Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Spacebump posted:

Reading those power level descriptions, I can't wait to hear the reason where they were in Infinity War/Endgame.

"Well, it's not like any of us thought that scrotum-chinned purple goober could actually do it or anything. Oops our bad?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Martytoof posted:

MODOK wasn’t great but I’ll still watch whatever they pump out. I laughed a few times but had a hard time getting over what was basically a bigger budget Robot Chicken which I historically didn’t enjoy at all.

Yea it was fine. I will give it for a show probably not getting a 2nd season that was a hell of an ending.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Not gonna lie, I'm more than a little nervous that a film adding 10+ supers isn't going to be very good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh wait, is all of MODOK out on Hulu already? I’m watching it on D+ and I only have the first episode. I figured they’d just dump the whole thing at the same rate but I guess not.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Martytoof posted:

Oh wait, is all of MODOK out on Hulu already? I’m watching it on D+ and I only have the first episode. I figured they’d just dump the whole thing at the same rate but I guess not.

Yeah, the whole thing is on Hulu.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, us D+ people are getting dicked over. It’s probably done as a ‘this will hold them over till Loki’ measure.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, us D+ people are getting dicked over. It’s probably done as a ‘this will hold them over till Loki’ measure.

How do you even get D+ without getting Hulu? I thought it just came as a package deal these days.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

pik_d posted:

How do you even get D+ without getting Hulu? I thought it just came as a package deal these days.

In Europe (which is were I suppose The_Doctor is from) and Latin America Hulu doesn't exist. Europe got instead Star+, my country is getting it until around August. It was supposed to go live next month but I guess Disney is trying to snatch back as many licenses as possible.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I don't know anything about the Eternals and nothing about that trailer made me care. Also thanks for helping out when six infinity stones showed up on Earth and somebody annihilated half of all life?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
It's funny: with maybe one or two exceptions, every single one of the character bios for the Eternals reads like they are secretly a bad guy that is going to betray the others.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

In It For The Tank posted:

It's funny: with maybe one or two exceptions, every single one of the character bios for the Eternals reads like they are secretly a bad guy that is going to betray the others.

"HE IS THE STRONGEST ETERNAL"

one para later

"HE IS THE MOST POWERFUL ETERNAL"

one para later

"SHE IS THE LEADER OF THE ETERNALS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsTeL8-ornA

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The leader of the Avengers joke was so obviously tacked on it almost ruined the whole trailer for me. It was very transparently an attempt to remind the audience it's definitely an MCU movie please watch it for continuity, when the film is obviously an attempt at a standalone story.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

The leader of the Avengers joke was so obviously tacked on it almost ruined the whole trailer for me. It was very transparently an attempt to remind the audience it's definitely an MCU movie please watch it for continuity, when the film is obviously an attempt at a standalone story.

Yeah, that really came out of nowhere.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I've been watching MODOK the last couple of days. I liked Robot Chicken, so the humor is okay for me, and the animation looks great. I also love stories where the protagonist has to pick themselves up from the bottom.

But the only joke that made laugh out loud was the whole bit with the Asgardian goats, Fainty and Screamy, but even then it felt like it could've been shortened. And any show that has Angar the Screamer and Armadillo yelling that he has to go back with his wife shows that at least they tried to include the less known stuff.

In It For The Tank posted:

I got big vibes that Angelina Jolie is gonna end up being the big bad. And I know nothing about the Eternals.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Spacebump posted:

Reading those power level descriptions, I can't wait to hear the reason where they were in Infinity War/Endgame.

Infinity War: the big Earth based battle took place over a few hours, in a secret African kingdom. To join in you would need to be in the immediate vicinity.

Endgame: The big Earth based fight scene takes place over less than an hour. Both sides teleport in, and to join in you need to befriend a wizard.

I think them not intervening in the gap between the movies to help in rebuilding is covered adequately by their worldview.

And the same applies to almost every other MCU movie. Certainly the ones set on Earth, with non-human foes(e.g. Thor 2; Dr Strange; Avengers). The threat is a flashpoint, defeated before anyone not on the scene could possibly respond.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Undead Hippo posted:

Infinity War: the big Earth based battle took place over a few hours, in a secret African kingdom. To join in you would need to be in the immediate vicinity.

Endgame: The big Earth based fight scene takes place over less than an hour. Both sides teleport in, and to join in you need to befriend a wizard.

I think them not intervening in the gap between the movies to help in rebuilding is covered adequately by their worldview.

And the same applies to almost every other MCU movie. Certainly the ones set on Earth, with non-human foes(e.g. Thor 2; Dr Strange; Avengers). The threat is a flashpoint, defeated before anyone not on the scene could possibly respond.

https://twitter.com/marvel_shots/status/1396831569831251969 "Makkari is the fastest woman in the universe. She uses her cosmically powered super-speed to scout planets for the Eternals, and as the only deaf Eternal, the sonic boom that accompanies her cosmic running does not affect her." She can run fast enough to scout out other planets. At the very least, Makkari easily could have gotten to either battle. Super speed on that level is absurd. I can understand missing the first battle. However, looking at their descriptions, there is no way they wouldn't be prepared for the second Thanos battle. He erased half of existence.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 25, 2021

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

pik_d posted:

There's no Hulu in Australia, so D+ is its own subscription.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
These Eternal folk seem a bit overpowered

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

It's interesting in a "Why would an eternal god want to lead a bunch of humans" way, which is probably why they all laughed at him for saying it. Of course Ikaris could lead the Avengers, he's basically Superman but it'd be like if someone said they were gonna lead a troop of gorillas.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

MODOK wasn’t great but I’ll still watch whatever they pump out. I laughed a few times but had a hard time getting over what was basically a bigger budget Robot Chicken which I historically didn’t enjoy at all.

It was a sort bland with smatterings of funny thrown in. The whole flying goat scene "Hmm should I switch goats? No! I don't have time to keep switching goats, gotta commit" *goats fly away*

Or him putting on shades and saying "Looks like my teenage daughter is going to help me get laid"

LegoMan fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 25, 2021

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

live with fruit posted:

but it'd be like if someone said they were gonna lead a troop of gorillas.
go on...

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Spacebump posted:

https://twitter.com/marvel_shots/status/1396831569831251969 "Makkari is the fastest woman in the universe. She uses her cosmically powered super-speed to scout planets for the Eternals, and as the only deaf Eternal, the sonic boom that accompanies her cosmic running does not affect her." She can run fast enough to scout out other planets. At the very least, Makkari easily could have gotten to either battle. Super speed on that level is absurd. I can understand missing the first battle. However, looking at their descriptions, there is no way they wouldn't be prepared for the second Thanos battle. He erased half of existence.

In Endgame there are no cutaways from the action scene, so it's presumably playing out in real time. This is the timeline: On a random day, 5 years after the Snap, and years after Thanos is killed, the Avengers are doing secret time shenanigans in their base. They succeed and the Hulk snap happens, bringing everyone back. This presumably plunges the entire universe into chaos, although we don't see it on screen. A teleportation portal is opened up moments later bringing in Thanos's army. The Avengers fight desperately to survive for 15 minutes alone. Then the wizard portals open and with reinforcements they clash for another 15 minutes. Finally at pretty much exactly the half hour mark the Iron Man snap obliterates the enemy forces.

The timeframe of the final battle is lightning fast, with forces literally appearing out of thin air, no advance warning at all. If nobody knows who you are, nobody is going to fetch you. And no matter how fast you can move, you need to know where to go.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Undead Hippo posted:

In Endgame there are no cutaways from the action scene, so it's presumably playing out in real time. This is the timeline: On a random day, 5 years after the Snap, and years after Thanos is killed, the Avengers are doing secret time shenanigans in their base. They succeed and the Hulk snap happens, bringing everyone back. This presumably plunges the entire universe into chaos, although we don't see it on screen. A teleportation portal is opened up moments later bringing in Thanos's army. The Avengers fight desperately to survive for 15 minutes alone. Then the wizard portals open and with reinforcements they clash for another 15 minutes. Finally at pretty much exactly the half hour mark the Iron Man snap obliterates the enemy forces.

The timeframe of the final battle is lightning fast, with forces literally appearing out of thin air, no advance warning at all. If nobody knows who you are, nobody is going to fetch you. And no matter how fast you can move, you need to know where to go.

Carol managed to get there from presumably deep space.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

live with fruit posted:

Carol managed to get there from presumably deep space.

She was probably called by the team doing secret time shenanigans, it's not like they didn't have her number

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LegoMan posted:

go on...

There's a certain romanticism to it but also it's crazy.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 25, 2021

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
It’d be real boring if every future MCU project is either another origin story or has to explain why it’s heroes weren’t fighting Thanos. I’d be fine if they don’t mention it at all.

Also that Avengers discussion bit definitely felt at odds with the rest of the footage, I wonder if it was specific filmed for the trailer

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
All comics solved this problem decades ago, and the answer is "don't think about it"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

gey muckle mowser posted:

It’d be real boring if every future MCU project is either another origin story or has to explain why it’s heroes weren’t fighting Thanos. I’d be fine if they don’t mention it at all.

Also that Avengers discussion bit definitely felt at odds with the rest of the footage, I wonder if it was specific filmed for the trailer

Even if they wanted to explain it it'd be as simple as having Thanos portals open elsewhere as well, or supervillains getting uppity.

Howard the Duck and Man-Thing couldn't make it cause they were fighting chitauri in the Everglades.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Argue posted:

All comics solved this problem decades ago, and the answer is "don't think about it"

Desperately trying to reconcile the comics continuity has given us some of the greatest moments in comic history. Like, when they tried to explain how Magneto was a holocaust survivor and also only 40 years old in the early 2000's and they decided that Magneto has control of the full electromagnetic spectrum - including sunlight radiation - and he has kept sunlight from touching his skin to preserve it and uses his powers of magnetism to rearrange metal in his blood and cells to constantly repair themselves by controlling individual blood vessels and mitochondria.

Then, later on, he was abducted by aliens and they gave him magic juice.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

BurritoJustice posted:

It looks like they copied the falafel scene from the first Avengers movie to add a bit of “see this is related to the other stuff you like” flavor. Whether it works or if it just sticks out like a sore thumb…

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
One of the rumors is that they all have amnesia and don't realize that they're Eternals until something snaps them out of it, probably one of the snaps.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

gey muckle mowser posted:

It's probably less "they mentioned the Avengers" and more "it's a scene that's allowed to play out of the characters in a mundane situation talking casually without a dramatic score". Almost anything they said or did in that kind of tone would feel different to the rest of the trailer because the rest of the trailer is a trailer i.e. quick cuts of the cast in action with dramatic music and only a snippet of conversation here or there.

I'm also not really sure why people seem to have a problem with the scene to be honest. The Eternals as a concept exist as part of the greater Marvel universe and were always envisioned to be so, both as a property in general and as part of the MCU in particular. Chloe Zhao did not take the project with the idea that she'd be making something stand alone, only for Kevin Feige to pop his head round the door at the last minute and go "actually, make it part of the MCU". It was always the plan, and it was always going to tie into the MCU in some fashion. Which means either other MCU characters or core concepts were going to be showing up and/or the characters of the film were going to discuss those characters or concepts. The apparent thrust of the film is establishing why the Eternals as a group have chosen not to interfere in the direction of human society despite living as part of it, and them being aware of and discussing that society only makes sense in that context. Them discussing the death of someone majorly relevant in society is no more weird in that context than one of them wanting to be a Bollywood actor as an example. It's just the characters showing they are connected to society even if they chose not to affect it. As is, them discussing the Avengers is probably more natural to the story being told than them interacting with someone from the MCU personally, and also takes away focus less and so seems like the better option.

Also, a large part of the film is not just going to be explaining their origin but specifically explaining why they have chosen non-intervention. Which will probably explain Thanos on it's own. Most heroes going forward aren't going to be in that situation though, since Kate Bishop, Jennifer Walters etc. might have existed at the time, but did not have super powers so there'd be no reason for them to want to go help even assuming they knew anything was going on. The Eternals as a group are rather unique in that fashion, because by nature they pre-exist this conflict. The film doesn't have to address Thanos specifically to establish that. It might, but explaining why they don't intervene with humanity, at least explicitly, and instead only live alongside them, will explain why they didn't show up to fight Thanos by default really.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 25, 2021

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Azhais posted:

Even if they wanted to explain it it'd be as simple as having Thanos portals open elsewhere as well, or supervillains getting uppity.

Howard the Duck and Man-Thing couldn't make it cause they were fighting chitauri in the Everglades.

howard the duck was there (in endgame at least, not infinity war)

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I figure it's just like that Rick and Morty quote. Someone out there is always trying to blow up the universe. If you're immortal it's probably just NBD

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
This raises the question of whether or not Strange knows about the Eternals. Presumably he knew about everyone who came through a portal, which is how Wong even knew to get them, and if the Eternals are super powerful and prefer to exist in the shadows, it could be that they stayed out of his line of sight and just weren't invited.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
We really can't keep doing this every time a new hero is added to the MCU.

Where were the Eternals during Endgame? Where was Shang-Chi? Where was the Fantastic Four? Where was Deadpool? Where was Mephisto?

They weren't there because their movies came after. Deal with it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Zero One posted:

We really can't keep doing this every time a new hero is added to the MCU.

Where were the Eternals during Endgame? Where was Shang-Chi? Where was the Fantastic Four? Where was Deadpool? Where was Mephisto?

They weren't there because their movies came after. Deal with it.

Adherence to the sacred canon and continuity has been a nerd value forever. People used to mail VHS tapes to Paramount in the 80's to point out continuity issues in Star Trek.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You can take the MCU away from Whedon but you’re never, ever gonna get the Whedon out of the MCU.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zero One posted:

Orgy, couldn't be bothered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It doesn't really matter where Shang-Chi was because he's a martial artist who was on Rumspringa. Superman and the Flash are difference makers in a fight against space armies so they'll talk about where they were, like they make a point of getting Carol away from the action and explaining why Strange isn't chipping in.