Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

loving lmao how long did he last, 2 months?

Less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

WWE rules

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

coconono posted:

I bet that dude and Mike Adamle could call the gently caress out of a match if they didn't have some grumpy rear end in a top hat feeding them nonsense the entire time.
Adamle had it so much worse since he was in the early stages of CTE-induced dementia

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1397238647787769861

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Virk was great at ESPN so I'd maintain this is absolutely a WWE-rear end thing

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Most profitable year in company history

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
"Terra Ryzing is All Elite"

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I get the feeling this is more Khan trying to centralize power than cuts to keep Stockholders happy

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Virk was bad but I dunno if you can expect anyone to just be thrown in and do well without training. Like put him on 205 first

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Virk was an on air guy for the same Canadian sports channel that Renee Paquette worked for, I wouldn't put it past WWE to just assume he'd be just as good.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I've worked in failing companies before, and crossing from "upper admin have never been happier/underlings are miserable" to "both upper admin and underlings are miserable" was usually the sign that the company was about to go tits up, but WWE has created this paradigm even though it's astonishingly profitable.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Ew. Just ew. “It was not me that sent dick pics and came on to young boys but kayfabe - also lemme doxx the people that outed me and I love Jesus.” So his next character is confirmed to be Kevin Spacey cosplay? A Republican politician? I’m a fairly laid back guy but gently caress you Dream.
Sanity, EC3, Kairi Sane, Alestair Black, All the 205 exiles, KeIth Lee, AoPee... the
list of the wasted just goes on and on. Just remember that Gran Metallik, Shinsuke Nakamura, Akira Tozawa, PAC, KUSHIDA and Ricochet were all regarded as world class athletes and can’t miss before they got WWE’d.

Jesus, I forgot they were wasting Kushida.

D.N. Nation posted:

How can you justify Baszler/Jax vs. Nattie/Tamina for the 3,472th time in the main event of the show? How can you possibly think that gets eyeballs?

Alvarez et al like to whip out 2000 WCW comparisons like they're going out of style, but this is pure bottom-barrel New Generation 1995 poo poo. Same 8 or so people all the time, with nothing to do, with bad, unlikeable gimmicks, and someone's doing magic. This is KOTR Winner Mabel levels of unwatchable.

1995 WWF had good workers and good matches, though (Razor, Bret, Owen, Shawn, etc.).

I'm dying. What a shitshow of a company.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
More like, Outof Virk

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE really feels like an unholy combination of being a "wrasslin" company run by a promoter but also a modern publicly traded company. Both can be awful to work for, but combined together seems like just next level horrid

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Red posted:

Jesus, I forgot they were wasting Kushida.
1995 WWF had good workers and good matches, though (Razor, Bret, Owen, Shawn, etc.).
I'm dying. What a shitshow of a company.

WWE has one of the best rosters in the history of wrestling. It's not like 2019 where they had probably the best roster ever top to bottom in wrestling history, but its still insane how many good workers they have and yes good natches. That they have this and are a shitshow is exactly why its New Generation level shittiness.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mactheknife posted:

all these people come into WWE and fail despite their reputation, whether wrestlers or announcers or writers. probably just a coincidence

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They tried the Virk thing, it didn’t work, they ended it. It’s honestly the first time in a while WWE has been honest with itself and not just shoved something down our throats way past expiration just to pretend they were right all along.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

mactheknife posted:

I'll preface by noting I don't watch Raw. But I did watch the last PPV and Virk was doing his homework to have anecdotes about performers and big move names down. Seemed like he was trying his best. You could tell when Vince would yell at him because he would just go quiet on commentary.

And for fucks sake, it has to be near impossible trying to call action you're not familiar with while a voice in your headset is constantly giving you directions.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

God drat i love wwe

bartok
May 10, 2006

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Adamle had it so much worse since he was in the early stages of CTE-induced dementia

That's a bummer. I've been watching old episodes of American Gladiators on Pluto TV and he does a good job as co-host.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bartok posted:

That's a bummer. I've been watching old episodes of American Gladiators on Pluto TV and he does a good job as co-host.

legit Mike Adamle was too good for this pissant company

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I wonder how often someone is talking into a regular broadcaster's ear during a play. I know they have a guy feeding them stats and poo poo but I highly doubt a director is yelling at Al Michaels during a call, right?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

They tried the Virk thing, it didn’t work, they ended it. It’s honestly the first time in a while WWE has been honest with itself and not just shoved something down our throats way past expiration just to pretend they were right all along.

Even though they don't do this with wrestlers, they do this with office/announce staff pretty regularly, even public-facing people. How long did Bischoff last in this last stint again?

Virk might've been fine if they started him on the smaller shows that no one watches but they threw him right onto Raw and set him up for failure. Who knows if he'd ever be good but at least they could give him a shot to learn.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It's weird, WWE usually backs their second generation talent way too long, I mean look at Tamina as the best example. You'd think General Adnan's kid could at least stay on commentary for a quarter.

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

I'll preface by noting I don't watch Raw. But I did watch the last PPV and Virk was doing his homework to have anecdotes about performers and big move names down. Seemed like he was trying his best. You could tell when Vince would yell at him because he would just go quiet on commentary.

And for fucks sake, it has to be near impossible trying to call action you're not familiar with while a voice in your headset is constantly giving you directions.

also none of the characters have coherent stories, so you can't really tell the types of stories you would in real sports. you have to commit to just saying whatever is in vince's head

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Virk got to hook up with his old agent to steal a few paychecks from Vince, gotta respect the hustle

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lid posted:

WWE has one of the best rosters in the history of wrestling. It's not like 2019 where they had probably the best roster ever top to bottom in wrestling history, but its still insane how many good workers they have and yes good natches. That they have this and are a shitshow is exactly why its New Generation level shittiness.

Is it? Everybody is really old, Bryan just left, and I'm pretty sure Nia Jax is still on TV constantly.

Looking at the Raw results, I see "Jaxson Ryker" wrestled, so I'm skeptical.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I wonder if it was Virk who walked. Not like WWE gives a poo poo about the fans or bad commentary and the man's had a career in commentating where he doesn't have to put up with some demented old carny screaming in his ear, so maybe he figured that he could get a better job elsewhere?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Why anyone willingly works for WWE is beyond me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Red posted:

Is it? Everybody is really old, Bryan just left, and I'm pretty sure Nia Jax is still on TV constantly.

Looking at the Raw results, I see "Jaxson Ryker" wrestled, so I'm skeptical.

Having a great roster and using it are two different things. It might be more accurate to say that they have the best roster playing on their phones in catering.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/MichaelRyanRuiz/status/1397256574888972294

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Invalid Validation posted:

Why does Cena have a weirdo obsession with China?

He makes a lot of loving money when they go see his movies. Especially right now, with China's brutally aggressive crackdown on Covid last year meaning that China is one of the very few countries in the world where you've been able to go to a pre-covid style movie theater all this time

The best my local movie theater can do is sell you a voucher for $7 that allows you to watch a movie on your computer. lol nah I'm good thanks

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Shayna Baszler posted:

More like, Outof Virk

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I've seen 5 movies in the past two weeks and three of the theaters I have been by myself.

Movie theaters are going to go extinct everywhere but china. You will have to buy a ticket to mainland china to watch fast and furious 10 and Hobbs and shaw 2

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Adnan wasnt getting better and he probably knew the show he was calling was a loving joke, the man is a legitimate sportscaster for God's sake.

This is definitely Khan trying to centralize power and in the midst of it, he probably cut his buddy a nice little severance check.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Feels like you can make a great argument that WWE no longer has the best roster in America

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
they're there, just out of frame, wrestling in catering or 205

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I wonder how often someone is talking into a regular broadcaster's ear during a play. I know they have a guy feeding them stats and poo poo but I highly doubt a director is yelling at Al Michaels during a call, right?

From what I understand they will feed stats and tell them what to point out on replays but they aren't telling people to yell "TEBOW TIME!" during the play

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Alexander Hamilton posted:

So, you've got the producer in your ear (usually noting how much time you've got for breaks and when to hit your advertising/whatever else needs to be hit by your broadcast) and whoever is running the stats table, who will pull interesting stats and notes for the game as it is happening for the chyron operator and the desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okkult
Oct 10, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Feels like you can make a great argument that WWE no longer has the best roster in America

If wrestlers are employed, but spend all their time in catering, can they really be said to be on the roster?