Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Desperado Bones posted:

Also hoping they do have a rad Bollywood dance scene.

Pretty sure you saw a second of this in that trailer. It's happening.

Also just an FYI, but I'm pretty sure there is a pretty accurate, full description of the movie floating around on the internet so be very careful what you read on this one. May have ruined it for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mikeraskol posted:

Pretty sure you saw a second of this in that trailer. It's happening.

Also just an FYI, but I'm pretty sure there is a pretty accurate, full description of the movie floating around on the internet so be very careful what you read on this one. May have ruined it for myself.

Yeah anyone who thinks about posting from that think twice, full on plot spoilers like that are not allowed in this thread.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

X-O posted:

Yeah anyone who thinks about posting from that think twice, full on plot spoilers like that are not allowed in this thread.

I meant as you troll around the internet more broadly be careful, was definitely not trying to invite anyone to post that in here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mikeraskol posted:

I meant as you troll around the internet more broadly be careful, was definitely not trying to invite anyone to post that in here.

Oh yeah, for sure. I knew what you meant. I just took that moment to reinforce that we're not doing plot spoilers in this thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hahaha, there's a few guys already RAGING about the gender flips and it's very clear none of them have ever read an Eternals comic.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

That’s a great primer. So powerwise roughly the Justice League with some tweaks

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wish we could see Harrington in the Black Knight armor.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I kind of doubt that happens in this film to be honest. I imagine he's there more as a future piece for sequels.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Can Kit Harington do an American accent or are they making Dane Whitman British in the MCU?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dawgstar posted:

During the time around The Crossing/Leather Jackets era of Avengers the Dane/Sersi/Crystal love triangle was one of the few engaging things about the book.

My hope for this movie is for Sersi and Ikkari to have this "we have a love that has endured thousands of years. We will always be together."

And then within seconds of meeting Dane, Sersi is immediately like "Ikkari.....we need to talk."

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I want Dane to have the most scumbag Masshole accent when it goes down. Just rub it in.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That bit at the end sounded like a reference. Was there a time in the comics where Ikkari led the Avengers?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No, Ikaris has not lead the Avengers. He's never even been a member.

Also I think a couple of you are conflating the name Ikaris with Makkari who is the deaf speedster.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Gemma Chan the first instance of the MCU straight up re-using an actor to play a named character?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Is Gemma Chan the first instance of the MCU straight up re-using an actor to play a named character?

The Netflix stuff was still considered part of the MCU when they reused Alfre Woodward, but she had the movie role first.

Martin Starr is in Hulk but apparently Feige said they've just retconned that to be his Spider-Man character before he became a teacher.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Kenneth Choi playing Jim Morita, one of the Howling Commandos in First Avenger, and then playing his own Grandson who's Peter Parker's principal in Homecoming. A small character and more of an Easter Egg really.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really like that they decided to have the Eternals there at Babylon for its beginning and the fall of it. Good way to place them in historical context and still make them almost mythical.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

X-O posted:

No, Ikaris has not lead the Avengers. He's never even been a member.

Also I think a couple of you are conflating the name Ikaris with Makkari who is the deaf speedster.

Probably, I'd never heard either of them before.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Starsnostars posted:

Can Kit Harington do an American accent or are they making Dane Whitman British in the MCU?

Well he couldn't last I checked (Silent Hill 2) so hopefully he'll be British. Isn't his whole character kinda British anyway with like The Black Knight and Excalibur and poo poo?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He's obviously Danish.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Well he couldn't last I checked (Silent Hill 2) so hopefully he'll be British. Isn't his whole character kinda British anyway with like The Black Knight and Excalibur and poo poo?

He's a descendant of Sir Percy the original Black Knight, who I'm pretty sure we see in the trailer, but he's from Massachusetts and he wields the Ebony Blade.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

Heh, I think this two-minute trailer does a pretty good job of succinctly paring down the basics of this total X-list comic book property in such a way that is immediately understandable to absolutely everyone.

Strange definition of "not interfering," though. She literally just said they were guiding people, which is...y'know, absolutely interfering. :sweatdrop: I hope this doesn't fall into the recent Marvel trap of spouting a buncha smart-sounding dialogue that doesn't actually make any sense when you think about it for more than a sec.

https://twitter.com/yoonusthethird/status/1396907531906260994?s=20

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In regards to the Eternals trailer I don't think they have a single name to any of the people in the trailer which I thought is kind of weird (and assume they will do in later trailers). I was really underwhelmed though. I haven't really read much Eternals or know what their deal is so to have a trailer show a bunch of characters without even giving their names kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Why should I care for them? Who are they? Do they even have distinct personalities? I'm sure they do but the trailer didn't seem to interested in showing any of that. There is no real "wow" factor there, if you are just looking at a bunch of nameless faces doing vaguely magical stuff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's a teaser to get you to understand a few things:

The Eternals have been around a long time (helping to build Babylon)

The Eternals have not interfered (the fall of Babylon)

They're all in different places now (Sersi in the streets, Druig in the village, Kingo in Bollywood, Makkari still in the ship)

They've decided to reunite and step forward now

Sersi is gonna be the main focus

They have months to release other trailers and give you more information on the plot and more individuality about the characters, but right now it seems pretty clear this teaser was to show all of the actors and what the gist of the Eternals are.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I re watched the GotG teaser trailer and the biggest failing of the Eternals teaser trailer is that the last laugh line is incredibly bad compared to Peter Serafinowicz's when they're both essentially attempting to accomplish the same thing: "we know you have no idea who these people are, here's somebody cutting them down to size."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uwp2K5AO3Y

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The new Eternals comic is pretty good. Everyone has big, dramatic personalities.

I wonder if they’ll mention Thanos in the movie.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I remember reading something about the city seen in the Quantum Realm had some sort of connection to Black Knight/Eternals. Does anyone have any comics information about that?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder if the energy patterns that the Eternals have when they use their powers is a refined and more powerful version of the glyphs that Strange and the other sorcerers create when they cast their spells. Its not hard to believe that they tap into the same source of power.

There's nothing about a villain, so it could be from within with Druig, or some beneath, the deviants, or without and aliens like the Kree or even the Celestials.

I know its ScreenCrush, but the guy there points out that kumail nanjiani said that Eternals are not from earth, and suggests that maybe they're survivors of Titan, which doesn't exactly sound out of possibilities, but as been said a zillion times before, they always try to tie everything in to everything else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder if the energy patterns that the Eternals have when they use their powers is a refined and more powerful version of the glyphs that Strange and the other sorcerers create when they cast their spells. Its not hard to believe that they tap into the same source of power.

There's nothing about a villain, so it could be from within with Druig, or some beneath, the deviants, or without and aliens like the Kree or even the Celestials.

I know its ScreenCrush, but the guy there points out that kumail nanjiani said that Eternals are not from earth, and suggests that maybe they're survivors of Titan, which doesn't exactly sound out of possibilities, but as been said a zillion times before, they always try to tie everything in to everything else.

I don't know anything about the Eternals comics, but there's a supposed leak going around discord saying that the villain is a character named Kro.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

As long as Zhao had Harrington play to his range, it'll be fine, but he's not the most versatile actor.

Running around with a sword is his strength. He was great in looking like he knew what he was doing in GoT

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Hahaha, there's a few guys already RAGING about the gender flips and it's very clear none of them have ever read an Eternals comic.

yeah, but not having read an eternals comic is pretty common

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I don't know anything about the Eternals comics, but there's a supposed leak going around discord saying that the villain is a character named Kro.

Deviants, then, cause he's one of their leaders. This is a less obvious point for controversy, but I do wonder how they handle the deviants. As we've all seen with D&D races, having an entire race of people who are all evil subhuman monsters that are coded as such by having different colored skin is probably not great, so hopefully there's some subversion there.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jamesman posted:

I remember reading something about the city seen in the Quantum Realm had some sort of connection to Black Knight/Eternals. Does anyone have any comics information about that?

In the latest series at least, the Eternal and Deviant cities are in like a sub space parallel to real world locations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Deviants, then, cause he's one of their leaders. This is a less obvious point for controversy, but I do wonder how they handle the deviants. As we've all seen with D&D races, having an entire race of people who are all evil subhuman monsters that are coded as such by having different colored skin is probably not great, so hopefully there's some subversion there.

Also, they're literally called 'deviants', and are opposed by a genetically superior race. The whole Celestial-Eternal-Deviant story is... uncomfortable at best. Hopefully they've learned from the Inhumans debacle and won't be playing the whole thing straight.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Angry Salami posted:

Also, they're literally called 'deviants', and are opposed by a genetically superior race. The whole Celestial-Eternal-Deviant story is... uncomfortable at best. Hopefully they've learned from the Inhumans debacle and won't be playing the whole thing straight.

If they learnt anything from the Inhumans debacle they wouldn't be making the Eternals in the first place.

How were the Alpha Primates handled on the Inhumans TV show?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

If they learnt anything from the Inhumans debacle they wouldn't be making the Eternals in the first place.

How were the Alpha Primates handled on the Inhumans TV show?

They never showed up in inhumans to my knowledge, but were in agents of shield and were called just "primitives," and looked like this:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vince MechMahon posted:

They never showed up in inhumans to my knowledge, but were in agents of shield and were called just "primitives," and looked like this:

Is that just a cheap rubber mask

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is that just a cheap rubber mask

It might as well be.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Shageletic posted:

Running around with a sword is his strength. He was great in looking like he knew what he was doing in GoT

Counterpoint, Pompei was real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vince MechMahon posted:

From what I remember they are also created when racists were exposed to the Mist