Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dorkopotamis posted:

On the subject of Nocturne difficulty: I'm currently 10 hours into the remaster, just got back from Ikebukuro and am now in the Nihilo base. My Demifiend is currently level 76 and I've been leaving even boss battles in auto.

So I'd say the remastered Nocturne is many many times easier than vanilla Nocturne.

EDIT: In SMT IV, I forget if there are skill cards or something like it? Nocturne gives me fomo with all of the skills I might be losing forever.

Bwuh. 76???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Detective No. 27 posted:

drat I wish this game were cheaper. A friend's birthday is today and he hasn't played any SMT games despite loving Devilman.

Yeah, even without all the DLC (none of which is free (on the Switch) for some unfathomable reason) it costs more than an actual new thing. There's so much coming out soon or just come out that is actually, properly new that I'll just wait for it to drop in price.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This game can really hate you some times. Right now at Yoyogi Park and Setanta attacked first, using Dragon Eye and then proceeding to spend all of his attacks trying to hit me.

I bring this up mainly because, as an experiment/vague challenge, I have put no points into Agility or Vitality except for I think 1 point of Ag at the start of the game. I can no longer put any points into Magic so I'm dumping them into Luck which everyone says is worthless. I had Miasma Magatama on to deal with Titania Glacial Blast BS and I have 18 Luck (+2 from Magatama) and 6 Agility (+2 from Magatama)

Setanta would have killed me dead if he hit me twice but he whiffed on 2/3 attacks and that's probably the only reason I survived. Maybe Luck is good?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
According to the numbers Reddit dug up, Luck only affects magical accuracy, back attack chance, escaping battle, and your chance to go first. In all of those formula Agility and Magic are more important.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That reminds me that I never finished IVA so I booted up my 3DS and turns out I lost my save file. Ah well.

Meanwhile IV is one of my fave games, it owns so much.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The Raidou version has never been available in the West until now, so I went with that.

Same.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

The Citra 3DS emulator is your friend. It's the only way I've played the amazing 3DS library.

I have hope that my purchasing P4G and Nocturne on Steam will convince them to finally start porting over other SMT games...namely everything on the 3DS. SJR, SMTIVA and Devil Survivor 1/2 will be immediately pre-purchased on Steam if they ever became a reality.
Never played the DLC but the music is one of the best special boss songs in the whole franchise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeCUmXG6Ces

IVA included it as an actual story boss theme which is why I know it exists.

This one is also great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6om-6N_yclo

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Im starting to empathize with the "I gotta stop trying to unlock every skill on my demons," I've like level 13 and 10k macca going into Ginza because I keep grinding instead of just moving on in the game which will get me the same skills faster than trying to get Hua Po and Zhen to level 10

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Luck is broken and terrible in Nocturne.

But if anyone is playing IV, Luck is busted as poo poo there! On my Neutral route playthrough in that game I went with a Luck build, investing massively in it and supplementing it just with a bit of Vit & Agi. It's straight busted because the success rate of the instant death spells scale on Luck so once it's high enough you start one-shotting entire random encounters with terrifying consistency. The only trip up being enemy comps where some of them are immune to Light or Dark. In boss fights your crit rate is so massive that you just generate all the press turns for your demons. Your personal damage is non-existant but who cares at that point. Only downside is I think the build probably sucks for trying to do the DLC fights.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hot take incoming: I'm not that big a fan of the SMT3 OST. It's got some good tracks, but the most used ones aren't good.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hot take incoming: I'm not that big a fan of the SMT3 OST. It's got some good tracks, but the most used ones aren't good.

Just makes you appreciate the good tracks even more.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is the Raidou pack included on the PS4 disc or as part of an update? I don't see a download for it on PSN. I know on PC it's a separate, free file.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Raidou/Chronicle is included with the game for all versions except Steam.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So I bought Nocturne on ps2 way back on its release, but never finished it and remember almost nothing.

Any good tips or rules of thumb for a total newcomer?

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Because I’m a fool, I’ve decided I’m going to get the Nocturne remaster. I’m not sure what platform to get it on, however. How well does the switch version run post-patch? Does it still have framerate drops on spell casts and lengthy load times, for example? Most info I can find is from the JP release, before the issues were ostensibly patched.

I’d go straight for the pc version but I’m worried about crashes, which seem like an especially bad thing to deal with in a game like Nocturne.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

BurningBeard posted:

So I bought Nocturne on ps2 way back on its release, but never finished it and remember almost nothing.

If you forget a skill on your MC, it's gone for good. If you're going for the most content ending, it will be easier if you end with a STR focused MC, if not STR and MAG are both fine.

Keep the pixie you get at the start of the game. Fusing her is fine, just don't sacrifice whatever demon she's in or kick it out of the party.

Buffs and Debuffs are good, they stack up to 4x and last until the fight ends.

Having appropriate elemental resistances/skills to target weaknesses is more important than grinding for a million years.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Switch load times are fine but framerate drops are plenty in docked mode and not too terrible in handheld. Only when casting spells though so not unplayable

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Did everyone remember to get their free Soma from the vending machine in the hospital?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

BurningBeard posted:

So I'll just get this out of the way and say that, if you've played a fair number of JRPGs before, the number of times you just sort of get hosed and enemies land two crits in a row on you is a real issue here. I died like five times before getting out of the first dungeon from random crits despite totally clowning the boss. There's not a TON you can do about this (skills that lower encounter rate, passives that prevent you from getting back-attacked), just be prepared to get a little mad

Otherwise, the key thing is to stay on top of keeping your team updated. For a boss, you're going to need at least one person who nulls the elemental spells they cast to prevent you from getting overwhelmed with free attacks, so if you look at your team and don't have anyone who does that, someone's gotta go. If the enemy casts buffs/debuffs and you aren't able to negate them, someone's gotta go. You're not gonna be able to do the Pokemon thing where "eh it's okay if I can't exploit their weakness, I'll just raw stat through the fight." I basically never pay attention to stats (unless they're like, WAY lobsided) and only focus on what elemental resistances they have and what spells I can slap onto them

Also a hot tip for anyone who might be new to the game series: fuse/obtain a jack frost immediately, he comes by default with Dark Might which means if you fight a boss during a new moon he will always crit and so getting one or two demons on your team who will always crit during a boss fight will make things WAY easier, it's like one of the most valuable skills in the game and Jack Frost is only level 7

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 25, 2021

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

LibrarianCroaker posted:

If you forget a skill on your MC, it's gone for good. If you're going for the most content ending, it will be easier if you end with a STR focused MC, if not STR and MAG are both fine.

Keep the pixie you get at the start of the game. Fusing her is fine, just don't sacrifice whatever demon she's in or kick it out of the party.

Buffs and Debuffs are good, they stack up to 4x and last until the fight ends.

Having appropriate elemental resistances/skills to target weaknesses is more important than grinding for a million years.

Awesome! Thanks. Glad to know it’s not a grindfest. Whenever I see a game like this with a big old pile of recruitable/disposable/upgradeable party members I always worry about how micromanagey/grindy it’ll get in service of the perfect party comp.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Had that classic Nocturne experience of completely demolishing a boss while barely taking any damage, and then before I get to a save spot I die on the world map to a random encounter via an unlucky crit :dukedog:

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

hatty posted:

Switch load times are fine but framerate drops are plenty in docked mode and not too terrible in handheld. Only when casting spells though so not unplayable

I'll be playing in handheld almost exclusively, so it sounds like the switch version might be ok for me. Thanks.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So far with the Switch I've had 1 crash, and it happened when I was using a terminal to teleport out of the Amala Labyrinth so everyone, learn from my mistake and save the game before you warp.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
MATADOR!!! :argh:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

YggiDee posted:

MATADOR!!! :argh:

I prepped pretty well for him and he still hosed me with a critted Andalucia

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's extremely funny to me seeing the 4:3 PS2 era cutscenes.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Haha yeah I'm on Matador now. hosed myself because I completely forgot about the second half of the fight and I fused away my demons with Sukukaja and Rakukaja because I for some reason thought they were easy to get and I'd be able to pick them up no problem

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Oh I handled Matador fine, completely debuffed his attack and defense while maxing out my team's accuracy.

It's Raidou that I had trouble with. I'd completely forgotten that Raidou/Dante had a Dekunda skill so my "All debuffs party" got all of sudden sent scrambling to try and keep up with his damage once he started Taunting them. Wound up using a couple bead chains and a chakra pot to make it through in one go.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I fused away a lot of utility skills, I forgot that I don't have Compendium access. Or money. Or levels. Really I just need to come back in an hour.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

alright nevermind I clowned him all it took was getting Rakukaja

YggiDee posted:

I fused away a lot of utility skills, I forgot that I don't have Compendium access. Or money. Or levels. Really I just need to come back in an hour.

I was so focused on getting Maragi on Hua Po that I just passed on Rakukaja entirely not realizing what a pain in the rear end I'd invented for myself. I also got rid of Sukunda on the MC for like, Tornado. "Oh, Sukunda will be easy to get, like every demon has the buff and debuffs"

:negative:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Bwuh. 76???

Yeah, the game isn't so much balanced around the DLC they released with the deluxe edition.

My advice to anyone buying the remaster: don't buy the deluxe edition or separately, the Mercy and Expectation Map Pack. If you don't know what you're doing (and I didn't) you'll become over-leveled extremely quickly and the game will become trivial.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Im starting to empathize with the "I gotta stop trying to unlock every skill on my demons," I've like level 13 and 10k macca going into Ginza because I keep grinding instead of just moving on in the game which will get me the same skills faster than trying to get Hua Po and Zhen to level 10

... with me it’s exacerbated by not having a compendium to register it to. I know it’s coming up but I feel like all the effort in unlocking their skills is wasted if I can’t register them and pass it on. Just got to Ginza at level 13 as well and I Beat the ever loving crap out of the first boss outside the tutorial without being touched (SMT buffs and Debuffs are always fun). I may have issues.

Side questions, I’ve kept the same Magatama equipped since I got it. I have two skills on it that haven’t come out for the MC (counter and an unknown one) does it level skills differently then when I level myself? Should I switch if I haven’t really had any issues?

Second question- is there anyway in the menus to get a drat idea what some of these skills are? I can’t see what they do unless I am in battle and that annoys me. (Playing switch version)

Edit just saw the skill page. Weird it’s not in the status page but ok

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 26, 2021

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
:lmao: at Hell Biker's voice

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If the Mahatma is wiggling on the item screen it'll learn it's next skill when you level up next

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay wow yeah drat I didn't know how this game handled the compendium, but it just registers a base version of the demon if you've gotten one and fused it away. The only reason I would say don't worry about that too much is that for the really low level demons like, Preta or something, leveling them back up will be significantly easier the second time because of the EXP formula where the bigger the level difference the more EXP you get, so it will be exponentially easier against the enemies in Ikebukuro. I'm playing on Hard so the prices are so high I'll never be able to use the compendium anyways...........

But now I'm running into the issue that I cant find a single elect-immune demon for the next boss

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've liked this last page or so.

It turns out we don't need new and uncharted Shin Megami Tensei games to challenge us. We will happily forget everything about Nocturne and still get demolished by it.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Spiffster posted:

Side questions, I’ve kept the same Magatama equipped since I got it. I have two skills on it that haven’t come out for the MC (counter and an unknown one) does it level skills differently then when I level myself? Should I switch if I haven’t really had any issues?

All skills on magatama become available at specific levels - Counter is locked until level 20, for example.

You should absolutely swap around your magatama. Being able to null a boss's most dangerous attack is really powerful.

And of course access to the elemental skills is good too.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Spiffster posted:

... with me it’s exacerbated by not having a compendium to register it to. I know it’s coming up but I feel like all the effort in unlocking their skills is wasted if I can’t register them and pass it on. Just got to Ginza at level 13 as well and I Beat the ever loving crap out of the first boss outside the tutorial without being touched (SMT buffs and Debuffs are always fun). I may have issues.

Second question- is there anyway in the menus to get a drat idea what some of these skills are? I can’t see what they do unless I am in battle and that annoys me. (Playing switch version)

If you really can't stop yourself from leveling your demons like that (like me) then the grinding DLC is very useful. You'll get items called grimoires that you can use on individual demons (or the Demifiend but don't do that) to give them EXP. This way you can just one-and-done a bunch of demons, save them to the compendium and then fuse them away.

The way Magatama skills work is that you need to be at a minimum level per skill, then level up with that Magatama equipped. So taking Marogareh as an example, you have
Lunge (Level 3)
Analyze (Level 4)
Life Bonus (Level 6)
Berserk (Level 10)
Counter (Level 20)
So you're not going to get counter until level 20 at minimum, though you can still get Counter at 21, 22, 23 and so on. You can tell when a Magatama is ready to teach a new skill by how it looks in the menu, ready ones will be more jittery and highlighted. As for Marogareh's last skill, it's semi secret and locked behind the optional dungeon, so don't worry about it.

For skill descriptions you just need to go into the skill menu.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Looking at a demon list and realizing yeah I'm not imagining it TONS of demons are weak to electricity in this level area and to get one that either nulls/repels is gonna make me go pretty out of my way

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

The worst part of SMT3's OST is that if you're playing the game normally, the best map theme plays for like 8 seconds and then boom final dungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dorkopotamis posted:

I think this is related to a defect in my personal character, but:

I don't like mods in games. I am a purist. If DLC is released for a game, I consider that kosher. If a fan releases a mod, that is haram.

Still, Nocturne was designed nearly two decades ago, it worked well for the time. The additions in the remaster, the ability to change difficulty mid-game, to just have access to game-altering money and experience on a whim: these are simple ideas. I'm sure the OG developers had access to these ideas and decided against them, because they would take away from the experience of playing the game. For me, it already has.

And for those reasons I must issue a fatwa against the additions included in the remaster, despite it being official content. Changing difficulty, using the dungeons, these actions are now illegal.

I apologize to anyone this effects or who disagrees with me.

Getting flashbacks to the guy who hated when game glitches got fixed because it was ruining the original experience