Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Monkey Fracas posted:

In RE4 why does Leon stop doing the spinning back kick and start suplexing guys off of the knee shot after you get to the castle

am I imagining this
No. Leon uses a spinning side kick on downed villagers, and a suplex on downed monks and soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think that was specifically a design choice for a few reasons. First, the castle has a lot of stairs and it'd be awkward to do the kick animation on stairs. It's also mostly close-quarters, where you can't really kick enemies that far. I also think they did it because the suplex is more often an instant kill, and it's a tougher section of the game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

King Vidiot posted:

I think that was specifically a design choice for a few reasons. First, the castle has a lot of stairs and it'd be awkward to do the kick animation on stairs. It's also mostly close-quarters, where you can't really kick enemies that far. I also think they did it because the suplex is more often an instant kill, and it's a tougher section of the game.

Suplexing someone on a staircase makes about 1000% less sense than kicking them. To clarify this is not a bad thing I'm just saying.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm not saying it makes sense, but roundhouse kicking someone up a staircase would look weirder than suplexing them onto a staircase. Although kicking them down the stairs would look better than suplex... look, it's complicated.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
HUNNIGAN, TURN OFF MY WRESTLING INHIBITORS

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Monkey Fracas posted:

The Merchants are just part of some different distributed hivemind bioweapon consciousness

They're an accessory force to all of the other deployed bioweapons to make sure conflict keeps humming along

RE 4 Remake is still something they are working right? I can totally see this being extra lore they add on to The Merchant and now his good friend The Duke. I hope they don't though. Some things don't really need an answer and the merchant has earned a bit of mystery about him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I like the knife in RE8 just for finishing motherfuckers off once they hit the ground. I haven't mastered or even begun to try and figure out how to fight with it regular style.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

You'd imagine some speedrunner would have mathematically figured out exactly where you're supposed to stop in the survive sequence by now.

You just have to survive for 3-4 minutes. The archers/Urias spawning mark the first/second minute respectively, along with Ethan's exclamations. After ~4 minutes have passed you'll be grabbed/shot by an arrow and the event will end.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BiggerBoat posted:

I like the knife in RE8 just for finishing motherfuckers off once they hit the ground. I haven't mastered or even begun to try and figure out how to fight with it regular style.

after your second swing tap block and you will break the waiting period, allowing you to stab constantly

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The real question is why Leon goes for the suplex when his enemy is kneeling. That's way harder!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Monkey Fracas posted:

HUNNIGAN, TURN OFF MY WRESTLING INHIBITORS

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really desperately wish RE8 had melee actions. It would make Mercenaries so much more fun.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I really desperately wish RE8 had melee actions. It would make Mercenaries so much more fun.
I honestly thought it was going to when they mentioned Ethan getting "combat training" or whatever in the prologue bit.

Its so weird to not have them too considering all of the other RE4 references in the game.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

You just have to survive for 3-4 minutes. The archers/Urias spawning mark the first/second minute respectively, along with Ethan's exclamations. After ~4 minutes have passed you'll be grabbed/shot by an arrow and the event will end.

You also have to be "grabbable" or the event will continue on forever. Can't be on a ladder or somewhere where the lycans can't get to you. An easy way to do this is just outside of the house where a lycan attacks you there is a blue(iirc) gate leading to a side path. Running through this door and crouching while pressing your body against it to stop the lycans opening it after you means you can just do this for a few minutes before letting them through and the cutscene will immediately trigger. Doing it too early will get you eaten but there's no penalty for waiting an extra minute.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Played too much of this game and beat it on Hardcore out the gate. My only issues doing so were the intro survive sequence and that the game offered very little feedback if you were attacking a boss' weak points or not (but the series doesn't do this often anyway come to think of it), which sorta sucked since they all have like a billionty-seven hitpoints. The normal enemies didn't seem to be heavy sides of beef designed to absorb all of my bullets.

Immediately jumped into NG+ on normal to shoot a few things. That survive situation is so much more passive I was leaning back in my chair and chuckling. Eventually being thrown from the inside of the first building the attack triggers in, through the walls, and a block or two down the way into the river.
Shorly after realizing how long it would take to max out a gun, I just infinite ammo'd the grenade launcher and spent some time blowing up windows in a castle before prying my hands off of the mouse.

Great game, and that ending :cry:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Martian Manfucker posted:

You also have to be "grabbable" or the event will continue on forever. Can't be on a ladder or somewhere where the lycans can't get to you. An easy way to do this is just outside of the house where a lycan attacks you there is a blue(iirc) gate leading to a side path. Running through this door and crouching while pressing your body against it to stop the lycans opening it after you means you can just do this for a few minutes before letting them through and the cutscene will immediately trigger. Doing it too early will get you eaten but there's no penalty for waiting an extra minute.

You can definitely get grabbed from some areas they can't get to because I accidentally clipped through a wall into one last time lol

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That ending was certainly something.

My immediate thought on the Miranda reveal was that Rose was only, what...one year old at the time of the game. So how long exactly had Miranda been pretending to be Mia? Is that baby even Mia's?

I've also seen the question thrown around just who is living in Rose's head at this point. That suit with her at the end implies Eveline is, but Eveline apparently shows up to anyone with Mold even after she should be dead (see the scene with Ethan). It's interesting, and the kind of thing I don't trust Capcom to ever address again, hoho

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DeathChicken posted:

That ending was certainly something.

My immediate thought on the Miranda reveal was that Rose was only, what...one year old at the time of the game. So how long exactly had Miranda been pretending to be Mia? Is that baby even Mia's?

Only about a week before the start of the game

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I realize how much I take graphical advances for granted as I get older after moments like, after beating 8, I decided to replay 7 (from PS5 to PS4Pro) and thought from 2017 memory they look roughly similar graphically, I can't tell the difference anymore. But seeing them side by side and especially looking at non-photo mode screenshots I took of Village, 8's lighting and stuff made 7 feel like a PS3 game by comparison, and I still loved 7 on replay (I did it in VR originally, this was my first 2D playthrough). Capcom are some masters of atmospheric lighting in both games, but the heavy dark/light contrast in 8 especially in the last major area... I think of REmake HD looking so good, but any of these RE8 screenshots would've been gorgeous static backdrops for classic style RE games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Electromax posted:

I realize how much I take graphical advances for granted as I get older after moments like, after beating 8, I decided to replay 7 (from PS5 to PS4Pro) and thought from 2017 memory they look roughly similar graphically, I can't tell the difference anymore. But seeing them side by side and especially looking at non-photo mode screenshots I took of Village, 8's lighting and stuff made 7 feel like a PS3 game by comparison, and I still loved 7 on replay (I did it in VR originally, this was my first 2D playthrough). Capcom are some masters of atmospheric lighting in both games, but the heavy dark/light contrast in 8 especially in the last major area... I think of REmake HD looking so good, but any of these RE8 screenshots would've been gorgeous static backdrops for classic style RE games.

The face models look weird to me in RE7. By RE2make they were looking much better and RE3make and RE8 they look great.

EDIT: Especially Mia. Something looks really off to me about her face in 7 but in 8 she looks fine

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The ray-traced reflections and GI do make a big difference for the overall image even if they're kind of crude compared to more fully RTX utilized games.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The face models look weird to me in RE7. By RE2make they were looking much better and RE3make and RE8 they look great.

EDIT: Especially Mia. Something looks really off to me about her face in 7 but in 8 she looks fine

Yeah, I think 7 still looks pretty good for the most part (and I think generally more atmospheric with better storytelling than 8, despite not being as graphically advanced), but I agree the humans are a little off and uncanny in an unintentional way. Mia's hair stood out as kind of distracting in my last playthrough.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Maybe it's because my XBox is old, but when E-007 crumbles into pieces it just looks like blobs.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DeathChicken posted:

Rose is about six months old. The file in Ethan's study at the start of the game is confusing for Americans because it's using European date structure, but there's a photo of Rose and Mia on the fridge in Ethan's kitchen that's celebrating Rose's "first half-birthday." Rose was born in August 2020.

There's a file about a third of the way into the game that hints that Miranda had only been away from the village for a few days.

DeathChicken posted:

I've also seen the question thrown around just who is living in Rose's head at this point. That suit with her at the end implies Eveline is, but Eveline apparently shows up to anyone with Mold even after she should be dead (see the scene with Ethan). It's interesting, and the kind of thing I don't trust Capcom to ever address again, hoho

You know, on the one hand, Capcom's shown some willingness to dig way into the back catalog for characters and lore. Revelations 2 was the first time anyone had ever thought of Moira since RE3, and Sherry had been in limbo for 12 real-time years by the time they made RE6.

On the other, sitting on a plot hook for a decade is a lateral move at best.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I love these so much. Moreau’s Pokemon look genuinely concerned for him, the poor guy.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
gee wonder who the first bad guy will be in the resident evil dead by daylight crossover. hmm i wonder which of the many many monsters they would pic- of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQbl-Tequks

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's real weird that the first time Leon and Jill are even onscreen together is going to be in Dead by Daylight.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The level of work they went into on the RPD stage looks pretty nuts for what stages usually are in DBD. Nemesis bringing zombies to the game is gonna be wild.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair to Leon "lives his entire (un)life in a constant cycle of horrifying monster disaster" is pretty on brand for him

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Is that the same stage from REverse??

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
spoilers from the end of the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNzlm3b1pf8

the bsaa bioweapons are clones of chris :eyepop:

who else are cloning, with sunglasses? :eyepop:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Vikar Jerome posted:

gee wonder who the first bad guy will be in the resident evil dead by daylight crossover. hmm i wonder which of the many many monsters they would pic- of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQbl-Tequks

They figured letting you play as a grotesque giant baby would be unfair, as the killer would win by default when the survivors all force-close the app.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vikar Jerome posted:

spoilers from the end of the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNzlm3b1pf8

the bsaa bioweapons are clones of chris :eyepop:

who else are cloning, with sunglasses? :eyepop:

The dead guy is the real Chris, the living one is the clone.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIVEb64Ldh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDgg4bZHclE

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

jill and nemmy, in the police station once again

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What character has died the most times? Jack Baker dies five times and he's only in one game and its DLC. And I don't mean like Mr. X falling down and not moving; Jack blows his brains out, gets chopped in half, is reduced to a dried out husk, gets decapitated, and then beaten to death and mummified again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

What character has died the most times? Jack Baker dies five times and he's only in one game and its DLC. And I don't mean like Mr. X falling down and not moving; Jack blows his brains out, gets chopped in half, is reduced to a dried out husk, gets decapitated, and then beaten to death and mummified again.

I mean depending on how you view things, probably Ethan.

In RE8 alone he takes several injuries that are somewhere between crippling and lethal not to mention in RE7 he died the first time to a simple Jack boot to the head. Ethan just keeps getting up after being impaled through the stomach or dropped ten stories or having his face smashed into stone over and over but for anything who didn't have precious healing drink that poo poo is absolutely dead.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
When you put it that way, he's basically Wolverine with guns instead of claws. He even starts to offer some salty comebacks.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean we don't know that Ethan dies (even though the game over screen just kinda tells you he does).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Personally I appreciate the game skipping over Ethan coming back to life and crawling his way back to the last checkpoint, just from a pacing perspective