Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bartok posted:

Wasn't that the whole point of OVW? If they got called up to WWE that means Corny did his job.

Basically the way they'd do stuff would completely contradict his booking but WWE would expect him to follow through on storylines. Like Jim would have a hot feud on his hands, then WWE would bring up the guys in the feud and make them a tag team, and Jim would have to figure out how to explain why a dog collar match he booked was between two guys teaming on WWE TV, because WWE certainly wasn't gonna explain it (although they really shouldn't have to).

And a lot of the guys they called up WEREN'T ready and would ignore Jim's pleas to give him more time. Chris Masters comes to mind.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
:lol: god, poor Rhea. She never stood a chance.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

MJeff posted:

:lol: god, poor Rhea. She never stood a chance.

I mean her chances fell to zero the moment they had her cutting godawful promos and clearly reading off of cue cards off screen backstage. The problem is that Charlotte isn't any better.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

DarkstarIV posted:

It's utterly remarkable how WWE has made both Rhea and Charlotte utterly unlikable assholes in totally different (but also similar in a way) fashion!

https://twitter.com/RheaRipley_WWE/status/1397009642958565378

I guess it goes back to the whole "Women can't be faces or heels" attitude Vince reportedly has

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Drew
https://i.imgur.com/eJkZo2U.gifv

Rhea whole match
https://streamable.com/l2yqia

Woods suplex
https://i.imgur.com/0OZEdom.gifv
Finish to Woods vs Riddle
https://streamable.com/0o7oiz

Elias gets involved
https://streamable.com/ht1jld

Finish to Women's Tag match
https://streamable.com/3dkim2

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The important thing to remember is before you have a big match you need to completely bury one of the people involved so that the loser had no heat or reason for the crowd to care about their loss, and the eventual winner's victory is just over some loser anyway.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Intruder posted:

I guess it goes back to the whole "Women can't be faces or heels" attitude Vince reportedly has

I mean...Asuka is clearly a babyface. So is Bianca. The problem is they are trying to force Rhea into a tweener role when it's not working because she's such an abysmal promo on top of being an awful worker ever since being called up. And that also applies to Charlotte. WWE better count their blessings that they won't have live audiences back for the Charlotte/Rhea match at Hell in a Cell, considering they would poo poo all over it.

Also it's hilarious how clearly WWE and/or Ricochet was gotten to tonight with that drama last week in regards to his dumbass tweet on social media.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Any idea why Rhea's ringwork is in the shitter? People seemed really high on her after that wargames match.

E: Ringwork, not ringworm. No-one wants ringworm in the shitter.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Breetai posted:

Any idea why Rhea's ringwork is in the shitter? People seemed really high on her after that wargames match.

E: Ringwork, not ringworm. No-one wants ringworm in the shitter.

Absolutely no idea. If you are referring to the 2019 Wargames match, I think the fact that WWE was clearly strapping a rocket to her on top of her promos after winning the title later that year being utterly dire (to the point where she was completely destroyed on the mic by Bianca Belair and even Io Shirai on the mic), sealed her fate (I stand by the theory that the only reason she really got over is because Shayna's second reign was rancid trash at that point). The nail in the coffin for her career was her losing to Charlotte at Wrestlemania in a cheap attempt to pop ratings for NXT (when in reality Charlotte's reign actually cratered ratings whenever she was on TV).

At that point, Io Shirai got super hot and eclipsed Rhea's popularity, and won the title at IYH, going on to have probably the best NXT Women's Title reign in the history of the brand, and arguably one of the best women's title reigns across the entire company in an incredibly long time.

As for modern day Rhea, it's pretty clear she just isn't clicking on the main roster. I don't know if its nerves or what, but she's been pretty awful. It's not like Charlotte has been any better, mind you. But both are portrayed as whiny rear end in a top hat heels who have zero redeeming qualities, so these two feuding makes absolutely no sense and it's going to lead to a lot of audience confusion.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rhea would be fine if they'd give her a consistent character and also a finisher that isn't big ending-level garbage

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In NXT, you rehearse matches down to the move. In Raw, the show is literally being written as it happens.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bartok posted:

Wasn't that the whole point of OVW? If they got called up to WWE that means Corny did his job.

Cornette's main complaint was that WWE wouldn't have any consideration about their stories or give them any cooperation. His big complaint was that he had Doug Basham and Damaja feuding with the big blowoff set soon. Basham had a full head of hair and WWE wanted to cut it off and call them up as a team. So Cornette wanted a couple of weeks to just sell a hair match to blowoff their feud and didn't get it. It was stuff like that. Lead time and random WWE booking whims.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Drew McIntyre deserves so much better than this, and he's currently in the top three of the company which makes that statement both insane for how ludicrous i sound and insane for seriously you see McIntyre and think "we would be so much better elsewhere".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But... if Ripley has to win in under two minutes... and Nikki has to outlast two minutes... why is Ripley doing the "running out of time" thing? That... makes no sense? Did I have a stroke?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Intruder posted:

Rhea would be fine if they'd give her a consistent character and also a finisher that isn't big ending-level garbage

Rhea's issue was that her character felt real in NXT and something she organically picked up, from smiling happy go luckyh babyface in MYC 1 to hoss heel in MYC 2 who was an AWESOME heel. She did better in NXT UK even before bringing her state-side and it was because she looked like a badass, worked like a badass, and it clearly was who she actually was.

Things went sideways when well they tried to transfer how hot she was to Charlotte by having Charlotte beat her because WWE always thinks if you have a hot talent whoever pins them gets the hype transferred to them. Then because she was popular they assumed this made her a face and so she became a weird amalgamation of badass and face which can work in better peoples hands but this is WWE who can't write faces.

The result is someone who is now just a jackass character fool and has lost a tonne of self-confidence which is bleeding into her work.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

How is this not a finisher?! :stare:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Rhea should wrestle exclusively like Kevin Nash at his laziest and the more crowds boo/Darkstar gets angry, the lazier she should wrestle.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

STAC Goat posted:

But... if Ripley has to win in under two minutes... and Nikki has to outlast two minutes... why is Ripley doing the "running out of time" thing? That... makes no sense? Did I have a stroke?

The start of the match is Nikki rushing Rhea, getting rebuffed and Rhea going "ohhhhh come on Nikki, look at the clock, y'gotta do better than that." And then when the clock hits 0, Rhea looks at it and says "What?" like she's completely surprised.

What.

The gently caress.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I had RAW on in the background and the main event being the main event and how it ended made me think I had switched to a different channel when the movie started.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MJeff posted:

The start of the match is Nikki rushing Rhea, getting rebuffed and Rhea going "ohhhhh come on Nikki, look at the clock, y'gotta do better than that." And then when the clock hits 0, Rhea looks at it and says "What?" like she's completely surprised.

What.

The gently caress.

I mean, its ok that Nikki rushed Rhea because she wants to get a win and make an impression right? She doesn't just want a win by default. But then she's excited to get a win by default... and... I don't get it.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Dango Bango posted:

How is this not a finisher?! :stare:

because there were maybe 5 matches for the 3 hour show and this one went like a half hour

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Maybe i've forgotten wha the definition of a tweener is because Rhea is supposed to be a face(?) but she arrogantly(?) believes she can beat Nikki, wastes time at the beginning of the match rebuffing Nikki's efforts while not going on the offensive. She knows that this a beat the clock challenge but then in a rush of adrenaline(?) beats on Nikki and forgets the clock.

What.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

quote:

The start of the match is Nikki rushing Rhea, getting rebuffed and Rhea going "ohhhhh come on Nikki, look at the clock, y'gotta do better than that."

even this bit makes no sense cause Nikki doesn’t have to do better than that because it’s a beat the clock match for rhea!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, its ok that Nikki rushed Rhea because she wants to get a win and make an impression right? She doesn't just want a win by default. But then she's excited to get a win by default... and... I don't get it.

She went crazy celebrating after getting her rear end kicked, it was hilarious

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Intruder posted:

She went crazy celebrating after getting her rear end kicked, it was hilarious

the thing is this works when its like a Disco Inferno type jobber... which... is that what Nikki Cross is now? Like its weird WWE doesn't officially have jobbers, just winners and capital L losers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lid posted:

the thing is this works when its like a Disco Inferno type jobber... which... is that what Nikki Cross is now? Like its weird WWE doesn't officially have jobbers, just winners and capital L losers.

Except even if it was a character like that then presumably the character would have been trying to weasel out of it and run the clock down to get that win. Not charge the physically superior opponent repeatedly and take high risks.

Just nothing about how that went makes sense. I was genuinely confused when the match ended because I just assumed Nikki had to beat the clock, not Rhea.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Beat The Clock is the worst gimmick match that WWE does I think, right next to the gauntlet matches that either go on WAY to long or everyone starts with 25% health.

What was the incentive for Nikki Cross to win anyway?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Dimebags Brain posted:

Rhea should wrestle exclusively like Kevin Nash at his laziest and the more crowds boo/Darkstar gets angry, the lazier she should wrestle.

:hmmyes:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Astro7x posted:

Beat The Clock is the worst gimmick match that WWE does I think, right next to the gauntlet matches that either go on WAY to long or everyone starts with 25% health.

It wasn't even beat the clock since there wasn't another person's time to beat. Just a 2 minute time limit match, which sounds like it will be garbage and then it was!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

May i offer you an EVIL in this trying time?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Chris James 2 posted:

Jaxson Ryker defeats AJ Styles

:lmao:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
its always fun to know i'm in for some good alvarez rants

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Lid posted:

May i offer you an EVIL in this trying time?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

But would WWE have any interest in bringing him, (EVIL), over to America? If only to keep his fiancee, (Io Shirai), happy.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Astro7x posted:

This is my question. Even overlooking how poorly the actual match was booked, what the hell was the point of booking a "beat the clock" match? Usually they're done with multiple matches for #1 contendership or something. There just seems to be no upside for anyone involved in this stipulation.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
First half hour of Raw: this is one of the worst Raws ever.

For an hour: Shelton and Cedric have another straight banger (just fast forward past the Cedric promo before the match it is bad) including a fighting spirit comeback. Then Xavier and Matt Riddle have a completely non-WWE style match, lots of high impact moves, Xavier even does an okay attempt at a Shibata drop kick-also a banger.

Rest of show: loving sucked!!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

DeepDickPizza posted:

This is my question. Even overlooking how poorly the actual match was booked, what the hell was the point of booking a "beat the clock" match? Usually they're done with multiple matches for #1 contendership or something. There just seems to be no upside for anyone involved in this stipulation.

The point is, Nikki Cross proved herself a loser, (by getting her head kicked in by Rhea), just not as much of a loser as both Charlotte and Rhea expected.

But more importantly, Rhea proved herself to be a loser by kicking the arse of an opponent she was clearly better than, and then losing on a technicality.

I suppose the actual character reason is Rhea was hoist on her own petard by her own arrogance, (i.e. she would have easily won in a match, but by being arrogant she got the L)

I guess the point is: we as an audience aren't supposed to care about Nikki. She is just the prop. So after getting her arse kicked, she celebrates her "win", which makes Rhea feel bad. Which is the important point. Not the match, nor one of the contestants in the match. But a half-arsed bit of character work that wastes one of the wrestlers involved.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I watched the Rhea, Charlotte Nikki thing and it was either written by a sabotage genius or a dying mind

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

BrigadierSensible posted:

The point is, Nikki Cross proved herself a loser, (by getting her head kicked in by Rhea), just not as much of a loser as both Charlotte and Rhea expected.

But more importantly, Rhea proved herself to be a loser by kicking the arse of an opponent she was clearly better than, and then losing on a technicality.

I suppose the actual character reason is Rhea was hoist on her own petard by her own arrogance, (i.e. she would have easily won in a match, but by being arrogant she got the L)

I guess the point is: we as an audience aren't supposed to care about Nikki. She is just the prop. So after getting her arse kicked, she celebrates her "win", which makes Rhea feel bad. Which is the important point. Not the match, nor one of the contestants in the match. But a half-arsed bit of character work that wastes one of the wrestlers involved.

You know what would really improve the whole segment? If it was Lana instead of Nikki. Her finisher, if she even has one, should be called the Technicality.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

dodgeblan posted:

I watched the Rhea, Charlotte Nikki thing and it was either written by a sabotage genius or a dying mind

¿Porque no los dos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

At least for once they told you beforehand that a womens match was going to only last two minutes