Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Are they still doing anal exams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

that's not from "our" china, sorry

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Holy poo poo! People are still GOING TO China?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Blistex posted:

Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The North Tower posted:

Not for a bit, but we finally agreed on our first post-covid trip and it’s now #1. Was just excited and wanted to start building out my ‘must see’ list.

At this point we literally don't know when people will be able to travel as tourists 1) at all 2) without quarantining and for how long, so you're jumping the gun by quite a bit insofar as planning a trip *at all* and especially one that short.

Even once things are much better and the populace of Taiwan is vaccinated, I would not be surprised to see a week long quarantine stay in place for quite a while.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

ninjoatse.cx posted:

All goons are either on the spectrum or in denial about being on the spectrum. Everyone who isn’t stopped posting in their 20s.

SPECTRUM OF COOL DUDES

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Also, money is relative and all so maybe you've got the money to throw around, but to give you an idea:

Just as an example, we recently got tickets for my parents to come (though due to the covid outbreak will probably get moved cancelled), and it's was 1700 USD/pax from the east coast US. We got these 3 months in advance, and they were the last few reasonably priced tickets; after that it was 2500/pax.

Then you'll need to quarantine and don't have a place to stay. Government approved quarantine hotels are running around TWD 2350-4000/day apparently, which is about 85-140 USD. Then there's various other costs; PCR tests to get on the plane, etc.

Basically *even if* they open the country to tourists and follow through with some previous plans to reduce quarantine for people with the vaccine AND who test negative after a week, it will be prohibitively expensive to go to Taiwan. Like depending on where you are and how regulations change expect to pay 3000+ USD *conservatively* just to get there and pay for quarantine, and you can expect you'll need to budget more than a week of time (not to mention probably ~24hrs travel time each way) in order to see anything but the inside of a hotel room.

So don't plan on a trip being feasible for a while.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Politics aside, China has been among the safest places you could go if you are concerned about the virus.

There are a myriad of reasons to be concerned about a China visit, but Covid currently is not one of them.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I'm hoping that some pacific nations get added to the travel bubble between Australia and New Zealand. It's not even winter yet and I'm loving sick of the 10-22 degree days.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
You can go to the Cooks if you spend 2 weeks in NZ first. Have been a few times, definitely worth it if you can take 4-6 weeks for it.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Barudak posted:

I think, realistically, we'll all be getting boosters

+1, though I think the rub there is having to go through the booster regimen and still only getting the Sinovac level of efficacy

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Big Willy Style posted:

I'm hoping that some pacific nations get added to the travel bubble between Australia and New Zealand. It's not even winter yet and I'm loving sick of the 10-22 degree days.

I have heard vague rumours that Singapore might want to join Aus and NZ in the travel bubble. But lord knows how accurate said rumours are, or when/if it would actually happen

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

SerCypher posted:

Politics aside, China has been among the safest places you could go if you are concerned about the virus.

There are a myriad of reasons to be concerned about a China visit, but Covid currently is not one of them.

True, Chinese data is very reliable about there being literally zero covid there.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Survivor Recounts Brutal Conditions That Killed 21 Marathon Runners

quote:

One in eight contestants, including elite runners, died in the race in China, making it one of the deadliest running events in modern history.

quote:

The staggering death toll—one in eight of the 172 athletes who joined the race did not survive—has prompted public outrage in China and raised questions about the competence of the event’s organizers.

quote:

The Chinese public has questioned if lapses in safety protocols contributed to tragedy. The daughter of Lu Zhengyi, who was among the dead contestants, posted a series of questions for the organizers on her verified Weibo account, asking why they did not prepare runners against potential hostile weather conditions and deploy more staff along the trail.

“The image of my dad foaming at his mouth, hands turning purple from the cold, was deeply imprinted on my brain,” she wrote. “I hope someone will step up, and give the people who slacked off at their jobs the punishment they deserve.

It me, running until I die of Hypothermia because stopping to save my own life is inconceivable. If only the state had stepped in and told me I should stop running in the extreme cold!!!

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the race where one in eight died is only "one of the deadliest running events"?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well, I mean, The Long March was more of a shambling motion, so...

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I dont run marathons, I dont know how this all works but what stopped them from following them in a van or something?

Edit: I guess if it was in the mountains that makes sense kinda, but still I'd think they'd have people and stuff along the route.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 25, 2021

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

^^^^
It was backcountry trail race with scrambling up mountains and stuff.

Rime posted:

It me, running until I die of Hypothermia because stopping to save my own life is inconceivable. If only the state had stepped in and told me I should stop running in the extreme cold!!!

Nah, it's hosed up to blame the runners on this. The organizers were the local branch of the Communist Party, which means that likely no one in charge had any real experience with planning a backcountry race like this and definitely didn't have a plan if the weather went sideways. And since it was organized by the local government as a tourism promotion thing, they were probably hesitant to have the embarrassment and hassle of calling off the race beforehand due to potential safety issues.

I had something slightly similar happen once where I was dressed for a semi-warm-weather hike, no rain gear, and was caught completely off guard by a storm that rolled in with pouring rain and sleet and near-freezing temps. I was only 30 minutes away from my car on flat terrain and it was still scary and a bit dicey. I can imagine how much worse it would be on the side of a bare mountain, no shelter, on unfamiliar terrain in thin running clothes, not sure whether to turn around or try to push forward to safety.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

stellers bae posted:

True, Chinese data is very reliable about there being literally zero covid there.

There isn't zero, there are 15-30 cases a day.

Even if the cases are 100x under reported... or even 1000 times under reported, it would still be one of the safest places in the world from Covid.

Like yes the Chinese government lies through its teeth about a lot of things, but the draconian lockdown measures weren't just for show, they did work. We have ample evidence those measures work elsewhere, and China implemented them with characteristic ruthlessness.

If there is some sort of reputable study that suggests they've been under reporting covid cases by a factor of 100x or more for the past year then I'll eat my words.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/davidpaulk/status/1396713453172101123

quote:

Academic freedom, especially in social sciences, has long been a headache for Chinese scholars, and those in the area of international relations face some of the toughest restrictions. One of them is Jia Qingguo, who made the rare move of raising the issue with Beijing’s political advisory body – of which he is a member – at its annual meeting in March. Jia, an international relations professor at Peking University, submitted a formal proposal urging Beijing to ease what he called excessive restrictions on Chinese academics when they are on overseas exchanges. He said some had to get approval from two supervisors to meet a foreigner and provide a detailed report afterwards, and they could not meet the same foreigner more than twice in a year. Jia said restrictions like these could affect policy advice.
Does the Chinese government think that international relations academics are virgin princesses or something?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

https://twitter.com/JoeXu/status/1396910262494457856

1) YAY for an ex-professional wrestler speaking Mandarin.

2)BOO for that ex-professional wrestler using said language skills to grovel before the CCP for daring acknowledge the existence of another country.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A beautiful world with beautiful places to visit

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 28, 2021

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrigadierSensible posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeXu/status/1396910262494457856

1) YAY for an ex-professional wrestler speaking Mandarin.

2)BOO for that ex-professional wrestler using said language skills to grovel before the CCP for daring acknowledge the existence of another country.

hey the taiwanese release was delayed so they aren't getting the taiwanese money anyway

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
His Chinese is actually super impressive considering the amount of demands on his time he must have. Sounds like he has put a lot of effort into studying mandarin.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
There is no more Corona in China with the biggest population in the world. They cured it with their?? And the ?? 14 cases!

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Lmao at John China over there.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Catpain Slack posted:

Lmao at John Sina over there.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
gently caress that's way better.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Tupperwarez posted:

Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

So Xi is Dagoth Ur?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stink Billyums posted:

the race where one in eight died is only "one of the deadliest running events"?

Have you seen the Running Man?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

stellers bae posted:

Oriental Hugs posted:

There is no more Corona in China with the biggest population in the world. They cured it with their?? And the ?? 14 cases!

lol I love the slingshot people have done between "wow look at those authoritarian assholes literally locking people in their homes, putting guards at every street corner, and tracking every store you go to! Typical China haha" early in the pandemic to "it's literally impossible that China stopped COVID!" now

They're assholes in many ways but if you want to stop an infectious disease having the ability to literally shut everything down and lock people down hardcore is real useful.

Also despite the great firewall it's not like people can't easily talk to people overseas all the time. If there was massive deaths ongoing they literally could not stop that getting out without shutting down all internet access in various places.

Australia managed to stop spread almost entirely. New Zealand as well. Taiwan as well until recently. Japan didn't do well in many ways but most likely because the population uses masks religiously and generally avoids physical contact they managed to mostly avoid explosive spread. But yet some people are convinced it's *literally impossible* China was able to do almost the same via HUGELY more draconian levels of tracking and restriction and doing a complete hard lockdown of entire swathes of the country. People are also very willing to believe that China has massive complex infrastructure to track every citizen and their social score et al but find it impossible to believe that they couldn't possibly do literally the same poo poo but for contact tracing.

Pretty ironic in a thread where we regularly mock wumao et al for believing dumb poo poo with literally no evidence and no relation to common sense yet a bunch of people here are no better.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

Australia managed to stop spread almost entirely. New Zealand as well. Taiwan as well until recently. Japan didn't do well in many ways but most likely because the population uses masks religiously and generally avoids physical contact they managed to mostly avoid explosive spread.
Point of order: All four of those countries are islands which has been a huge advantage for them in terms of controlling the spread.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Yeah like Thailand did pretty well for itself up until people remembered it had a porous land border with Myanmar and just started hopping over for weekend getaways.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Point of order: All four of those countries are islands which has been a huge advantage for them in terms of controlling the spread.

Yep. Guess how you can achieve something similar? Literally shutting down all the public transit and blocking the highways to anyone without permission. They putting in and enforcing restrictions like only letting one person from each household leave once every two days to get essential items.

Basically levels of hard restriction and enforcement not seen anywhere else on the same scale, and which people would certainly rebel against anywhere else.

I don’t find it surprising that extreme levels of lockdown could have effect where the half-assed “lockdown” with no teeth you saw in most of the western world could only slow spread instead of effectively stopping it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's mostly that China hasn't given us a whole lot of reason to trust official numbers on anything in the past.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I can imagine the party would actually have a reason to curb its systemic incompetence/malice when it came to Covid, though.

After all, they could actually be at risk of it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Has China shut down their wet markets yet?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

wet markets are just markets for fresh goods

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Collateral Damage posted:

I love this argument because it implies that there's simply no way to control land borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Nam Taf posted:

I love this argument because it implies that there's simply no way to control land borders.

inside EU it kind of makes sense, at least the central areas it can be hard to tell where one country begins

Vesi fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 25, 2021