy isaac

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 23, 2021

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

goferchan posted:

Just messed with some settings and realized that the analog stick on my steam controller was calibrated incorrectly and wasn't moving Isaac around at full speed. I've been playing the game with permanent .8 speed or so this entire time.

How did you fix this? I just started using a controller because my hands are kinda hurting on keyboard, and I noticed that my analog stick is not moving as fast as the D-Pad.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I actually managed to beat ??? as Jacob and Esau but evidently never got the completion marks. I actually had to hit Alt+F2 on the stats screen to get the Birthright and The Ladder secrets to even appear. Is this a known thing? I guess it's entirely cosmetic, but it's kind of bullshit that the game will never acknowledge that I overcame the adversity that is Garbage Rod and Todd.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

If you have both Tainted Cain and Divorce Papers unlocked you can craft that, it drops mysterious paper which has a chance of acting as the missing poster. Otherwise just spam mom's box when you get it

Thanks for this, once I started always resetting until I got a sac room next to the start, I had him unlocked within half an hour.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Boss Rush takes way too long in Repentance.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Sharkitten posted:

Boss Rush takes way too long in Repentance.

Yeah I'm not sure what changed, but I gladly went after Boss Rush in the Rebirth and Afterbirth era for the free items where now I really don't look forward to doing it due to how much time it eats up aside from stealing an item with The Fool card. Not to mention it's so much harder to reach in Repentance compared to the previous eras.

Got all the Mega Satan unlocks done. Those are definitely worth going after with the Tainteds to add some more game mechanics to the game. Lazarus was painful. I had to essentially luck out with Sacred Heart on one, and Polyphemus on the other just to get a run that was sensible enough to go all the way through. Really hope those buffs come soon.

Tainted Azazel... don't think I'm a huge fan of him. He has unlimited range Brimstone, neat! Except it does half damage and the only way to make it deal full damage is using a rather awkward sneeze attack. (Pro tip, the sneeze hitbox doesn't move with Azazel, so don't bother moving forward to make the sneeze have momentum.) And not trying to take advantage of it results in a more campy playstyle. I get that starting out with regular Brim is a bit much, but the end result feels like a character that's more clunky and ultimately more boring to use than regular Azazel. He's still strong mind you, I just find him rather boring to use.

Tainted ??? is kind of neat but wow this character makes you realize just how important bombs are. The poop gimmick is alright, but throwing it really falls off past the first few floors since the damage doesn't scale. So lategame you're really just fishing for the creep poop or the holy poo poo if you need more DPS. Or the bomb poops if you need a bomb. I think I'd like him more if his starting stats are better cause his earlygame is kind of painful.

Tainted Lillith was fun. The tear controls were a bit awkward, but more often than not I used the fetus to just punch things, which is pretty strong at least.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I had no idea the sneeze buffed your brimstone as Tainted Azazel and just bulldozed everything anyway :D

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How the hell do you play Tainted Cain without a wiki/guide?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

RatHat posted:

i don't think you do

i guess you could craft poo poo randomly and hope for the best, but ugh

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i did t cain without guides and aside from boss rush its not that big a deal. it can get a bit too long in the tooth for sure

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Do the whole floor, get your 3-4 most powerful pickups together and just keep subbing out your least powerful thing until you find something you want. Don't get Curse of the Blind.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

How did you fix this? I just started using a controller because my hands are kinda hurting on keyboard, and I noticed that my analog stick is not moving as fast as the D-Pad.

Get into steam, make sure your controller is on and connected, and a "Controller Configuration" button should appear on the bar right below the "PLAY" button on Isaac's page. Once the screen pops up and you see an image of your controller, click on "Joystick move" and then "Additional settings". Change "Stick Response Curve" to Aggressive like so:

I'm using a Steam Controller but I assume it should work the same way for other ones

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

RatHat posted:

You're not gonna break the game over its back in the same way as you would with a guide, but just keep in mind that each consumable has a quality rating and that's going to translate somehow into how good the items you craft are. Also certain item pools are tied to certain consumables, like having more eternal hearts will be more likely to give you an angel room item, and having more black hearts will be more likely to give you a devil room item. And then once you know a few common recipies (a good one is all coins = Portable Slot, which helps you turn your coins into a wider variety of consumables) you can sort of roll from there. I still maintain it would be more fun with randomized recipes every run, that still followed the basic rules of certain pickup types crafting certain items. It can be a pretty fun run to play without a spreadsheet but it just takes forever.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dumb Boring Stupid PUKESHIT Series 340059: Starting an Eden run with Candy Heart, Bloody Penny, and Blood Rights... plus one soul heart.

Not a single health-up or anything interesting all the way to Depths II, where I mashed Blood Rights to suicide out of complete boredom.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The game heard me and got real embarrassed with itself, the next run had Rock Bottom first treasure room.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I believe the mom chase to get the knife isn't that bad, it can be fun sometimes!

*gets nicked by a corny poop fly, and then nicked by bs mom charge as T.Keeper*

*installs a 'skip mom chase' mod*

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

With Tainted Cain there's a few "rules" to keep in mind that can sort of help you if you want to play without a list of recipes. Like items from specific pools require specific ingredients, which goferchan already outlined. Tainted Cain is also where the quality metric actually matters instead of being a curious meaningless statistic. As quality 4 items needs tons of rare pickups, like golden keys, golden bombs, lucky pennies.

Planetarium items need runes, secret room items need bone hearts, and curse room items needs rotten hearts. So if you want an item from a specific pool, have that pickup on hand. And if you want a high quality item, save a bunch of rare ingredients for that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

^^^ Yup and the other big tip is that when you try and pick up an item, it breaks into components based on the room you pick it up in, not the item it is. So, secret room items are associated with bone hearts for example-- if you make an Alabaster Box or a Sacrifical Altar and use it in a secret room, you will more than likely spawn some bone hearts when you try to pick up that item. Same goes for angel rooms, devil rooms, etc.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Beat Hush/Delirium with Tainted Lost. Gotta agree with the folks saying Tainted Lost isn't as bad as you'd think. The better items thing seems to really make you ball out of control. Glitched crown is also really broken once you get good at timing the item you want.

You can also pause buffer Glitched Crown's rotation if you feel like being extra cheesy. Yeah that item is super broken. Discards a bunch of chaft in the item pools due to how it works, making future item pools have even more items you're more likely to want.

Also Mom's Knife + Spirit Sword is a really fun synergy. Charging up the spin attack lets you throw the sword for a ranged attack which really gives you more ways to go about attacking things.

The end result was a very very dead Mother.

Soul Stones are super neat and are definitely a cool addition to the game. Especially since some rooms seem to be guaranteed to generate them, which is pretty nice for actually letting you play around with them.

Oh and turns out I had a big misconception about boss armor. The moment an armored enemy spawns, they start out partially armored, then it gradually goes away. Making the moment they spawn one of the worst times to attack them!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 24, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Araxxor posted:

Oh and turns out I had a big misconception about boss armor. The moment an armored enemy spawns is actually the worst time to attack them! They start out fully armored, then it gradually goes away. Making the moment they spawn the worst time to attack them!

I think Delirium might have tripped you up here because he seemingly has little to no armor during the brief moments he's actually in his untransformed Delirium form, meaning you actually can deal a bunch of damage to him right at the start of the fight

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

goferchan posted:

I think Delirium might have tripped you up here because he seemingly has little to no armor during the brief moments he's actually in his untransformed Delirium form, meaning you actually can deal a bunch of damage to him right at the start of the fight

Yeah, I was doing some cleanup research so I could finally put my findings on the (previously woefully lacking in information) wiki page on the subject so people could be more aware of how the hell it works (and how oppressive it is) and stumbled upon some bizarre findings during testing. Which explains why someone's previous explanation of the mechanic completely confused people and led them to taking the specifics off of there since they got a few key details wrong.

Oh and for individual damage instances to start being lowered, it has to be 4x above the DPS softcap.

Also possibly one of the more bizarre findings I discovered on this subject. Mama Mega!, the item that's clearly a bomb and whose purpose is to be a middle finger to the entire floor you use it on and everything in it, is affected by boss armor. :psyduck: Granted it was a terrible idea to save it for the Ascent considering the lower difficulty of that portion and how short those floors are, but consider this an even bigger reason to not save it for then

For actually plausible scenarios, the armored enemies in the Corpse and the Shadies found in Sheol and the Dark Room are going to have to be dealt with if you saved Mama Mega! by then. Cathedral, The Chest, and The Void are mostly fair game though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Lol blood puppy has armor and Tainted Esau doesn't. F you edmund!!!

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Is basement 2 the standard floor to skip for planetarium spawning for home runs or basement 1? I've been skipping 2.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

for home runs you want to skip as many item rooms
as you can while still being able to beat mom

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Unless you have Dream Catcher or are doing a Home run, I find it almost never worth it to skip them. The potential loss of power is too debilitating to go through. Treat Planetariums in that fashion more of a frustration alleviating feature if you happen to lack a key for a treasure room.

Now if you're doing Home, it depends on your run. If you're powerful enough and can handle everything that goes your way, feel free to skip item rooms. If not, maybe take a few. Skipping a few still gives you great odds.

Ultimately like watho said, just make sure your build can handle Mom. The Ascent is a relative breather, but you'll also want to make sure you're decently geared for that to handle the Tainted Enemies, or have a lot of bombs on hand to instakill them.

Looked into Delirium's armor mechanics since that was missing. Turns out every bit of damage you do increases its armor, ultimately capping out at 80 when it's almost dead, resulting in a DPS softcap of... 125. That basically Beast tier levels of basically irrelevant, so what's actually going on?

Well as it turns out, the whole "spawn armor mechanic" is actually way more important here. Every time Delirium transforms, it essentially counts as it respawning as a new monster, meaning that the "spawn armor" is reapplied every time! (Is guaranteed to lower your damage even further by about 85% to 25% when a monster spawns) Which results in a massive amount of constant damage reduction because Delirium is constantly transforming, and it only gets worse and worse as its HP gets lower! The whole "wait 4 seconds to reset boss armor" strategy does not work at all at Delirium because it's essentially fully armored at all times anyway! (Aside from when it's in its true form at which point it has no armor whatsoever.)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 24, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah, I had a bit of fun with Planetariums but after seeing all of the items I just don't think they're worth shooting for unless you have something like crystal ball or telescope lens, or are doing a Beast run.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I appreciate your deep delves into the code and your compelling arguments for me to finally install the boss armor tweaker mod

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, I had a bit of fun with Planetariums but after seeing all of the items I just don't think they're worth shooting for unless you have something like crystal ball or telescope lens, or are doing a Beast run.

this. most of the items there arent worth skipping several item rooms for

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh no i wouldn’t give up item rooms to force one unless i’m going for home or playing as tainted keeper

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm really happy the monster portals became Void-only. Seems like those drat things were everywhere in AB+.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

ArfJason posted:

this. most of the items there arent worth skipping several item rooms for

i view them as a "u tried" prize if you have a particularly poo poo run giving you no keys for item rooms.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

watho posted:

oh no i wouldn’t give up item rooms to force one unless i’m going for home or playing as tainted keeper

It's a shame that's the only way to realistically get them. If I could force something like Terra or Uranus then maybe...

watho
Aug 2, 2013

let me introduce you to a little character called tainted cain

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

watho posted:

let me introduce you to a little character called tainted cain

I recently finished his post it and even with him they're way more trouble than they're worth. Recipes for the good planetarium items are like rune + 6 soul hearts + gold key.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

tainted lilith is peak stupid design meshing with super fun

fetus punching enemies like it's early 2000s newgrounds

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Most of the Planetarium items are great, but Uranus is the only I consider remotely powerful enough to skip item rooms for since denying on death effects defangs so many enemy types in the game. The rest are strong items, just really not worth taking a power deficiency in most runs for. And then you have Mars, Jupiter, and Saturnus which aren't that great.

I wasn't too big on Luna at first, but more secret rooms is nice considering how powerful the secret item room pool is now. (About a 1 in 11.76 chance of finding a room with an item, and Luna takes that to about a 1 in 6.14 chance per floor.)

Pluto is kind of hilarious due to how the game's hitboxes work. You can phase through a bunch of bullet hitboxes if your hitbox is small enough, causing the bullets to essentially glide over you. Which happens a lot more often in hard mode due to the higher shot speeds.

Sol is kind of mediocre if your playstyle isn't "do the boss first then full clear the floor." On the other hand, it becomes unquestionably great during the Home path, since the stat boosts are applied for the entire Ascent. It also applies after sleeping in Mom's bed, meaning you'll have the stat boosts for Dogma, and the game refreshes the stat boosts after the Dogma kill, letting you have +3 damage and +1 luck for the entire Beast fight.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 25, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Luna from a first-room-spawned Planetarium was *vital* for my Tainted Lazarus Delirium kill. I can give it that :D

It's definitely only worth trying to force a Planetarium on Ascent runs with certain characters. For others the best play with them is to know what conditions can spawn them so you know when to look for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
If you get an early magic 8 ball you might as well skip an item room just in case. Just tell yourself there was a bean in it.