Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Folding screens are dumb, dual rolling screens from the middle out, now were talking.

https://i.imgur.com/SLEmj7t.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Perplx posted:

Folding screens are dumb, dual rolling screens from the middle out, now were talking.

would

honestly i know im a dumb nerd but i still kind of want a large curved wrist mounted sort of thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Perplx posted:

Why did they make the visualizer that hard-to-read translucent hologram instead of a false color shaded image like an anatomy textbook?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
because the people working in vfx design are generally not ux experts

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

right, it wouldn’t look as cool in a space ship future movie

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mediaphage posted:

would

honestly i know im a dumb nerd but i still kind of want a large curved wrist mounted sort of thing

surprise, samsung had you covered 7 years ago

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

surprise, samsung had you covered 7 years ago

yeah that was just a watch - and a samsung watch from seven years ago, i mean, lol - not something with a display that was ever usable for much more than time and some notifications. their curved fitness trackers / glorified step counters were pretty cool, though.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mediaphage posted:

yeah that was just a watch - and a samsung watch from seven years ago, i mean, lol - not something with a display that was ever usable for much more than time and some notifications. their curved fitness trackers / glorified step counters were pretty cool, though.

it had a sim slot and could make calls, send texts, etc without needing to be associated with a phone! i mean, it still sucked because lol of course it did

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

it had a sim slot and could make calls, send texts, etc without needing to be associated with a phone! i mean, it still sucked because lol of course it did

i didn’t remember the sim slot. i’m all for devices having their own data connections but still. lol.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
fuchsia os has been released on an actual Google product. begin countdown to its cancellation.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao. released only on a nearly depreciated "nest" brand product

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

things are really looking good for fuchsia

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

things are really looking good for fuchsia
aka "google copland"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the real question is, have they made it a chat client yet?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
google copeland

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fuscia started as basically their hedge in case they lost the oracle case, right?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lot of renewed noise about fuchsia. prepare for google to go from android pretty much being the smartphone windows 95 to a proper google product where they randomly eol half the core features without warning.
fuchsia will never ship anything, it is a comedy os.

The Management posted:

fuchsia os has been released on an actual Google product. begin countdown to its cancellation.

:smug:

(not that there is a practical difference in how this'll work out)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my money was on never shipping, so I lost that bet. but it remains a comedy os, I’m fairly convinced that will be evident shortly.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

lmao. released only on a nearly depreciated "nest" brand product

replacing the os on an older machine that's out there with a brand new one, while keeping the exact same UI thanks to flutter, seems like a good way to start out. :shrug:

imo fuchsia won't get traction outside of stuff like this from google (i would be surprised if this ever landed in a smartphone. and if it does, that any OEM would touch it since Android already exists.), but flutter is showing its value proposition here very well, and that will long outlast fuchsia.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i can't wait until every application looks and works completely identical across all operating systems, but completely different from every other application in the world

the ultimate victory of the marketing department over ux

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

i can't wait until every application looks and works completely identical across all operating systems, but completely different from every other application in the world

the ultimate victory of the marketing department over ux

working on Xamarin.Forms, before flutter, there were debates as to if there should be more push to have apps look and act exactly the same across the platforms (Like, use Skia to handle drawing all UI), or if we should use the native elements of the platforms as much as possible so it would act like any other app and "fit in".

they went with the latter, and as flutter's continued growth shows, they were very very wrong.

(Xamarin.Forms sucks for other reasons too but that's a topic for another thread)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The real test will be if fuschia is actually shipped by a non-google product. There'll be some real traction at that rate.

I wonder if it will be yet another IoT operating system.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/25/google_fuchsia_lands_on_nest/

Also, they are moving the net code from go to rust. I'm surprised that they used go in the first place.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

what the gently caress the android Onedrive client ignores the folder you put pictures in and just spews everything into "camera roll" this is garbage

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

what the gently caress the android Onedrive client ignores the folder you put pictures in and just spews everything into "camera roll" this is garbage

android + microsoft, a match made in heaven

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao google and samsung have decided to merge WearOS and tizen for smart watches

oh well maybe this will the ticket to competing with apple

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what? wasn't the whole point of tizen to get out from under google's control in the first place?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think this is more likely google abandoning wearos than it is samsung abandoning tizen. fuchsia for wearable coming out next month or so perhaps.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

fun fact: tizen’s UI toolkit is based on enlightenment

yes, THAT enlightenment

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

kitten smoothie posted:

yes, THAT enlightenment

rasterman's revenge.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mediaphage posted:

lmao google and samsung have decided to merge WearOS and tizen for smart watches

oh well maybe this will the ticket to competing with apple

lol

lol why did they even buy fitbit

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Isn't tizen coded in some completely insane language/pattern or something?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Isn't tizen coded in some completely insane language/pattern or something?

kitten smoothie posted:

yes, THAT enlightenment

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i'm pretty sure someone in yospos was posting about coding an ui for a tizen based smart tv or something and it was bad

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

crepeface posted:

lol why did they even buy fitbit

i assume for the data more than anything, kinda, it was easy for them to get into health devices with a known and liked brand

also new fitbits will come running whatever this new os is going to be

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

yeah it seemed like a play to buy your way into the existing huge fitbit customer base with lots of rabid fans who are repeat buyers

mediaphage posted:

also new fitbits will come running whatever this new os is going to be

like buying a restaurant with tons of regulars who love the place, and replacing the popular secret sauce with crap scraped from the grease trap

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
they bought Fitbit because they are desperate to get into wearables but are incapable of making a low power device to compete with the Apple Watch

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

actually, having thought about it for a moment: probably what is happening is that upon fuchsia shipping a bunch of middle managers stopped writing pitches for dozens new unifying chat applications, and started writing pitches for new unifying operating systems. so this is just the first of twelve billion new incompatible efforts.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

this isn’t really saying much but: samsung’s watches are 10x better than anything wearos has ever produced
also samsung kinda was feuding with google for a while but they’ve essentially made up over the last few years, i think they both bonded over realizing they produce slightly different shades of garbage

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sleepwalkers posted:

also samsung kinda was feuding with google for a while but they’ve essentially made up over the last few years, i think they both bonded over realizing they produce slightly different shades of garbage

yeah I remember when this heated up as Google went buying Motorola, and Samsung being concerned that Google would be actually competent at selling a vertically-integrated product that would eat Samsung’s lunch

which is pretty laughable in retrospect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i figured it was a defensive purchase - google was afraid that apple was in the process of running away with the entire wearable/health tracker market and locking google out of it and they needed to do something

i assume it will fall prey to the same malaise and inertia that claims all of googles hardware products