Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

StormDrain posted:

On the other side, I've used the trimmer on a fence, edged the lawn, and cut in around the planters every week for a month with the electric and I haven't had to recharge the 2.5ah battery yet.

I also like how I push button and it go vroom.

Looking forward to trying the power winder function.

haha electric yard tool go brrrrrrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

KakerMix posted:

We've had an electric push-mower (the same one) for 7 years now and here is the things I've done to it:
Sharpened the blade once
Bought a new battery

Absolutely nothing else. Pull it out, slap a couple batteries in it off the charger, mow for 30-40 minutes, bust out the uses-the-same-batteries trimmer and blower. I can't think of a way this could possibly be any easier. Electric mowers own so freaking hard.

I think most of us that still have gas powered mowers still do because they're waiting for an opportunity to turbo them, or engine swap, Nitrous etc.

Advent Horizon posted:

We got rid of most grass and just use a cordless weed whacker - which takes the same batteries as the chainsaw, impact wrench, drill, router, magic wand, palm sander, and leaf blower.

Battery powered Magic wand eh? Where can I find one of those? Asking for a friend :wink:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They call them vibratory tools

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Anything’s a dildo if you’re brave enough.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
We've got just under a third of an acre, and the day this old 6.5hp Kohler/Lawn Boy mower dies I'll be going electric. I've already got a nice Makita 18v brushless string trimmer, and next is a 36v leaf blower kit to add to my battery collection. Though I can usually trim and edge the yard 3 times on a 5ah battery, so maybe getting 4 more batteries and a blower is overkill?

As an added bonus, an electric mower would let me mow at 7am on a weekend and not feel like an rear end in a top hat. Then I could be done before the kid is awake and want to spend the whole day playing.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I can’t vouch for the mowers but all my electric yard tools are still loud enough to require hearing protection.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Advent Horizon posted:

I can’t vouch for the mowers but all my electric yard tools are still loud enough to require hearing protection.

I may have lost some hearing but I don't think my trimmer does. The mower is way quieter and I am able to use in ear headphones (the kind with rubber bits that seal) and listen to a podcast.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

edit: that begs the question: has anyone yet made a practical BEV tractor?

Paging Slung Blade.......paging Slung Blade.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Man, I totally forgot how much better freshly bled brakes feel.

I had to replace number 2 from this diagram on my e34 because one of them was wet with brake fluid, and when I got it apart it felt like Nickelodeon Gak. Threw the new ones on there and power bled it using a cap from a bottle of vitamins which happened to be 45mm. At first I thought I hosed up somehow and got a huge air bubble because the brake pedal felt so smooth afterwards.

For anyone not familiar with V8 e34s, afaik they hold the passenger car record for furthest distance between foot and master cylinder.

Yes, it is all the way up behind the driver's headlight, connected with a few foot long cast bracket and some pivoting rods and poo poo.

E: Almost forgot to ask. Underneath one of those bushings was something that looked like the flame arrestor from a bottle of 151; a coin sized piece of metal with some divots and bumps and holes in it. Anyone have any idea what the purpose of that would be?

Here's a lovely mspaint.

The green spots are holes, the red spots are raised, and the blue spots are divots. Almost seems like some kind of restrictor or flow smoother, but it looked pretty weird, was in an odd spot, and I can't say I've seen anything like it.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 25, 2021

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Suburban Dad posted:

Lawn mower chat. I had never messed with a carb at all before today. Mower wouldn't start so I took it apart and cleaned it, after arming myself with a youtube guide or two. Found no gunk or sign of anything wrong, and put it back together and it ran fine. I am a magician. :tinfoil:
Opened the 95s carb yesterday and i think i got your gunk.

What that is even? Pulled it out of the car like year ago and it has just been standing in shelf.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Lowclock posted:

Here's a lovely mspaint.

The green spots are holes, the red spots are raised, and the blue spots are divots. Almost seems like some kind of restrictor or flow smoother, but it looked pretty weird, was in an odd spot, and I can't say I've seen anything like it.

I must be colourblind because i'm not seeing it :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Captain Kosmos posted:

What that is even? Pulled it out of the car like year ago and it has just been standing in shelf.

Looks like good old oxides of aluminum to me

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Captain Kosmos posted:

That's corrosion caused by ethanol fuel/water in the fuel.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I hate that I'm now the middle aged creep looking for ethanol free gas for my older car. In the 80s I woulda been the dork that knows the location of every leaded gas pump in the county

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Motronic posted:

That's corrosion caused by ethanol fuel/water in the fuel.

Panty Saluter posted:

Looks like good old oxides of aluminum to me

Thought something like that. Part of it looked like some bug had made a nest in there.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Captain Kosmos posted:

Thought something like that. Part of it looked like some bug had made a nest in there.

If it sat for a long time with fuel in it, make sure the float isn't full of fuel. They can leak and sink. I have seen this happen.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Darchangel posted:

edit: that begs the question: has anyone yet made a practical BEV tractor?

This company has a traditional looking 30hp compact electric tractor out now that takes category 1 3-point pto and hydraulic implements: https://solectrac.com/cet-electric-tractor

They're also coming out with this amazing looking thing at the end of this year with 3! attachment points but no hydraulics: https://solectrac.com/efarmer-electric-tractor

John Deere and Kubota have both announced they're going to make e Tractors but I haven't seen a timeline yet.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Mustache Ride posted:

This company has a traditional looking 30hp compact electric tractor out now that takes category 1 3-point pto and hydraulic implements: https://solectrac.com/cet-electric-tractor

They're also coming out with this amazing looking thing at the end of this year with 3! attachment points but no hydraulics: https://solectrac.com/efarmer-electric-tractor

John Deere and Kubota have both announced they're going to make e Tractors but I haven't seen a timeline yet.

Slung Blade's friend converted an old tractor to electric and it always won low speed contests, torque contests, etc. at fairs. Really made the old timers angry. I know it had a bunch of lead acid batteries, otherwise don't remember the details.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

I hate that I'm now the middle aged creep looking for ethanol free gas for my older car. In the 80s I woulda been the dork that knows the location of every leaded gas pump in the county

It’s not hard to find…

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-110-oz-4-Cycle-Ethanol-Free-Fuel-6527206/205913140

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I use the 2stroke version in all my small equipment. I use them infrequently enough it's cheaper than loving around with crapped up carburetors.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

For a mere $23.23 / gallon! :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I have multiple pumps near me that dispense ethanol free for only a little more than E10 :smuggo:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mustache Ride posted:

Knowing John Deere they'll try to make it so you have to take it to a dealer to swap the battery out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Knowing John Deere they'll try to make it so you have to take it to a dealer to swap the battery out.

Obviously, because if anyone other than a factory certified repair technician touches the batteries it could impact the safety and performance of the machine. :jerkbag:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Special Deere charger, phones home verifying you have enough charges left.

At least a few states are taking them on amongst others.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Advent Horizon posted:

My neighbor across the street has one of those $2000 Husqvarna electric robot mowers that runs around the yard every couple days. It's quiet enough that I can't even hear it from across the street. So either my hearing is terrible from years of concerts and auto shops, or they really are that quiet!

My string trimmer makes more noise from the sound of the string cutting grass than it does from just running the motor, and significantly less noise than my dad's gas trimmer. I do wear earplugs whenever I run it anyway, just because I've usually just finished running the mower.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

PitViper posted:

My neighbor across the street has one of those $2000 Husqvarna electric robot mowers

How does their lawn look?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My dad had one of the first models of those things available in the US. It was a novelty at the time, could mow 1/3 of the lawn on a charge.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

taqueso posted:

In rare cases of slight programming malfunction it looks like this

https://youtu.be/xtfw6iP4Sw0

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

taqueso posted:

I feel like you don't care how your lawn looks if you hire a robot to do it.
That said, probably better than me on my 65 year old lawn tractor with more steering play than a TTB ford

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I figured it'd be a mix of people who don't care and people who really really care.

e: I'm assuming it is quite a bit smarter than a roomba which maybe isn't the case

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

On the other side, I've used the trimmer on a fence, edged the lawn, and cut in around the planters every week for a month with the electric and I haven't had to recharge the 2.5ah battery yet.

I also like how I push button and it go vroom.

Looking forward to trying the power winder function.

My Ryobi One+ single line trimmer can do my whole yard trimming and edging on one 3.0 Ah battery, which is all I ask.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Motronic posted:

Obviously, because if anyone other than a factory certified repair technician touches the batteries it could impact the safety and performance of the machine. :jerkbag:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Special Deere charger, phones home verifying you have enough charges left.

At least a few states are taking them on amongst others.

Since when did Apple, and Ferrari take over John Deere?
I mean Ferrari is obvious, trying to compete with Lamborghini, but Apple too?

PitViper posted:

My neighbor across the street has one of those $2000 Husqvarna electric robot mowers that runs around the yard every couple days.

Hack that poo poo and make it do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1anW87oZVYE

Bonus points if it actually has a speaker.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 26, 2021

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

taqueso posted:

I mean.... It's pretty much always well-trimmed. The mower does it in chunks based on how long it goes between charges, but it can basically mow whenever. So his grass is always trimmed pretty much the same height, and it seems like it cuts as well as my gas mower does. The most I see him doing is going around with a string trimmer once a week or so, since the robomower doesn't get right up on the edging or around trees.

It also mows in some pretty random patterns, so it's not like it runs the same pattern day after day. It also mows in the rain, unless (I assume) you tell it not to run that day.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PitViper posted:

I mean.... It's pretty much always well-trimmed. The mower does it in chunks based on how long it goes between charges, but it can basically mow whenever. So his grass is always trimmed pretty much the same height, and it seems like it cuts as well as my gas mower does. The most I see him doing is going around with a string trimmer once a week or so, since the robomower doesn't get right up on the edging or around trees.

It also mows in some pretty random patterns, so it's not like it runs the same pattern day after day. It also mows in the rain, unless (I assume) you tell it not to run that day.

So to me that means it just looks like poo poo. Evenly cut poo poo, but.....yeah. Random patterns aren't what I'd expect and if you have decent law it's gonna show that.

Although I looked at them and lol none are rated to do as much grass as I have (and am actively working to reduce).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah, it doesn't sound great. Using a random cut direction every time you cut is good for the turf, but that isn't just totally random like a roomba. It should be configurable. Hell, special patterns should be easy with a robot mower. And I would expect a feature like not cutting wet grass to be part of the bare minimum package. Maybe the future is robot goats not robots mowers.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 26, 2021

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

chrisgt posted:

If it sat for a long time with fuel in it, make sure the float isn't full of fuel. They can leak and sink. I have seen this happen.

They are empty and looks like theres no holes or anything. I guess its ok overall? Just really dirty, abused and the linkage is so-so.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Motronic posted:

So to me that means it just looks like poo poo. Evenly cut poo poo, but.....yeah. Random patterns aren't what I'd expect and if you have decent law it's gonna show that.

Although I looked at them and lol none are rated to do as much grass as I have (and am actively working to reduce).

I just cut my grass, man. I don't give two shits about it looking good by bothering with stripes or whatever, lawns are just an extra, boring loving chore that takes up time when you could be doing something else you'd actually want to do. I'm assuming this guy feels the same hence robomower.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Captain Kosmos posted:

They are empty and looks like theres no holes or anything. I guess its ok overall? Just really dirty, abused and the linkage is so-so.

The fuel seems to leak in through cracks in the solder joint between the two halves, not holes. If you like to live extremely danger, you can torch them apart and solder the float back together again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I just cut my grass, man. I don't give two shits about it looking good by bothering with stripes or whatever, lawns are just an extra, boring loving chore that takes up time when you could be doing something else you'd actually want to do. I'm assuming this guy feels the same hence robomower.

Amen