Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Sparkling Worlds is pretty goddamn cool so far. All sorts of new events and new trader types, and the glitterworld tech is its own tech tree that's well put together and is an absolute bitch to chew through. I haven't even gotten to play with most of the new tech yet, mostly because I'm charging right for resurrector mech serum so I can start bringing back my Freezer of the Damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Had an Advent Shieldbearer squad drop pod in and was worried for a bit, but it turns out the tried and true "Have a ranger run up and cleave their head off" tactic works in Rimworld too

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Imagine getting NTR'd over someone talking about fast food

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I didn't get a screenshot of it this time, but Dominguez, Bad Animal Namer, strikes again.

Now I have a horse named Isis.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

CapnAndy posted:

I didn't get a screenshot of it this time, but Dominguez, Bad Animal Namer, strikes again.

Now I have a horse named Isis.

I had a boomalope called Isis in a game once

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I;m thnking about thos Peas

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I was working on improving my killbox when a Manhunting Pack event occurred, so, um.... behold the Turkey Funnel.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CapnAndy posted:

I was working on improving my killbox when a Manhunting Pack event occurred, so, um.... behold the Turkey Funnel.

:jerky: hell yeah

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

OwlFancier posted:

I;m thnking about thos Peas

after 20 years of All That reruns we have finally given peas a chance

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I continue to be impressed with Sparkling Worlds, it's doing a really good job at balancing out rewards with what it costs to get them. There's a 3x3 fusion reactor that outputs 9000W of power -- but you have to keep it fueled with uranium. And while you can craft resurrector serums, each one requires a persona core and 3 luciferum. It's not remotely easy or cheap.

It actually seems like "okay how can we make luciferum not such a self-evidently bad deal that it's worthless" was a design focus of the mod, which I also appreciate.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the lovely thing is that luci is a pretty good discussion if you have a hard source of it, but since we're mostly unable to get that it's just too much of a liability.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hoff is a loving liar.

(unless you have a mod installed that lets you grow peas)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Coolguye posted:

the lovely thing is that luci is a pretty good discussion if you have a hard source of it, but since we're mostly unable to get that it's just too much of a liability.

Yeah, I have eventually became a pretty big fan of luci. Once you have like 10-12 it will have a knock-on effect, where, with 1 colonist on luci, you almost certainly get more before your stockpile runs out, making it actually pretty safe to use, even in relatively early game. And one good colonist permanently on luci can do a lot.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that's just it. putting a GOOD colonist on it is such a weird conversation that i have never been comfortable with it. the main thing that i did was put a good soldier, but otherwise mediocre colonist on it. a good fighter has a lot of value, and in the mid-game before you have access to a cryptosleep capsule, the extra movement from breathing and blood pumping makes for a big boost on cleaning and hauling duties.

but by the same token if your best fighter dies you can handle it by building more spike traps.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Coolguye posted:

Well good news I guess, in the mod you can craft it! It's not easy, but you can.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You can also hunt some animals, caravan to a friendly settlement and buy enough to last a year.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I thought changing map size would just add extra terrain to the edges of the map, but it seems to make far more changes. I typically play 1 map larger and I get this spot

But going with default I get

I think the smaller map is better for having the entire east side be all deep water. Only real concern is if raids can come in through that natural cave on the top right

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

How did you get that full map picture?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got this mod which I use so I can zoom in more, I didn't realize you couldn't zoom out that much in vanilla

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=867467808

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dunno-Lars posted:

You can also hunt some animals, caravan to a friendly settlement and buy enough to last a year.

It doesn’t always restock when the encampment does so youd best be buying that whole year’s worth and making the trip out sooner than you strictly need to

Ask me how I know

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

does the cryptosleep casket or whatever let you 'pause' luciferum need? that would change the math significantly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I believe it does, the only problem with constantly putting a pawn in the casket whenever they're not needed is that they get crypto sickness whenever they come out. So you can't keep your luciferium hopped super soldiers in there and pop them out when a raid happens unless you want them vomiting for the entire engagement.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
You can also create new settlements and raid ancient dangers for more lucy (then abandon them later), and any method to trade frequently will give you access to tons of the stuff. It's really not much of an issue to manage a couple of addicted pawns, and it can do wonders for healing things like brain damage that would otherwise never heal.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Leal posted:

I believe it does, the only problem with constantly putting a pawn in the casket whenever they're not needed is that they get crypto sickness whenever they come out. So you can't keep your luciferium hopped super soldiers in there and pop them out when a raid happens unless you want them vomiting for the entire engagement.

It is an option for when you simply run low though. Most of the time you can keep one or two pawns juiced, and if you start to run out just put them on ice until you get more.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cryptosleep caskets do pause the addiction and that tech is in my mind a prerequisite for using luci on anyone because of that.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

?So apparently my stutter bug is because someone got a title? If I make the pawn renounce their title, the game stops stuttering whenever they finish a job. A far better option than killing them off.
How utterly bizarre, I guess there's some sort of weird mod incompatability at play or something. But I can survive just fine without people having titles.

I don't suppose there's a way to trigger those 'deserter wants to show the secret to making psylinks' quests after you're already done some stuff for the empire?
I assume those only come if you're neutral / at war with them.
e: Ended up getting one not long after I revoked my titles, so I assume it can drop as long as there aren't any titleholders.

e: Also the electric fences mod is pretty overpowered, and probably the laziest hunting method imaginable. It's winter, so almost every hungry animal on the map is is pathing into my base for the various plant scraps that are lying around.
I thought it'd just be a useful layer of defense to slow raiders down and hurt them a bit, but my power grid is getting completely drained by the hordes of animals shoving themselves in and frying themselves on the fences.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 26, 2021

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

SubNat posted:

I thought it'd just be a useful layer of defense to slow raiders down and hurt them a bit, but my power grid is getting completely drained by the hordes of animals shoving themselves in and frying themselves on the fences.

Wait in game or in reality?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Presumably in-game because lol at the idea of an unoptimized Rimworld mod loving up your power grid worse than bitcoin mining

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I finally recruit one cat girl too many and a single white hot CPU core melts out of my computer and through my floor

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Should have clarified, it was the wild animals murdering themselves on the electric fence

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

they're whizzing on it

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Imagining a dozen pawns huddled around a couple of fires in the filthy wreckage of their rec room, all of the icy bedrooms with their inoperable heating systems piled to the rafters with frozen animal corpses

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

Wait in game or in reality?

In game of course, The base electric fence pulls a couple hundred Watt-Days from the battery banks to zap animals. When it's just the odd animal it's no big deal, but when a manhunter pack comes knocking, or a group of animals decide that those plant scraps I left out look real tasty, they'll burn through my battery banks in no time at all.
A lot of smaller animals get instakilled provided it has enough power, while stuff like muffalo, yaks, etc go down in 1-3 zaps. And yeah, I've just got thousands and thousands of meat because nearly every animal on the map -eventually- decides to poke their head in and BZZT.
They just don't parse it as dangerous/trap-y in any way, so they just path through the gates like there's nothing wrong, and zap.

In reality rimworld can't really do much with a power grid, even with it running at full speed it can't do much more than roll 2-3 cpu cores. The game can't really draw that much power even if it tried to.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Just had my colony get raided by two guys. They stood at the edge of the map to prepare their assault, and had a little conversation. After a few jokes, one of them called the other an ibis, which was not taken well, and a fight broke out between them. Amateurish punches began flying, a few headbutts, much biting. Eventually Zach, the man who had been called an ibis, struck Barhonein, who had made the ibis comment, in the torso, killing him outright. This ended the raid, as well as their friendship, as Zach's morale broke, and he limped away from the colony. They never even saw its walls.

Wonderful game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mu. posted:

Just had my colony get raided by two guys. They stood at the edge of the map to prepare their assault, and had a little conversation. After a few jokes, one of them called the other an ibis, which was not taken well, and a fight broke out between them. Amateurish punches began flying, a few headbutts, much biting. Eventually Zach, the man who had been called an ibis, struck Barhonein, who had made the ibis comment, in the torso, killing him outright. This ended the raid, as well as their friendship, as Zach's morale broke, and he limped away from the colony. They never even saw its walls.

Wonderful game.

I had a similar thing happen with a siege, where a social fight broke out between two of the attackers, which immediately made the entire siege abandon setting up their artillery and rush my colony, because they interpreted this as being attacked.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Today's experiment is called: Can You Resurrect A Dude With No Head?

Conclusion: Yes

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Imagining a cartoony explosion where all that's left is his busted pelvis and a pair of pristine bionic legs

How did you inject the nanites :psyduck:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

How far do those resurrection nanites go?
Like, could you unearth one of those ancient graves and do the 'Heyo, welcome to centuries in the future! Everyone you ever knew died like 200-300 years ago, by the way. Please tell us about your fascinating, ancient culture.' scifi thing?
Or do they become basically useless once a body has started rotting/deteriorating?

I've only ever used them on pretty fresh bodies, so I'm curious where the cutoff is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Danaru posted:

Imagining a cartoony explosion where all that's left is his busted pelvis and a pair of pristine bionic legs

How did you inject the nanites :psyduck:
Into his junk, obviously.

The better question is, how the living gently caress did he come back as the same dude, with all his memories and personality quirks? Did Rimworld just confirm genetic memory?

SubNat posted:

How far do those resurrection nanites go?
Like, could you unearth one of those ancient graves and do the 'Heyo, welcome to centuries in the future! Everyone you ever knew died like 200-300 years ago, by the way. Please tell us about your fascinating, ancient culture.' scifi thing?
Or do they become basically useless once a body has started rotting/deteriorating?

I've only ever used them on pretty fresh bodies, so I'm curious where the cutoff is.
Only fresh (maybe rotting? definitely not dessicated), and the odds of catastrophic side effects go up the longer they're dead, so you're well advised to stuff your dead colonists into freezers ASAP.

That said, this mod also has a DNA Template Serum that takes dessicated bodies and returns them to fresh, so yeah, I could do that right now if I wanted.