Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

tbf, once the sh-2 is coded, that's half the processors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Voice of Labor posted:

tbf, once the sh-2 is coded, that's half the processors

And the door is open for the important things. Like the 32X!

And the CPS3 I guess.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Re: Saturn progress

Yeah that's true I suppose, it does sound like things are progressing well though.
Plus the X68K core looks good too.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm looking to build a MiSTer, scoured the OP and a few other posts and I think I'm set on parts.

I want to build one that can "do anything it'd need to do" so this is what I have so far. I *am* one of those PVM weirdos, so I went with the standard IO:

My plan is to have this hooked up to one of my HDMI monitors here and then use an 8BitDo controller for everything. Went with standard because I may switch my setup later down the line and want to condense everything to just this one device and a PVM - who knows, the future is wild.

The only problem I have now ia the case. I can't seem to find anywhere outside of MisterAddons that even has results for "aluminum cooling mister FPGA case." MisterAddons is out of stock as well, and honestly, if it was an option, I'd probably just buy it pre-configured off them since, at the price they sell all the parts, it's essentially the same price.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The aluminum case is misteraddon's design. That's why only he has it.

You don't need the real time clock if you're connecting the device to your network, it can get the time off the internet at boot. I would recommend having it on your network because easily moving files onto it and updating it, or even keeping large files on a separate machine, is a major feature for the mister imo. But I guess it couldn't hurt if you're moving it between multiple setups a bunch.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

elf help book posted:

The aluminum case is misteraddon's design. That's why only he has it.

You don't need the real time clock if you're connecting the device to your network, it can get the time off the internet at boot. I would recommend having it on your network because easily moving files onto it and updating it, or even keeping large files on a separate machine, is a major feature for the mister imo. But I guess it couldn't hurt if you're moving it between multiple setups a bunch.

That's useful info; I was only getting it thinking it'd be needed for those choice few games like Pokemon Gold and Silver.

Are there any other recommended cases or is this one far and beyond worth waiting for? I'm really only concerned with the cooling and all-black design.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A case isn't that necessary, its a nice-to-have at most. I used a set of these for about a year and it did its job

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

LODGE NORTH posted:

That's useful info; I was only getting it thinking it'd be needed for those choice few games like Pokemon Gold and Silver.

Are there any other recommended cases or is this one far and beyond worth waiting for? I'm really only concerned with the cooling and all-black design.

I used mine for two years without a case, and only just recently bought plates from zerohimself just for decoration. The big feature for the aluminum case is the passive cooling, but the tiny fan is drat near silent anyway.

elf help book fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 25, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

a blister instead of a usb board if you intend to use original controllers via serial and intend to play with 2 or more players

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ah, these plates and such look exactly like what I have going on with my Pi. I may end up buying the case when it restocks later if I somehow decide I must have it. And thanks hatty for letting me know I can use it caseless, that definitely saves me some money for the time being, ha.

The Voice of Labor posted:

a blister instead of a usb board if you intend to use original controllers via serial and intend to play with 2 or more players

I might look into this later. Right now, it's just me and this bluetooth controller, but after looking it up a little bit, it does seem to offer some stuff I'd be into if people start visiting again.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Yeah, my MiSTer has been caseless since the day it was built and everything's great. One day I'll finally get a cheap Neo Geo X base station and turn it into a case, but that's just for novelty's sake.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/_atrac17/status/1397077201745432578

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I’m spurtin’. :pcgaming:

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Building a MiSTer has pretty much ruined my desire to collect most retro consoles that I don't already own. I used to fantasize about and plan out buying a PC Engine, Sega CD, and consolizing an MVS but now I just think "but why though?" I still want to get an N64 just because that's a glaring hole in my collection and we're a long way off from doing that in FPGA, but I have zero desire to collect anything that has a MiSTer core unless I happen upon one at a garage sale for an amazing deal, which is almost certainly never going to happen with those consoles anyway. Has anyone else had this experience?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The trajectory I took was "spend hundreds on a Framemeister and modding my retro consoles and also buying some random games on ebay" followed by "putting them in storage when I moved because I got a MiSTer" so if you didn't get as far as I did with step 1 you're coming out ahead really.

I *do* still have my UltraHDMI N64 because that's still the best way to play that for me though lol.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
N64 may never happen so that’s safe to buy

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jadius posted:

Building a MiSTer has pretty much ruined my desire to collect most retro consoles that I don't already own. I used to fantasize about and plan out buying a PC Engine, Sega CD, and consolizing an MVS but now I just think "but why though?" I still want to get an N64 just because that's a glaring hole in my collection and we're a long way off from doing that in FPGA, but I have zero desire to collect anything that has a MiSTer core unless I happen upon one at a garage sale for an amazing deal, which is almost certainly never going to happen with those consoles anyway. Has anyone else had this experience?
I have spent probably hundreds of bored hours over the years planning out an "ultimate video game station" that would support playing all the game platforms I care about both computer and console, all in their highest possible quality on either a high-end CRT or a modern display with fully automatic switching. Almost every console prior to the HD era would have required modification for the highest video quality, flash carts and virtual disk drives, etc. without even getting in to the costs of the consoles and computers themselves, controllers, etc.

MiSTer has basically eliminated my interest in any such project unless I find myself with a significant excess of both money and free time. It covers basically everything I care about from the sprites and scanlines era, then I'd argue that almost everything from the pre-HDTV 3D era is better in software emulation than on real hardware.

IMO there are very few good reasons to choose dedicated hardware (real or Analogue) over a MiSTer for fully supported platforms, and those would basically come down to a personal nostalgia for the original hardware or a desire to collect and play actual cartridges. Almost everything else can be done equally well or better for less money by a MiSTer and maybe a couple of addon parts.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Totally agree. My real hardware scart setup consists only of a 1Chip SFC and SD2SNES, Saturn, and PS1 and 2.
I'm really glad I didn't put money into PC Engine, Megadrive, and NES. They are super cool consoles but I didn't have them as a kid, so the MiSTer is an amazing way for me to experience them without worrying about failing MegaCD drives or getting RGB out of an NES.

I really hope the MiSTer can replace my PS1 and Saturn because I'm tired of dealing with burning discs for them.
I'm really not sure if I would sell any of my original hardware but if I were starting from scratch today there is no way I would recommend anything beyond a MiSTer. It's been such a good investment.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

But what about savestates?!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

one core at a time. the main branch of the nes emulator has them and that is the most important

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Kazvall posted:

But what about savestates?!

That's true, those would be really nice for the SNES RPGs. I would mostly use them for convenience like a suspend feature if my toddler suddenly needs help.
I actually don't think I've ever tried them out on th SD2SNES.
I don't have blister or adapters to use legit Snes controllers so that's an added benefit too I guess.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I limit the amount of roms I have to the games I owned as a child/manchild collector, and when I want to add a new rom I look up it’s price on eBay and and deposit that amount to my savings account.

I like it, it’s working quite well for me. It’s how I’ve overcome the choice paradox emulation can give you.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So you are paying yourself rather than the rights holder of the software you are using? Makes sense.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there a central place I can go for MiSTer news? Mine should be here by Tuesday, but I'm trying to catch up before then. Also trying to see what people with 4K screens do

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's the main benefits of a MiSTer over an Android box running emulators?

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

bowmore posted:

What's the main benefits of a MiSTer over an Android box running emulators?

Zero display or input lag, support for both HDMI and analog displays outputting at the original resolution/sync rate, emulation at the hardware rather than software level, and most of all a warm fuzzy sense of elitism.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
very nice

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there a central place I can go for MiSTer news? Mine should be here by Tuesday, but I'm trying to catch up before then. Also trying to see what people with 4K screens do

The MiSTer Discord has a News channel that updates every time something noteworthy happens.

I mostly use mine on a 4K set, and it depends on how well your tv handles scaling. For a super sharp picture you can edit the MiSTer.ini to vscale_mode=1 or 2, then change video_mode=0 to video_mode=12 for 1920x1440, or video_mode=1920,128,208,336,1200,1,3,38,193160 for 1200p. The latter is what I use, as almost every core scales more cleanly.

If you don't mind a softer image you can leave vscale_mode at 0 and the picture will stretch to take up the entire height of the screen.

Once you have those base settings locked in you can tinker with scandoubler scanlines or filters to see what feels right.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Little FYI, if you're committed on getting the RTC module, please avoid buying from a random seller like this one on Amazon. Someone in another forum bought it asking if it'd work and I told them to be wary of it due to the reviews of it ruining the housing of the connector but they didn't see my post in time and ended up ruining their connector in much the same way the reviewers did.

All I can really say is, try to buy your parts from shops that are dedicated to MiSTer stuff (like MiSTer Addons) so you can potentially avoid a lot of grief.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To play devil's advocate a tiny bit, I do think that long term something like a pi will get there with runahead as they get more and more powerful (right now I think it's limited to only being viable on a few 2D cores). And on the MiSTer while the low latency mode of vsync_adjust=2 is amazing there's a good chance that whatever LCD you're using it on will have a lot of compatibility problems; I know that I can only really use it on NES, SNES, kind of Genesis/Sega CD on my TV.

For me much of the actual joy of owning a MiSTer has come from just tinkering with it; because it is drilling down to the hardware level, there's a wealth of things to test and tweak to achieve certain actions that at least has something closer to the feeling to me of opening such hardware up and implementing those changes yourself. The latest rabbit hole of the mt32-pi being one such example where I've gotten to learn all about how early MIDI and games worked. For example, did you know that despite coming out years before the Roland MT-32, Ultima III on the Atari ST can use MIDI, though you have to set it to an alternate/non-standard set of MIDI channels to actually use the MT-32/Munt side of it because it weirdly seems to only send that data on channel 1 which is otherwise not used on a MT-32 normally? Well, now you do know.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
whose excited for the motherfucking wonderswan?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The CPS2 beta is closing, which I imagine means we will see a public release in the near future. Jotego is also going to start resuming work on the Sega System 16 betas next week if you were wondering if more was going to come of that.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Zero display or input lag, support for both HDMI and analog displays outputting at the original resolution/sync rate, emulation at the hardware rather than software level, and most of all a warm fuzzy sense of elitism.

Dammit I can read this post in my head in your voice now

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

The only thing that is a minus for me with the MiSTer is the lack of a composite video signal. I have realized that I enjoy the slightly softened effect of a composite image on my flat screen TV, especially with 16 bit systems. Amiga and SNES look like crap to me with sharp pixels. Simon Belmont doesn’t even look like a human in Super Castlevania unless he’s displayed as a composite image.

The Genesis core does have a composite blend effect, but that just makes the image look ugly and smudged.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Tac Dibar posted:

The only thing that is a minus for me with the MiSTer is the lack of a composite video signal. I have realized that I enjoy the slightly softened effect of a composite image on my flat screen TV, especially with 16 bit systems. Amiga and SNES look like crap to me with sharp pixels. Simon Belmont doesn’t even look like a human in Super Castlevania unless he’s displayed as a composite image.

The Genesis core does have a composite blend effect, but that just makes the image look ugly and smudged.

You should check out the filters provided from the update script. There’s some pretty convincing ones now.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

composite and s vid, no fuss.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Little FYI, if you're committed on getting the RTC module, please avoid buying from a random seller like this one on Amazon. Someone in another forum bought it asking if it'd work and I told them to be wary of it due to the reviews of it ruining the housing of the connector but they didn't see my post in time and ended up ruining their connector in much the same way the reviewers did.

All I can really say is, try to buy your parts from shops that are dedicated to MiSTer stuff (like MiSTer Addons) so you can potentially avoid a lot of grief.

This is info I wish I would have known a couple of months ago when I got one off an eBay seller with a great feedback rating and ended up breaking part of the plastic off of the connector support. It ended up working fine, but the cosmetic damage was done to the DE10 Nano.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

TealShark posted:

This is info I wish I would have known a couple of months ago when I got one off an eBay seller with a great feedback rating and ended up breaking part of the plastic off of the connector support. It ended up working fine, but the cosmetic damage was done to the DE10 Nano.

If it makes you guys feel better this happened to me too. Although it doesn't really seem to matter too much, damaging the DE10 itself was a bummer.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I ordered all my stuff off of MisterAddons just to be safe. I knew I ran the risks with Amazon and something like this can be entirely frustrating for me — rather not deal with that.

Given all that I’ve ordered off of MisterAddons, is there anything else I need to be set and ready to go?

Here’s everything I got and what it includes:

DE10 Nano (8GB micro SD, power adapter)
USB Hub (DC splitter/switch, USB bracket, 14mm standoffs)
Standard IO (heat sink, fan)
SDRAM 128MB
Audio Tape Input board
Bluetooth adapter
Real Time Clock

Already have a keyboard and mouse ready to go, Bluetooth controller also ready to go.

I only really opted in for the RTC and ADC-In because of FOMO. I can do ethernet, since that makes sense to free up USB ports for whatever else, I do need an HDMI cable, and then I already have a 256GB micro SD card that I plan to use with this. Is there anything else that I’m missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I'll just say that if you have a NAS on your network you can easily just get by with that 8gb card. It's especially helpful for the MegaCD and TurboCD libraries.