Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Would love to see an implementation of the FFXIV controller hotbar in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

WarMECH posted:

Would love to see an implementation of the FFXIV controller hotbar in this game.
Does the xivbar addon do what you want?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WarMECH posted:

xivcrossbar is real good

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/55374/xivcrossbar-a-gamepad-macro-addon/

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I don't know. I haven't played this game in a few years. Might come back to finish the story missions at some point, though.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Now is a good time to come back. The story is completely soloable with trusts.
It's also free login week if you want to see if it grips you before committing to a sub.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Holy poo poo this is cool

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

ghostinmyshell posted:

Played piano mode too with keyboard only, really sad you can't do the same scheme in 14. :smith:

I actually saw a streamer who does solo potd runs (i.e. not casual content) with both hands on the keyboard. It seems insane to me but apparently it can work...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I am thinking about trying out this game I last played in 2006, are there any free login campaigns/discounts/sales going on right now? Should I ask one of y'all for a referral code or something similar?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Discount ends today I think. $10 + $1 for everything and a month of sub.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PriNGLeS posted:

Discount ends today I think. $10 + $1 for everything and a month of sub.

It ended this morning :negative:

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Badger of Basra posted:

It ended this morning :negative:

There's a 14 day trial too, so there's that.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
Shoutout to the probable RMT guy that bought my 30k cloth for 3M yesterday.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Rabite posted:

Shoutout to the probable RMT guy that bought my 30k cloth for 3M yesterday.

I bet it was just some poor schmuck. I’ve had this happen when buying a ton of the same item, I think I bought something that was 200k for 2 mil. When you’re buying 30 of a single stack item it’s easy to zone out and push the left button too many times.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Hey guys! Im gonna try this out since it sounds kinda fun to solo through nowadays.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Quickstart_1-119_Guide#The_.22Which_Job.3F.21.22_Dilemma

this guide says starting THF, going BLU and so on, is that a decent start?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You can be anything and it doesn’t really matter!

I personally recommend RDM because it encourages you to learn a bunch of magic and wears gear that a lot of classes can wear so it makes it easier to play/try out others. Also let’s you level up a wide variety of skills.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah RDM I'd a very good choice to get a taste of everything. If you really want to go ham at endgame it's a good choice too. THF is a solid choice for making farming waaaay faster, as it gets better drop rates. DNC is another good starter job as it's VERY independent and self-sustaining. It also can be quite complex if you enjoy more complicated jobs.

BLU is very flexible but I'm hesitant to recommend it as a first job because you can spend a LOT of time farming for spells. That being said, if you're planning on taking it slow to get to endgame, it's a good job to take slow.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

can you farm most spell's solo or with trusts? FFXIV is kinda annoying needing some 8 man blu groups to get some of the spells.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's been six days and I put over 22 hours in this game. So much of what I wanted modern MMOs to do this game has been doing the entire time. I really wish Square-Enix would make a proper successor to this game.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

queeb posted:

can you farm most spell's solo or with trusts? FFXIV is kinda annoying needing some 8 man blu groups to get some of the spells.

only very few spells require real groups (like Mighty Guard ig, maybe some of the non slotted spells...) You can learn a spell of the lowest level version of the monster that casts it. so if you’re 99 you’re good to go for 99% of your spells. I say lowest level version cause, say, some super low level mobs don’t know the spell you’re trying to learn. I wanna say the wasps in sarutabaruta don’t know pollen? something like that at least. you can check the wikis for move sets of particular varieties

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 26, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

star eater posted:

only very few spells require real groups (like Mighty Guard ig, maybe some of the non slotted spells...) You can learn a spell of the lowest level version of the monster that casts it. so if you’re 99 you’re good to go for 99% of your spells. I say lowest level version cause, say, some super low level mobs don’t know the spell you’re trying to learn. I wanna say the wasps in sarutabaruta don’t know pollen? something like that at least. you can check the wikis for move sets of particular varieties

Saruta wasps definitely know pollen, the problem with lower-level stuff is trying to get them to use a skill in the first place. Once you're at 99 it's hard to get hit by anything that isn't at least lv 100+ lol

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's been six days and I put over 22 hours in this game. So much of what I wanted modern MMOs to do this game has been doing the entire time. I really wish Square-Enix would make a proper successor to this game.

They did, it crashed and burned and they had to turn it into a WoW clone :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kazy posted:

:actually:

XI and XIV1.x were nothing alike other than the combat pacing

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

off to a good start, someone saw i was new and gave me like 1.2 million gil, then invited me to a new players linkshell. asura seems like a good server so far.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kazy posted:

From what I've been told, Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 was simply levequests with overworld map design like Final Fantasy XI dungeons.

queeb posted:

off to a good start, someone saw i was new and gave me like 1.2 million gil, then invited me to a new players linkshell. asura seems like a good server so far.

I'm on Asura. What's your player name so I can add you as a friend?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
FFXIV 1.0 was absolutely nothing like old FFXI. I wish it had been. Current FFXIV is quite good at least in a completely different way.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
FFXIV 1.0 was very strange.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

punk rebel ecks posted:

From what I've been told, Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 was simply levequests with overworld map design like Final Fantasy XI dungeons.

I'm on Asura. What's your player name so I can add you as a friend?

Queebil

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i just spent like 20 mins running from bastok to the crag of dem for the 2-1 nation mission and it was dope.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

queeb posted:

Queebil

Added.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

just got the Rhapsody in white and my 4th trust summon ability. this is so dope. im running around with a paladin, samurai, whm and.. scholar i think? and me as a thief. hit level 22, i should go unlock mounts.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hell yeah. I assume you’re aware of how teleports work? Like via the books?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

figuring it out yeah! tehres a bunch of different teleport things so far, home points, the books, proto teleports or something? so much to learn, lol. im hoofing it to jeuno now just to explore.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god drat im hot

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It sucks how dumb it is to get a chocobo but I really wish they gave you a chocobo instead of a raptor.

Is there even a chocobo mount you don't have to raise?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

maaaaaan summoner in this game looks so loving cool compared to FF14. i think i wanna level one of those up for sure.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i didnt expect the boat between selbina and mhaura to be 15 mins long.

old games are great

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

queeb posted:

maaaaaan summoner in this game looks so loving cool compared to FF14. i think i wanna level one of those up for sure.

Summoner is pretty dope. It's similar to red mage and blue mage in that it has a huge number of tools available, and the gameplay is about choosing the right tools for the situation. So for example you summon Garuda to Haste your party, then summon Ramuh to do aoe damage, then summon ifrit to give your party an attack buff, then summon Siren to attack a target, etc. It's also infamous for "summoner burn" parties, since a summoner's 1 hour abilities let it poo poo out a TON of damage very quickly.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Wish I could play this?? Seems like PlayOnline.com has been down for two days or so? Trying to download the client to play a free trial...

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

queeb posted:

i didnt expect the boat between selbina and mhaura to be 15 mins long.

old games are great

The boat ride was one of my favorite parts of the game when I first played years ago. There are a couple of interesting things that can happen on that journey at random times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Zam Wesell posted:

Wish I could play this?? Seems like PlayOnline.com has been down for two days or so? Trying to download the client to play a free trial...

PlayOnline has not yet joined the last decade with HTTPS encryption (or redirect), and you'll want to go to the HTTP version:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml

Or for a direct link to the download:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/install_win.html