Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Harrow posted:

I'm just getting started but this is definitely the kind of game I'm either going to get way too into or bounce off of fairly early and it's probably going to come down to if I can draw a fun character I like a lot early on. The fact that they give you trials of characters as part of the story makes me impatient to get those characters, too. Like I just did the early prologue mission where Diluc is in your fifth slot and I was like "god drat it this character is fun and I'm never gonna pull him, am I"

The core game is really fun, though, so hopefully I'll draw a character I really click with sooner than later.

If you keep going, at some point in the distant future you too may say "god drat it, not Diluc again".

Seriously though, if you're getting the rainbow (intertwined) fates in decent newbie amounts, the current character banner is pretty good in terms of interesting 4-stars. Beidou has a unique mechanic rewarding precision timing on her counterattack (or, more often, sitting in a grassfire), Xinyan has a shield that rewards good positioning with pyrotechnics that set grassfires, and Xingqiu has one of the best support bursts in the game.

Though, uh, I guess you'd already made your calls there with the trial runs from the event menu? If not, you can get an extremely juiced look at how their mechanics work. (They're at high level with powerful artifacts in an arena fight designed to spit up large amounts of ult charge. Though I don't believe I've ever seen them with constellations, which story guest characters will sometimes have - you can check them out in the characters quick-menu.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Space Opera posted:

This event has killed any desire I've had to play Mona, holy poo poo is her dash bad in combat. On the other hand, I might actually look at building Diona, she's got a lot of the benefits of Noelle but can apply a useful element.

Really, it boosts my desire to play Mona. Her burst can make for insane damage even with a suboptimal DPS character like Amber.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Trial runs aren't that great at showcasing how good or fun a character is, imo. Xingqiu's is absolutely dreadful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Support characters in general suffer from not having anyone good to support. And most of the characters in the game are better as supports, honestly.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Flair posted:

Really, it boosts my desire to play Mona. Her burst can make for insane damage even with a suboptimal DPS character like Amber.

Mona's attacks look cool as hell, too

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
mihoyo doesn't care to fix their games. i encountered a bug that was already reported and experienced by players at launch:

ella musk will become stuck in the "under attack" animation and you can't interact with her. i logged out of the game and closed the launcher. still stuck like this. i joined other worlds, warped, zoned, everything i could think of; nothing fixes it. beware of ella musk's final revenge, "preventing you from completing your dailies whatsoever."

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Bug probably only encountered when Lisa is in the party so no one has seen it since launch

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

^That sucks.

Bit late, but thanks guys. Bennett aquila buffs for now, someday when Eula has eaten her fill of dandelions Jean will see the light of day.

Re: Loot boxes, I feel like cosmetics are a dolphin strategy, vs play being real whale territory. If I can just buy the cosmetics I want, I will for my favorite waifu, then mostly not care. If it's characters, I don't know how much I really want them, because once you play a couple characters you don't like, rolling up a 5* and gearing them only to realize you hate it makes that a more "Am I really sure I want x?" Which isn't a question whales ask themselves I imagine.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Fur20 posted:

mihoyo doesn't care to fix their games. i encountered a bug that was already reported and experienced by players at launch:

ella musk will become stuck in the "under attack" animation and you can't interact with her. i logged out of the game and closed the launcher. still stuck like this. i joined other worlds, warped, zoned, everything i could think of; nothing fixes it. beware of ella musk's final revenge, "preventing you from completing your dailies whatsoever."

If this happens, see if someone in another works has one or more commissions left unfinished. You can join someone for one of their dailies (or on worlds that are set up idling, just do one of theirs without them) and it’ll still add to your daily commission counter.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
sorry man i can't be bothered to trawl randos for an unfinished commission.

this company boasted about their nine-figure profit margins and they can't fix a simple bug they've been aware of for over half a year

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Araganzar posted:

After cracking on Mona's dash I would be remiss if I didn't remind us all what she IS good for:
https://i.imgur.com/b06Brjv.mp4

Wistfully thinking back to when I would have been amazed by this.

My feeling about Mona is just that she's a very solid support-dps party member that provides good burst damage even if she doesn't fit into the roles of either carry or "support that heavily enables DPS, like Xingqiu or Fischl." Like in my Hu Tao party, reactions are already handled by XQ and Bennett handles healing, so the most use I can really get out of a final slot is someone like Mona who just periodically throws out a nuke (I basically swap Mona for Zhongli depending upon whether I think I'll need a shield, but Hu Tao is pretty durable).

I wonder if they'll ever introduce a reaction-support 5* like XQ/Fischl/Xiangling. I don't think any really have that sort of niche.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fur20 posted:

sorry man i can't be bothered to trawl randos for an unfinished commission.

this company boasted about their nine-figure profit margins and they can't fix a simple bug they've been aware of for over half a year

alternately just get on the goon discord and ask somebody to help you for like 2 minutes. that is a dumb bug tho

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I still don't understand Mona's burst. It amplifies someone else damage, right? Does it just trigger on the first instance of damage so some dinky hit can ruin it?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gandlethorpe posted:

I still don't understand Mona's burst. It amplifies someone else damage, right? Does it just trigger on the first instance of damage so some dinky hit can ruin it?

The first hit is amplified really huge, and then there's a few seconds afterwards where every damage is buffed by a smaller amount

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Wasn't expecting much from a lootbox gambling breath of the wild clone but I was surprised to find the game is actually... good? A lot of effort was put into this game and I'm having fun. I get the sense that the resources they are throwing at me now are going to dry up later and I'm going to hit some 'grind X or pay money' threshold. So far the only grinding I've done is exploring and I'm okay with that. Had a weird bug where most of my sidequests disappeared when I let players in my world, but I think it's because my world difficulty jumped from 0 to 1 while they were playing and it raised the AR requirement for those quests? Reloading didn't fix it but reaching AR21 did.

I used the steam big picture mode trick to get my gamepad working but there's this one annoying bug where the LB selection wheel doesn't work unless I let go of my stick the same instant as I release the LB button. It's so annoying repeatedly trying to open the map that I've gone back to PC controls.

I got 2 Bennetts. Been rolling with Barbara / Lisa / Kaeya / Bennett and it's working well. I am an idiot about not using my buildup abilities, they are forever too good to use. Yes that hilichurl is 15 levels higher than me but he's... it's fine. No need to use it. :geno:
How do you quickslot a healing item like that?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

gandlethorpe posted:

It's one of the quirkier things in this game so that's understandable.

On Burst Cast: Applies Illusory Bubble to all enemies caught in the area.
Illusory Bubble: Procs Wet. Causes the next attack to hit the enemy to pop the bubble. The attack that pops the bubble does extra damage. When the bubble pops there is a splash of Hydro damage and then Omen is applied, which increases all damage dealt to the enemy for a short while.

So the deal with Mona nuking things is that the burst of Hydro damage from popping the bubble actually has a real big multiplier and if you can Vaporize it the damage gets huge. It's just very quirky to make it be the Vaporize proc because of the initial burst cast applying Wet.

The method for making the bubble pop be Vaporized is to apply Pyro to the enemy, switch to Mona and use the Burst, wait 2 seconds for the initial Wet proc to fall off, switch to your Pyro character and smack the enemy. The bubble pop damage comes right after the hit that triggers it causing it to Vaporize. A properly built Mona will explode stuff for giant numbers when this is done correctly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sanctum posted:

How do you quickslot a healing item like that?

you have to craft the food bag, but i forget the details of where you get the recipe and whether you build it at the alchemy workbench or at the smithy

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

My feeling about Mona is just that she's a very solid support-dps party member that provides good burst damage even if she doesn't fit into the roles of either carry or "support that heavily enables DPS, like Xingqiu or Fischl." Like in my Hu Tao party, reactions are already handled by XQ and Bennett handles healing, so the most use I can really get out of a final slot is someone like Mona who just periodically throws out a nuke (I basically swap Mona for Zhongli depending upon whether I think I'll need a shield, but Hu Tao is pretty durable).

This sounds like a pretty accurate experience for someone who doesn't use Ganyu.

gandlethorpe posted:

So the key is you apply pyro first with Bennet's Ultimate then swap to Mona in order to cause an elemental reaction (vaporize) during Mona's burst animation.

This is a special case where Mona will be the trigger character for the vaporize reaction when the bubble is "popped" by a subsequent attack instead of the attacking character.

Now you wait 2 seconds with Mona without dashing or doing anything else that would cause her to try to reapply Wet status. This is done to wait out the internal CD on elemental reactions.

Then you swap back to Benny and tap skill. Since you waited and just now swapped from Mona her buffed status from Benny's ultimate will "linger" long enough to affect the bubble pop.

Finally, Sucrose's swirl is a weak application so you can swap to Sucrose in between Benny and Mona's bursts and it will apply the VV debuff without removing the pyro status or causing any other complications.

Make sure to not have any ongoing bursts or other damage/elemental application over time during this, maybe you can do that but I'm not smart enough to not mess it up.

edit: just tried it to make sure, here is a burst pop with a crit and a non crit, from this I can tell Mona's crit damage multiplier was used instead of Benny's.

I use Widsith on Mona which means my damage is usually Who The gently caress Knows It's Widsith so I can't tell you much more about what makes the numbers big.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 25, 2021

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Fur20 posted:

you have to craft the food bag, but i forget the details of where you get the recipe and whether you build it at the alchemy workbench or at the smithy

It's a crafting recipe you get from Mondstadt reputation, which you can start working on earning at AR 25.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Holy poo poo first it was Ella Musk for 6 straight days and now it's loving Chang the Ninth for 5 (and counting) for comms, I know it's random but stints like this make it seem like the comm system is broken as gently caress.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
We have numbers and visualizations for given character use in Abyss and their constellations:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm apparently playing the game wrong. You're supposed to blow all your gems on weapons. :gonk:

Edit: also 5* cons. Jesus.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think the lesson is more that most casual players don't do the Abyss and/or fill out this survey, so it's weighted heavily towards whales.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Elemental Reaction Trial was honestly just depressing. Even though the game hypes it up as them doing Incredible Damage, anything but Vaporize or Melt still does jack poo poo to the enemies. Frankly I had kind of assumed that the reactions were better than that, or at least that they could theoretically be decent with enough Elemental Mastery, but this trial proved me wrong.

Like, Sucrose with 700+ EM is doing swirls for 2000 that barely dent the enemy. It's depressing, is what it is.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 25, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Misty dungeon was really fun.... I guess I enjoy subpar comps more than real ones.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Clarste posted:

The Elemental Reaction Trial was honestly just depressing. Even though the game hypes it up as them doing Incredible Damage, anything but Vaporize or Melt still does jack poo poo to the enemies. Frankly I had kind of assumed that the reactions were better than that, or at least that they could theoretically be decent with enough Elemental Mastery, but this trial proved me wrong.

Like, Sucrose with 700+ EM is doing swirls for 2000 that barely dent the enemy. It's depressing, is what it is.

I think they tuned Swirl with the idea that most anemo users can proc it multiple times as sort of a passive DoT, but even so yeah it's poo poo no matter how much you invest in it. there's a video somewhere of a sucrose with like 1500 EM doing ~2500 swirl damage

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Its weird because swirl ends up being extremely good because Venerer exists. Its just why is all the power for swirl in the artifact set?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They're upgrading em for kazuha

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's not very meaningful:

These reactions are so bad that even doubling their damage won't do anything. Better than nothing but it just doesn't mean much. Allegedly the scaling post-60 is supposed to be increased too but I haven't seen any leaks related to that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No Wave posted:

It's not very meaningful:

These reactions are so bad that even doubling their damage won't do anything. Better than nothing but it just doesn't mean much. Allegedly the scaling post-60 is supposed to be increased too but I haven't seen any leaks related to that.

Honestly I would say that the leaks related to the scaling probably matter way more than the boost to EM. Like, sure it'd be nice if EM wasn't a terrible waste of a stat outside of Vape and Melt, but it's the base damage that matters. A buff to EM is secondary, not the main dish.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 25, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glazius posted:

Seriously though, if you're getting the rainbow (intertwined) fates in decent newbie amounts, the current character banner is pretty good in terms of interesting 4-stars. Beidou has a unique mechanic rewarding precision timing on her counterattack (or, more often, sitting in a grassfire), Xinyan has a shield that rewards good positioning with pyrotechnics that set grassfires, and Xingqiu has one of the best support bursts in the game.

Since I’m pretty new, do I just get some intertwined fates as I progress the story, or are there things I should be doing to get them? (Or do you just get a good amount of primogems through story progression to buy intertwined fates with?)

Also: should I avoid spending primogems on the standard banner and mostly pull on the limited one?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Harrow posted:

Since I’m pretty new, do I just get some intertwined fates as I progress the story, or are there things I should be doing to get them? (Or do you just get a good amount of primogems through story progression to buy intertwined fates with?)

Also: should I avoid spending primogems on the standard banner and mostly pull on the limited one?

You will generally get a few fates every now and then at big milestones but you will really be given primogems by doing quests, find treasure, daily's, events, etc. There is always a small drip of primogems to keep you going and playing while nudging you to spend real money to get more.

Generally you want to save primogems for the limited banner since it gives you a better idea of what you're going to get. When you roll on the standard banner you are rolling for a chance for EVERYTHING (weapons and characters). If you go to the banner and click on details you can actually see the odds for each pull and its all over the place with the Standard Banner.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Harrow posted:

You get some standard-banner fates from the battlepass and from boosting your adventure rank.

Primogems are for spending on the limited banner.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I got the 4* bow Rust last night in a gacha roll and I can't tell if it's any good or not. It boosts non charged damage by like 40% but it also drops charged damage by 10%. Should I be using the regular attack on bow characters? I've mostly been trying for charged aimed shots.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
It's a solid choice for Childe, as it boosts the damage of his melee stance.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

SlimGoodbody posted:

I got the 4* bow Rust last night in a gacha roll and I can't tell if it's any good or not. It boosts non charged damage by like 40% but it also drops charged damage by 10%. Should I be using the regular attack on bow characters? I've mostly been trying for charged aimed shots.

Fischl can kinda use it alright if you lean in on her as a main attacker. It’s not exactly “actually good”, though, since she also likes Stringless to boost all her Oz damage.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I had Rust on my Physchl for a long time and if you lean into Atk%, CR and CritDMG with either a PhysDMG or Atk% cup, she's a hell of a machine gun. You'll have to beef up her attack talent too but once you couple her with someone with Cryo and she pops Oz, she'll do some nice damage with Rust.

That said, only do that if you already have her leveled up well and really want some use out of the Rust.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I would bet that charged shots are a DPS loss outside of Ganyu specifically for archers because the time spent taking to charge up a shot gives you less damage than just spamming normal attacks over time. The situations in which you do want a charge shot are for applying an element, hitting a weakspot for a specific effect (mostly stunning/knocking down enemies), or actual sniping from a long range to start an encounter.

That last one is a decent reason to not use Rust early game, but if you want to build an archer as a carry then Rust is not a bad option (except Ganyu). Other decent early game bows for sniping from a distance to start a fight are Messenger and Sharpshooter's Oath.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I probably should have went with Xinyan rather than Noelle for the Shield trial, but I thought c6 Noelle was supposed to be strong. But her damage was pretty small compared to how much I could burst with Mona and Keqing in these trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

It's good on Childe, good on Fischl if you use her in a left click build (which generally is worse than 5* left click options). It's not terrible even on support Fischl and compared to other 4*s is only worse than V Hunt (which costs money), Blackcliff (which costs starglitter), and R2+ Stringless (though the EM changes might make stringless significantly better even at R1).