Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

:yotj:

Promotion onto the main system administrator team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hell yeah

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:yotj:

Promotion onto the main system administrator team.

Nice! I know you've been working your butt off, well deserved!

It really is YOTJ.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, funny thing is that I've barely been working at my current position because it barely requires any work, so I'm looking forward to actually having stuff to do. I've basically just been sitting around routing tickets and procrastinating on studying for the RHCSA.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, funny thing is that I've barely been working at my current position because it barely requires any work, so I'm looking forward to actually having stuff to do. I've basically just been sitting around routing tickets and procrastinating on studying for the RHCSA.

I am sorry to inform you, the higher you go, the less you do.

I am not kidding.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Sickening posted:

I am not kidding.

In my experience, the higher you go, the more useless meetings you have to attend. Especially the ones that could have just been an email.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah my boss is always in meetings, gently caress that

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Plain old seniority works too. When everyone knows who you are and how you get poo poo done when it's necessary you get a lot of latitude to gently caress off when stuff is quiet. No manager hat required, and more importantly, no meetings.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

xzzy posted:

Plain old seniority works too. When everyone knows who you are and how you get poo poo done when it's necessary you get a lot of latitude to gently caress off when stuff is quiet. No manager hat required, and more importantly, no meetings.

Yeah, it's more this for me. I'm an "expert"/senior and get poo poo done so I get a very free reign. Even in a unionized public sector org I get a lot of freedom, and I can make decisions and get poo poo done. It rules.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

I am not kidding.

Can also confirm this is true.

I worked 10 times “harder” when I made a third of what I do now.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I spent too much of my afternoon trying to get C# to compile successfully in VS code on Linux, then spun up a VM and tried it, wondering why it was a mess of issues and all the guides and fixes on stackoverflow seemed to be talking about a totally different IDE until I realized that VS and VS code are in fact different IDEs.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Silly Burrito posted:

In my experience, the higher you go, the more useless meetings you have to attend. Especially the ones that could have just been an email.

Moving into a management/"technical leader" capacity was the biggest mistake of my career. I hate it. I'll take a pay cut just to get out.

Other people are capable of ruining your perfectly productive day, and because other people are idiots, they often do. Introvert? Ambivert, but have days where you just want to put your head down and do some work? Hah. Buckle up fucko, you're a PROFESSIONAL TALKER now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like whenever I try to put my head down and I'm not doing PROFESSIONAL TALKER stuff I just inevitably eat a poo poo sandwich over and over. Thus, I get annoyed, and don't get to spend much time in my sysadmin cave. I just get to the point where I'd rather fight the battle earlier in the process.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 26, 2021

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I remember not too long ago when I was genuinely excited to be in meetings and lowkey astounded anyone paid attention to me.

Also +1 on the less work thing. I literally took a nap today, it was deserved because I talked good at a meeting and signed on to do a thing that’s way more work than I initially realized.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I get that in a lot of cases more senior positions mean less work, but hoo boy the level of technical debt at this company. The way I've put it we would currently have a good amount of staff if we had double the staff for 6-12 months to catch up to where we should be.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Ever since I accepted the head of infrastructure position I've become what feels like 4x as busy. Granted, I work for a company still in its startup phase and we had a few major infra-centric people leave right before I took the role so a lot of responsibility shifted to me.

I really do miss the days of doing 1 or 2 hours of real work and calling it a day though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I get that in a lot of cases more senior positions mean less work, but hoo boy the level of technical debt at this company. The way I've put it we would currently have a good amount of staff if we had double the staff for 6-12 months to catch up to where we should be.

This is endemic. You'll see it almost everywhere you go. You'll never get that double staff, and even if you did, they'd take 6 months to really hit the ground. Which makes it really important to protect yourself and your team from unimportant work and that everyone acts as efficiently as possible to get the tech debt down to manageable levels, that way you're not drowning in it.

The lack of understanding on how to approach this problem is a big reason that I'm leaving my current place.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Internet Explorer posted:

This is endemic. You'll see it almost everywhere you go. You'll never get that double staff, and even if you did, they'd take 6 months to really hit the ground. Which makes it really important to protect yourself and your team from unimportant work and that everyone acts as efficiently as possible to get the tech debt down to manageable levels, that way you're not drowning in it.

The lack of understanding on how to approach this problem is a big reason that I'm leaving my current place.

This is why I left my last job after 5 years, the leadership wasn't interested in changing things. That's how they got the technical debt in the first place. They're happy to just find another sucker to keep the lights on and wring dry I'm sure. I realized it around year 2, spent around a year fighting it, then the last 2 (thanks covid!) just accepting it & cashing the checks.

Also I'll say it: I like sharepoint. It's fine, the trick is to not under or over use it, which I know is really glib to say but if you under use it nobody will ever convert and become an advocate of it, and if you over use it well it's sharepoint and your users will quickly find every edge case you could never dream of.

but im also going to get my sharepoint cert since work is gonna pay for it - that and MS virtual desktop (which I like & deployed previously), i'm not stupid I want that remote admin job.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 26, 2021

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Internet Explorer posted:

Internet Explorer is entirely correct. Technical debt is forever and an inevitability, and you will never get to a place where there is nothing to do.

That's okay! That's just part of the process, and it's an inevitable casualty of cloud adoption and a development cycle that incentivizes rebuilding everything every three or four years.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Windows virtual desktop really owned at my last job where 98% of the people do not "compute" anything even though they use a computer. There's never even anything as advanced as an excel formula running - the most advanced thing they do is merge PDFs or Fill & Sign. :allears:

For keeping our loving secure data out of the grubby user's hands it was great too

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sepist posted:

Ever since I accepted the head of infrastructure position I've become what feels like 4x as busy. Granted, I work for a company still in its startup phase and we had a few major infra-centric people leave right before I took the role so a lot of responsibility shifted to me.

I really do miss the days of doing 1 or 2 hours of real work and calling it a day though.

Yeah, I think this is an overlooked story in the "as you get higher up you have less work to do." It doesn't really square with the part we all know is true, there is always way more work than what can actually be done. If you end up somewhere that has a lot of technical debt, which is likely, and you're willing to push hard to make change, there's plenty to do. In my experience, I float back and forth between being gung-ho about improving things, getting burnt out and putting my head down, then getting pissed off enough to start going on a "fixing things" rampage, rinse and repeat. Sometimes "fixing things" is on the technical side, sometimes it's on the process side, sometimes it's helping the rest of my team get up a notch.

It's certainly all very exhausting, though.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

bus hustler posted:

Also I'll say it: I like sharepoint. It's fine, the trick is to not under or over use it, which I know is really glib to say but if you under use it nobody will ever convert and become an advocate of it, and if you over use it well it's sharepoint and your users will quickly find every edge case you could never dream of.

SharePoint Online is pretty great. Migrating our users data from on-prem to team-sized Team-linked SharePoints has been a massive improvement. The biggest problem I'm seeing over and over again is user confusion between how OneDrive, SharePoint, and Teams overlap. I'm really thankful for our training people, they're really making all the difference in helping our users understand the new system.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sharepoint online only works well in the context of OneDrive and teams.

If you’re doing literally anything else with it, it is not a good time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft need to sort whatever backend issues SharePoint has that means each Office 365 license gets 1TB of OneDrive space but the actually useful to a company SharePoint storage is 1TB plus 10GB per licensed user, with additional storage priced at $0.17/GB.

They made a big deal about the OneDrive client being able to deal with files up to 250GB in size recently, now they just need to stop storing files as base64 text in a SQL database or whatever.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have a site (one of many) where multiple wireless APs are rejecting associations, saying that they have too many clients to service a new station. They have no clients. What would cause this? I thought about co-channel interference -- maybe they will reject if they don't think there is enough airtime for more clients on this channel? -- but while we haven't quite gotten to the point of performing a survey, the density of APs and users is not unusual here. Symptomatically, we have some other issues that suggest network congestion (phones reregistering, etc.), but can't find any sign of it, and I wouldn't think that that would cause this issue.

It's also possible that I'm misunderstanding these logs from my client monitor, as the under the hood stuff sometimes isn't written clearly, but this is what I'm seeing:

code:
(112)Tx assoc resp <reject> (status 17, pwr 14dBm)
I'm basing my interpretation on this Cisco chart. (The APs are Aerohive, but as far as I know these are part of the 802.11 standard and should match across vendors. Aruba has a chart that names them slightly differently, but the codes and the reasons are the same.

I'm also seeing a lot of de-auths with reason code 4, which the log describes as <assoc-leave> but which these charts appear to describe as "disassociated due to inactivity." But this is happening repeatedly in the space of several minutes. Initially we thought this was a device issue, but when we went out to do testing, we had these problems too.

In terms of both switch and AP configuration, this site is like our others, and we are only seeing these problems here.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Try using default radio profiles and see if that helps the issue - found this suggestion here, seems like there are some tertiary issues but:

https://community.extremenetworks.c...31#post19893631

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Had another bad interview today and I'm honestly questioning everything.

The guy asked me what the CIDR notation was for a /29. Isn't /29 the CIDR notation??? Honestly thought I knew what a CIDR notation was but I'm so terrible at these interviews I'm not sure anything I thought I know is correct any more. How have I been this poo poo for so long?

I asked him if he meant the subnet mask and he just repeated the question.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Why not put companies like that on blast?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

bus hustler posted:

Try using default radio profiles and see if that helps the issue - found this suggestion here, seems like there are some tertiary issues but:

Thanks! I'll take a look.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Had another bad interview today and I'm honestly questioning everythin.

The guy asked me what the CIDR notation was for a /29. Isn't /29 the CIDR notation??? Honestly thought I knew what a CIDR notation was but I'm so terrible at these interviews I'm not sure anything I thought I know is correct any more. How have I been this poo poo for so long?

/29 is the CIDR notation, I don't know what that guy wanted but he's insane.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best case it was a trick question to get idiots to describe class subnetting and disqualify them for being tricked.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Dude was gaslighting you and you dodged a clown bullet.

"CIDR notation specifies an IP address, a slash ('/') character, and a decimal number. The decimal number is the count of leading 1 bits in the network mask. The number can also be thought of as the width (in bits) of the network prefix. The IP address in CIDR notation is always represented according to the standards for IPv4 or IPv6." <- literally from the wikipage

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

here's my bad interview story from 6 years ago? Wow how time flies:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I had an interview Monday for Linux administrator. One of the tech questions was:

Interviewer: You have a server that you want to add swap space too, however the hard drive is totally full, and you can't add a hard drive. How do you add swap space.

Me: Well, if the drive is full, you can't add a swap file at all. Do you mean the drive is fully partitioned or that the drive is full of data with no more room for any new data.

Interviewer: Yes, both.

Me: You can't add swap if the drive is full, you can't add a swap partition, and you can't add a new file to a completely full drive.

Interviewer: Yes you can. You sure you are a linux admin?

Me: Hold on, I think we are just not thinking on the same lines. I have a drive, it's fully partitioned?

Interviewer: Yes

Me: Ok, and then there's a bunch of partitions, all of those partitions are completely full?

Interviewer: Yes

Me: Ok, so the disk is full you can't add to it.

Interviewer: Yes you can, it's a two letter command.

Me: Well, you use mkswap and swapon, but a two letter command that lets you add data to a full drive? I mean you could use dd and just make a 2gb file, but you have no room for that file.

Interviewer: I never said there's no room.

Me: Uh....dd

Interviewer: finally

They called me back actually, but I don't them no, since lol 24/7 support of 50 servers. Not rotation, but you are the guy on 50, backup on 50, and then if you don't answer your phone, and the backup doesn't answer you get fired. Mandatory bi-weekly sunday maintenance/update changes and 4 months of hell work for a datacenter migration both physical and from AIX to Linux. Nope.

*if the disk was fully partitioned and all partitions were full, you could use dd and do something like dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sda1 and completely nuke a partition, but the guy was not talking about that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Riot Games had 5 interviews to make sure I was a gamer.

When they finally got around to actual skill screening. They put me up for a networking position (I can't do that), the interviewer was condescending and cursed, and also expected me to know how their network and servers were delineated when I asked how they were at the end.

They're obsessed with culture fit, and then the place is full of creeps. At least I didn't have to pretend to like League after that lol

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

skooma512 posted:

Riot Games had 5 interviews to make sure I was a gamer.

When they finally got around to actual skill screening. They put me up for a networking position (I can't do that), the interviewer was condescending and cursed, and also expected me to know how their network and servers were delineated when I asked how they were at the end.

They're obsessed with culture fit, and then the place is full of creeps. At least I didn't have to pretend to like League after that lol

I'd just mention a bunch of DOTA2 heroes and see if they kick you out of a window.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been in networking for about 15 years now and /27, /28 and /29 still require mental gymnastics to convert

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'd just mention a bunch of DOTA2 heroes and see if they kick you out of a window.

When asked about league of legends 'I dunno,, it sounds like a jank mod for warcraft'

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The correct answer to all of these dumb interview questions is google. I’ve used some version of “I don’t know off the top of my head but I can look it up when I need to.” In every drat interview for the past decade. There’s no reason to memorize trivia.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sepist posted:

I've been in networking for about 15 years now and /27, /28 and /29 still require mental gymnastics to convert

I know the ones I use all the time by heart. Everything else is easy to figure out but I am not going to be able to tell you the details within a second or two like I can with those few. I assume it's like that for everybody. As long as you understand how it works and can get what you need I don't really see any value in memorizing that stuff.

bus hustler posted:

I think this may have helped. Thanks again!

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

guppy posted:

I know the ones I use all the time by heart. Everything else is easy to figure out but I am not going to be able to tell you the details within a second or two like I can with those few. I assume it's like that for everybody. As long as you understand how it works and can get what you need I don't really see any value in memorizing that stuff.

Yeah, same. /30 and /29 I know off the top of my head since they're the most common for small public IP allocations, and obviously /16, /24, /8, and /23 to some extent. For the rest it takes a few seconds to count powers of two up or down from the nearest common one (who's using /27 and /28 commonly? I almost never see or need those, other than things like email spam provider or VOIP provider server IP block allowlisting).

Also, anyone who prides themselves on having memorized the entire set is gonna have a real fun time when IPv6 really starts being used widely, which I'm sure is just around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

deedee megadoodoo posted:

The correct answer to all of these dumb interview questions is google. I’ve used some version of “I don’t know off the top of my head but I can look it up when I need to.” In every drat interview for the past decade. There’s no reason to memorize trivia.

My Spirit animal.

I am swamped with interviews folks. Everyone wants to talk to me and I am addicted to doing them. I am looking to upgrade my second job and/or totally ditch my director of infosec gig entirely. $$$ numbers seem to keep going up and everyone is hiring.

I had an interview today in fact, a 2nd deep dive interview for a cloud security role with a devops engineer putting me under the microscope. He was a nice dude, but some of the things he did was really not necessary. He had to look at some terraform code and asked me to spot the error. I looked at the code for a few moments and asked "has this code ever worked?" and he pushed me to find what was wrong with the code again. Umm, can I not really do a TF validate here so TF finds the error for me? Turns out, the only issue in the code (which was 16 lines) was a single " . I wasn't really in the mood for it and I tried to point out to him that something a little more obvious was probably a better test of familiarity. He also pushed me with question like "what does code for adding a waf in azure look like" and I could only laugh and say "exactly what the examples in Microsoft's wiki say they are" and he didn't seem amused. I simply don't free type my terraform code from memory. I don't give a poo poo about syntax or how AWS's api's are leveraged in terraform, I only care about what works and saving it for later. Unless there is a certain security concern in your code, does it work? Cool, I could give a gently caress.

I was told I am getting another retention bonus at my main gig today. Don't even know the number yet. Embarrassment of riches lately.