Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Put a reservation on the Ioniq 5. Maybe this will be the one we actually end up buying. Hyundai has had EVs on the market for a while so maybe they’ve worked out the kinks.

They look great. What's the rough delivery date?

I swapped over to summer wheels and the Audi garage next door had a GT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I ended up cancelling my ID.4 reservation. Car budget got reduced due to housing market craziness.

I'm honestly way more interested than I expected to be in that F150. I hope for Rivian have an amazing launch this summer to build some traction, that F150 looks like a strong competitor.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Tesla did not show to court in Norway to defend against accusations of throttling recharge speed and range. Waiting for spicy Elon tweets.

https://electrek.co/2021/05/24/tesla-found-guilty-throttling-charging-speed-asked-pay-16000-thousands-owners/

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I assume they'll appeal.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Cupra which is a subsidiary of Seat which is a subsidiary of Volkswagen just officially announced their version of the ID.3 the Cupra Born:

Specswise its pretty similar to an ID.3 (Duh!) just a bit speedier, flashier and with more copper decoration. And of course its a tad more expensive than the cheapest ID.3 but i think its also a bit better equipped than an ID.3 Pure.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kia or Ford it is, then.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Kia or Ford it is, then.

Why is this the case? Is it, like, a legal thing, or a dealership thing, or a test market thing?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

That's weird, their press announcement said they'll initially sell in Georgia but it's not on this list.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cruft posted:

Why is this the case? Is it, like, a legal thing, or a dealership thing, or a test market thing?

It's probably a restriction to markets that have EV incentives and therefore artificially supported demand. There will be constrained supply so they might as well support the largest markets more effectively rather than have units languish on dealer lots in Indiana when they could be sold elsewhere.

Maybe also some technical readiness issues in that they are focusing training, support, dealer investment, etc on those markets with EV incentives.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Shai-Hulud posted:

Cupra which is a subsidiary of Seat which is a subsidiary of Volkswagen just officially announced their version of the ID.3 the Cupra Born:

Specswise its pretty similar to an ID.3 (Duh!) just a bit speedier, flashier and with more copper decoration. And of course its a tad more expensive than the cheapest ID.3 but i think its also a bit better equipped than an ID.3 Pure.

I spec'ed it similar to my ID.3 order and it came about a few $100 cheaper, like usual when it comes to SEAT. Performance seemed identical though? 7.3s 0-100. Same battery. Maybe I was looking at the wrong one. Good looking car though, but the wife loves the ID.3 and I value my life so. Just kidding I really like it as well.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's probably a restriction to markets that have EV incentives and therefore artificially supported demand. There will be constrained supply so they might as well support the largest markets more effectively rather than have units languish on dealer lots in Indiana when they could be sold elsewhere.

Maybe also some technical readiness issues in that they are focusing training, support, dealer investment, etc on those markets with EV incentives.

Texas ended its EV tax credit so there's no incentive.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

In fact, they passed a negative credit that assumes you drive a below average mpg gasoline car 4-5x more than the average Texan.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm annoyed that in Georgia my electric motorcycle has the same ~$240 annual fee as the 4-wheeled EVs here.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shai-Hulud posted:

Really not in the the latest VW trend of high-gloss touch surfaces. Already seeing myself wiping them down with a microfiber cloth constantly.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Florida has literally nothing so it can't be that either. Unless some counties do down south or something but certainly not here in Central Florida.
But that's cool because in a few years I can pick up a used one without having to order it through Carvana or similar.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

MrOnBicycle posted:

I spec'ed it similar to my ID.3 order and it came about a few $100 cheaper, like usual when it comes to SEAT. Performance seemed identical though? 7.3s 0-100. Same battery. Maybe I was looking at the wrong one. Good looking car though, but the wife loves the ID.3 and I value my life so. Just kidding I really like it as well.

Yea looks like there just no comparable Born model to the ID.3 Pure. Speccing both with about the same stuff puts them at about the same price.

I do like the copper stuff they put on it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m disappointed but not surprised there isn’t even a mention of the EV6 on the kia.ca website. :sigh:

hyundai has an email notification thing for the ioniq and that’s it too.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

Really not in the the latest VW trend of high-gloss touch surfaces. Already seeing myself wiping them down with a microfiber cloth constantly.

They should just include cotton gloves with these cars at this point.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

knox_harrington posted:

They look great. What's the rough delivery date?

I swapped over to summer wheels and the Audi garage next door had a GT.

No idea. They say fall 2021 when you put in a reservation but I don’t really believe that. I expect it to be 2022 and will be very surprised if they meet the fall date.

Also, the etron looks great, though I don’t think it’s as eye catching at the Taycan. But that may be what a lot of buyers want, and from what I’ve read it sounds like the drive is similarly understated compared to the Taycan.

Edit: The Ioniq 5 will supposedly be available nationwide in 2022 so I don’t think the limited availability is intended to last very long.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 25, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kunabomber posted:

Texas ended its EV tax credit so there's no incentive.

Are there any city/county level incentives in major cities? That also has an effect.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Or they included states with no incentives but high populations?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Despite texas policies, texas is starting to be ripe with tech cash and in 2018 was the 5th largest ev market in the united states, just after washington. I assume they just went down the list of top x states by sales and also zev states and just did those

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

At least the shift lever is matte. I like the Seat. I wonder if Skoda and Audi will do a small one too.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Tesla is removing radar for all model 3 and y vehicles delivered to North America. Seems like a horrible idea but that should solve the phantom braking issues.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

MomJeans420 posted:

Tesla is removing radar for all model 3 and y vehicles delivered to North America. Seems like a horrible idea but that should solve the phantom braking issues.

Didn't they basically say they're going with camera-only going forward?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MomJeans420 posted:

How would removing sensors solve that particular problem? If anything it'll make things worse.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

So they invented cameras that can see through rain and fog. I'm sure this won't backfire.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

dissss posted:

How would removing sensors solve that particular problem? If anything it'll make things worse.

Radar has to send something out and then time how long it takes to come back. It's sort of like a cathode-ray tube: there's only one ray active at any given time. So radar has to sort of sweep across the field of view, and it can only answer the question "within this 5 degree cone, how far away is the closest thing?"

Removing the radar without making any other changes, you're right, won't solve that problem without introducing a bunch of other problems. But I believe they're upgrading the cameras in some way too, and they must have found, through lots of testing, ways to get the same performance without using the radar at all. So really, this is "Tesla is removing the radar and maybe upgrading the cameras and probably rolling out some software changes that alter how the camera input is processed".

I don't get how this would solve phantom braking, though: the only time I've ever experienced it was going under bridges and stuff. I don't think the radar looks that far up, and had assumed it was the camera input freaking the AI out thinking a shadow was actually an obstacle.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see how this compares. The autopilot on my model 3 blew the autopilot on my model S out of the water, and the model S autopilot was pretty amazing to me when we got it. I just hope whatever they have rolling out next doesn't require new cameras, so my car will be able to keep pace with the software updates. It was very lonely reading about these cool new developments that the model S was too old to get.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

dissss posted:

Similar idea to the software guy at work who I reported an error message to during an OS install, he simply added a script that just stopped the error message showing (error still existed if you checked).

By removing the thing causing your problem, the problem goes away. Easy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

So they invented cameras that can see through rain and fog. I'm sure this won't backfire.

You don't use the adaptive cruise control for flying blind in zero visibility.

The radar phantom braking will be gone, but I bet a whole host of new issues will arrive instead, particularly in winter and at night with oncoming traffic. And going in and out of tunnels.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The neat thing about how Tesla does stuff is that they have this really large deployed fleet of sensors all over the world, in the form of cars people have bought. They've been pushing software out to run through scenarios like "okay, what if we tweaked the algorithm in this way, how would the path differ from what the human in control is doing" and report back on the algorithm's performance.

In all likelihood, they've been gathering data on the new "no radar" software for a long time now, and have decided that they can save a fair amount of money per car by using the new algorithm, and not including radar hardware. The computer in the car is going to be there no matter what, but taking out the radar makes the cars quicker to assemble, reduces potential maintenance problems, and increases the profit margin per vehicle (unless they reduce prices at the same time, which they won't).

There are a lot of smart people working at auto manufacturers. Some of them work at Tesla, including a bunch of people who are very, very good at robotics. They're pushing the envelope hard, both with the robotic cars, and the robots that build the cars. It's a very exciting time to be an armchair robotics fan.

Unfortunately, the company isn't very good at explaining the technical details of what they're doing, so all we can do is guess. And these guesses are informed only by stuff that's been done in the past, so they're not going to be very well-informed guesses. So when the question is "how is this going to manifest in the real world", usually nobody really has any lucid idea.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ola posted:

You don't use the adaptive cruise control for flying blind in zero visibility.

I wasn't talking about ACC, forward collision detection without radar kind of sucks.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I wasn't talking about ACC, forward collision detection without radar kind of sucks.

Still not a "see through rain and fog" scenario. I'll add the extant radar based ones are spurious at best, in daylight and good weather.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

dissss posted:

It should solve the braking for bridges / overpasses issue at the least. I wonder if it's related to the parts shortages everyone is currently experiencing, as the China and EU models will still have radar (presumably they have regulatory bodies that function better than the NHTSA). I forgot to add that Tesla also said:

quote:

For a short period during this transition, cars with Tesla Vision may be delivered with some features temporarily limited or inactive, including:

Autosteer will be limited to a maximum speed of 75 mph and a longer minimum following distance.
Smart Summon (if equipped) and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance may be disabled at delivery.

In the weeks ahead, we’ll start restoring these features via a series of over-the-air software updates. All other available Autopilot and Full Self-Driving features will be active at delivery, depending on order configuration.

https://www.tesla.com/support/transitioning-tesla-vision

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I don't know how to feel about this. I have a Model Y on order but this is making me think about cancelling. The 'features' they are removing don't really matter much to me but the roll out tells me that this is hosed.

In my opinion it's clear that they couldn't get enough radar supplied from their suppliers who have said they are affected by the chip shortages. They then just kept on in the hopes of getting their vision system released. It isn't being removed from cars going to the EU because they wouldn't stand for this crap. The long delay was probably them having to get recertified to release here. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal on the one hand but on the other hand it seems shady, less safe, and now you are paying more money for less car. Terrible communication too, but that seems par for the course.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Subaru uses stereo cameras only. I've had ACC turn off in heavy rain. Their lane centering doesn't work great either. Otherwise they're one of the best.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s interesting that lane departure avoidance is apparently affected by the radar.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

E: nevermind, I misread something

Since I claimed a post, I may as well say that when I got the Model 3, the autopilot was worse than the Model S. It only took a couple months for it to catch up, and then it very quickly surpassed what the S was doing. I expect this will be the same situation.

I'm guessing they're going to gather a lot of data before they turn these features on with a new set of hardware. If so, that would point to an approach that is actually pretty cautious. The OTA updates and data collection capabilities allow them to do a better risk assessment in a wider range of real world conditions than would have been available on even the best test courses.

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 25, 2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nobody really knows what data Tesla actually collects or how they use it outside of the specific computer vision stuff they focus on at AI day so this idea that they are doing fancy AI/ML to teach the car how to drive isn’t well founded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

raggedphoto posted:

Super happy with the car, wife loves it and driving in EV mode is awesome. We had someone roll coal on us the first week of ownership!!

How long before someone comes up with something to shoot lightning at coal rollers, I wonder? :D
Someone in the AI chat thread suggested a Jacob's Ladder apparatus in the bed of the F-150 Lightning to compensate for the inability to roll coal, perhaps tied into the regenerative braking. The EV equivalent of pops and burbles on decel from an old school ICE.
Silly, but fun to think about.