Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Any suggestions on a good spot to put my first real base + scan room in BZ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bishop Beo posted:

I put mine on the ledge above the drop to where you get the "pilot last known location" breadcrumb. Seems like a good amount of resources, fairly safe area, close to a lot of places.

What I can NOT find is the freakin' high capacity tank. I have the blueprint for the ultra tank. I looked up a video and it's like, "from your survival pod, go exactly this heading for 320 meters and find this bit of terrain" and there's NOTHING like that, it doesn't match at all, so I don't know wtf. So I probably need to tear my scanner down and rebuild it back near the start and just clear out any and all fragments and data boxes.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Bishop Beo posted:

Somewhere near the delta base island. There's easy access to thermal power and their multiple biomes and all their resources. And Twisty is also a nice view.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Bishop Beo posted:

Twisty bridges is pretty great since it has lead, gold, silver, diamonds and rubies in the deep part, and is next to purple vents for lithium.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Twisty bridges isn’t great if you want to make a large base, the “bridges” often get in the way.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
I've really enjoyed SubZero so far, but I feel like it's been way easier to miss blueprints this time around. I have lots and of the high end tech unlocked, but I still haven't unlocked a basic propulsion cannon.

Where is the drat thing?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

BitterAvatar posted:

I've really enjoyed SubZero so far, but I feel like it's been way easier to miss blueprints this time around. I have lots and of the high end tech unlocked, but I still haven't unlocked a basic propulsion cannon.

Where is the drat thing?

In caves under the kelp forests, same place as all the root pustules. You don't need it for anything in BZ though, there's never a need to clear debris like getting into the Aurora in the first one.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Oasx posted:

Twisty bridges isn’t great if you want to make a large base, the “bridges” often get in the way.

It's also not far enough from the drop pod, you're spending a lot of time commuting to other biomes. I put mine on the far edge of Delta island, straddling 2 other zones but close enough to get thermal power. Then I discovered nuclear and power was never a concern again, its crazy how I never even went through a single rod out of the six I found.

quote:

Agreed. Above ground and below there was a real lack of recognizable landmarks. By the end the edges of my screen were filled with beacon markers. For a lot of places I just resorted to maze logic where I hugged a wall and went clockwise or counterclockwise, and that worked pretty well for getting through the crystal caverns.

I think the vent garden was my favorite part of the game, and it worked great as a cool landmark too.

Yes, I could not agree more. I found so many places once and then had to look up coordinates to find them a second time. The biomes themselves are much nicer to look at but the design is very maze-like so you end up chasing your tail for an hour. Towards the end of the game I found several alternative entrances to areas entirely by accident. I never completed the propulsion cannon fragment either.

I really enjoyed Below Zero but it was definitely a two steps forward, one step back expansion. It's a shame they aren't doing a full on sequel any time soon.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

BitterAvatar posted:

Where is the drat thing?

I had the same problem. The good news is that you don't ever need it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The removal of the repulsion gun modification means being at 1/2 propulsion gun progress feels like :effort: for me to even give a poo poo about scrounging around the designated areas again to make it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’m far enough into BZ having found no evidence of its existence that I assumed it was just removed. Is the stasis rifle also still in? I haven’t found anything for it either, and wish I had since it’s the only way I know how to scan leviathans

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I’m far enough into BZ having found no evidence of its existence that I assumed it was just removed. Is the stasis rifle also still in? I haven’t found anything for it either, and wish I had since it’s the only way I know how to scan leviathans

Finished the game, visited every biome, havent seen any fragments.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The stasis gun is also on the wiki list of Cut Content, so it seems a safe bet they removed both of the actually practical personal protection sci-fi tools.

They also apparently removed the ability to make your own medkit dispensers, on that note? Accomplishing nothing but padding by adding more UI clicks as you hand harvest your creepvine gardens for materials instead if you need to stockpile more on your own terms.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 25, 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Stasis gun is gone, I think the only ways to scan leviathans now are killing them and scanning the corpse or bringing enough health packs with you that you can tank the hits repeatedly. Strange decision from the devs to get rid of it without adding any sort of replacement.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I scanned it by repeatedly dying.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How do you kill them? Prawn drill arms and frequent repairs?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I didn't bother. You get a free shock module that gets rid of them instantly. If you're quick enough they do no damage at all. So it's not worth the effort imho.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Seatruck with boost and shock modules is basically the most powerful weapon in this game. It's easy to scan leviathans when they're dead

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

uXs posted:

I didn't bother. You get a free shock module that gets rid of them instantly. If you're quick enough they do no damage at all. So it's not worth the effort imho.

Well yes but in this discussion killing them serves the purpose of making them easy to scan without being a tasty snack.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Download the sea truck speed and armor mods and then unleash the true form of Bonkbote.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven’t found any armor mod but I have been using the choo choo train to roadkill brute sharks and those screamy fuckers for most of the game, so I’m not surprised to hear that it scales up to the bigger boys too

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm curious if most of you play with eating and drinking requirements or in freedom mode without the survival nonsense?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I play with eating and drinking on because it makes the early game a bit more interesting. Once you get non-fish sources of food and water later it almost becomes a non-issue.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I haven’t found any armor mod but I have been using the choo choo train to roadkill brute sharks and those screamy fuckers for most of the game, so I’m not surprised to hear that it scales up to the bigger boys too

No, no, those are user mods from Nexus, they're not vanilla unfortunately. The devs would never introduce such a powerful weapon.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
I have been playing on Survival mode, and will tend to keep a standard "load out" inventory. A med-kit, a food bar, a dried fish, two water bottles, two batteries, and a power cell. This is on top of all the typical equipment I always keep on hand no matter what.

This after a while just means I have less inventory space to hoard up supplies as I see them. Not that it's a hinderance, but it's a style of gameplay that the game wants you to feel like you're going out on an expedition well supplied.

If that doesn't sound like fun to you, then don't play with hunger/thirst. They're just countdown timers before you need to click another button.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I'm personally big on inventory space.
Anything that takes up space that becomes moot later is better off out to begin with.
But thats me.
As always, play how you want to play.

If I can, I always tend to mod in even more inventory.
Such are the glory of mods in games.
Making life better for everyone.
Lets just hope we dont see Seamonkies with anime boobs.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Reveilled posted:

You might have missed it, but when you visited the thing causing the crashes and found out about your infection, you should have had a log called Alien Facility Locations added to your PDA. That gives you your next objectives.

Here's the text, just on the offchance it bugged.
So you're looking for A disease research facility in a cave system filled with fossils, about 800m down.

Oh poo poo thanks. I'll double check this. Part of my problem is I play on a 32" tv across the room from a couch, so if I get a bunch of pda data I go huh well I'll deal with this later when I can go sit close to the tv and read it all.

I was bemused getting the prawn, then the cyclops engine (thanks to YouTube showing me a spot 900m away from the spawn , I never would have ventured back by the other spot for to scan them) and was hitting up random deeper spots to grab materials. So it's good to have a goal now.

Also it is such a dick move to destroy the scanner upgrades if you so much as tap deconstruct on the room

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a way to do some like, measurements on the Alterra map you get? I'm trying to figure out exactly where Omega is, and you can sorta figure it out by looking at the map, but I really don't wanna break out Paint or a ruler or something.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's exactly smack dab where it says it is. Omega's just hidden in a cunning way, is all. It's less about x/y/z coordinates and more about keeping your eyes peeled for cues.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well that helps, at least. I'll take another look.

I'm exploring the northwest part of the map right now. Everything about it suggests you need to use the Snowfox, and yet there's Prawn deposits everywhere. What the gently caress is the Snowfox for?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pollyanna posted:

Well that helps, at least. I'll take another look.

I'm exploring the northwest part of the map right now. Everything about it suggests you need to use the Snowfox, and yet there's Prawn deposits everywhere. What the gently caress is the Snowfox for?

Nothing, it's trash.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So I patched up to 1.0 and am finally gonna finish my BZ run. I'm 99% sure I'm in the right place to find the kharaa cure Sam was making, in the circled penglin cave with Alterra science equipment in it, but all I got was a PDA update with some gossip. Am I in the right place for the plot thingie, might be a bug upgrading save to 1.0?

(I also elsewhere found a jump module for the snowfox, and looked at it with disgust. It might be good, but I'm not gonna make a second fox to find out.)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I finished the northwest part of the map and wow, yeah no that was dire. Possibly the worst part of the game so far.

Subnautica is really bad when it's not about being underwater.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well it’s not called Surnautica

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

drat I should have fussed with sea truck modules way sooner. The silly thing makes way more sense now with a sleeper, storage, and docking module. I admit this has far more raw utility than the Cyclops but it's also nowhere near as cool and fun. Oh well, it is a clever solution to all the complaints folks had about the Cyclops.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Serephina posted:

So I patched up to 1.0 and am finally gonna finish my BZ run. I'm 99% sure I'm in the right place to find the kharaa cure Sam was making, in the circled penglin cave with Alterra science equipment in it, but all I got was a PDA update with some gossip. Am I in the right place for the plot thingie, might be a bug upgrading save to 1.0?

Right general area, wrong pengling cave. I got confused for a while and thought that was a bug as well.

quote:

(I also elsewhere found a jump module for the snowfox, and looked at it with disgust. It might be good, but I'm not gonna make a second fox to find out.)

It doesn't make the snowfox any less useless.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Pollyanna posted:

Unless you need the resources then the snowfox is a lot better for the whole area, the prawn gets hit by the worm a lot more and takes longer to repair.
I actually don’t mind the snowfox, and I think the controls are fine, the problem is the design of the northern and southern biome.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

having finished beyond zero, i don't think it was very good at all.

the world was not very interesting. none of the new biomes were all that great, i kinda liked the area with the giant jellyfish things you could swim inside of but that was it.

the story felt totally incomplete and kinda baffling. and like, why the gently caress is marguerit just loving dropped unceremoniously from the plot? i know the game went through a rewrite, and i can only assume her complete irrelevance past a certain point is directly caused by that

the above ground stuff was just dire and the snowfox is legit one of the worst goddamn vehicles in any game i've ever played, good GOD i hated every loving second with that thing. the snow spires was just confusing in the worst possible way because everything looked the same and it was just like 4 gigantic areas connected by corridors, it was so easy to get lost there. and having to dodge the main enemy there was not fun, or felt dangerous, it was tedious.

the seatruck was fine, i guess, but i didn't like it nearly as much as either the cyclops or seamoth. i never even built the prawn suit.

all the new creatures were meh. the one big bad leviathan found deep down looked neat, but it and the other new leviathans are just not a threat at all and once i realized that, i totally stopped caring about even being careful around them. i never died once the entire playthough or came anywhere close to losing the seatruck.

it at least was a hell of a lot more stable than the original, i got two crashes but that was it. other than that, i was really, really let down by beyond zero. it underwhelmed at every turn.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 26, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Right general area, wrong pengling cave. I got confused for a while and thought that was a bug as well.
It doesn't make the snowfox any less useless.

Whoops! Found it, thanks. I suppose that map is low enough on fidelity that you can read it a few different ways. Anyways,

End game was sooooo janky. I walked into a plot cave for the first time, had voiceover lines asking "Why would Sam do this? This is so unlike her, what was she trying to do?!" except of course I know all of that, this is literally my last stop that I've been avoiding since it was above ground. Also ALAN still giving lines to me despite not being in my head anymore. About 30 seconds later I get the line "Well, we have avenged Sam and done everything she was trying to do" lol ok. Final ending sequence was heavily bugged, with a teleporter not spawning (had to google wtf was going on), my character using the "Sam plotline uncompleted" voice lines, and the final in-game cinematic missing many models. Yikes... just yikes.

Verdict: Makes me want to play the first game again, maybe if they patch a few base building thingies back into it. Very average, weaker than first title in most areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I tend to agree, the last third of this game is kind of a boring slog and I just resorted to the console to get things over with.

I also got the wrong dialogue in the ending, despite resolving Sam's plotline.

If they continued the narrative where the ending left off and changed up a bunch of things, they could have a very cool sequel on their hands though.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 26, 2021