Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Dragonar is now fully subbed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Might have to track that down, I was previously deflected by awful HK subs because the subtitles were saying magma cannon when the characters were literally saying railgun in english and it was too irritating.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Artum posted:

Might have to track that down, I was previously deflected by awful HK subs because the subtitles were saying magma cannon when the characters were literally saying railgun in english and it was too irritating.

The thread over on /m/ has a link to the new complete torrent they have for it, and to a MEGA folder they have for it as well

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Layzner or Dragonar what the better watch?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

From what I've heard the former has better highs but worse lows plus it got canned so it has a meh ending

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I started watching Mellowlink. First episode was good. Dogman was a dick.

How big is Votoms in Japan? The Real Robot genre doesn't seem that large beyond outsized presences like Gundam. Yet it seems like Votoms has had a pretty extensive track record of consecutive shows and OVAs stretching from the 80s into the 2000s. Mellowlink feels like it has a razor sharp focus on what it wants to be and is appealing to a very specific audience but I don't know how you make a long running franchise off of such a concept.

Is it like Battletech's audience where the fan base is just really that dedicated to keeping it going?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Doesn't seem that big, distant third after Gundam and Macross in the Real subgenre. Be warned a lot of the OVA's after the original are not great at all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Well, Layzner has three one hour OVAs if you're in a hurry. It makes for a rushed opening and an awkward middle, but the ending is less of a mess that way.

As for the shows overall, I've only watched the early episodes for both (well, and the OVAs for Layzner) but a lot depends on what you're looking for in a show.

As I said earlier in the thread, Dragonar is the original Gundam as an American kid's cartoon of the 80s with somewhat looser censorship. A multi-ethnic group of wisecracking teens steals military prototypes and has mostly-good-natured clashes with the authorities in an attempt to defeat the totalitarian space empire. If you want something lighter, it's probably the right bet. I wasn't impressed, but it didn't seem bad either.

Layzner, meanwhile, tries to say more, but it says it badly. It's also one of the only mech anime I've seen that goes 100 percent "It's the machine that matters. Pilots are irrelevant." Big tone shift halfway in, too. Timeskip, premise shift, all that.

I don't really recommend either, but if I had to pick one, Dragonar seemed to be an inoffensive good time, while Layzner was just... not good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Layzner is one of the few robot shows I actively regret watching because the image I had of it in my head based on untranslated Super Robot Wars appearances and its whipass opening song was infinitely cooler than the actual show, which is a huge, almost incoherent mess with absolutely no real redeeming factors besides cool robot designs and said whipass opening.

Seriously, Eiji is one of the dumbest and most unlikeable mecha show protagonists I've ever seen. He takes the "i don't want to kill anyone!" robot pilot trope to an insane extreme, actively refusing to fight even psychotic serial murderers, and the show doesn't even do something interesting with this by forcing him to suffer some consequences or come up with some kind of alternate solution because every time he gets into a pickle for the first half of the show the Layzner's AI takes over and beats his opponents for him.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Tekkaman Blade. The ending arc was very good spectacle but the way it piled on twist after miserable twist and didn't allow the characters a single ounce of victory or joy really soured me on it. Instead of creating higher stakes it just made everything really goofily overdramatic. Combined with the final arc being just too long really left me pretty disappointed with the show. Not sure if I'll watch the sequel or any of the pilots they made for other stuff, I'm pretty soured as a whole on Tekkaman for now.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

I finished Tekkaman Blade. The ending arc was very good spectacle but the way it piled on twist after miserable twist and didn't allow the characters a single ounce of victory or joy really soured me on it. Instead of creating higher stakes it just made everything really goofily overdramatic. Combined with the final arc being just too long really left me pretty disappointed with the show. Not sure if I'll watch the sequel or any of the pilots they made for other stuff, I'm pretty soured as a whole on Tekkaman for now.

I probably wouldn’t watch burning clock then no. That just adds another layer of poo poo to Shinya.
Tekkaman2 is completely incomparable though if that helps and is a little lighter in a lot of areas.

I remember thinking Tekkaman really felt like a war for survival. Things keep going bad, people keep dying and getting further messed up even as they make small progress.
It helps for me at least that most of it feels logical, lovely but somewhat logical.
But to be fair I think the tiny bit of extra happiness the international version gives at the end helps the series out somewhat even if it doesn’t make complete sense.
Like I said earlier, the international version to me feels like they went for a slightly more heroic approach whereas the Japanese version goes all in for the suffering hero.

I love that first blaster tekkaman scream. That little gasp he does before he yells the attack sells it to me. Even if the Japanese version doesn’t have Lance screaming like a little girl before getting wiped out.
And I feel the international version does the Pegas sacrifice better.

Sometimes I’m just really in the mood for suffering and things getting progressively worse.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Dragonar appeals to me the same way early ZZ does. Sometimes you want to watch a show about punkass kids who get involved in bizarre shenanigans in their quest to fight fascism. Nothing super amazing, but everybody is charming enough that you'll have a decent time.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I actually really liked the first half of ZZ so Dragonar sounds perfect for me. Excited that it's fully subbed now!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, Layzner has three one hour OVAs if you're in a hurry. It makes for a rushed opening and an awkward middle, but the ending is less of a mess that way.

As for the shows overall, I've only watched the early episodes for both (well, and the OVAs for Layzner) but a lot depends on what you're looking for in a show.

As I said earlier in the thread, Dragonar is the original Gundam as an American kid's cartoon of the 80s with somewhat looser censorship. A multi-ethnic group of wisecracking teens steals military prototypes and has mostly-good-natured clashes with the authorities in an attempt to defeat the totalitarian space empire. If you want something lighter, it's probably the right bet. I wasn't impressed, but it didn't seem bad either.

Layzner, meanwhile, tries to say more, but it says it badly. It's also one of the only mech anime I've seen that goes 100 percent "It's the machine that matters. Pilots are irrelevant." Big tone shift halfway in, too. Timeskip, premise shift, all that.

I don't really recommend either, but if I had to pick one, Dragonar seemed to be an inoffensive good time, while Layzner was just... not good.

Kanos posted:

Layzner is one of the few robot shows I actively regret watching because the image I had of it in my head based on untranslated Super Robot Wars appearances and its whipass opening song was infinitely cooler than the actual show, which is a huge, almost incoherent mess with absolutely no real redeeming factors besides cool robot designs and said whipass opening.

Seriously, Eiji is one of the dumbest and most unlikeable mecha show protagonists I've ever seen. He takes the "i don't want to kill anyone!" robot pilot trope to an insane extreme, actively refusing to fight even psychotic serial murderers, and the show doesn't even do something interesting with this by forcing him to suffer some consequences or come up with some kind of alternate solution because every time he gets into a pickle for the first half of the show the Layzner's AI takes over and beats his opponents for him.

Oh that's way rougher for Layzner than I would've expected. I think the only time I've really dealt with it is in SRWJ. I didn't think it came off that bad in that game. At least J got me to watch Nadesico which is sick as all gently caress.

Might just give Dragonar a few EP's then to see how it is.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Gaius Marius posted:

Oh that's way rougher for Layzner than I would've expected. I think the only time I've really dealt with it is in SRWJ. I didn't think it came off that bad in that game. At least J got me to watch Nadesico which is sick as all gently caress.

We need more non PoD Nadesico!

And while I'm making wishes, I'd like a translation of the Dreamcast game that takes place between it and the end of the series, and somebody to find the missing episodes of Gekiganer III for the Jovians.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I believe the last anyone heard about more Nadesico a sequel was planned, canceled, and Tatsuo Sato straight up said it w as never going to happen

That was back in 2005

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I remember they had plans for a movie called Prince of Darkness. Never happened and We'll never know what it would've been about.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Clearly we need to go back to the manga timeline(s) and find out what was up with Ruri Alter and the pointy Nadesico.

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 22, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
honestly Nadesico was so incredibly of-its-time that any attempt to bring it back is going to either feel weird with how disconnected it is from the original or be some awkward throwback that feels like it's in the wrong era

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished episode 2 of Mellowlink. If this is the setup for the show with each episode being a boss fight where he needs to puzzle his way towards spiking the cockpit then I'm all for it. Mellowlink himself is kinda basic and I don't know spy guy's deal yet, but the fights are good and Im loving the way the AT's maneuver during combat.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I would watch Nadesico: The Return tbh.

Like maybe the show could be about some corporate villain reviving Gekiganger 3 as a cynical nostalgiabait cashgrab (Which would Idk maybe spark an intergalactic war or something) and now Akito "THE PRINCE OF DARKNESS" Tenkawa must return from the shadows for the sake of justice.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 22, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gaius Marius posted:

SRW does a fantastic job of papering over Layzner's faults, mostly by filling in the show's mostly empty narrative and bad characterizations with crossover stuff and other series. When all you really need to focus on is the Layzner flying around doing sick V-MAX stuff while Melos no You Ni plays it works well.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blockhouse posted:

honestly Nadesico was so incredibly of-its-time that any attempt to bring it back is going to either feel weird with how disconnected it is from the original or be some awkward throwback that feels like it's in the wrong era

It's honestly a rough show to revisit. It expects a certainly level of 90s-nerd-subculture knowledge, but so much time has past that a lot of things that you could have just assumed a viewer would know in the 90s feel much more obscure. Most of the characters are Popular 90s Archetype and not much else, and are inexplicable now that the archetype has been out-of-vogue for twenty years. There are a lot of gags that don't really land.

Yurika in particular hits different. So much of the plot is driven by her being either jealous or neurotic and acting on emotion. I can't imagine explaining her to a first time watcher. "Well, you see, she's kind of an exaggeration of an old style of moe character..."

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
This episode of Back Arrow is finally cashing several checks (mecha-related and otherwise) that folks may have feared were going to bounce, so I'm happy.

Can't hurt that, whenever this actually gets into some SRW title (preferably not the mobile ones, if I had to choose), there'll be a growing number of cool units to use.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kanos posted:

SRW does a fantastic job of papering over Layzner's faults, mostly by filling in the show's mostly empty narrative and bad characterizations with crossover stuff and other series. When all you really need to focus on is the Layzner flying around doing sick V-MAX stuff while Melos no You Ni plays it works well.

To be fair this describes how a lot of shows are when compared to how SRW uses them

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Schwarzwald posted:

It's honestly a rough show to revisit. It expects a certainly level of 90s-nerd-subculture knowledge, but so much time has past that a lot of things that you could have just assumed a viewer would know in the 90s feel much more obscure. Most of the characters are Popular 90s Archetype and not much else, and are inexplicable now that the archetype has been out-of-vogue for twenty years. There are a lot of gags that don't really land.

Yurika in particular hits different. So much of the plot is driven by her being either jealous or neurotic and acting on emotion. I can't imagine explaining her to a first time watcher. "Well, you see, she's kind of an exaggeration of an old style of moe character..."

sounds like a nadesico 2 would need to riff off present-day anime trends. boson jump into another world with my stepsister

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Finished episode 2 of Mellowlink. If this is the setup for the show with each episode being a boss fight where he needs to puzzle his way towards spiking the cockpit then I'm all for it. Mellowlink himself is kinda basic and I don't know spy guy's deal yet, but the fights are good and Im loving the way the AT's maneuver during combat.

It eventually varies the formula, but yeah. That's the basic format of the show.

Spy guy's deal is clarified as the show goes on, as is Mellowlink's. He's still pretty simple, mind, but you at least get to see why he is the way he is.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

sounds like a nadesico 2 would need to riff off present-day anime trends. boson jump into another world with my stepsister

Bosson Jumped Into Another World With My Adorable Wife And Adopted Kids. Lapis and Ruri support the family with a ramen stand while the parents entertain with stories about giant golems and evil empires.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/1aZXAWn.mp4

Dragonar was directed by Takeyuki Kanda who also directed Vifam, Mellowlink, Dougram (co-directed) and the first half of 08th MS Team.

Everyone should watch it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mister Olympus posted:

In all seriousness: yes.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

wielder posted:

This episode of Back Arrow is finally cashing several checks (mecha-related and otherwise) that folks may have feared were going to bounce, so I'm happy.

Can't hurt that, whenever this actually gets into some SRW title (preferably not the mobile ones, if I had to choose), there'll be a growing number of cool units to use.

It sure did! It's still dumb as hell but it keeps being fun to watch. Just turn your brain off for the ride and you'll have fun, I think.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I've talked a decent amount about old OVAs in this thread, I think.

I've seldom been complimentary about the one-shots, or at least, I've talked about how they don't really do much. It's not that 40-odd minutes is too little to get something good done, even ignoring episodes of shows. Garden of Words is amazing at 46 minutes, Zone of the Enders Idolo is a clean 55, and the first two Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou OVAs only hit 56 minutes combined. It's just more difficult, and so one-shots like Good Morning Althea just don't manage to make the grade. I've grown used to failure.

So hopefully it means something when I say "Ladius" makes Good Morning Althea look like Voices Of A Distant Star.

Ladius is, as far as I can tell, not based on anything, which here means it's based on everything. It's a very 1987 JRPG zeigeist kind of OVA, with elves and giant robots and genetic engineering and swords just kind of jammed together in the hopes it would make something interesting. The hero is Riot, a generic rear end in a top hat who's supposed to be cool. He fights a generic evil empire for control of five lenses that power a device that can do anything, and rescues a girl who's basically there just so there's a girl to rescue. (He also has a vaguely mentioned tragic backstory that's why he wants the ancient superweapon thing, but he doesn't seem to care terribly much.)

The action is dull, none of the characters develop, and the ending is the blandest kind of sequel hook. That is, the kind where you're just told "whoops, the protagonist didn't accomplish his goals. Maybe later!".

(A sequel hook that was never followed up on, naturally.)

For another phrase I've used a lot, I've seen worse. But I've seldom seen this... pointless. It was an anime that just felt like it was filling a niche in marketing, done to a reasonable standard of competence, then abandoned when it didn't catch on.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I've talked a decent amount about old OVAs in this thread, I think.

I've seldom been complimentary about the one-shots, or at least, I've talked about how they don't really do much. It's not that 40-odd minutes is too little to get something good done, even ignoring episodes of shows. Garden of Words is amazing at 46 minutes, Zone of the Enders Idolo is a clean 55, and the first two Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou OVAs only hit 56 minutes combined. It's just more difficult, and so one-shots like Good Morning Althea just don't manage to make the grade. I've grown used to failure.

So hopefully it means something when I say "Ladius" makes Good Morning Althea look like Voices Of A Distant Star.

Ladius is, as far as I can tell, not based on anything, which here means it's based on everything. It's a very 1987 JRPG zeigeist kind of OVA, with elves and giant robots and genetic engineering and swords just kind of jammed together in the hopes it would make something interesting. The hero is Riot, a generic rear end in a top hat who's supposed to be cool. He fights a generic evil empire for control of five lenses that power a device that can do anything, and rescues a girl who's basically there just so there's a girl to rescue. (He also has a vaguely mentioned tragic backstory that's why he wants the ancient superweapon thing, but he doesn't seem to care terribly much.)

The action is dull, none of the characters develop, and the ending is the blandest kind of sequel hook. That is, the kind where you're just told "whoops, the protagonist didn't accomplish his goals. Maybe later!".

(A sequel hook that was never followed up on, naturally.)

For another phrase I've used a lot, I've seen worse. But I've seldom seen this... pointless. It was an anime that just felt like it was filling a niche in marketing, done to a reasonable standard of competence, then abandoned when it didn't catch on.

You also forgot that it has possibly the most boring opening in Mecha Anime history, when you're more boring than Gordian in that regard you know it's a stinker

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, Ladius is a show that has pretty much nothing to its credit. It's not even bad in a memorable way. It's just nothing.

Something that actually has something to its credit, though? Its fellow one-shot 1987 mech OVA (a surprisingly crowded genre) Relic Armor Legaciam. I admit, part of it might be my standards being temporarily disoriented by Ladius, but really, it's not bad. Definitely feels like it was made in the wake of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, with a young female protagonist, a sympathetic female lead antagonist, and a setting that contrasts the rural protagonists with a more industrial civilization, but that's not bad, and it's not like the OVA has no ideas of its own. The characters are likable and have some development, the action is creative, and the basic setting work is solid.

The biggest problem is that it feels like it ends about halfway in, with the protagonists heading off to finally resolve the source of the film's central conflict... offscreen. If it was episode one of two, that'd be a perfectly good break point, but for the whole thing, it's a bit abrupt a stopping point.

Still, I'm glad I saw it. It's the sort of odd OVA that reminds me why I watch these things.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

La Deus is so forgettable I actually thought I had watched Relic Armor Legaciam for YEARS because it's a way more interesting title. I have never seen Relic Armor Legaciam

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Of the one shot Mecha OVA's my favorites are still probably Madox, Dragon's Heaven, and Cybernetics Guardian

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

La Deus is so forgettable I actually thought I had watched Relic Armor Legaciam for YEARS because it's a way more interesting title. I have never seen Relic Armor Legaciam

I'd actually recommend checking out Legaciam, if you get a chance. It's only 45 minutes, and if you go in with Ladius level expectations, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd actually recommend checking out Legaciam, if you get a chance. It's only 45 minutes, and if you go in with Ladius level expectations, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

What if I go in with Garzey's Wing expectations?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

A new trailer for Getter Robo Arc dropped and it features Shin Getter Robo and Getter Dragon. Neither of those were in the manga as far as I can remember. The original Shin doesn't exist by the time Arc happens and Dragon still is underground so if those aren't appearing in new flashbacks it could point to the story continuing past the manga or at least adding a lot of extra stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9C0k2xtPIk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Looks terrible to be honest! I'm still gonna watch it of course because anime hasn't had men this ugly in nigh 30 years