Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's he blood brothers in oWod and that one bee-themed bloodline in nWoD - but those are both vampires and not primarily body snatchers.

The Strix maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
We have an official announcement for the Sabbat V5 book, slated for August:

https://twitter.com/PlayRenegade/status/1397284444331909120

quote:

Brothers and Sisters in Caine, united under the banner of the Dark Father

An antagonists’ guide to the cultic fanatics of the Sabbat, this book contains everything you need to incorporate the infamous Black Hand faction into your Vampire chronicles. Inside you’ll find descriptions of the Paths of Enlightenment, the foundations of Sabbat identity, information on the Gehenna War, and details on how the Sabbat opposes the dread Antediluvians. You’ll get new tools to expand your chronicles, including Discipline powers, minions and servitors, and the horrifying Ritae of the Sword of Caine

Sabbat: The Black Hand is a supplement for the Vampire: The Masquerade Roleplaying Game, outlining in detail the lore and background of the Sabbat, including new Paths and Disciplines, its current customs and practices, and new Storyteller resources for a richer Vampire roleplaying experience.

FEATURES:
Includes descriptions of the Paths of Enlightenment, the foundations of Sabbat identity.

Contains information on the Gehenna War, and how the Sabbat opposes the dread Antediluvians.

New tools to expand your chronicles, including Discipline powers,, and the horrifying Ritae of the Black Hand.

AT A GLANCE
140 page hardcover full color book

Includes red satin bookmark ribbon

This is a supplement for Vampire: The Masquerade Roleplaying book.

ElNarez fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 25, 2021

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

FirstAidKite posted:

What about splat about controlling a hive mind creature like in the movies The Thing, or The Blob, or Slither?

Deviant again. You can make pretty much anything with it. Want to be a weird completely inhuman biofreak that walks into a town and turns everyone into monsters you can control? That's a lot of powers, but nothing stopping you.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Outside of learning a new system, I will never move from V20 to V5 just because of the loving art direction. God that cover is so lame- why wasn't that white marble alternate cover the default?

Kavak fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 25, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, good, the Gehenna War, where apparently the Kindred elders are just having a giant brawl for all and nobody notices despite vampire surveillance being at an all time high.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Didn't the Sabbat mostly gently caress off to the Middle East for Gehenna-related reasons?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

Outside of learning a new system, I will never move from V20 to V5 just because of the loving art direction. God that cover is so lame- why wasn't that white marble alternate cover the default?

I'm glad all their cosplaying friends get to take fun pictures, but yeah, I'd much rather have some of the bad line art from previous editions instead of photos. Plus, V:tM is forever assocaited with Tim Bradstreet art in my mind, same as Werewolf with Ron Spencer, and nothing is ever topping that.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Just a heads up, World of Darkness is about to get a lot of attention, from a surprising source. Hololive English, a group of 5 of the most popular Vtubers with a collective subscriber count of over 6 million, are about to start character creation for their Hunter: the Vigil game.
Prepare for anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPyOZkyIosc

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Just a heads up, World of Darkness is about to get a lot of attention, from a surprising source. Hololive English, a group of 5 of the most popular Vtubers with a collective subscriber count of over 6 million, are about to start character creation for their Hunter: the Vigil game.
Prepare for anime.

Imagine if even a fraction of the people watching start buying OPP stuff.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

It's funny to talk about this driving traffic to OPP because you've got the official WoD channel in the chat for this HtV game telling people to pick up V5 instead when they ask "I want to GM WoD, where should I start?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

It's funny to talk about this driving traffic to OPP because you've got the official WoD channel in the chat for this HtV game telling people to pick up V5 instead when they ask "I want to GM WoD, where should I start?"

Ha! Figures. Amusingly now that the stream's in full gear I don't think anybody gets in a word in edgewise and people look to be mostly spamming emotes. So like a typical VTube stream from what I've seen.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The gently caress they going to do with squaring the circle re Humanity/Convictions/Stains and Paths of Enlightenment anyway?

Soonmot posted:

I'm glad all their cosplaying friends get to take fun pictures, but yeah, I'd much rather have some of the bad line art from previous editions instead of photos. Plus, V:tM is forever assocaited with Tim Bradstreet art in my mind, same as Werewolf with Ron Spencer, and nothing is ever topping that.

Guy Davis and Wraith is another good example yeah.

Pope Guilty posted:

Didn't the Sabbat mostly gently caress off to the Middle East for Gehenna-related reasons?

My current head cannon is [Tzimitsce] going "surprise the Vaulderie was a trick you're my meat puppets now" for why that happened.

*edit*

Random question re v5 actually - are the clans aware that their clan curses have changed? Like would an ancillae Lasombra bitch about how they didn't have a problem with touch screens up until recently? Or a Ravnos neonate refusing to believe their clan used to have such a stupid flaw?

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 25, 2021

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

It's not like still having elders around, refusing to acknowledge Gehenna is here, clinging on to their old way of life and hoarding resources at the expense of younger generations is an interesting and timely allegory or anything, let's just wipe the board clean and send 'em all off to the Middle East. V5 is very smart.

Like, we aren't doing the late-90s millenarianism thing anymore, but intergenerational conflict and impending apocalypse are actually relevant in a way they weren't as obviously so at the turn of the millenium.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 25, 2021

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Personally I do not want a game of parental issues being applied to entire generations of people, but the slow burn of Gehenna as a global warming allegory is right goddamn there.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

The gently caress they going to do with squaring the circle re Humanity/Convictions/Stains and Paths of Enlightenment anyway?

they aren't going to is the answer

https://twitter.com/PlayRenegade/status/1397292054749741058

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, good.

Making every antagonist group playable is one of the things that eventually ate every oWoD game except Werewolf.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Playable Sabbat characters just break what Vampire is, if I wanted to play an unrepentant monster with a hosed-up utilitarian morality I'd just play any old school dungeon crawl.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I feel like it's deliberately vague enough to mean a lot of things, but my guess is it's more that they're going to make all that poo poo player-adjacent, but there just won't be character creation rules. Or, more cowardly, include character creation rules after all but with a sidebar tut-tutting about actually using them.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

ElNarez posted:

Playable Sabbat characters just break what Vampire is, if I wanted to play an unrepentant monster with a hosed-up utilitarian morality I'd just play any old school dungeon crawl.
Camarilla characters aren't necessarily repentant, they're just fussier about getting caught.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Revised Sabbat was fantastic and this is still a shame.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ElNarez posted:

This is the same argument people use against playing a tiefling/dragonborn/etc. in D&D and is just as stupid for exactly the same reasons. Let people play the game they want, using the character they want to play as.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I’d feel really bad for anyone who buys Masq V5 after watching that HtV stream. It’s like recommending Call of Cthulhu after watching a D&D stream where they murder hobo some illithids.

Saying that, I actually would prefer they make all types of characters buildable with the same rule set and design. It makes it much easier to whip up NPCs and antagonists when I ST. It’s also lame when designers are snarky about it in the book (even worse when you have to wait a year+ for the antagonists to be published). The Awakening 2e book did a good job with this re: the Seers being in the book. The nWoD books did a good job painting the bad guys as the bad guys without needing a lecture either.

Basically, I expect it will say that in the character creation section in the Sabbat book.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

ElNarez posted:

We have an official announcement for the Sabbat V5 book, slated for August:

https://twitter.com/PlayRenegade/status/1397284444331909120

I'm curious about Renegade handling this. I thought that White Wolf was bringing stuff back in house now that Swedecula is no more and Achilli is running the show.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dawgstar posted:

Revised Sabbat was fantastic and this is still a shame.

Eh, anything Revised Sabbat could do the Anarchs could do with significantly less needless sadism.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
They are clearly making Sabbat de facto playable. You'll just be able to make a regular character and substitute in the relevant Discipline and Humanity/Path rules. Not that I care or think they shouldn't, but come on.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think the plan has remained to license out a lot of the content creation, just with better oversight now.

This is honestly kind of tacky. A little too much The Brands in their social media outreach.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

This is the same argument people use against playing a tiefling/dragonborn/etc. in D&D and is just as stupid for exactly the same reasons. Let people play the game they want, using the character they want to play as.

This isn't true. The problem with letting people play Sabbat/Technocrat/BSD or whatever (including a lot of CoD opposition splats) characters is that they're directly morally and narratively opposed to the main characters, as the specifically villainous groups.

Like, there are certainly grogs out there who only want you playing the "standard" splats for whatever game it is, and if it wasn't in Vampire 1e's core rulebook then you can't do it.

But the problem with making the Sabbat playable is definitely much more about morals (and as people have pointed out, squaring the paths of enlightenment with V5's humanity mechanics is gonna suck) and goals, instead of the D&D style "you can't be the cool race that's extra magic." That door is way already open in V5, since the Lasombra and Tzimisce already have playable options as standard player characters.

A better contrast to D&D is if everyone expected to play a regular game and you sat down with Skullfucker, your antipaladin who'd already taken Lichloved and wanted to gently caress the boss of the dungeon.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't V5's metaplot shifts already pull some of the popular player options out of the Sabbat?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, good, the Gehenna War, where apparently the Kindred elders are just having a giant brawl for all and nobody notices despite vampire surveillance being at an all time high.

I'd bet money on it being Swedracula's plan to reveal that ISIS was actually mostly just western propaganda to hide the vampire brawl, but it's so obviously the case that that no bookie would accept the bet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Five Eyes posted:

Didn't V5's metaplot shifts already pull some of the popular player options out of the Sabbat?

Yes, they no longer have unique clans (although there could be some very tiny groups that are Sabbat only if they're still around, like the Old Blood Tzimisce). That's why the comparison to getting told you can't play the cool different new races in 5e sucks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

citybeatnik posted:

Eh, anything Revised Sabbat could do the Anarchs could do with significantly less needless sadism.

Not really. The Sabbat is the experience of a night-to-night life in a Gehenna cult and just how that shakes down to the typical vampire in the sect, like what do you do your holy cause with options ranging from "everything" to "eh, whatever" with the added complication of magically-enforced loyalty to the vampires closest around you that might also be actual loyalty if you're lucky. Also you have to go to Sunday school sometimes whether you like it or not.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mulva posted:

Deviant again. You can make pretty much anything with it. Want to be a weird completely inhuman biofreak that walks into a town and turns everyone into monsters you can control? That's a lot of powers, but nothing stopping you.

Sure, but by that logic you wouldn't even need to play much of anything else because deviant can just recreate it. Deviant's focus on escaping conspiracies and existing in a body that is more or less a ticking time bomb is different enough from a dedicated "born as a hive/swarm monster" splat imo.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dawgstar posted:

Not really. The Sabbat is the experience of a night-to-night life in a Gehenna cult and just how that shakes down to the typical vampire in the sect, like what do you do your holy cause with options ranging from "everything" to "eh, whatever" with the added complication of magically-enforced loyalty to the vampires closest around you that might also be actual loyalty if you're lucky. Also you have to go to Sunday school sometimes whether you like it or not.

My experience with the game on chats, from New Bremen onwards, is that almost nobody really cares about that part of it when they could instead be putting babies on spikes while spamming "it's a world of darkness not rainbows!" in the ooc channel.

At least the drat Anarchs have fun when they play Nines.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Prepare for anime.

This was a great character creation session, though Gura was a bit out of it, probably because of the 9 hours she had just spent playing Devil May Cry 3.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm fine with the Sabbat being an NPC option akin to the Belial's Brood or the VII in VtR but something that's easy to reverse engineer. As mentioned all the stuff needed to play a Sabbat vampire are already pretty much there so it's not like it's going to be a big deal unless you want one of the many overpowered or useless for PC bloodlines of the Sabbat.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

As long as they also remove how one of the key markers for a Sabbat-held city being majority-minority...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

As long as they also remove how one of the key markers for a Sabbat-held city being majority-minority...

With their North American headquarters being the capital of the largest origin of immigrants to the United States...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Montreal as the Sabbat theological center has always been hilarious too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kavak posted:

With their North American headquarters being the capital of the largest origin of immigrants to the United States...

Was. The Camarilla retook it.