Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SlimGoodbody posted:

fundamentally change every single piece of the story you propose to be telling

But it doesn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The narrative throughline of the film does not change because it includes UFOs, robot zombies, and time loop theory.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

josh04 posted:

Seems like an excessive amount of literalism to be applying to a film set in zombie vegas that's never in focus. He's talking about time loops and the camera plays along with his ruse for a few second. It's the same setup as when they're talking about how easy the plan is going to be and the camera shows them all in a circle shooting outwards; no-one yet has tried to claim that that sequence literally happened.

It’s not confusing or a plot hole, it’s that it sucks to hint at a way more fun movie then make the most basic and rote zombie movie imaginable. Give us the crazy stuff.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think we have some pretty fundamental differences of opinion on whether a movie is wasting its viewers time by just making GBS threads out a bunch of random nonsense that it wants you to think is maybe tied to the plot but also "uhh ehhh maybe not idk it's not like I'm the director or anything"

There is "not everything has to fit into one neat little package" and then there is adding a fistful of throwaway elements that fundamentally change every single piece of the story you propose to be telling and it's sloppy as poo poo

Why does everything need to be so plot centric? Is David Lynch the laziest director?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

The narrative throughline of the film does not change because it includes UFOs, robot zombies, and time loop theory.

Prefer if it did personally.

e: again, I was hoping for some kind of third act twist. It's a heist movie! That's what it's supposed to do!

instead the characters called it in the first 40 minutes (which took way too long to get them to the action of the plot) and still went along with it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

josh04 posted:

Seems like an excessive amount of literalism to be applying to a film set in zombie vegas that's never in focus. He's talking about time loops and the camera plays along with his ruse for a few second. It's the same setup as when they're talking about how easy the plan is going to be and the camera shows them all in a circle shooting outwards; no-one yet has tried to claim that that sequence literally happened.

It never even occurred to me that the time loop was possibly "real" and not just that character killing time ( :haw: ) while prepping/waiting for the explosives to be ready until I read this thread. But now I hope it comes up somehow in whatever other spinoff stuff they do.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Shageletic posted:

Prefer if it did personally.

e: again, I was hoping for some kind of third act twist. It's a heist movie! That's what it's supposed to do!

instead the characters called it in the first 40 minutes (which took way too long to get them to the action of the plot) and still went along with it?

Its not a heist movie, is the thing that annoys me. It took the simplest 3 word concept of a heist movie of "people want thing" and a couple half hearted stabs at heist movie things (the elaborate model to plan, the eccentric safecracker) and then just did nothing with it. There's no elaborate plan, there's no group of people using their special skills to overcome the defenses. They go to the vault, the safe cracker opens it, they're done. No fun stuff allowed

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The problem is that the film wants to benefit from making you think "hey, maybe there's something to the time loop", but it doesn't do enough to reward that line of thought. Like a lot of potentially neat ideas in the movie it's just sort of placed there.

I know a lot of handwaving is being done because this is a zombie movie with wacky sci-fi elements but I think it's fine to want and expect more, regardless of genre. Mining these ideas would make the movie even more fun, not less.

Does it actually want you to think there's something to the timeloop theory? My takeaway from that scene was "Van is loving with the new kid" not "Van might have a point here". I thought it was a fun joke.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My takeaway wasn't Van was loving around, my takeaway is Van has a Galaxy brain and always is thinking about these kinds of things

Also I suspect the purpose of it is actually a little sinister, it's to encourage a rewatch to bump up views to look more successful on Netflix. Cause hey, time loop theory, might be fun to watch again and look for details. Netflix: Wow a higher than normal percentage of subscribers who watched this watched it twice, get Snyder on the phone and greenlight a sequel

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 25, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My takeaway wasn't Van was loving around, my takeaway is Van has a Galaxy brain and always is thinking about these kinds of things

Fuckin philosophy majors

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's a heist movie, if anything it's not a zombie movie. There's virtually no siege scene, no tension that there's this unkillable horde slowly pressing in. The Alphas do function a lot like werewolves or vampires in the sense that they are conceivably capable of fighting each member of the team and winning a 1v1, which traditional zombies are absolutely not. Zeus is more of a Dracula than anything else, holed up in his figurative castle with his Bride and turning people that he finds in an initiation ritual.

The heist part has the traditional "put the team together" scene, the planning scene, throws in a fun power fantasy scene for a good time, they find the money, there's a double cross, there's an escape. It passes all the signposts of the genre, while largely avoiding zombie genre stuff. I mean no siege, no running out of supplies, nobody hiding their bite from the rest of the group, etc.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 25, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s not confusing or a plot hole, it’s that it sucks to hint at a way more fun movie then make the most basic and rote zombie movie imaginable. Give us the crazy stuff.

The film ends with a nuclear explosion wiping out Las Vegas, idk.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It was an okay movie, not great, not the worse thing, just somewhere in the very middle, like a five out of ten. If you start asking why to various aspects of the movie it really does fall apart.

If you can sit back and want to kill two plus hours it's not the worse way to do so.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone get a screenshot of the computer model of the Vegas wall? It looked like they only walled off the strip at first, but it goes by so fast I could be wrong.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Hoping for this in the prequel/whatever spinoff stuff they do.

Like unironically just have the military recover and do weird science/robo zombie stuff with Bautista and Vanderohe, there's your Army of the Dead

Speaking of this they're not used much but was Nightmare City (1980) the first zombies with guns movie (also the first fast zombies movie)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKa_B6vkVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNd8aL41c5I

First fast zombie movie was Night of the Living Dead (starts with an obviously fast and smart zombie with a slight limp that only slows down when it looks around and sees its friends and decides to start shambling like them), and then you have Dawn of the Deads kid zombies in the gas station who are obviously fast because Romero didn't give a gently caress about slow zombies vs fast really when it served the plot.

That may be the first zombie with guns movie though.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

The second half of Van's statement is regarding who lies particularly outside the time loop, constructing it. The mercenaries take on this once-in-lifetime heist to escape the grinding repetition of their everyday lives, and eerily find themselves caught in another. Dieter vibes with him and offers his own thought about how the vault's entrance offers a way out of this loop - through either death or rebirth.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It starts as a heist movie. When Martin takes the head, that reveals that the characters were just being tricked into thinking they were in a heist movie, and were actually in a conspiracy thriller the whole time. Or at least, the villains thought they were. Everyone is in denial about the kind of movie they're actually in, because it's one of the worst kinds of movie to be in. But by taking that head, Martin is messing with forces beyond his understanding: Zeus has been content to let a heist movie take place on his turf, but when he hears the queen's death cry and marches the army of the dead into battle, the movie's true overriding genre asserts itself.

That's why there's all these UFOs and timeloops in there, the movie is confused. "What loving genre am I?" The waveform eventually collapses, triggered by Martin's betrayal. It's got zombies in, so it's a zombie movie. And in zombie movies, everyone is hosed. The villain in a conspiracy thriller might escape to menace the heroes another day, but in a zombie movie the best the villain can hope for is to defiantly say "choke on 'em" to the zombies eating his intestines.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Piell posted:

Its not a heist movie, is the thing that annoys me. It took the simplest 3 word concept of a heist movie of "people want thing" and a couple half hearted stabs at heist movie things (the elaborate model to plan, the eccentric safecracker) and then just did nothing with it. There's no elaborate plan, there's no group of people using their special skills to overcome the defenses. They go to the vault, the safe cracker opens it, they're done. No fun stuff allowed

Deiter used his skills to open the safe, Tig fixes the helicopter, Coyote helps them navigate the strange land, Scott is the field leader and field leads, they absolutely use their skills to circumnavigate obstacles

Also it's funny that in the space of like 10 posts the complaints went from "why is there these weird timeloop things that don't add to the story" to " why is there no fun allowed?!"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Also big lol at the "no one emotes" person

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Not sure why people are angry about Snyder having fun.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Judakel posted:

I don't think they're mad he's having fun, I think they don't like the way he has fun (which is to add extemporaneous elements that don't have any overt effect on the plot, or subvert genre expectations in ways they find unsatisfying)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Because they know better and man, if they just had ONE chance they could make a better movie. It's loving EASY.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I don't know if you guys keep lolno-ing people's valid and well explained critiques, which have been frequently raised by numerous people, out of bad faith trolling or if you literally don't understand that you're constantly doing it every time anything about this director's projects come up, it's moved beyond frustrating and into the realm of anthropological fascination. Like it's literally the firmament of the thing that happens in every thread where the director comes up and then you feel slighted because everyone is accusing you of saying "if you didn't like Snyder's masterpiece it's because you weren't smart enough to understand the huge brain geniusness of it all and actually anything you think could be lacking in it is actually there and good or if it's not there it's also good and that's why it's good." But you're doing it. This is the thing, happening, currently.

ANYWAY fukken come on this is not a David Lynch project and it's silly imo to equate the carefully intentional and ubiquitous surreality of, say, Twin Peaks, with a pretty boring, average zombie movie with a couple throwaway lines/background gags that only seem to exist as a directorial shrug at best or, as mentioned above, an angle by which to snag repeat views for the algorithn. If it's the second it's smart, but it implies unfortunate things about future media if it catches on.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Judakel posted:

Self-indulgent art owns.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

McCloud posted:

Deiter used his skills to open the safe, Tig fixes the helicopter, Coyote helps them navigate the strange land, Scott is the field leader and field leads, they absolutely use their skills to circumnavigate obstacles

Also it's funny that in the space of like 10 posts the complaints went from "why is there these weird timeloop things that don't add to the story" to " why is there no fun allowed?!"

Either do stuff with the timeloop or don't include it in the movie, this movie is filled with pointless half steps towards something more interesting than the mostly stock characters and plot line that are the backbone of the movie. Drop the painfully boring cliche of literally everything the daughter is involved with, or the blatantly obvious betrayal that the characters themselves point out but proceeds to play out exactly as everyone in and out of the movie expected it to and instead focus more on the actually more interesting ideas

Piell fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 25, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't know if you guys keep lolno-ing people's valid and well explained critiques

See what's great is that this is an internet forum so we can literally rewind time (as though we are in a time loop) and interrogate this. Here's the first 5 negative reviews of this movie in this thread, in their entirety. Lucky for you, your review is listed in the first 5:

admataY posted:

Many years ago , when a game Called " Duke Nukem Forever " was resurrected from vaporware status and about to be released , there were hardcore DNF evanglists who swore this thing gonna be awesome and show everyone how a REAL MAN shooter looks and feel like . Then it came out, and the goal post moved from " its gonna be a masterpiece " to " it was always gonna be a basic oldschool meat and potatoes shooter " . Then, even the most hardcore admitted that it sucks .

My metaphors are as subtle as Snyder's , and Army of the Dead didnt even had the decency to be hilariously bad, instead settled into a long middling slog of by the number zombie tropes and cliched .
For all the hype... this is what we end up with ? And maybe snyder needs a strong studio to boss him around and force him to tight things up, because if Army Of was 40 minutes shorter it might have been decent . As it is its a long boring road to get to the somewhate entertaining but all too brief last 30 minutes .

Occasionally , Rarely , this movie gets as stupid and over the top as it needs to be, like when buff zombie go full Night King on his horse, but these moments are few and fleeting .

smellmycheese posted:

The title sequence was the best bit, certainly the only bit that felt it was in Las Vegas. The rest is a dull slog of clunking twists that are telegraphed in BIG LETTERS from miles away, a couple of painfully awkward character development scenes, nonsensical decisions on the part of both humans and zombies, all finished off with a nice tribute to the worst scene in the Indiana Jones movies

(in a later post)

And the action scenes were incredibly pedestrian and boringly directed

SlimGoodbody posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I read this thread. This movie was excruciatingly boring and predictable. It wasn't even that nice to look at!

Shageletic posted:

why is this movie so long. why is it so boring. why does it feel like everyone is stuck in the BLURRY ZONE

While I believe these are all valid, I leave it as an exercise to the reader to determine if these are "well explained" or if they mostly involve people saying "you all are stupid/crazy, and this movie is boring"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

lol who the gently caress was saying Army of the Dead was going to be a masterpiece of cinema? The anti-Snyder people have some serious issues to work out with how they perceive things.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't know if you guys keep lolno-ing people's valid and well explained critiques, which have been frequently raised by numerous people, out of bad faith trolling or if you literally don't understand that you're constantly doing it every time anything about this director's projects come up, it's moved beyond frustrating and into the realm of anthropological fascination. Like it's literally the firmament of the thing that happens in every thread where the director comes up and then you feel slighted because everyone is accusing you of saying "if you didn't like Snyder's masterpiece it's because you weren't smart enough to understand the huge brain geniusness of it all and actually anything you think could be lacking in it is actually there and good or if it's not there it's also good and that's why it's good." But you're doing it. This is the thing, happening, currently.

ANYWAY fukken come on this is not a David Lynch project and it's silly imo to equate the carefully intentional and ubiquitous surreality of, say, Twin Peaks, with a pretty boring, average zombie movie with a couple throwaway lines/background gags that only seem to exist as a directorial shrug at best or, as mentioned above, an angle by which to snag repeat views for the algorithn. If it's the second it's smart, but it implies unfortunate things about future media if it catches on.
generally speaking I don't see terms like "masterpiece" or "genius" used to describe the guy's movies. Except maybe by like comic book fans on twitter, who are clearly grading on a curve

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Whether or not a time loop exists, the whole scene of Vanderhoe theorizing it and Dieter imagining it works for me as characterization for both, showing them both as kind of weird, showing them bonding, and making me care more whether they live or die.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I kinda hope this franchise goes the way of F&F where theres a relatively "held back" starter movie that drops a lot of seeds and will seem quaint in comparison to the absolutely bonkers directions it goes. For all its faults I do think it lays the foundation for a lot of filmmakers like Matthias to have some fun in without it having to be too overly concerned with a tight continuity or box office obligations.

I get peoples frustrations with the seemingly random things he sprinkles throughout the film and I get disagreeing with that formula of franchise making, but Im on board for the wide net they cast to make films within this IP.

I already really like that theyre doing a total departure from zombies with the upcoming Army of Theives.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 25, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's nearly a thought where when characters talk a thing the narrative Walter Mitty shows us their theoretical. Soldiers talk area 51? UFO. Boss talks heist? Montage. Van talks time loop? Time loop.

This totally falls apart because the robots are explicitly ignored by every character but they're shown.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

This you?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

The opposite side of the "You just didn't like the masterpiece cause you didn't get it" coin is the equally smug and obnoxious "You guys are stupid for enjoying this piece of crap and are reading way too much into it because, I, the savvy movie understander, have determined it's a dumb film"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

moths posted:

There's nearly a thought where when characters talk a thing the narrative Walter Mitty shows us their theoretical. Soldiers talk area 51? UFO. Boss talks heist? Montage. Van talks time loop? Time loop.

This totally falls apart because the robots are explicitly ignored by every character but they're shown.

the robots come after the rest making them a punchline or ironic reversal of that trend. Here's all the weird stuff people are imagining, here's the weird stuff actually happening that they ignore because by that time it's blunt life-or-death time

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

What you specifically protested against earlier was the idea of a filmmaker throwing out things that don't directly relate to or pay off in the plot.

SlimGoodbody posted:

This notion that 'everyone is trying to declare AoTD a flawless masterpiece that detractors are too dumb to understand' is a fantasy you've constructed to prevent engagement. What you're getting so exasperated about is the basic premise of formal analysis - to try to cohere a unified vision of what the work is trying to tell you. If you want to throw your hands up and say it's all incomprehensible garbage, you're certainly free to, but it's not interesting.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 26, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

josh04 posted:

The film ends with a nuclear explosion wiping out Las Vegas, idk.

It did! and it had aliens! and a zombie tiger! and a robot zombie! and zombie strippers!

In isolation it had a cool checklist of cool ideas for things that could be in a movie, but none of it mattered much.

There is a reason this is the specific movie where they could digitally edit out an actor and edit in another one: nothing in this movie mattered very much. You could take out any part and have the same movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

I was going to explain to you how a message board works but instead i'll just suggest you gently caress off with this constant, insufferable whining about Snyder fans

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The robot zombies, the baby, and UFOs are post credits stingers placed in the beginning/middle of a film. Snyder clearly has a penchant for dropping random bits of franchise/world building in the meat of his films as opposed to post credits and it definitely rubs some people the wrong way but Ive always enjoyed that quirk about his methodology.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It did! and it had aliens! and a zombie tiger! and a robot zombie! and zombie strippers!

In isolation it had a cool checklist of cool ideas for things that could be in a movie, but none of it mattered much.

There is a reason this is the specific movie where they could digitally edit out an actor and edit in another one: nothing in this movie mattered very much. You could take out any part and have the same movie.

movies have digitally replaced actors before. The Star Wars special edition did it in 1997 (Jabba the Hutt was originally a human) and the (I think) Bluray release of Phantom Menace replaced a puppet Yoda with a CG one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

McCloud posted:

Also big lol at the "no one emotes" person

Makes sense to me. The only emotion redlettermedia fans feel is being a miserable person to talk to.