Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

"In my time at OZ I've developed an Aesthetic sense of War" Zechs Marquise

Wing is a goldmine for utterly deranged quotes

It's pretty short, but the battle between Zechs and Heero is the best fight since the first clash in the opening episode

I'm not gonna lie, Wing is a lot more Metal Gear Solid than I remembered
Pagan is a cool butler

Everyone is so incredibly nonreactive to crazy poo poo, Relena finds out her long lost brother is alive and the top ace of OZ and barely seems to care

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Speaking of:

As Nero Danced posted:

Three episodes into Gundam Wing, I forgot how suicidal Heero was, and how bad he was at pulling it off.

I keep hearing Little Nicky in my head, "that didn't kill me, it just hurt a lot."

I forgot that that was almost a direct quote.

Watching it now, the strongest thing in Wing's favor is it has some great mobile suit designs, but there's a lot of eye rolling dialogue.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 25, 2021

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
As a person who makes bad life choices, how drunk do I need to be binge through Destiny this weekend after I help my friend with making her concrete patio (we're both fully vaccinated)? I am aware of the dumb Neo Roanake poo poo but I never made it past episode one way, way back and I heard Cagalli gets really terrible, which doesn't make me look forward to it since I really like Cagalli.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you like cagalli then don't watch destiny, no.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

One of Destiny's goals from minute one is to utterly destroy Cagalli as a character and insult anybody that liked her.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you insist on watching Destiny do the movies.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Just from a time perspective, binging a 50-episode show over one weekend is pretty impressive.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I'm sure this was probably discussed pages back when the news first broke, but what is the general thought/rumor on the upcoming Netflix movie with respect to actual plot?

Gundam doesn't seem to have ever really fully remade anything in the past, so do we all think it's likely that they go for an original story? Or are they going to attempt to pander to the American audience and just adapt the series that is/was most popular here?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nothing concrete but it will probably be an adaptation of 0079 in some regard. The director gives me hope it will be good but I'm concerned about Netflix suits having their hands on the project.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nothing concrete but it will probably be an adaptation of 0079 in some regard. The director gives me hope it will be good but I'm concerned about Netflix suits having their hands on the project.

I dunno if Vogt-Roberts fills me with a lot of hope. He really only has one blockbuster movie under his belt and then an MGS project that will probably never actually get running off the ground.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

As a person who makes bad life choices, how drunk do I need to be binge through Destiny this weekend after I help my friend with making her concrete patio (we're both fully vaccinated)? I am aware of the dumb Neo Roanake poo poo but I never made it past episode one way, way back and I heard Cagalli gets really terrible, which doesn't make me look forward to it since I really like Cagalli.

Blackout is the answer because you won't want to remember any of it by time you're done with it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/Hansuke21/status/1396790078693908480

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

New series altogether? My first thought was an Astray anime, but I guess that rules that out.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Would they announce a new animation project in a manga magazine? Seems like the kind of thing you'd hold a presser for; or announce on the general website.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hope it's an ova or movie. I don't want the next fifty episodes of gundam to be seed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tsob posted:

Would they announce a new animation project in a manga magazine? Seems like the kind of thing you'd hold a presser for; or announce on the general website.
they've announced new stuff in gundam ace occasionally, iirc the origin ovas got announced in it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think there were plans for a SEED movie back after Destiny finished. I wonder if they are dusting those off.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I mean alright I guess.

Movies, ova etc, whatever it is needs to be unrelated to the characters we had or something. Just if its new make it new. No one needs more of Kira/Athrun/Pink Hair Pop Star Lady.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I mean alright I guess.

Movies, ova etc, whatever it is needs to be unrelated to the characters we had or something. Just if its new make it new. No one needs more of Kira/Athrun/Pink Hair Pop Star Lady.

Lol if you think we're ever getting away from Jesus Yamato in the CE.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Give us another IBO show where the human debris system gets abolished after a slave uprising puts the political gears in motion to fight against human rights violations.

And then it leads into an interplanetary war because Gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

I think there were plans for a SEED movie back after Destiny finished. I wonder if they are dusting those off.

Seems unlikely. The ongoing reason we heard for their delay was Morisawa's poor health and considering she's passed on it doesn't seem like they'd pick up her stuff.

If nothing else they are going to have to have a new writer.

I mean alright I guess.

It seems pretty unlikely they are going to make a Gundam SEED movie that has nothing to do with Gundam SEED, including removing the characters so popular they topped popularity polls for something like a decade.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Watching ZZ for the first time and yeah, the it's a hell of a lurch, but the first ten episodes have some very well executed comedic moments. It's a real credit to the direction how well the writing, foley, voice, and animation come together on some of the punchlines.

Also, goddamn, from where Glemmy's introduced to what his legacy ends up being, that dude's gotta be one of the most sharply recontextualized characters in the franchise. Should be very interesting to see the rest of this.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Seems unlikely. The ongoing reason we heard for their delay was Morisawa's poor health and considering she's passed on it doesn't seem like they'd pick up her stuff.

If nothing else they are going to have to have a new writer.
It seems pretty unlikely they are going to make a Gundam SEED movie that has nothing to do with Gundam SEED, including removing the characters so popular they topped popularity polls for something like a decade.

You also kind of can't tell any more stories in the SEED universe without at least peripherally involving the Lacus faction, given that they're effectively in charge of the world after Destiny. I guess you could do a major timeskip or something but then you run into the aforementioned problem of "why would you make a SEED product without any of the actual popular and marketable aspects of SEED".

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I'm aware, I get it.

I just really would be more interested in the setting if it was moving on from them or if they're legacy background characters like Destiny tried to pitch, then laughed in our faces as it hosed off to even deeper waters full of Kira's holy tears. To the points made, that seems unlikely verging on impossible for that corner of the franchise.

I know it'll be time for the Strike Freedom Alto Shine Gundam Extreme 4.0 so he can laser beam everything into pacificsm.

Maybe they'll just wipe destiny from continuity. I'd be cool with that too. Ah wait no we can't give up those gunpla sales of different color zaku variants.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Give us another IBO show where the human debris system gets abolished after a slave uprising puts the political gears in motion to fight against human rights violations.

And then it leads into an interplanetary war because Gundam.

I mean, the human debris system was abolished already. That was the ending to IBO. Rustal and Kudelia even did a big photo op for it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Gundam SEED: Awakening of The Trailblazer - This time instead of metallic hive mind shapeshifters it is just a bunch of space whales.

Gundam Dynamite SEED: Cagalli and Fire Bomber have to stop Kira and Athran from poaching all the space whales with the power of music.

Just give me space whales Sunrise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, the human debris system was abolished already. That was the ending to IBO. Rustal and Kudelia even did a big photo op for it.

But wasn't that years later after the fight with McGillis? You could slot a slave soldier uprising in there somewhere.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Maybe they'll just wipe destiny from continuity. I'd be cool with that too. Ah wait no we can't give up those gunpla sales of different color zaku variants.

I would still buy Zaku variants and be happy for Destiny to no longer exist.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arcsquad12 posted:

But wasn't that years later after the fight with McGillis? You could slot a slave soldier uprising in there somewhere.

It is several years after McGillis, yeah.

A general debris revolt seems kind of unlikely, since the climax and conclusion of the McGillis incident was a very publicly televised and deliberately propagandized example of what Gjallarhorn is willing to do to slave soldiers who rise up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Would cheapen the epilogue somewhat to start saying that actually the reason they ban slavery was this other uprising off screen, not all the uprisings (including massively increased use of child and slave soldiers) we already saw in two seasons of show.

The political process takes years but the events that cause the change happen before and during the McGillis Fareed "incident".

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Apprentice Dick posted:

I would still buy Zaku variants and be happy for Destiny to no longer exist.

If buying Zaku variants would make Destiny be wiped I would buy them all.

I haven't watched Age (given the multiple warnings about how bad it is), but I honestly am not sure there is a Gundam property that makes me madder than Destiny. There might be a few selections that are worse, but Destiny just upsets me with how poo poo it was.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sassassin posted:

Would cheapen the epilogue somewhat to start saying that actually the reason they ban slavery was this other uprising off screen, not all the uprisings (including massively increased use of child and slave soldiers) we already saw in two seasons of show.

The political process takes years but the events that cause the change happen before and during the McGillis Fareed "incident".

It also takes away a nice little character beat where one of the big factors in the ban is Makanai fighting for it out of gratitude for Chad saving his life.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I'm aware, I get it.

I just really would be more interested in the setting if it was moving on from them or if they're legacy background characters like Destiny tried to pitch, then laughed in our faces as it hosed off to even deeper waters full of Kira's holy tears. To the points made, that seems unlikely verging on impossible for that corner of the franchise.

I know it'll be time for the Strike Freedom Alto Shine Gundam Extreme 4.0 so he can laser beam everything into pacificsm.

Maybe they'll just wipe destiny from continuity. I'd be cool with that too. Ah wait no we can't give up those gunpla sales of different color zaku variantsStrike Freedom and Infinite Justice.

I would assume any new Strike and Justice units will use something akin to psycoframe for SEED mode to be honest, since that's basically the new hotness since SEED and Destiny aired. Or at least that they'll open up to reveal glowing panels and lines as they do something extra powerful. Maybe that'll just the Freedom analogue, and the Justice one will have living metal while the Destiny gets butterfly wing nanomachines. That immediately eat itself and explode, killing Shinn and throwing Cagalli out of the plot somehow.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I can't wait to see how much of the runtime is taken up with 4K sepia footage of that cellist getting machine gunned.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

I can't wait to see how much of the runtime is taken up with 4K sepia footage of that cellist getting machine gunned.

That's it. That's the movie.

A cellist getting machine gunned for three hours.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

jackhunter64 posted:

Say what now?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i wonder how many women will be brutally microwaved this time

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I wonder if they’ll unironically give Kira the Enduring Freedom.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ojjeorago posted:

I wonder if they’ll unironically give Kira the Enduring Freedom.
What’s next? Divine Justice and Manifest Destiny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

God I hope so