Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Have you guys ever considered that the apparent lapses in logic are maybe because this is a zombie movie starring a wrestler directed by a moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm honestly a little surprised he doesn't off himself immediately when he finds out he's been bitten. Nothing in the film seemed to imply that he was an evil or callous person, or even all that interested in self preservation (he willingly decided to go on a suicide mission, after all).

The reason Vanderhoe gives for joining the heist is his guilt over his actions in the zombie war - when he closes his eyes, he says, he can't tell whether the zombies he killed were monsters or people. He agrees to come seeking "catharsis" to resolve his guilt.

When he gets to Lost Vegas, everything he encounters there backs up the fact that he was killing people. The zombies have a society with a political structure, they use tools, they make agreements, they tame and domesticated animals. Nothing they encounter is providing that release from guilt.

Except... At the end of the movie, the U. S. government, lead by Trump, commits genocide against these people.

When Vanderhoe is in the bathroom on the flight and discovers he got a zombie bite, he gets his moment of emotional release: even though he killed people, he also has a chance to save them, by passing on their culture.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The reason Vanderhoe gives for joining the heist is his guilt over his actions in the zombie war - when he closes his eyes, he says, he can't tell whether the zombies he killed were monsters or people. He agrees to come seeking "catharsis" to resolve his guilt.

When he gets to Lost Vegas, everything he encounters there backs up the fact that he was killing people. The zombies have a society with a political structure, they use tools, they make agreements, they tame and domesticated animals. Nothing they encounter is providing that release from guilt.

Except... At the end of the movie, the U. S. government, lead by Trump, commits genocide against these people.

When Vanderhoe is in the bathroom on the flight and discovers he got a zombie bite, he gets his moment of emotional release: even though he killed people, he also has a chance to save them, by passing on their culture.

I could easily tell if the zombies I killed were monsters or people by observing if they were impossible undead killing machines but I'm different

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Goatstein posted:

Have you guys ever considered that the apparent lapses in logic are maybe because this is a zombie movie starring a wrestler directed by a moron

:actually: you would know that Bautista is not a wrestler sports entertainer anymore because he was forced to retire when he lost his match against HHH at WrestleMania 35.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The zombies are singing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjNkPuFeMvs

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

bees everywhere posted:

Silent Hill, too

Oh poo poo! That's right! drat Zack.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Goatstein posted:

Thank you, cinemasins guy

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Goatstein posted:

Ex-wrestler.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Now watch Bautista show up at Summerslam.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
He didn't get all that work done to take chair shots, I am afraid.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Bautista is an angel

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
People should feel about Batista the way Xavier Woods feels about his theme music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1B-DlTRgBM

Bit of a pity the Animal didn't powerbomb any zombies in this one, maybe next time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
tig got done dirty

should have left chris in so he would die like the punkass he is

should have been Kernkraft 400 instead of Cranberries

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Goatstein posted:

While this is an uncharitable description, I am nonetheless loling and lmfaoing

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 25, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm honestly a little surprised he doesn't off himself immediately when he finds out he's been bitten.

I was thinking that as end credits rolled, but it depends if he has a gun and bullets on his person, otherwise the ways to off yourself in an airplane bathroom are kind of limited, and it has to be brain destruction too. Hanging yourself or whatever just ensures your corpse will reanimate anyway.

I guess the moral thing to do would be to call ahead and say 'yo infected person landing on this plane quarantine it with napalm' but then that depends on however gets the call not also being interested in weaponising zombie DNA in which case it all starts again.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

McCloud posted:

Thank you, cinemasins guy

When the trolls barge into improv class and say that's not a gun it's your finger

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

massive spider posted:

I was thinking that as end credits rolled, but it depends if he has a gun and bullets on his person, otherwise the ways to off yourself in an airplane bathroom are kind of limited, and it has to be brain destruction too. Hanging yourself or whatever just ensures your corpse will reanimate anyway.

I guess the moral thing to do would be to call ahead and say 'yo infected person landing on this plane quarantine it with napalm' but then that depends on however gets the call not also being interested in weaponising zombie DNA in which case it all starts again.

I do forget, do we see any people in the movie straight up shoot themselves in the head when they realize they're infected? Like during the opening or anything? I got the impression that for scenes like where Chambers dies, a lot of the behavior we see from the team makes more sense if like they literally don't know anything about the zombies at all beyond "shoot in the head to kill" and a "if they bite you really hard you might get infected, the alpha zombies sometimes do a slightly different thing where you become more like them". Having some uncertainty about how all that stuff works adds a lot of room for the cliche "well maybe I'LL be just fine" mindset and other stuff in the movie.

Especially post COVID though, like remember early on that plane went to Florida with people who straight up had it and everyone on the plane was allowed to disembark and go about their business like nothing happened? Whole neighborhoods that maintained it wasn't serious and refused to wear masks even as everyone died around them? How that character acts unfortunately seems pretty on point.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 25, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would have liked to see one of the alphas pick up a gun

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goatstein posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo rear end in a top hat.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Goatstein posted:

I could easily tell if the zombies I killed were monsters or people by observing if they were impossible undead killing machines but I'm different

Vanderohe indicated that he was already somewhat familiar with the higher-consciousness Alpha zombies when the Coyote was explaining the concept to the team.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Somewhat relatedly, Vanderohe's recurrent relationship with the circular saw culminates with Zeus agreeing to a hand-to-hand fight. Intercut with this is the mercenary team using the circular saw to escape from the trap laid by Tanaka's crony where he reveals the ultimate plan.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 25, 2021

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Goatstein posted:

Succinct, and penetrating. A goatstein post.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hoping for this in the prequel/whatever spinoff stuff they do.

Like unironically just have the military recover and do weird science/robo zombie stuff with Bautista and Vanderohe, there's your Army of the Dead

Speaking of this they're not used much but was Nightmare City (1980) the first zombies with guns movie (also the first fast zombies movie)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKa_B6vkVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNd8aL41c5I

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 25, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

massive spider posted:

It's just not a normal human urge to commit suicide, either directly or by inducing someone else to shoot you in the head. How many real diseases are terminal 100% of the time? I can absolutely see somebody bitten by a zombie thinking "how do we know everyone who gets bit becomes a zombie? Maybe I'll be OK"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I just remembered what this movie's depth of scope reminded me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTfbMioezc

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

1. rofl, never get tired of it

2. that's not depth of field, they've just slapped a gradient blur on the top and bottom to let you know it's a memory

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

2house2fly posted:

It's just not a normal human urge to commit suicide, either directly or by inducing someone else to shoot you in the head. How many real diseases are terminal 100% of the time? I can absolutely see somebody bitten by a zombie thinking "how do we know everyone who gets bit becomes a zombie? Maybe I'll be OK"

Rabies is and is pretty much the template of "zombie virus"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

josh04 posted:

1. rofl, never get tired of it

2. that's not depth of field, they've just slapped a gradient blur on the top and bottom to let you know it's a memory

Learn something new everyday.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jenny Nicholson saw this last night (she liked it) but I was looking at replies to her and saw this which I found particularly unhinged

Did I miss something when watching the movie? That didn't happen at all right? The only nudity I remember is the showgirl zombies in the opening credits. And the only other nudity I can remember in a Snyder film is Watchmen which was directly from the comics. (I haven't seen Dawn or 300 which I would not be surprised had nudity, and from my understanding all the Owls in Guardians are mostly nude)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Quick think and the Snyder movies with female cast nudity are the Owl Movie, 300, Watchmen, and BvS. In BvS it's shot around.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Yeah that stuck with me too. I mean in the situation the other fated characters end up in, where in the midst of the action its pretty obvious you are Not Gonna Make It then I could see being in the best mindset there could be to putting a gun to your head and blowing your brains out, but just to get out seemingly unscathed and suddenly realise you've got to kill yourself *right now*. Ahhhhhh

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

the Owl movie...for kids...had nudity....?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jenny Nicholson saw this last night (she liked it) but I was looking at replies to her and saw this which I found particularly unhinged

Did I miss something when watching the movie? That didn't happen at all right? The only nudity I remember is the showgirl zombies in the opening credits. And the only other nudity I can remember in a Snyder film is Watchmen which was directly from the comics. (I haven't seen Dawn or 300 which I would not be surprised had nudity, and from my understanding all the Owls in Guardians are mostly nude)
They didn't mention anything about being nude in the movie. I guess this might explain the varying reception these movies get, apparently you can only enjoy them if the main actress is nude while you watch them?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Right on the poster even, surprised this wasn't NC-17:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

NWS that poo poo

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I heard Tarantino is doing his own version of 'Happy Feet' that's NC-17

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Shageletic posted:

Full frontal:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Let the record show that I was beaten to the joke because my computer crashed, not because I was slow off the mark

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Well I'm all aflutter now

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You think they'd cover those hooters up for a kid's film, jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This page is making my head spin, what a hoot!