Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ilmucche posted:

Oh I literally own a NA system. Was wondering if it'd be worth bringing over considering I own a bunch of games for it already

Then the answer is "sure". Just make sure the power supply you have is compatible with the local power grid, if not, find a converter or buy a local one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Be careful, as the the NA power brick of the 360 will immediately die a permanent horrible death if you don't plug it into a correct power convertor. It was not a great day for a younger member of my family to learn why using presents before you've been actually given them is a duuuuumb move.

Also related, what games are you planning to use on it. Lost Odyssey is back compatible with a better version, so if a lot of your titles are it might be a better idea to upgrade.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Has anybody ever had trouble getting a PS3 recognized by PSN if they're connecting through a VPN? I've had this thing over the past few months where the IP on the household router keeps getting banned by Akamai Technologies, whose clients include PSN, the Steam webstore (but not the dedicated app), the Washington Post, and, most unfortunately, the IRS. Here's what I'll see on any device connecting through the router, computer or phone:

I've had FiOS reset the IP twice, and each time we get blocked again within about eight hours. I suspect that either the guy living on the floor below us (where the router is located) has had some kind of lovely spyware installed on his PC by his college-age son, or there's something weird about the way his work laptop's VPN is configured that flags us as a threat. Since Monday was tax day, I went out and bought a new router that I could run a VPN on. The PS4, PCs, and phones are all taking to NordVPN just fine (we can watch streaming services we paid for again, wheee), but I haven't been able to connect with the PS3. Even though the network seems fine, when it tries to sign me into PSN, I get "failed" or a "80710016" error code. I don't think I'm banned from PSN because the PS4 has no problems, so I'm wondering if it's a setup/compatibility issue with the new router - I got a "80023017" error when I tried to sign in as a new account. Has anybody else had a problem like this, where the connection seems okay but PSN hates you? Googling has been totally been useless.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Barudak posted:

Be careful, as the the NA power brick of the 360 will immediately die a permanent horrible death if you don't plug it into a correct power convertor. It was not a great day for a younger member of my family to learn why using presents before you've been actually given them is a duuuuumb move.

Also related, what games are you planning to use on it. Lost Odyssey is back compatible with a better version, so if a lot of your titles are it might be a better idea to upgrade.

Pretty much just lost odyssey and Forza 4. Probably dark souls but I have those on steam now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'd, honestly, recommend getting a Series S/X instead, in all honesty. You'll lose Forza 4 since its not back compatible but Forza Horizon 4 is an absolutely amazing title and new regular forza is on the way and they're ln game pass. It'll also give you access to Lost Odyssey in a slightly better format along with upgrades to pretty much any other 360* or bone game you want to play.

Hell. Panzer Dragoon Orta on series consoles is 1080p and kicks rear end without issue unlike its weird hitching on 360.

* those that are back compatible, obviously

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
While this is some serious future planning, none of those games will work on XsX when they're eol and drm is shut off.

360 will still work.

https://youtu.be/9E983349p7Q

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
let me see if I've got this right, the solution to using a 360 that someone already owns to play a list of games in which some are BC and some are not BC is to either buy a brand new console that is sold out basically around the world, or buy a brand new console that won't play any of your old 360 retail disc titles? :thunk:

just get the power converter OP unless it's ridiculously expensive to do so. honestly Forza 4 is worth it. if I had to rebuy an entire 360 console right now just to play it, I would

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Also couldn't you just use a USA psu with the foreign 360? Iirc the way they're pinned our, the older beefier ones can connect to any of the newer models, but not vice versa (physically enforced with some pins and stuff)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, my assumption is shipping + a power converter costs are involved plus the discs, so to me paying that money for two games where I could spend 300 to get those plus multiple other libraries + emulation of hardware up through the gamecube seems a much smarter use of money/space in my home but obviously to each their own.

falz posted:

While this is some serious future planning, none of those games will work on XsX when they're eol and drm is shut off.

360 will still work.

https://youtu.be/9E983349p7Q

If the server authenticating xbox stuff goes down then the server authenticating your 360/letting you reset the bios battery is also down which means it will eventually brick a la the PS3, no?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Barudak posted:

If the server authenticating xbox stuff goes down then the server authenticating your 360/letting you reset the bios battery is also down which means it will eventually brick a la the PS3, no?

Neither console stops playing physical discs when their CMOS battery dies (downloaded titles is a different matter). You are thinking of their successors though, who both do this and just become expensive bricks if they can't sync time anymore.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Neither console stops playing physical discs when their CMOS battery dies (downloaded titles is a different matter). You are thinking of their successors though, who both do this and just become expensive bricks if they can't sync time anymore.

Huh, thanks for the tip. I was thinking this whole time the discs on PS3 were gonna stop as well but yeah looks as though thats a PS4 specific issue. Not that it'll help too much if you try to play games that are terrible without their patches.

Someone mentioned that the Castlevania Lords of Shadow collection that comes with all the DLC "on disc" can't use the DLC as DLC requires a higher version of the game than whats printed on the disc.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Barudak posted:

Huh, thanks for the tip. I was thinking this whole time the discs on PS3 were gonna stop as well but yeah looks as though thats a PS4 specific issue. Not that it'll help too much if you try to play games that are terrible without their patches.

You can install 360 Title Updates over USB.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Can I use any 92mm fan for the XBox 360 Slim, or are the 2 screw holes and cables not standardised? It would be cool to use a super silent fan by a good brand. Thank you!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Cool, I'll look at getting a power converter I guess. Will have to wait until I can go back to north america to get it. The consoles are sitting in my parents' basement doing nothing since I left so why not

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Drakengard 3 and Heavenly Sword are both reportedly better played on RPCS3 than on an actual PS3, since you can smooth out their technical issues and run them at 60FPS.

Dragon's Crown Pro exists on PS4, but we played Dragon's Crown last night and, if you can get past the ludicrous character designs, it's a really fun co-op game that feels like a cross between Odin Sphere and the old D&D Shadow Over Mystara beat 'em ups.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

galaga legions needs a steam release

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If you want games that can be played on a 360 but not anything newer, I’d recommend:

Jet Set Radio Future (The disc containing JSRF and SEGA GT is much cheaper)
Burnout 3: Takedown
Project Gotham Racing 3 and 4
Forza Motorsport 4
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (Hideously expensive)
Sonic 06 (lol not really)

What’s the most recent game you consider retro, and not one that’s deliberately trying to be? I mean something like a AAA game that feels completely different from modern games.

Early PS3/360 games like Lost Planet and Uncharted 1 feel like this to me. For $60 you get a 6 hour linear shooter and no side content. Pretty crazy after how substantial most late PS2/GC/Xbox games were. Even later ones like MGS4, RE5 and DMC4 were noticeably shorter than their previous games.

Although the most recent retro game would have to be Kingdom Hearts III because it feels like a PS2 game that’s been given a UE4 makeover, and that’s exactly why I like it. Even the voice acting fits, it’s like it was recorded back when RE1’s acting was considered good enough.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What's the best way to get a PS3 controller? I assume Sony isn't making them anymore and I'm worried about picking up a used one and discovering it sucks.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Probably a dualshock 4, unless you need sixaxis. I haven't looked myself but I hear fakes are abundant for DS3s.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Probably a dualshock 4, unless you need sixaxis. I haven't looked myself but I hear fakes are abundant for DS3s.

I thought those were for the PS4, do they work on the PS3 too?

And I know you don't need the sixaxis stuff to beat MGS4, but it would still be a shame to not have it when watching the cutscenes.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Something about Biomutant made it feel, to me, like a lost Xbox 360 game that suddenly turned up in the modern era.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I last tried to purchase a DualShock 3 a year and a half ago. Four different supposed genuine OEM controllers from four different sellers on Amazon and eBay combined, all for prices that appeared legit for a Sony controller, and all four were counterfeit piece of poo poo controllers. When I put in for refunds they were all processed immediately and none of the sellers ever asked for the controllers to be shipped back, so then I had to figure out what to do with four fake PS3 controllers. As far as I'm concerned, DS3's are virtually impossible to find except for at garage sales used and in questionable condition

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Gripweed posted:

I thought those were for the PS4, do they work on the PS3 too?

And I know you don't need the sixaxis stuff to beat MGS4, but it would still be a shame to not have it when watching the cutscenes.

Kinda, here's a compatability list, at least as of 2016. Looks like you don't get any rumble either.

barnold posted:

...used and in questionable condition

And thanks to the flexi-pcb they are a nightmare to work on.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I just disassembled my PS3 Slim to put new thermal paste since it ran really loud and hot. Now it seems a bit quieter, but the system is still reporting idle temperature at around 60 celsius, which is about 5 degrees less than it was before. Do these consoles just run hot or what?

Grindcore ASMR
Nov 28, 2015

I've just kind of been playing the same games for a while on the PS3. Could anyone give me any recommendations for mostly action/adventure type games?

Some of my faves:

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Castle Crashers
Hotline Miami
Hotline Miami 2
Max Payne 3
Grand Theft Auto V
Red Dead Redemption
Virtua Fighter 5
Mortal Kombat 9
Katamari Damacy
Final Fight/Magic Castle

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Saboteur

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Grindcore ASMR posted:

I've just kind of been playing the same games for a while on the PS3. Could anyone give me any recommendations for mostly action/adventure type games?

Some of my faves:

Castle Crashers
Hotline Miami
Hotline Miami 2
Max Payne 3
Grand Theft Auto V
Red Dead Redemption
Virtua Fighter 5
Mortal Kombat 9
Katamari Damacy
Final Fight/Magic Castle

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Way of Samurai 3 (if you want it played straight) or 4 (if you Saints Row: Meiji Restoration Edition)
Burnout: Crash!
Yakuza 3-5 (if you don't have something to play the reissues on)

You can play the entire canon Metal Gear series (plus Revengeance) on the PS3, which I absolutely love.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Barudak posted:

Someone mentioned that the Castlevania Lords of Shadow collection that comes with all the DLC "on disc" can't use the DLC as DLC requires a higher version of the game than whats printed on the disc.

This is kind of an old post but recently they fixed that cmos issue for ps4 too.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Grindcore ASMR posted:

Some of my faves:

Castle Crashers
Hotline Miami
Hotline Miami 2
Max Payne 3
Grand Theft Auto V
Red Dead Redemption
Virtua Fighter 5
Mortal Kombat 9
Katamari Damacy
Final Fight/Magic Castle

Binary Domain and Vanquish. They're also on PC, but I originally played them on PS3.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

do the 360 and the ps3 work with a crt at all? can any games run in 4:3?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Shibawanko posted:

The PS3 can use the standard PS2 video cables(so the red, white & yellow cables and svart) and does iirc have a 480p mode, but honestly I have never tried it. I think the 360 should work on CRTs since I remember people complaining about tiny subtitles on non-HD TVs. How well it would work for any of them I can't say.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hi, it's me, the person who used a X360 back in the day with an oldass CRT because I didn't have one of those new fangled wide screen LCD/Plasma TVs. By the time I started playing Fallout 3 I said enough was enough, because I couldn't read poo poo. But I still played a bunch of X360 games on that oldass CRT, so it works, but most games after 2008 clearly weren't expecting you to. I used a SCART cable if anyone cares, because that's what Euro TVs used.

Edit: reminder that the earlier versions of the X360 didn't even have HDMI output and the best it could do was Component.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 17, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the 360 launched before HDMI became the defacto standard.

And I played MGS4 at 480p on a CRT so that mode worked even if the PS3 grouses

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Edit: reminder that the earlier versions of the X360 didn't even have HDMI output and the best it could do was Component.
I had the pre-HDMI model of the 360, and it supported VGA output which was pretty darn good for the time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i found an aqua blue ps3 with 2 controllers at a bookoff for just 4000 yen, but didnt buy it because i wasnt sure id use it. came back a day later and it was gone so now im hitting myself

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I had a DLP HDTV in Jan 2005 and had HD OG Xbox on it. Then got a 360 in December.

Definitely wayyyy uncommon to see HDTVs in folks houses then.

480i (not p) may be what y'all taking about for component unless someone had VGA or EDTV.

So yeah it would've been super common for at least a few years.

It wasn't until something like Dead Rising came out (2006?) Where Capcom made the fonts for HDTV (smaller) which was hard to read on SDTV, a bunch of people were complaining about it at the time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Kins posted:

I had the pre-HDMI model of the 360, and it supported VGA output which was pretty darn good for the time.

I still use the VGA on my 360 since you can select 1024x768 native resolution with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

You can even play 1080p files and get them in glorious scart/component RGB. Full-screen Snyder Cut Justice League in 4:3 IMAX is amazing!

(It will of course be 576i/480i/480p or whatever, but as good as it can get)