Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean, if they're making Karin the Designated Fanservice Character on the women's side, they should have at least made Joachim her counterpart on the men's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A male fanservice character in a game from 2005?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
My girlfriend considers Yuri a male fan service character. Kurando too.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
I really like the contrast between Anastasia's ultimate armor and Blanca's, and how they're both equal in power.
"This is the robe of an ancient world-saving saint that will be used to protect the world again."
"This is a sack full of acorns collected by a dog's deceased owner. Her love grants protection to a very good boy."

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

StillFullyTerrible posted:

I really like the contrast between Anastasia's ultimate armor and Blanca's, and how they're both equal in power.
"This is the robe of an ancient world-saving saint that will be used to protect the world again."
"This is a sack full of acorns collected by a dog's deceased owner. Her love grants protection to a very good boy."

Look, I'm just saying if I die before my dog and someone tries to hit her, I will straight up come back and take that hit for her (before hitting them back), so this checks out

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
I'm not saying it in a joke way, I find it legit cool that a mundane item of personal significance imbued with sufficient meaning is as powerful as an ancient relic.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Picayune posted:

Also you got to watch a Japanese studio try to handle Native American characters. I do not remember how oof this was, but that may mean that I deliberately blocked it out.

on the other hand Al Capone and Eliot Ness were kind of hilarious

Well...

https://images.app.goo.gl/LPyfeW9PLdomh5jC9

You probably did block it out.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Didn't Wild arms 3 have a First Nations character?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

At least she's a cool main character, in and out of battle. This one doesn't fare so well.

Violet_Sky posted:

Didn't Wild arms 3 have a First Nations character?

From a fantasy counterpart Native American tribe, he's the cool womanizing goofball with an emphasis on magic. Don't know if that makes him more down to earth or is kinda offensive in it's own way.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 21, 2021

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I imagine the fact that he's not explicitly a first nations character from america softens the blow somewhat.

The fact that he isn't in a buckskin bikini also helps.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
And finally caught up! Fell off reading LPs for a while but I spent the last few weeks reading through the Koudelka and original Shadow Hearts threads in addition to this one. It's been a hell of a wild ride, almost enough to make me want to play them myself (but since I could never get PCSX2 to run very well and I have less than zero interest in ponying up for physical copies of games that go for triple digit figures USED, gonna have to pass). Gonna be sad to finally reach the end at some point soon, but so it goes.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXXVI: The Doll House - Eastern Branch

We are returning to the dungeon well today since... hell, we still have three optional dungeons to go. Today's adventure takes us back to the mean streets of Yokohama for perhaps the final time. And remembering Yokohama has multiple streets since it really is laid out unclearly. The one street that seems like it would lead somewhere due to the camera emphasis just exits the map and the one that looks like a dead-end is the second half of the town. I definitely didn't get confused about where the hell the plot trigger for this next bit was located...

Music: Rising Sun ~ Japanese Town

It's actually probably more confusing because you begin Yokohama in the eastern half of the city starting from that inn where Ishimura was staying early in Disc 1. But the game, upon return visits, starts you in the western half of town which... kind of had nothing going on and you just ran through it once. Whatever. The point is, there's now this man in a blue suit loitering outside the inn and we want to speak to him. Again, do not ask me how one is meant to figure out this trigger on their own without mindlessly going through the entire game and talking to every single NPC in hopes of new dialogue or a newly spawned copy and pasted NPC from the pool of about a dozen models to cast new insight.

Buy the guide, jackass! The RPG mantra of the day.

What? You mean Cornelia?
Cornelia, huh...? Oh, sorry. It's just that she looks just like a doll I saw a long time ago...
A doll that looks like Cornelia? Why don't you tell me more about it?
All right. It was nearly thirty years ago... A French doll maker moved into that mansion up ahead. The dolls he made were exquisite! I remember thinking as a child that they looked alive.
Thirty years ago? French? Could it be...? ...And does he still live there?
No, nobody's seen him for a long time now.
I'd reckon about 30 years, hence the modifier on the statement's timeframe.
I hear he lost his only daughter to an accident just before he disappeared. I don't know if he went off somewhere with his broken heart, or whether he just died alone in his mansion.
Is the mansion haunted or cursed?
Absolutely! Heckin' cursed and haunted to boot!
...Great.

His daughter, huh...? I see...
The mansion's been left just as it was. If you're interested, you could go and check it out.

Returning to the Japan world map, we now gain the Doll House as a new location just to the south of Yokohama. As may recall, a Doll House location was a spooky mansion optional dungeon in the endgame of Shadow Hearts 1 which was Alice's exclusive area. That one was, of course, back in Europe as the back half of the game was entirely contained there. But it seems Japan has its own Doll House dungeon variant. This tradition continues into the third game as well. The developers just really like haunted mansions that heavily involve creepy-rear end old dolls and murdered children surrounding local residencies of evil.

Music: In Darkness of a Labyrinth ~ Dungeon

This is one of those strange Shadow Hearts dungeons that have a ton of effort locked off in an easy-to-miss, completely out-of-the-way optional area. It reminds me a lot of Kowloon Walled City in that it's very survival horror-esque in its trappings and is nearly entirely unique assets. Which is a breath of fresh air after the last two optional dungeons were the laziest asset flips that weren't just another goddamn cave in a game that’s weakest foot forward is definitely its dungeon design.

Gepetto, you really seem interested in that doll maker. Do you think you know him or something?
What do you think all doll makers and puppeteers know one another?
Uhh... no. Not really?
Well, they do! It's a part of the trade.
Oh... huh... OK?

Well... Look, sorry, but could you leave this one to me? It won't take long, I promise.
Oh, yeah. Sure.
Sorry, but I think I'd better take over here.

And so we need to form the Puppeteer Party which has Gepetto as a mandatory member. Gepetto is lagging the furthest behind on levels of anyone, even somehow slightly behind Lucia despite the fact I immediately dumped her after... the incident.

But, unlike Anastasia and Kurando's lackluster level situation, that's barely a problem for this dungeon since it is breezy in length and combat is barely an issue. It's like they knew nobody is probably going to use Gepetto... We'll be taking Yuri, Karin, and Joachim for this trek. We kind of need to maintain Joachim being up to snuff with his leveling. He might have some fighting to do in the future...

There is a door in the back of the first floor but entering it now would be a waste of our time. Like literally, it would just be Gepetto declaring he doesn't know the hell to do yet and they should investigate elsewhere if we looked at anything back there. So instead, we are going to head upstairs to actually unlock the ability to progress in the dungeon.

Pay no mind to the incredibly unnerving, cobweb and dust-covered faded paints out of nightmare lining the decaying walls of the mansion. That's fine! It's fine. The guy who did the cover illustrations of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark just vacationed in Japan one summer in the early 1900s. Instead, we should worry more about...

Music: Deep in Coma ~ Battle in Japan

...The giant monster cockroach infestation of the Doll House. The only random battle encounter in the Doll House are Bailey, which is a really huge cock-up localization of "Buggy." Somehow, Shadow Hearts 1 got that right. It's bizarre how much better translated the sequel is overall except for the few times it most definitely is not.

This just in, Bailey are buggers of the Dark element with 210 HP and usually come in fairly large swarms of 6-8. But they like to bunch up in clusters allowing for easy AOE magic disposal in short order. A task even the under-leveled Gepetto could, in theory, perform. If he wasn't so drat slow and the rest of the party can usually sort it out beforehand. If we fail to do so, the Bailey abilities including smashing their face into folks for rather paltry damage. Or far more taxingly, performing Nightmare which swarms in an ergh... well, swarm of fellow monster roaches to drop a targeted character's health to 1 HP. Anastasia can learn to summon a nightmarish swarm of demonic roaches by taking a Snapshot of them if you're so inclined. I personally do not feel comfortable giving that ability to that gremlin princess.

Beyond that, we're going to be running around this mansion quite a bit doing perhaps more puzzle-solving elements than the flipping switches and riding moving platforms and hundred and twenty times of Neam Ruins or... just running circuits down lengthy samey corridors that Tiffauges Castle entailed. Or the combination of the two Immortal Mountain blessed us with... It's a good thing Gepetto packed a magic lantern somewhere in his coat. Perhaps he borrowed it from Karin now that she's done with the Fort of Regret's basement levels.

In any case, there are two rooms on the second floor of the Doll House. We are going to ignore the first one and go to the one at the end of the hall to find the plot trigger to begin progression in this mansion.

Who laid out this mansion? Who puts couches and other furniture at that kind of angles? It's like your dead grandpa's hosed up bed placement at the beginning of Stardew Valley up in here. This place was destined to be cursed. By the way, mentioning the earlier amount of detail this place gets? All those boarded-up windows have animated wind knocking around the crudely nailed in boards and they've not repeated windows either. A bizarre amount of craft put into this place after the copypasta hellholes the last few bonus dungeon sessions have put forward.

On the table in the back of the room, one particular book, among the 17 other toppled tomes of near-identical look and size, catches Gepetto's eye and he deduces it as the diary of the mysterious doll maker of the Doll House. We need to read this to get anything done in today's dungeon plundering. So let's invade some privacy!

> July 17 <

No matter what I do, this emptiness
inside still tortures me. I know what
I'm attempting is foolish and a waste of
time, yet I keep trying...

...Trying to make a doll to take my
daughter's place... with her sparkling
eyes, her lips, her porcelain skin...

> July 20 <

There's a mountain of ugly failures all
around me. Vacant stares, lifeless lips,
cracked skin... As I look up at them, I
feel once again my limitations as
a doll maker...

> July 24 <

My teacher once told me about a crest
that holds the power of a demon. That
crest is here in my hand now. Where in
the world did I get it? These past few
days are nothing but a blank...

But that's not what's important right
now. If what my teacher told me is true,
my salvation is near. I can use the
power of this crest to resurrect my
daughter's soul...!

> July 25 <

There's been a change. Some of my
failures have developed wills of their
own and started talking! This is the
crest's power! I can feel my spirits
lifting. I named the talking dolls.

Rebecca, always all alone. Illeana, who
tells nothing but lies. Gina, who loves
to trick people. Well-behaved Barbara.
Quiet Diane. Tina and Emma, who get
along so well with each other.

My hope has turned to conviction. My
daughter will be reborn! All I need now
is a vessel for her soul...

> July 30 <

The doll is ready... my masterpiece. A
lovely doll, with features just like my
daughter's. I'll finish the process in
the cellar. I've put a code lock on the
door to keep out intrusions.

At last I can be with my daughter again!

So you know him? This doll maker?
If it is who I think it is.
All us doll makers know each other. We're a tight brotherhood of like-minded individuals.
Weird and I don't want to know more.

But it said something about a code...?
Do you want to go down into the cellar?
Huh? Did somebody say something?
I know the code. I can tell you if you want...
That doll is talking! Just like it said in the diary!
Ugh. Didn't I do this once already...?
...No?
Not this adventure. This is like saving the world journey round four for me in two games. Some things are starting to repeat.
Do you want help or not?!

Yes, please, Miss. Could you tell us the code?
I'll tell you the code if you say my name.
Your name?
Ever since Papa's been gone, nobody ever says my name. It's such a pretty name too...

We do want to talk to the doll behind the desk here. However, first, we can investigate behind the askew couch to the left of the room to find another of Anastasia's Silver Angels. Remember, getting all of those (five in total) and returning them to Edgar is another seldom mentioned sidequest on the docket. Mostly because they just all kind of fall into our hands by doing other sidequests and there's no going out of our way to obtain most of them other than being diligent exploring.

Anyway, let's talk to this clearly on the level animated porcelain doll sitting in front of a painting of the offspring of a sickly vampire and a Redead from The Legend of Zelda. As you do.

This doll's name is...

We are given a list of the names mentioned in the diary. If you don't want to scroll through that diary, the gist was:
  • Illeana - Big fat liar.
  • Barbara - Well-behaved nerd.
  • Rebecca - Loner.
  • Tina - Always hangs with Emma.
  • Emma - Tight with Tina.
  • Diane - Quiet.
  • Gina - Trickster.
Spoilers: All the rooms we passed earlier contain multiple dolls within them except this one. Which only contains the one doll. This means this is Rebecca.

However, we are going to intentionally botch the name here which pisses off the doll in question and throws us into a battle.

Music: Deep in Coma ~ Battle in Japan

Now while I said Bailey were the only random battle encounters in the Doll House, angering the dolls will have us face a unique enemy -- Torso. These are Wind elemental animated dolls of the sinister intent variety with 225 HP. Despite coming in groups of six, they're all easy dispatched with any higher-end AOE magic attack. They only do around 100 HP of damage if they do get the chance to attack.

The reason we initiated this encounter on purpose is that these are one of the only permanently missable enemies in the game. They're only accessible via the dolls and once a doll is given its proper name it cannot be angered. So we could have a permanent empty slot in our Library entries and we simply cannot have that! The lost lore would be devastating.

In any event, now that our bestiary is updated we're free to give the naming thing another shot and will correctly select Rebecca this time.

...I'm sorry. I don't know the whole code. The first letter is "B." That's all I know. But the other girls know the rest. They all want you to say their names too. If you do, I think they'll tell you.
All right. Thank you, Rebecca.
Say, Mister. Your marionette has the smell of blood... She must've taken many lives...
She used to before we got a full party of adventurers and suddenly my arcane puppetry wasn't good enough for battlin'. Phooey.
...I see. If you have your marionette do the killing, you don't have to get your own hands dirty...
The perfect crime. Devious.
I'd never do something like that... <strokes beard and ponders doing something like that>

The dead child's soul leaves the doll. That's one down.

We now return to the previous hallway and enter the door we skipped on the way to the Rebecca Chambers. This leads to another dilapidated, clutter-filled bedroom. It's worth noting a third Crucifix can be looted from just south of the entrance to this room. It's not like a bunch of overgrown roaches and dolls with dead children souls for stuffing are going to need it. That aside, this room three dolls located within it. The first one is on the far side of the room straight across from the entrance.

This doll is concerned for others. Tina and Emma come as a pair, so it's neither of them. It's chatty so it's not Diane. It could be tricking us or lying. But, this seems like well-behaved behavior so let's go with Barbara.

So to thank you, let me tell you. The third letter is "I." ...To tell the truth, I'm jealous of Emma. At least she can cry. I can't even shed tears. Papa said he was going to use them on a new girl, and so he took out my eyes. Now I can't see, and I can't cry.
But I can die. I am going to go with that now. Barf!
So, let's see. She said the third letter was "I," huh?

There are two dolls in the northwest corner of the room. We already know the crying doll is Emma. This doll is not crying. This doll is silent. Which would lead one to believe it's Diane, the quiet one. However, remember there's Gina that loves to trick people and Diane was mentioned as quiet which is different from completely mute. So, let's go with Gina. I see through your ruse. And I already demonstrated the Torso so I don't want another unnecessary fight!

Guess I have to tell you. The seventh and final letter is "T." Say, Mister. Do you know why I pretend to be other girls? Because a doll is nothing but a substitute for somebody else, anyway. Even your own marionette is a substitute for somebody you love, isn't she?

Dolls are starting to get all philosophical up in here. Moving on, we've already had it confirmed this is Emma. So that's an easy one.

*sniffle* Papa is dead. He made us, then he went away and left us all alone! But I have to go on living and crying like this for hundreds of years...
Hundreds of years? But he only made you around 30 years ago...
Time is hard to tell when you're a doll, alright?! Don't be mean!

We can now leave the second floor behind us and return downstairs to the first door we originally skipped. Which leads to the final chamber full of dolls. "Doll" is starting to stop sounding like a real word. Putting that aside, the first doll is just to the side of the room's entryway.

Then you should watch out. See those two there? One of them tells nothing but lies.

OK, we know that one of the dolls has to be the wayward Tina and the other has to be the quiet one, Diane. We still have Illeana who is full of poo poo. And who else would more appropriate of claiming someone of being a liar than a liar themselves. Projection is a powerful drug.

The fourth letter of the cellar code is "D." That isn't a lie, so relax. Fooled by a mere doll. You must be pretty mad at yourself!
But, you didn't fool me at all...
We dolls aren't the human's servants, you know. We get sad. We get mad sometimes too. And we might even curse and kill our owners too if we feel like it!

Very edgy. The next doll is on a shelf in the back of the room and this is all it has to say. That seems fairly quiet to me. So this must be Diane.

Talking dolls are spooky, aren't they? People know dolls can't talk. That's why they like having them around.
Ventriloquists are an affront to god.

Diane over there never talks to me. It's so boring!

By order of elimination and the fact she likes talking to other people, thus likely has a missing friend, we know that this one is Tina.

Now I'll tell you the code. The sixth letter is "E." Don't forget, now! ...Phew. I'm tired. Dolls have to be so nice and friendly to humans all the time, or they just get rid of us...

We now have all the letters of the secret code to the doll maker's cellar and wouldn't you know it, there is a sinister-rear end-looking door in the back of this very room that has an input device for some kind of code. We must manually input all the letters. I hope your memory isn't complete rubbish. But if it is...

The code is B-R-I-D-G-E-T. Good thing the mysterious doll maker never mentioned his departed daughter he was mourning to the point of dabbling in demonic arts by name in that journal. Else this whole code business scattered between the talking dolls would have been moot.

What are you all gloomy about? You're not taking what these dolls said to heart, are you?
Huh? ...No. No, of course not...
It's not like you crafted your creepy little puppet girl after someone you've lost. If that were the case, it would be super weird you dress it up in fetish costumes and have it kill things for you.
<coughs> Yes... that would be... unusual. Let's get going.
...You didn't do that, did you? That thing isn't supposed to be your dead daughter or anything, right?
<walks away> Watch your step, it's dark down here.

Tune in next time as we descend into the dark depths of the Doll House and discover the masterpiece doll. Doll doll doll. I can say with utmost certainty there is no way it will be tremendously evil, try to manipulate Gepetto in any way related to his past or result in any kind of boss fight. When has that ever happened before in a video game?

Preposterous! Utter madness. Unheard of!

Gepetto Concept Art - It was still the 1800s when Gepetto last stood up straight.

Gepetto Head Concept Art - Cursed images of Gepetto without glasses or a hat.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sounds quite impossible indeed!

So that’s why I was missing an enemy last time I played this. Must have been following the guide too closely. :(

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

Do you want to go down into the cellar?

In case you care, this looks bad when dark mode is on.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

ultrafilter posted:

In case you care, this looks bad when dark mode is on.

Fucks given: Zero. This LP is cursed. I don't loving care about anything that isn't finishing this cursed LP.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 23, 2021

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This LP was here long before Dark Mode. Also, not every goon uses Dark Mode.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm in dark mode and I didn't notice until it was pointed out. But yeah, I can't see any reason to expect or any writer to try to optimize both. Doing involved things with images does things to people... or so I've heard from the voices.

So best not to peer to deep into that abyss
please join me, its too warm in here.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This is some Henry Stauf poo poo

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I mean you can let the OP know about stuff that and they can do whatever with the issue, address it or ignore it, dealer's choice! It's when people get pushy about it that they can rightfully be told to gently caress off.

That said I didn't even notice Dark Mode was a thing (I only came back to this forum recently to read this LP) and it hurts my stupid lovely eyes less than Light Mode (mostly by not making such a massive contrast to the mostly dim screenshots), so I think I'll stick with this one for a while personally.

As for the update itself, can't wait to see what level of Creepy-rear end Bullshit we stumble upon in this cellar. Though we've already seen the Tamacoss for this game and it's gonna be pretty difficult to top THAT level of creepy. But if any series can manage that, it's this one.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The dollhouse is legit one of the best dungeons in the game, though I realize that isn't saying much.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I never did the Doll House for this game, but did for FtNW. And knowing how much better this game is most areas than that one even with some of the gameplay rebalances it made, it's irritating to see the same annoying puzzle gimmick used there came from here and wasn't another weird quirk exclusive to that one.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 23, 2021

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

All will be well in the end as LPArchive does not have dark mode, provided baldurrk ever updates it

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
There's something about how sad he looks in the second set of concept art that kind of breaks my heart a little.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

And that chin...could Gepetto actually be Kato from the future???

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXXVII: Crimson Thread

Back at it again at the Doll House II: The Reckoning Revelations ~ Origins. I see no reason not to enter the sealed cellar of the mad doll maker who practiced dark arts with demonic crests to resurrect his dead daughter and accidentally imprisoned the souls of several other dead children into assorted failure dolls. It's probably fine and dandy down there. Though, we do have three Crucifixes that protect against all status ailments. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to equip those on our party before venturing forth because, well... You never know!

<nods> Hmm. She's every bit as good as Cornelia. A.T. certainly improved after he left me...
A.T.?
He was my student, back when I was young. It's such a shame he's dead, with talent like this.
What does "A.T." stand for?
<shrug> Heck if I know?
But, wasn't he your student? How could you not know?
Tch. We have been traveling for nearly a year.
Yes, and...?
What is my surname?
Umm... Err... Gepetto?
...Gepetto?
Nope.
Sorry, I guess I've forgotten.
That's because none of you ever even bothered to ask my full name, Ms. Koenig. So sorry I don't remember what A.T. stands far, dang it!
OK! OK! I'm sorry. You made your point...
Stop picking on her. That's a trick question anyway. Gepetto is just your stage name unless Pinocchio is hiding under that hat.
And who asked you?!

The chair with the doll begins rocking.

<jumps back> Yikes! This one talks too!
This is the eighth one we've seen now. How are you still getting startled by this?
The one Gepetto has already creeps me out and that one doesn't even talk. Dolls are freaky, OK? This place sucks.

Do you think "Father" means your student, Gepetto?
<scratches beard> Oh, my... That voice...! I-it can't be...!
That's right. It's Cornelia. You haven't forgotten me, Father!
Cornelia...?
How could I possibly forget you?! You're my... daughter... The one that died all those long years ago... My god! I never thought I'd hear your voice again...!
That marionette's name is Cornelia too? Is she my replacement?
No! It's nothing like that! Cornelia is... I mean, this puppet is...
That doll is SO much creepier now.
...I am going to have to incline to agree...
Hey, isn't your outfit one of her borrowed dresses?
Oh... no. Why did you have to remind me of that?!
Well... there's always that outfit Rog gave you.
...I'll power through the new uncomfortable feeling of this one.
Cornelia...

You don't have to get flustered! ...But, you know, she really does look just like me, when I was little.

Cornelia and Gepetto are transported into the Fiddy Zone.

I was so sick, I couldn't go outside and play, so they were my only friends.
Yes, I remember. I made them for you so you wouldn't get lonely when I was away traveling for work.
I did have to hone my craft. Out on the road. Making puppets.
And one day, when you were out traveling, I died...
Ironically, crushed by a pile of timber you used to make dolls.
I was never lonely while I was alive. But Mother didn't put any of the puppets in my coffin. So now I'm all alone here. I've been all alone all this time, for decades now...
My soul trapped in this doll in rural Japan.
My poor Cornelia...
Aren't you coming here yet, Father? I want us to live together again. I want to make friends with the new puppets you'll make me...! I bet I could be good friends with your new Cornelia too.
<nods> ...Maybe you're right. I've lived a long life already. Maybe it is about time I went and joined you there. I'm sorry, everybody, but I'm staying. I'm going to be with Cornelia now...
Father! No!
...Huh?
Don't go, Father! I need you here with me...! You can't go! Don't leave me...!
<nods> ...Of course! I never realized it until just now. You've always been by my side, haven't you, all this time.

<shakes head>
Gepetto! Get ahold of yourself!
This is why you don't get in the main party. You keep spacing out with these senior moments.
I was being influenced by the evil doll, smartass.
Oh great. That's MUCH better.

There's no need to get so rude! ...Hehe. Guess I had you worried there for a minute. But I'm all right now. Hmph! And I call myself a puppeteer! I was being controlled myself, just like one of my own puppets!
...Aw, you came to your sense. That's no fun! Just when I thought I had a new puppet to play with...
First of all, you look nothing like my cute little daughter. Second of all, why would my daughter, who passed away in France, have her soul transferred to Japan? Thirdly, she only departed twenty years ago. Why would she be in a thirty-year-old puppet? Your pitch has several holes in it, whatever you are.
I didn't think I would have to try very hard on such an easy mark.

You've been very, very naughty. I guess we'll just have to teach you a little lesson!

A lesson? What interesting things this human says. Fine. I was bored, anyway. If I can't have you for my puppet, at least I can have fun destroying you!

Music: Hardcore to the Brain ~ Mid Boss in Japan

While I feel like Orb Chaos Redux would be more appropriate to resurface in the Doll House, given that's where its last incarnation appeared, I suppose we'll have to settle for the Lord of Destruction, Baal. As with most optional dungeon bosses, Baal adheres to the Non-Elemental denomination and comes with a sizable 7200 HP. This is definitely tougher than Neo Amon but not nearly as rough as Orobas. Insofar as Shadow Hearts: Covenant bosses get particularly rough.

Baal brings the usual endgame assortment of high-end magic spells to the table. Its physical strikes are somewhat damaging but as has been the case, it's four against one. Healing up from getting smacked around isn't the most taxing of ordeals.

The lord of destruction that spends its time hanging out all day in a basement trying to trick 70-year-old men via haunted dolls is that it really enjoys time fuckery magick. Its attacks can inflict Delay and Slow, hence the Crucifixes to nip that in the bud. And frankly, everyone in the main party should just be wearing a Crucifix as we get 'em since nobody likes status ailments. It also will cast Gale on itself to speed up its movements. The only counter is to cast an Arc-Gale of our own since it's one of those jerkstore bosses that will get pissed and gain an extra turn to rebuff itself before taking its next action. Even with that, good grief is lagging in levels Gepetto slow. I literally could not sync up a four person Combo for the first boss fight since probably Disc 1 because Gepetto just got so out of sync turn-wise that often characters got two turns in a round occasionally before Gepetto got one. Or Baal would attack twice before Gepetto sauntered over to participate.

Beyond that, it also has the annoying Mental Break ability to drain MP. Crucifixes fix that. I did not give a Crucifix to Gepetto. Who ate that and Slow to become basically dead for the rest of the battle.

At the very least Yuri got to use one of his new Neo Amon abilities, "Die, Scumbag!" where he... just flies into the air and shoots a hundred fireballs. You know that one attack they do in every Dragon Ball Z fight after a point. The one that universally ends with the smoke clearing and the villain is completely unphased. It has possibly a zero percent success rate. It's that. But this actually stings enemies quite a bit!

Gepetto himself, until he ran out of MP and I was not wasting valuable consumables I'll never use before finishing the game, at least brought Advent to the table. Equipping the doll fashioned after Gepetto's dead daughter with the clothes of his dead niece gives the duo the ability to unleash Alice's ultimate attack from Shadow Hearts 1 which hits for a sizable amount of Light Elemental damage. The attack is exactly the same as the one from Shadow Hearts 1 except the magic laser beam pyramid's eye now has curly eyelashes on it. And when I say the attack is exactly the same animation, I mean down to the part where the caster's panty flashes the camera with a low angle zoom-up for five seconds. Thanks, Shadow Hearts: Covenant... Your dedication to consistency... is very inconsistent and often ill-advised.

At the end of the day, Team Puppeteer defeat the hell beast that... wait, was it actually just locked in the basement and so bored it did this whole ruse? Did Baal possess A.T.'s masterwork puppet to trick him into dying in the basement here. And curse the house. But... oh poo poo, what do you mean the old man put a complex locking mechanism to the basement and locked it tight on the way? Aww, poo poo! Baal done goofed again!

Music: Result ~ Victory

For our efforts, we get a boatload of EXP and Cash as well as the second of two Flare Brooches which we can stick on Kurando seeing as those only benefit Harmonixers and there is only the two present in the game.

Oh well. I suppose it's fun being the one that's controlled every once in a while. I guess I'll come with you.

Baal likes it both ways in the S&M kinks and grants us another high-end Magic Crest to add to our overflowing collection.

I thought you stroked out for a second and I dunno if healing magic fixes that.
Ha ha ha! I guess I was just about to go join my wife in heaven! Thank goodness Cornelia saved me... Thank you, Cornelia.
I'll take it easy on the racy outfits in the future now that I know you are with me.
...Little late for that.

Gepetto briefly has a red glow from his stomach indicating some magical link or his self-destruct sequence has activated. It'd be a hell of a twist if Gepetto was an automaton puppet this whole time.

What in the...? There's a string tying our fingers together!
...Oh, yeah! My father told me about a saying they have in Japan once... He said when a man and woman are bound together by fate, that there's a crimson thread that connects them from birth.
So Gepetto and Cornelia are bound together by fate?
...Looks like it.
It must be true. Cornelia and I will be together until the very end!

Yeah, one would think the fates of father and daughter are probably linked by fate. It's a fairly safe bet. Certainly better than a dweeb from the city and a country bumpkin being bound to fate by a magic space meteor blowing one of them up. But more importantly, we have earned Gepetto's ultimate weapon which is fated to give him +186 Physical and +211 Special Damage. And alongside that, the Doll House dungeon draws to a close.

Not the longest stretch between dungeons. But a stretch filling a few gaps nonetheless.

Monsters:

EDF! EDF!

Before they can learn the values of love and wisdom, all children wake up every day and choose violence.

This thing looks like a guy in a rubber suit from a shoestring monster mash movie from an MST3K episode.

Characters:

Nothing makes for faster friends than a guy who squats in your attic for half a year being a crazy demon-possessed person, barely talks to you, and then immediately ditches you when your usefulness has ended to go get laid.

Gepetto and Cornelia Concept Art - Gepetto seen irritated he's slowly devolving into a gnome.

Cornelia Puppet Show Art - Is a hosed up NieR boss fight about to start?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nice "Your Name" reference. Hah.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

One would think a demon possessing the power of the Fiddy Zone would be more of a threat.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Hopefully this doesn't lead to Gepetto talking to his possibly-haunted-by-his-actual-dead-daughter doll more often. That would be creepy. We'd have to put him in a home with other senile old folks. Which wouldn't really affect the team's overall combat ability too much, but gotta have the group balanced out, you know?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

The Dark Id posted:

This is why you don't get in the main party. You keep spacing out with these senior moments.

I don't think Yuri has much room to talk, considering he has a magic twig wedged in his soul giving him random bouts of curse-induced narcolepsy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

He punches things really hard.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Its Flayn, but 20 years early

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

I'm the glaring/smirking sun and moon in the upper corners.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

FtNW had the unfortunate problem of gating some of the stuff required to both get the good ending as well as power up the Yuri character's fusions behind sidequests/places you'd least expect. As in, some of the items required to power up the Yuri character's fusions were hidden in that game's equivalent of the Trials of Solomon. And it was a relatively short game by comparison, so if you wanted Soul Energy, running from battles on a regular basis would get you back in the long run.

Which is to say that if you wanted the good ending, you had to power up all the Yuri character's fusions to max, and then get the final fusion, but whoops, you have to power that one up to max too, and by that point, it is well in the endgame. So unless you want to grind mindlessly on encounters, it's best to use some of the endgame sidequests as Soul Energy fodder. That's not getting into how the good ending is creepy as poo poo, and while the bad ending is kinda depressing, it's at least kinda hot in the same way that there are people genuinely horny for Dark Samus and Lady Dimitrescu. grindier.

Some of those items needed to power up the Yuri character were also locked behind the No. 1 prize of several lotteries as well, which is pretty infuriating.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXXVIII: Mark of the Wolves

Right. It's time to close out another questline. It's time for the War of the Hungry Wolves to end with the conclusion of the Wolf Bouts. Defeating Henri in Tiffauges Castle unlocks the penultimate Wolf Bout which requires a revisit to the Forest of the Wind.

Entering the forest and taking a jog down the only road there for a couple of screens, we come upon ergh... Blanca?

Before we investigate this troubling matter, it miiiiiight be a good idea to equip a Leonardo's Bear on Blanca. And by that, I mean 100% essential.

Awroo... Awroo. (I thought I'd said goodbye to this world, but looks like we meet again!)

Awroo. Awroo. (Technically, I was a spirit already then and faded into the afterlife. More of a Sending than anything else.)
Awroo, awroo... (To fight you, I put aside shame and came back to life as my younger self.)
Awroo... (...When you were at the height of your glory, the King of the Wolves...?)
Awroo! Awroo! (Of course! I hear the humans even wrote a book about me. Though it was highly romanticized and came into scrutiny causing a years-long literary debate about depicting hostile wildlife as sympathetic creatures being a dangerous practice.)
...OK.

Awroo? Grrr... (Can't you feel your blood stirring? There's only one thing to do...)
Let's settle this thing right now.

Music: Soul Comet ~ Spirit of the Wolf

Ha! Enough talk. Come on, then, Blanca!

Music: Glint of Light ~ War of the Hungry Wolf

Cast Arc Shield. Repeatedly headbutt the youthful ghost of your grandfather. Become the new King of the Wolves. Young Lobo's only trick was he has 100% effective Instant Death and with that gone, he's a chump. Oh, and I guess he's still Fire Elemental and has 1280 HP if you're into knowing that kind of thing.

And now we get to steal the highest level Instant Death Judgment Ring modifier. This is absolutely worthless because every single boss in the game is immune to Instant Death as are half the enemies.

Music: ENDS

I managed to win... somehow. Never thought I'd be fighting my own blood relative... twice! Must be karma...
Awroo... Awroo... (I'm only here temporarily, anyway. I can't stay in this world long...)
Awroo... (I am actually breaking the rules regaining my youth and coming back twice...)
Awroo, awroo... (But thanks to you, I was able to be a warrior to the very end of my days...)
Awroo, awroo. (I would have preferred to have defeated you. But, what can you do...)
Awroo... (Lobo...)
Awroo... Awroo... (Blanca, you can't relax now just because you beat me. Ernest is even--)

Before Lobo can finish his sentence, he is whisked off into the afterlife of All Dogs Go to Heaven 2.

But the apparition is kind enough to leave us his pawprint to power up Soul Comet one last time.

Famed by man and beast
alike as the King of the
Wolves, he has returned
to the world of the
living for a final
duel with a lone wolf.

That's the second time we've heard mention of Ernest at the conclusion of a Wolf Bout. Could the organizer of an international fighting tournament possibly be up to villainy? That would be a first in the realm of martial arts tournaments. You know, other than Geese Howard, Wolfgang Krauser, Rugal Bernstein, Goenitz, M. Bison, Gill, Shang Tsung, Shao Khan, Heihachi Mishima, Kazuya Mishima--<list continues for 23 pages>

There may have been many tournament sponsors who were seemingly never up to nefarious deeds. But that's only because some war god, resurrected ancient warrior, or demon or some poo poo showed up at the tournament's conclusion before they could get the chance.

Perhaps it's time we checked back in on Montmartre to see if Ernest has returned to his spot after his sudden departure earlier in the game.

I don't usually mention Add-on Effects but we picked up a Delay 4 in the Neam Ruins. It may behoove us to equip that now. It can turn what is a somewhat tedious and bordering on difficult battle into a piece of cake. Note: This does need to be equipped BEFORE entering Montmartre. We are locked into events as soon as we enter.

Music: Town of Twilight ~ European Town

...I already don't like where this is going...

Yuri and Blanca approach the sports team mascot.

<shakes head rapidly and returns to dancing> Ernest? Never heard of him. I'm the Wolfman, wolf-suit star, beloved hero of all the little children!
<holds up hand and whispers> Kids, how would you like me to shake your hand under the Arc d'Triumph?
Yeah, all that makes you sound like a child molester. Blanca, go for the neck! I'm going to punch him in the crotch!
...Awroo, awroo! (At this point, who cares who you are? You're the fifteenth and final wolf.)
Hehe. That's right. But do you really think you can beat me? This isn't any ordinary wolf suit, you know. It's the fruit of all my long years of research, "Wolf Technology"! With this on, I'm the strongest hunter on earth! Go ahead and come at me, if you're fool enough to try!
Yeah, Blanca let's just go with that first plan.
Can't let this ridiculous guy win!

Music: Soul Comet ~ Spirit of the Wolf

The hell you will!

Music: Glint of Light ~ War of the Hungry Wolf

Now we face Ernest T. Seaton aka The Wolfman. Wolfman is matching Blanca being clad in a Wind Class fursuit and bringing 1800 HP to the table. Unprepared, this guy is actually tough seeing as a one on one duel and there's no hard counter to his bullshit. He's just strong. He does have Wolf Technology, after all.

We absolutely need to have a Shield up at all times. No need for a Barrier, since the Wolfman is all physical attacks. Sneaking in a Rage helps immensely as well since we're going to be relying on physical attacks too as Wolfman would take reduced damage from Blanca's go-to Soul Comet. Which is kind of a dick move for the technique powered up the entire questline.

With Shield up, Wolfman's standard attack string still does 55 damage. It's around 155 damage without Shield. I don't know about the 36% physical defense math there, game. Additionally, Wolfman's physical attacks have an SP lowering version which will just instantly eat 4 SP off of Blanca. Which if the battle is prolonged could spell trouble.

Ernest's most ridiculous yet damaging attack is the pinnacle of his Wolf Technology -- Rocket Fist! Using cutting-edge advancements in wolf science, Wolfman... pulls the glove off his suit and chucks it at Blanca's head. He then quickly runs over to recover it and put it back on while Blanca recovers from the blow. Somehow this does around 110-130 HP of damage with a Shield up and nearly 300 HP of damage without one. Ernest should take off the mascot suit and get into actual baseball with an arm like that.

The biggest thing with Ernest is he has Energy Charge which raises his Physical Attack power by 125% on the next turn. Blanca needs to take the next turn using Block or else he's going to eat poo poo. With Shield up and Blocking, it's barely an issue. Blanca taking it on the chin with an Energy Charge physical attack string is 350 damage easily. An unblocked Rocket Fist without Shield will outright kill Blanca in one hit, it deals nearly 800 HP of pain and still 500 HP with Shield up. Why is this middle-aged man in a fursuit so strong?!

This battle actually requires defending and healing and I nearly had to worry about my SP gauge for once. It's crazy to have a Shadow Hearts: Covenant boss battle that isn't just. Cast buffs. Dogpile. No pun intended.

That all said, I did hit Wolfman with that pesky Delay which completely torpedoed his momentum since Blanca was getting two turns to his every single turn.

Wolf Technology is no match for the genuine article.

And with that, the final Wolf Bout opponent is defeated. Now let's go see what Ernest has to say for himself after his unprecedented fighting tournament sponsor heel turn. The nerve!

That's what happens to guys who try to mask what they really are...

Ernest takes off his mask and starts trotting away but stops at the base of the stairs.

Grrr... Awroo! (Now tell me why you started this stupid competition in the first place.)

Ernest walks back and starts dancing. It's very odd.

About twenty years ago, I used to hunt wild beasts. That's when I ran into Lobo--as my enemy. After a fierce battle, I beat him.
He put up his best but even his keen wolf skills could not detect the claymore I had planted.
...That seems fighting dirty.
All is fair in the heat of battle.

But as soon as I defeated Lobo, I got an intense desire to fight even stronger wolves. But there weren't any wolves stronger than Lobo. I decided to create some by having wolves fight each other. That was the start of the Wolf Bout.
Grrr... (All that for the sake of your petty ego?)
<enters fighting stance> That's right. Well, I ended up losing to you, but I'm satisfied. I was happy just to fight a strong wolf like you.
The feeling is not mutual.
<goes back to dancing> But you still have a job to do. You have to kill me and get revenge for Lobo.

<shakes head> Awroo. (Don't care about that.)
Awroo... Awroo. (I cannot say I need revenge for an ancestor whose only interaction I had was fighting their ghost twice.)
Awroo... (And I don't want Tetsu trying to get revenge on me.)
Awroo! (That's right!)
Awroo. (Even though I would end him in a flash.)
<whimper>

<holds up paw> ...Thank you for everything, Blanca. And congratulations. Here's your final stamp!

Soul Comet has now been upgraded to its second form of Red Comet. I'm not sure why Blanca is summoning Char Aznable into battle but I'll take it. Though, in actuality, it's Soul Comet but red-tinted and at the end of the attack, Wolfman teleports in and gives an uppercut to the enemy. Sure... Why not? May as well return Wolf Technology to the side of the wolves.

A mysterious man who
plotted to destroy the
world of wolves. Finally
revealed to be Ernest.
His handmade wolf suit
is a vessel for
wolf technology.

Additionally, we gain the ultimate weapon for Blanca. Enemies become demoralized when they seem they are going against the best boy. The +197 Physical and +199 Special Attack also helps.

It's the fruit of my research. Animal Technology--surpassing even Wolf Technology! I'm sure it will help you in future battles.
Awroo... Awroo, awroo! (Beast medal, huh...? Pretty fancy name. Thanks. I'm sure it'll come in handy.)
A weapon to surpass Metal Wolf Chaos...
Awroo. (I don't know what that means.)

I might write some more animal hunting fanfiction. Begin a youth training program. Start a town. Maybe build a castle.
Awroo? (But no more Wolf Bouts, right?)
Of course, of course.
<rubs chin> Hmm... bears bouts...

Awroo. <Hmph. That's cute.>
Awroo! <Sure is!>

That is technically the conclusion of the Wolf Bouts and very much is so as far as rewards go. But... there is an epilogue to the Wolf Bout and Ernest saga. Which involves returning to Tiffauges Castle. Yeah, I know I said we weren't coming back here. But I wasn't aware of this until now since there is zero indication this is a thing. But, that's about par for the course at this juncture in Shadow Hearts 2's endgame.

Music: Spiritualization ~ Holy Land of God

So doing this is sort of a pain in the rear end. Our goal is to return to Henri. Remember, he said Ernest cursed him? Perhaps we should check to see if that lifted. Oh yeah, we should have asked Ernest what the gently caress is up with him cursing humans to try to get his ultimate wolf. That's kind of hosed up. Anyway, Henri is on the rear end end of this dungeon. It's even further a trek than it takes to get to the boss room. And the problem is there are still random battles. And there are no shortcuts TO the side of the dungeon Henri is on. There's a shortcut out from around there near to the dungeon exit. But it's one way only. This means I have to do the whole goddamn dungeon again basically.

Yay! Can I note, I equipped the accessory that reduces random battles and that thing does gently caress ALL. It must make it so it's 20 steps between a battle instead of 18 at the very most. ETA for next random battle 12 11.5 seconds.

I have to watch over them until they can finally rest in peace. To atone for my sins, you see.
Your sins...? Then does that mean you're--?
Me...? I'm simply a mere guide. That is all...
Okay. Phew.
And a very prolific mass murderer of children.
Uhh...
Don't be alarmed. I am bound here forever. As are all my victims.
...Uhh. If I punched you out of existence could I... help them?
I'm afraid not, sir.
Oh... uhh... I guess, I will... just go, then...
Very good, sir. Enjoy your stay.

After 20 minutes of running back through this lousy dungeon for a second time, we find a little old man in Henri's place.

I used to be the wolf wearing glasses. I got a little... rowdy last time we saw each other...?
Henri...? Oh, that talking wolf! You changed back. Hey, good for you.
I think Ernest was the one who put the curse on me. So when you defeated Ernest, the curse lifted. How can I ever thank you? I know I'm an old man, and I don't have much longer to live, but I really hated the thought of dying in my wolf form.
<turns to Blanca> Yeah, being a wolf is pretty embarrassing and all...

Oh, uh... No, that's not what I meant. Please don't take offense.
So what are you going to do now?
Well, I was on a trip when all this happened. I think I'll just continue my journey.
I see... Well, take care. You're not a kid anymore, you know.
And there is, you know, a world war going on. So watch out for that.
I know. You take care too, everybody.
Awroo!

Henri starts walking away but turns back.

Next time you go to Montmartre, you might see an interesting development.
I'll show what happens when someone messes with Henri the Tiger!

And with that, Henri walks off out of the game and we're free to leave the castle and never return. For real this time.

Though I'm just now realizing. I think Ernest and Henri get the most unique character portraits in the game. In our main party, only Karin and Joachim get two. In the villainy department, only Rasputin and Nicholai get a second one for their possessed versions. Lobo got a very slightly altered younger portrait. And everyone else, including Yuri and Kato, the main protagonist and antagonist at this point, only have a single portrait. Weird...

I suppose we should return to where we last saw Ernest and see what's what.

Huh...? What's up with this rugrat? He a friend of yours?
Awroo... (Never seen him before...)
It's me! Tetsu! Don't you remember me?
Tetsu...? That little wolf Ernest had with him?
I didn't recognize you without that... I don't even know what to call that expression.
Super cool?
...No.

Awroo! (But you're a human.)
But I always was a human! I was just wearing a wolf suit that Ernest made me.
...Well, what do you know...
...We let a sex pervert go.
But never mind that. You gotta help me! It's Ernest... He turned into... a bug!
Awroo? (A bug?)
Gee, this is getting more and more ridiculous...
Could you point me in his direction so I can go squish him? That'd be great.
And then he said he had to set up an Insect Bout so he could turn back into a human, and went flying off somewhere!
Awroo... (Hmm, insect... bug... Come to think of it...)

I'll show what happens when someone messes with Henri the Tiger!

Sadly, we cannot track down and squish Ernest who stuffed children into wolf suits, put curses on old men, and held an international dogfighting competition. Which is a lot of hosed up things to pin on the chest of a real guy that was seemingly perfectly decent. Anyhow, that's another sidequest put to rest. And I believe the last time we have any reason to return to... quite possibly any part of Paris.

We're getting there. Someday this cursed LP can end and I can finally rest.

Video: Episode 128 Highlight Reel
(Red Comet is shown off at the end.)

Ernest Portrait Concept Art - I wonder how the real Ernest Senton would feel about being a dogfighting organizer with a bloodlust for the strongest wolf, child abuser, curse practitioner and fursuit wearer who ultimately gets Franz Kafka'd into an insect in a Japanese video game... His first question would probably be "what the gently caress is a video game...?"

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 10, 2021

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

155 damage being reduced to 55 damage is pretty close to on point for reducing physical damage to 36%, rather than by, even taking potential damage variance into account. That's a strong-rear end buff if that's what it actually does instead of increasing your defense stat by 36% like it says on the tin.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

Grrr... Awroo! (Now tell me why you started this stupid competition in the first place.)

That should be Blanca's portrait.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Is wolfman voiced by Richard Epcar?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fighting Tournaments. Not even once.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I don't know the exact formula but I think the game uses some kind of subtractive damage formula. I remember armor and weapons falling off pretty quickly if you don't keep them up to date and it would explain why Shield can so easily neuter the wolf bouts. If you walk into the fight with 300 defense against and enemy with 350 attack they'll start out doing around 50 damage but after Shield you'll be sitting at about 400 defense so their attacks will barely scratch you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Last I heard of Ernest, he somehow flew to a certain Rogue Galaxy in his bug form and started their most popular spectator sport. But he also died in the ring a few years later. They say he raised a child named Mio who today remains one of his sport’s most feared combatants…