Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They switched to using Lumberyard a long time ago because it allowed them to continue using a CryEngine (Lumberyard is a branch of CryEngine) without paying CryTek any license fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is the game out? I think I'm entitled to know.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Popete posted:

They switched to using Lumberyard a long time ago because it allowed them to continue using a CryEngine (Lumberyard is a branch of CryEngine) without paying CryTek any license fees.

Yeah, they did it in two or three days.

Insert mspaint_lumberyard_branch.gif

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Is the game out? I think I'm entitled to know.

yes, but also no, depending on why you're asking

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Are things stirring into life, right under our noses? posted:

Sounds a tad optimistic I know, but I’m wondering whether CIG are rolling out multiple core tech changes without clearly roadmapping them.

Roll back a few days, CIG scrubbed a large number of items from the 3.14 release. I’m like a lot of people here, I see it and I get salty. Combine it with heavily marketed ship sales event* and it’s easy to get angry with the project thinking that if we can’t do the little things, how are we ever going to make it through to the big stuff.

But here are the green shoots I think we’re seeing, representing fundamental and significant changes to the game:

1 - Tony Z’s presentation was interesting, mainly for the fact that one of the elements is already in game. Commodity price alerts. It’s the thin end of a very large wedge and I’m guessing CIG will use it as a case study before introducing other elements, but the significant part is that there was no card. It came out of the blue. Had CIG put a card on the release view saying “Introduction of Quantum based commodities system”, we’d all have been whooping with joy, but CIG chose not to telegraph it.

That was the obvious one - here’s another, and I’m keen for views on this:

2 - Performance characteristics in a gaming instance are not universal across all planetary system regions since 3.13. Up to and including 3.12, I’m confident that when a player in, say, Crusader complained about server performance, players as far away as Microtech would agree. The only difference in experience would be the comparative client build specs. However, since 3.13 I’m sure this has changed.

It seems more common to me now that when a player in one location talks in chat about performance issues, not everyone on the server agrees. Agreement is only found within the planetary system. I spent a lot of time at ArcCorp at the start of 3.13 - and performance was exceptional. Seeing others suggest the server was being hammered was at odds with my experience entirely. Yet if I flew to the local system in question, I would then share the same degraded performance characteristics.

Assuming this is being done by object container - either we’re seeing a proto form of static meshing, or maybe server resource partitioning by container?

I’m winging it, I know, but if I’m right, that would be another serious advancement not shown on the release view.

In a game with open development, you’d expect all this to come in with a fanfare, but I believe we’re at the level where project sensitivities outweigh everything else and I think going forward, we’re going to have CIG test things and then reveal them, rather than invite us in to watch the surgery.

tokes on Copium

FWIW, that's my take on it. Would be interested in the views of others.

* NOTE: I don’t think Invictus is purely a marketing event - it’s a combination of that plus testing things at scale. 3.8 was a near disaster for me, unable to even log on for 90% of the time. This time around, CIG have scaled out the logon and supporting services and it's 'just worked'. We’ve also got a really well thought out in-lore experience with multiple capital ships, Lightnings, and Javelin tours. Credit where it’s due.

quote:

It is my contention that the first episode seen by the community of server to server transfer happened at CitizenCon 2019 when the Carrack went from Stanton to Pyro, they breathed a notable sigh of relief when they emerged at Pyro (I was in the second row back on the right side watching) the traversal wasn't that difficult, and when they got there they didn't do anything.. but to them it was the big finale and you could see it on their faces. In order to make that log out / log in transfer they had to have persistence to keep all the players and object containers inside the Carrack as it transitioned. This is the requirement for the first stages of static server meshing, connected client synchronised log out and back in to another server without needing to go to the menu. Soon after this we got the improved party system.

In this last patch something happened to me that I've never seen before, my ship was damaged and I landed at Port Tressler after a long QT from Everus Harbor, stored it and then retrieved it after logging out and back in - when I got it back it was still damaged and needed to be repaired and refuelled.

For most of early 2020 they were testing persistence, the 'Where is Pico' contest was all about player owned object container persistence between log in / log out. In the realms of extrapolating - in early 2020 some players were reporting that when in QT their ship would suddenly disappear and leave them in space, or that things in their ship would disappear. We knew from posts made by Clive Johnson that the first stages of static server meshing would include fixed boundaries out in space that players would likely transition across during QT the majority of the time. Thus we might expect if they we transitioning between static server bubbles and the persistence database failed to update correctly the server they transitioned to, they lost the ship or contents - some were reporting sudden loss of atmosphere in the ship during QT for example.

We don't see so many reports of these anomalies now and persistence at least aboard ship is working which means jump gate transfer server to server shouldn't be an issue for players and static server meshed transfers should also work. Just recently with this last patch players are reporting that frame rates on some servers are higher than usual, this could be due to players collecting in certain areas and so object containers being streamed out are reducing server entity load... or it could be that servers are only loading parts of the Stanton system.

They are definitely working on persistence and Tony's confirmation that iCache is virtually done suggest that the 'major tech' he's talking about which is currently being actively worked on is almost certainly static server meshing. What other 'major' technical back end requirement is there? Chris said in 2019 at CitizenCon they did expect to begin server meshing around the 3rd quarter of 2020 and here we are in 2nd quarter 2021. Crusader and Orison is still planned for release next quarter, the servers were already at maximum capacity when microTech was added, we always assumed Orison was waiting on static server meshing and that seems to make sense now.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Sound
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AjarDiligentDogwoodtwigborer-mobile.mp4

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

marumaru posted:

i found the video to be unironically interesting, but i wonder how much of that will reflect into the gameplay. this sounds sick for a strategy game though.

Tony's videos can be theoretically interesting but the problem is they've been putting them out for 6 years, and they are all just theory, there is never any implementation because they simply aren't capable of it

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The nature of a Citizen is to see the world's smallest ant mound and immediately go "I bet this is the first foothill of the tallest mountain in the world" over and over again with every step, forever

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Let's face it, they are never going to run out of money

quote:

Lord Chris thinketh.
Lord Tony bringeth.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
But who is the lord that delayeth I wonder.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

trucutru posted:

the subreddit's completely forgotten the stuff they were livid about a week or two ago.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

trucutru posted:

The turf, it is astro

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

marumaru posted:

the subreddit's completely forgotten the stuff they were livid about a week or two ago.

So you're saying persistence hasn't been implemented yet?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Citizens so badly want Tony Z to be seen as a legendary developer so they can have someone to point to and say "see it's all legit!". Too bad Tony hasn't worked on video games since the 90s.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Popete posted:

Citizens so badly want Tony Z to be seen as a legendary developer so they can have someone to point to and say "see it's all legit!". Too bad Tony hasn't worked on video games since the 90s.

No no, don't you see, filthy fudster? The reason he hasn't put anything out is that he's been working so hard on this sooper secret AI hot dog vendor's hopes and dreams programming architecture. This is the magnum opus of the greatest computer genius of our generation. He's just too dedicated to his craft to, y'know, put out working software.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Popete posted:

Tony Z is what happens when you cut paychecks to the "ideas guy".

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Popete posted:

Well since he is so legendary, he's going to look like such a fool when the clown show collapses in on itself.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The funny thing is that I am reading more and more replies that are kind of

quote:

Tony and Brian are the only two that have called out Chris on his bullshit.

Which recognize that Chris is full of poo poo but don't worry fellow commandos, Tony will take care of us. Buy a Javelin.

e: I have found the most SC post ever

quote:

BTW....did anyone while listening to TZ say the word "attribute" over and over...imagine a quanta standing up and going 'TRIBUTE!!!!"

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

trucutru posted:

Which recognize that Chris is full of poo poo but don't worry fellow commandos, Tony will take care of us. Buy a Javelin.

ah the good ol' Shamless Grifter Cop / Washed Up Dev Cop routine. A classic.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

They really are proud of these stands where the server stares rigidly ahead and shouts the same stock phrase repeatedly aren’t they?

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1397270155252666371

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

smellmycheese posted:

They really are proud of these stands where the server stares rigidly ahead and shouts the same stock phrase repeatedly aren’t they?

Wait wasn't this same shot or a very similar one roundly mocked when someone tried to use it as an example of the fantastic graphics in Star Citizen?

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

smellmycheese posted:

Great screencap! I can see the quanta processing quintillions of bytes of data per nanosecond from here! Boy, the pipelines sure are pipelining now!

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

"Coffee to 60", now featuring 3 giant display screens with no power, and prices not displayed anywhere!

Yes, I know that's 'GO', but that's some bad font work

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Play posted:

Wait wasn't this same shot or a very similar one roundly mocked when someone tried to use it as an example of the fantastic graphics in Star Citizen?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No video game has ever been so proud of it's lifeless vendors.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

commando in tophat posted:

If someone survived the tony zzz video, what the gently caress is even "virtual AI"? I know it is some made up bullshit that doesn't mean anything, but what does he think it is?

It's the definition of AI where the term virtual is used in the almost or basically nothing sense.

Star Citizen has virtual AI.

This is true.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

smellmycheese posted:

i'm the supposedly-emissive COFFEE TO 60 signs which don't cast any light at all onto the coffee stand or nearby environment. Not even some basic texture-baked fakery. low fidelity. CIG thread intern please fix this

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

smellmycheese posted:

Oh yeah, that was the one where I bought a burrito at the last free fly

Which I couldn't eat because my mobiglass was glitching out and wouldn't load my armor so I could remove my helmet

Also the stand doesn't actually have any coffee, lol

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 25, 2021

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

HexiDave posted:

"Coffee to 60", now featuring 3 giant display screens with no power, and prices not displayed anywhere!

Yes, I know that's 'GO', but that's some bad font work

It just looks like men designed all of it.

:ohdear: What will future counter tops look like?

:shrug: Probably heavy panels... and make it lots of panels with big visible seams between the panels. And make it yellow like construction or caution stuff. Because each panel is modular.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

is it time for the star citizen ball pit photoshop again?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

To this day I still do not know who Tony Z is, and I'm not interested in learning lol

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Beet Wagon posted:

To this day I still do not know who Tony Z is, and I'm not interested in learning lol

You know that complex economy Star Citizen doesn't have? He's the one who designed it.

Or, rather, continues to design it.

Or, rather, continually conceptualizes what it will be like when someone designs it.

The Aristocrats! Star Citizen!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

At least the snake oil he's selling sounds deeper than "star wars but the fascists are the good guys"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh yeah right, as if you've never heard of the legendary developer of 1995-1996 hit series Crusader.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Popete posted:

Oh yeah right, as if you've never heard of the legendary developer of 1995-1996 hit series Crusader.

It’s strange to me

I’ve played the crusader series as a kid , and enjoyed it

But I would have never known who created it aside from the splash screen that came up when you loaded in

When did we go from just playing video games to immortalizing the developers ?

I mean , I have over 500 hours into arma 3. And I also couldn’t tell you the names of anyone who worked on it

It just seems weird to me , aside from the ACTUAL household names like Sid Meier - he deserves the accolades

And also. Sid has kept it going since the 80s. He didn’t stop after 1 or 2 games and then just coast on his success, he’s been churning out games all through that time and many many of them were huge hits

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Vs

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

He's the guy that speaks like a self help guru that accidentally taps into nerd dad's inner child, as soon as CI¬G realised this he became their spokesperson. He essentially makes things up but delivers the info in such a banal way he sounds legit.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that there's Tony Z and also there's Brian Chambers. Two nearly identical nonentities, distinguishable in my head only by remembering that Tony Z is the one who can drone Dreams.txt for hours on end, while Brian Chambers is the one who has the haunted, despairing eyes of someone who has listened to Dreams.txt for hours on end.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tony Z seems to genuinely believe he's making something that will actually be in the game someday where as Brian Chambers seems to be a guy who knows SQ42 is never going to be good but he wants to keep getting a pay check so he does the bare minimum public interactions possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Brian is the cup cake dog in a wig and always will be to me