Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Nice! I can't even find them but I haven't even played Underworlds yet. But I have gotten a third warband ready:

So now three teams on deck with a fourth possibly done this week as the Gobbo Wolfriders seem relatively easy to paint with SANE bases that won't take more time than the model themselves. (I might add some more paint to the Siggie bases though. Or a little flock at least.)

Got another GW game now too. I've got all of the previous Marine game I think. A shame the expansions were online only pretty much. And that both the Marine Adventures games can't combine. Missed opportunity imo.

Edit: vvvvvv https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-space-marine-adventures-rise-of-the-orks-strategy-game/35009579?ean=5011921141913 vvvvv here i provide a link to answer all your burning questions. Vvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What's that Space Marine box? Is that an old Epic expansion?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 24, 2021

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

What's that Space Marine box? Is that an old Epic expansion?

It's one of the Barnes and Noble GW starter games.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Vargksayrskwhatever:

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Got my Crimson Court ready to roll!

Yo you blache'd the gently caress outta those, good work

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Glad to see in this thread that not everyone in this hobby is an rear end in a top hat. I'm terribly disheartened by all this crap. Do we have some painting Discord group or something to hang out in? Please help...

Just imagine beating them in any 40k-related game with Sisters of Battle or a Guard unit with so much as one female trooper...

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Oh hey, I just got my first primaris two days ago, with the idea to join the latest 28mag challenge. And when I mentioned this to my otherwise really decent small gaming group (4 people) all poo poo broke lose and I got such stuff yelled at me by all of them about destroying the lore and how this leads to "poo poo like black Thor" and other racist and misogynistic poo poo that I lost all my will to do anything with this hobby.
Even when I said that "Guys, this is just an art challenge to show our ideas how a female space marine would look, which I find interesting, why does this bother you so much?" The answer I got was "Why does it bother you so much that we don't agree with you?" so I stopped talking to them.

Glad to see in this thread that not everyone in this hobby is an rear end in a top hat. I'm terribly disheartened by all this crap. Do we have some painting Discord group or something to hang out in? Please help...

I'm sorry you've had this experience, and you're not alone. Wargamers are notoriously reactionary and aggressive.

Just found this online. Someone photoshop it to be oldhammer and newhammer

https://twitter.com/SammyRainbowCat/status/1396655465174642688?s=20

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 25, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm sorry you've had this experience, and you're not alone. Wargamers are notoriously reactionary and aggressive.

Just found this online. Someone photoshop it to be oldhammer and newhammer

https://twitter.com/SammyRainbowCat/status/1396655465174642688?s=20
Would it be accurate? A friend has an aneceote of being called "a little fag" because he wanted to know more about 40k when he was 11 but some grogs. That was 2000 but it holds

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
no, it wasn't better then either tbh

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Yo you blache'd the gently caress outta those, good work

That was the direction I was trying to go in, I love how Blanche paints stuff. I was trying for an approximation of his Contrast stuff, but obviously fell pretty short of the mark.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Would it be accurate? A friend has an aneceote of being called "a little fag" because he wanted to know more about 40k when he was 11 but some grogs. That was 2000 but it holds

Yeah, you're probably right.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh hey, I just got my first primaris two days ago, with the idea to join the latest 28mag challenge. And when I mentioned this to my otherwise really decent small gaming group (4 people) all poo poo broke lose and I got such stuff yelled at me by all of them about destroying the lore and how this leads to "poo poo like black Thor" and other racist and misogynistic poo poo that I lost all my will to do anything with this hobby.
Even when I said that "Guys, this is just an art challenge to show our ideas how a female space marine would look, which I find interesting, why does this bother you so much?" The answer I got was "Why does it bother you so much that we don't agree with you?" so I stopped talking to them.

In addition to the two or three TG discords hanging around, we've got multiple threads here in trad games where you will find the consensus is whatever you wanna do with your models is cool and good, including especially making female marines and otherwise being more representative within the hobby. That includes our general painting & modeling thread, the 40k and 30k threads, and others. This is generally a really progressive community and the occasional exception gets dogpiled pretty fast.

I'm also telling you as a TG mod that I don't tolerate bullshit gatekeeping, the use of racist or misogynistic slurs, etc. anywhere in the subforum. If you see that stuff please report it. We're a rowdy bunch and there's a certain level of smack talk and so on that is normal and part of the posting culture, but there's limits, and in particular a firm bright line when it comes to bigotry.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Ugh, that's rough. I remember when my local gaming group started going reactionary chud. This was back in 2007 and at that point they were still more or less decent in person, they were just starting to parrot Fox News talking points a lot when discussing politics. I dropped out of touch when I moved to another city later that year but it's depressing to imagine what brain eaters likely took hold given the path most people like that took in the intervening years.

quote:

Yes, because the issue here was your inability to handle diversity of opinion.:jerkbag:

BTW, thanks for mentioning the 28mag. I'd never heard of it before and am enjoying the art submissions there!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Peyote Panda posted:

Yes, because the issue here was your inability to handle diversity of opinion.:jerkbag:

But, I mean, that's the go-to for them. Any time you voice an opinion, they can shout it down with impunity, but the minute you disagree with one of their opinions, you're an intolerant monster.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've never understood the whole "gurls can't be speese muhreens!!!!11!1!" (I think I spelled that inflection correctly...). I mean, you're talking about prepubescent children that have been genetically modified to be more than human. By the time they finish going through the surgeries, indoctrination, and training, I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't technically be human, let alone male or female. Just say that the space marines that choose new trainees try to steer girls into the Adeptus Sororitas because there's a much lower chance of horrible death before they can fight the enemies of the Imperium, but won't refuse if a girl insists, and that by the end of training, they're virtually indistinguishable from their fellow battle brothers.

But I know neckbeards would scream bloody murder if you even suggest letting a girl near their boys club.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's about symbolism, closely-held tropes, and fear of change. The european male monk tradition, the idea that women are worse at fighting, and being terrified that if one foundational aspect of the fiction they obsess and base their personal identities on shifts, all of them will inevitably do so and they'll be literally destroyed, respectively.

Basically: insecurity, the same place most conservatism comes from. There's not much you can hope to do about it by yourself. If you're the minority in a group like that, you've got no hope of prevailing and pretty much have to just bail, yup.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ideally they'd find a way to use that exclusion to demonstrate why it's bad practice. Maybe one chapter turns girls into hyper-efficient XX super marines only to get obliterated by the inquisition. Maybe fabius bile develops a line of 3W 5S murder maidens and the Imperium refuses to use his technique because of Tradition.

As it stands, it's exclusionary and frustrating - and that's not necessarily bad but it should be channeled into better messaging.

It's a conflict between whether the Imperium is ultranationalist super-conservative hyperfascists or whether they're the "40k good guys," which IMO is socially irresponsible to portray them as. Things that highlight where imperial values aren't ours need to be stressed harder - not brought into line with our sensibilities.

The whole thing feels like reading X-Men and concluding that since it's wrong when people are racist against mutants Marvel should retcon it.

We should be less like fictional villains, not make them more like ourselves. They're bad so we can consider problems in a low-stakes space and ideas can be quietly challenged. That's when scifi shines.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I assumed Sisters Of Battle---an infinitely more aesthetically radical army---was the answer to the "female space marine" question. That being said it'd still be neat to see women in the Marine ranks.

Age Of Sigmar doesn't seem to have the problems 40k does, at the very least. Fair amount of both men and women in the Stormcasts, aelves, forces of chaos/darkness.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

AoS is also a lot more clear-cut about Sigmar being unabashedly good. I think that was a good decision, since humanity typically becomes the defacto audience insert.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

DLC Inc posted:

I assumed Sisters Of Battle---an infinitely more aesthetically radical army---was the answer to the "female space marine" question. That being said it'd still be neat to see women in the Marine ranks.

Age Of Sigmar doesn't seem to have the problems 40k does, at the very least. Fair amount of both men and women in the Stormcasts, aelves, forces of chaos/darkness.

solution: blow up 40k like they did WFB :getin:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

DLC Inc posted:

there were female space marines in the earliest 40k fluff, and they existed at the same time as sisters of battle. Rogue trader era materials mention both.

the reason there aren’t any today is that in the early days GW was a much smaller company with much more limited resources, and female space marines didn’t sell, so they cut that range and invented a lore justification for it. Incidentally this is also the origin of the Horus Heresy; for the original adeptus titanicus game they could only afford one set of molds, so they just cast the models twice, painted them different colors and invented a reason why they were fighting each other. boom, now we have the Horus Heresy.

over the years a lore kludge meant to address a real-world limited-capacity problem has been elevated by grogs to the status of holy writ. Clearly if GW invented space marines today there would be women, see Stormcast, but they feel stuck based on the lore. It’s very silly but it seems unlikely to change at this point, but since sororitas are already a more powerful army than marines and about to get even stronger with a new book I guess grogs can deal_with_it.jpg

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sisters of Battle/Adeptus Sororitas, as originally conceived and still visible in their portrayal today, are an answer to the "how can we get sexualized catholic nuns into our game" way more than an answer to the representation question. Although they may have also been looking for a "army for girls to play" angle too, because of course, the thing repelling girls away from warhammer 40k in ~1997 was that none of the armies were girls, and nothing else, lol. And the sexualized/nun aspect really originates in much older artwork - the first SoB codex has this John Blanche artwork on the cover:

But I suspect you're right in that over time, the existence of the Sisters models/army and their place in the lore became part of the rationalization for why we simply don't "need" to alter the lore to have female space marines be possible within it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

there were female space marines in the earliest 40k fluff, and they existed at the same time as sisters of battle. Rogue trader era materials mention both.

the reason there aren’t any today is that in the early days GW was a much smaller company with much more limited resources, and female space marines didn’t sell, so they cut that range and invented a lore justification for it. Incidentally this is also the origin of the Horus Heresy; for the original adeptus titanicus game they could only afford one set of molds, so they just cast the models twice, painted them different colors and invented a reason why they were fighting each other. boom, now we have the Horus Heresy.

over the years a lore kludge meant to address a real-world limited-capacity problem has been elevated by grogs to the status of holy writ. Clearly if GW invented space marines today there would be women, see Stormcast, but they feel stuck based on the lore. It’s very silly but it seems unlikely to change at this point, but since sororitas are already a more powerful army than marines and about to get even stronger with a new book I guess grogs can deal_with_it.jpg

Worth pointing to this BoLS article which elaborates on this aspect of things:
https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2020/10/warhammer-40k-the-real-story-of-female-space-marines.html

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fair enough, I always preferred the Sisters of Battle over the Space Marine chapters anyways, and if "No girls allowed in Space Marines" means I get more angry battle nuns, I won't complain.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

how this leads to "poo poo like black Thor" and other racist and misogynistic poo poo that I lost all my will to do anything with this hobby.

Grognards ruin everything. So that's why I painted up my TWC sergeant with a black skin tone (also to practice painting different skin tones) and now I really want to make a squad of shieldmaidens with jump packs.

I recently saw on instagram that one dude is making a black panther themed space marines chapter and is loving killing at it:

https://www.instagram.com/blackpantherastartes/

https://www.instagram.com/p/COQPHAVncEn/

Don't let those scumbag losers get you down. Keep up the good work that you've shared in other threads and know that there are actually a lot of people who want everyone to enjoy things and be part of the fun.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I always end up with the same conclusion to the question of female Space Marines. I think they're a bad idea in the way that they are usually suggested. In my opinion the way to do it is to have the Ecclisiarchy do a Big Heresy power grab and somehow make their own from stolen secrets and Sororitas trainess. That way you get to essentially the same place without having to force through an awkward retcon, and you get an interesting storyline/point of conflict as well.

It always sits poorly with me that some people seem to want to marginalise the faction of women, who happen to be the toughest un-augmented humans in the Imperium, while saying equality needs to be pushed.
But I'm not a woman, and that's an opinion shaped by decades of Doctor Thunder types being the most prominent voices calling for women marines.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

I don't mean to "well ackshully" this, but Sunstroke/Little Sisters (those articles) were from a third party magazine and not GW proper

(I totally think there should be lady space marines and use Escher/Stormcast heads on some of my marines)

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Don’t forget Gabs and Jayne!

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It always sits poorly with me that some people seem to want to marginalise the faction of women, who happen to be the toughest un-augmented humans in the Imperium, while saying equality needs to be pushed.
But I'm not a woman, and that's an opinion shaped by decades of Doctor Thunder types being the most prominent voices calling for women marines.

This post talks like sisters of battle are real, but in fact they are fake

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

vkeios posted:

Don’t forget Gabs and Jayne!

Jodhpurs Bandit and Disco Navigator are my jam.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
see I always thought the way to cut the gordian knot on female space marines was to say that space marine DO in fact recruit females but that the hypno-indoctrination and surgical procedures essentially amount to a forced gender re-assignment and that everyone who comes out the other end of that is going to identify as male regardless of their starting gender

it leans in even harder into how hosed up the space marine induction is, it doesn't mean a bunch of new female space marine models have to come out to properly represent them and quite frankly its a more satisfactory explanation than some hand waving about hormones or male physiology or something

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

bandaid.friend posted:

This post talks like sisters of battle are real, but in fact they are fake

Thank you for clarifying that Warhammer 40,000 takes place in a fictional universe.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Do Space Marines even bother identifying as male? Seems superfluous to their function of MURDER, DEATH, KILL. I always felt their dilemma was whether they even identified as human in the first place.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Z the IVth posted:

Do Space Marines even bother identifying as male? Seems superfluous to their function of MURDER, DEATH, KILL. I always felt their dilemma was whether they even identified as human in the first place.

I mean they call each other battle brother but I do agree focus should really be on their inhumanity

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the best space marine fiction makes them sexless (celibate but also androgyne) inhuman space monks

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Warmaster!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Just incredible as always.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

see I always thought the way to cut the gordian knot on female space marines was to say that space marine DO in fact recruit females but that the hypno-indoctrination and surgical procedures essentially amount to a forced gender re-assignment and that everyone who comes out the other end of that is going to identify as male regardless of their starting gender

it leans in even harder into how hosed up the space marine induction is, it doesn't mean a bunch of new female space marine models have to come out to properly represent them and quite frankly its a more satisfactory explanation than some hand waving about hormones or male physiology or something

This is the kind of thing that proper authors could probably pull off but is going to be a trainwreck in the context of the marketing for a toy line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

AnEdgelord posted:

I mean they call each other battle brother but I do agree focus should really be on their inhumanity

That's more a monastic affectation than anything else. Their gender seems to be utterly irrelevant to them. Personally I really like the trappings of religious orders for the twist it gives them beyond just being Future Soldiers. It adds an extra layer to their lore, provides for all sorts of stylistic details, and just generally makes them more distinct. And I think them being cloistered does play well with the idea of them being removed from their humanity. For the same reason I like the idea of women marines, if they ever happen, being Sororitas, because it keeps that theme going.

On the subject of their inhumanity, if I remember correctly there's a section in one of the novels (maybe a Night Lords trilogy one) where a Heresy era marine remembers injuring a woman during a parade. She is strongly implied to be his mother, but he doesn't remember her and doesn't comprehend her motivation. And that was before the Imperium decided it might be a good idea to brain-gently caress them for unquestioning loyalty.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 26, 2021